Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

GET HYPE ALL OVER AGAIN! U.S. Continuum Shift this Summer

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Luke

It's official!  Aksys Games is once again taking the reigns and is publishing BlazBlue: Continuum Shift here in the U.S./North America by the Summer of 2010!  

Check-out their official Press Release here:  

http://www.aksysgames.com/2010/03/19/get-hype-all-over-again-blazblue-continuum-shift-coming-to-your-xbox-360-and-playstation-3-this-summer  

…Rebel 1… FIGHT!

The ground-breaking High Definition 2D fighter BlazBlue makes its triumphant return to home consoles!

Get your ticket to Kagutsuchi, ‘cause the hype train is coming!

Torrance, CA (March 19th, 2010) – Aksys Games, a publisher of interactive entertainment products, proudly announces BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, coming summer 2010! BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger was recently a top-4 finalist in the VGA Awards, and Aksys Games is proud to announce that we will be bringing the arcade sequel to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system from Sony!

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift inherits all the key features of its predecessor while adding a few twists of its own. Tsubaki, μ-12 and Hazama will join the ranks of the veterans, who will be reborn with additional moves added to their arsenals. With new modes like Beginner Mode and Tutorial Mode, even fighting game beginners can pull off combos like the pros and dive right into the action.

Full Press Release, Screenshots and Trailer after the jump.

“If you’re not on the hype train this time, you’re missing out on the latest, greatest 2D game from Arc”, exclaims Gail Salamanca, Marketing Director at Aksys Games. “GET HYPE, CHOO CHOO!”

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Key Features:

• New Modes, including Beginner Mode, Tutorial Mode and Challenge Mode!

Beginner Mode welcomes a wider audience with an easier control scheme; anyone can jump right in and play! Tutorial Mode allows novices and pros to practice everything from the basic mechanics unique to BlazBlue to the most complicated and powerful combos. Challenge Mode offers advanced players a chance to complete character-specific combo goals and missions.

• Take over Kagutsuchi by creating your own army in Legion Mode!

Defeat the enemy armies positioned at various locations on the map. The ultimate goal is to fill the entire map with your color by defeating all the enemy armies. Recruit enemy soldiers by defeating them!

• Brand new characters, stages, soundtracks and moves!

Welcome Hazama the mysterious mastermind, Tsubaki the valiant female knight and μ-12 to the world of BlazBlue!

Three-dimensional effects and 2D visuals integrate seamlessly on every one of four completely new stages, accompanied by seven banging new songs written by famed composer Diasuke Ishiwatari specifically for Continuum Shift!

• Online battling domestically and overseas!

Players can battle others from around the world via Xbox LIVE and the PlayStation Network. Players can not only search for matches, play games and observe matches online; they can also chat with friends while playing.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Maybe I'm spoiled by SSFIV, but couldn't we ask for more than three new characters?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Cool. I really loved BlazBlue.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @AgentJ said:
    " Maybe I'm spoiled by SSFIV, but couldn't we ask for more than three new characters? "
    I would only agree with this if I bought the first BlazBlue...but i didn't so yay new game.
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By VicRattlehead

still havent got calamity trigger over in europe yet :(... think ill just import this and not bother with the wait this time

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " Maybe I'm spoiled by SSFIV, but couldn't we ask for more than three new characters? "
    I would only agree with this if I bought the first BlazBlue...but i didn't so yay new game. "
    Well I didn't buy the first SFIV, so touche!
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    I would only agree with this if I bought the first BlazBlue...but i didn't so yay new game. "
    Well I didn't buy the first SFIV, so touche! "
    enjoy your discount :)
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @AgentJ said:
    Unlike 3D characters, HD 2D characters take quite some time to make.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By JJOR64

I enjoyed the first game so I'll probably pick this one up as well.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Forcen

So this is the same as the upcoming European version?

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I really wish I was good at fighting games so I could play this. Or at least somewhat decent.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    Well I didn't buy the first SFIV, so touche! "
    enjoy your discount :) "
    And you enjoy whatever bonus they include for previous owners!
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    Unlike 3D characters, HD 2D characters take quite some time to make. "

That may be true, but Id still like to see a larger roster. The original wasn't exactly packed itself. Couldn't we wait a little longer for it?
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Whisperkill

Is it full price?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @AgentJ said:
    There's a LOT more than just characters going into this one.  They've got tons of new stages, new music, new modes, improvements to the online (which was already incredible), rebalancing...I mean, it's going to feel like a whole new game for the most part... 

...which is great.  One of the nice things about BlazBlue, in comparison to Street Fighter, is that even newbies who haven't played fighting games before can go in and feel a sense of accomplishment.  The controls for this game aren't so difficult that a novice can't do well in it.  Meanwhile, experts and fighting vets have found an immense level of depth in the game. 

I'm really psyched about Continuum Shift, as I enjoyed the first game quite a bit.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Yes. I managed to get a hold of the Arcade version and man, it's pretty good. I really like what they've done to Hakumen and Arakune, Arakune's bugs are MASSIVE! Hakumen feels a bit more fluent too.  

I really like Hazama too - his Drive move is kind of like Scorpions rope thingy, except Hazama uses some greenish, spirit like chain and he can use to enemy as a grapple point to fling himself toward. I can imagine ti would get pretty crazy if you figure him out really good. 

Tsubaki seemed like a pretty fun character too, she has a somewhat short reach because her sword is really small but her drives are very powerful.  

I'm glad this isn't coming out like months and months after the Japanese version, like some other games do. 

I think the improvements they made to this game will be more than enough to warrant a new game. The characters in BB are so deep that playing each character is like learning to play a totally different game.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @AgentJ said:
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    That may be true, but Id still like to see a larger roster. The original wasn't exactly packed itself. Couldn't we wait a little longer for it? "
    They could always have a larger roster, but that'd result in a completely gimped list of moves. I mean, KoFXII's Terry didn't even have his Power Dunk because the artists were too spread out over different characters.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    That may be true, but Id still like to see a larger roster. The original wasn't exactly packed itself. Couldn't we wait a little longer for it? "
    They could always have a larger roster, but that'd result in a completely gimped list of moves. I mean, KoFXII's Terry didn't even have his Power Dunk because the artists were too spread out over different characters. "
    It's called "Take your time and don't release the game until its a finished product". Thats how I see it at least. I mean, I pretty much avoided the game because it didn't have one of the most iconic characters in the series: Mai Shiranui. Releasing the game a month later and it might be sitting in my collection right now.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    They could always have a larger roster, but that'd result in a completely gimped list of moves. I mean, KoFXII's Terry didn't even have his Power Dunk because the artists were too spread out over different characters. "
    It's called "Take your time and don't release the game until its a finished product". Thats how I see it at least. I mean, I pretty much avoided the game because it didn't have one of the most iconic characters in the series: Mai Shiranui. Releasing the game a month later and it might be sitting in my collection right now. "
    While I do agree with you, SNK needed to get that game out of development regardless of how finished it was. It was either make a small bit of money immediately or face another bankruptcy incident.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By animateria
    @xyzygy said:
    " Yes. I managed to get a hold of the Arcade version and man, it's pretty good. I really like what they've done to Hakumen and Arakune, Arakune's bugs are MASSIVE! Hakumen feels a bit more fluent too.   I really like Hazama too - his Drive move is kind of like Scorpions rope thingy, except Hazama uses some greenish, spirit like chain and he can use to enemy as a grapple point to fling himself toward. I can imagine ti would get pretty crazy if you figure him out really good.  Tsubaki seemed like a pretty fun character too, she has a somewhat short reach because her sword is really small but her drives are very powerful.   I'm glad this isn't coming out like months and months after the Japanese version, like some other games do.  I think the improvements they made to this game will be more than enough to warrant a new game. The characters in BB are so deep that playing each character is like learning to play a totally different game. "
    Is that the 'PC' version? :P

Hazama is a pretty bad character to play, from what I've seen of the arcade crowd anyways. And I've only seen 1 Tsubaki player, she doesn't quite have the finishing touches to make her great. Kinda depressing when new characters can't quite bout with the originals on equal grounding (Oh, Street Fighter 4, I'm looking at you too! Better shape up for SSFIV!).

I see the most wins from Lichi, Carl, Arakune, Bang, Jin and Tager. 

Anyways, SSFIV spoiled me even before it's out, CS better not be full price.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    It's called "Take your time and don't release the game until its a finished product". Thats how I see it at least. I mean, I pretty much avoided the game because it didn't have one of the most iconic characters in the series: Mai Shiranui. Releasing the game a month later and it might be sitting in my collection right now. "
    While I do agree with you, SNK needed to get that game out of development regardless of how finished it was. It was either make a small bit of money immediately or face another bankruptcy incident. "
    Ah, I forgot about that. Still, couldn't they have added characters through DLC after they avoided bankruptcy?
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Tiwi

I want to fucking strangle them! HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET AWAY WITH NOT RELEASING THAT SHIT IN EUROPE!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By animateria
    @AgentJ said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    While I do agree with you, SNK needed to get that game out of development regardless of how finished it was. It was either make a small bit of money immediately or face another bankruptcy incident. "
    Ah, I forgot about that. Still, couldn't they have added characters through DLC after they avoided bankruptcy? "
    That splits the user-base (Unless it's garbage characters like SC4's Vader or Yoda)... And why make characters DLC when you can add a couple and sell 13 for a full price?

Either way, SNK has it's work cut out in my book, KOF12 was the least appealing of the 'next-gen' fighting games.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By xyzygy
    @animateria: Yeah, It was the "PC" version, hehe. 

Mind you, I haven't gotten to play it on a controller I feel comfortable with - I'm merely speculating at their moves based on what I've seen. I'm definitely going to have to play with them more when the retail version comes out.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan

I can't wait for this. Because of the month or so delay in Canada, a lot of my local stores didn't even get the original game and I never got to play it as a result. Hopefully they won't have another one of those problems, and I'll be playing it.....probably a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

And Europe hasn't even got the first one yet. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Forcen said:
    " So this is the same as the upcoming European version? "
    No, this is a completely updated version.
    The European version is a massive slap in the face at this stage.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The reason you don't see BlazBlue adding 8 new characters is because unlike Street Fighter, BlazBlue doesn't have 3-5 characters who handle the exact same at every level up to professional.  The game I play with Litchi is way different from my Tao game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.