Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

Oddly Torn ...

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Vanek

I can only imagine how many people will read this and think "That game came out months ago, who cares?" and to them I say ... that's not very nice.  

No Caption Provided
    As a UK resident I have the privilege of waiting a ridiculous amount of time for the game to be released and still have to pay full price.  Oh, and for the trouble we get a "limited" edition with things packed in that I can imagine few people care about.  I for one never really care about art cards, mini soundtrack CDs or half of the other things that get packed in with games these days.    

The thing is, despite the stupid release time I enjoyed the first game enough to want BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.  I always liked the weird character designs and overall quirkiness of the original game.  The question is do I like it enough to pay more or less full price (the cheapest I can find it online is £32.99 which translates to $50) before considering DLC and have to deal with the same problems next year when they inevitably do the same thing again. 

So now you should hopefully understand why I'm torn.  After looking around the BlazBlue forums and sadly finding little activity I decided to open the floor for opinions.  I'd especially love to hear from any UK users, and lets keep comments civil.
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Vanek

I can only imagine how many people will read this and think "That game came out months ago, who cares?" and to them I say ... that's not very nice.  

No Caption Provided
    As a UK resident I have the privilege of waiting a ridiculous amount of time for the game to be released and still have to pay full price.  Oh, and for the trouble we get a "limited" edition with things packed in that I can imagine few people care about.  I for one never really care about art cards, mini soundtrack CDs or half of the other things that get packed in with games these days.    

The thing is, despite the stupid release time I enjoyed the first game enough to want BlazBlue: Continuum Shift.  I always liked the weird character designs and overall quirkiness of the original game.  The question is do I like it enough to pay more or less full price (the cheapest I can find it online is £32.99 which translates to $50) before considering DLC and have to deal with the same problems next year when they inevitably do the same thing again. 

So now you should hopefully understand why I'm torn.  After looking around the BlazBlue forums and sadly finding little activity I decided to open the floor for opinions.  I'd especially love to hear from any UK users, and lets keep comments civil.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By ESREVER

This made me weep:     

I for one never really care about art cards, mini soundtrack CDs or half of the other things that get packed in with games these days.    

I'm in the US, so yes, I got my BB on time. However, I would have loved to have the swag that came along with the Limited Edition that was offered in the UK. I'm still on the hunt for a Noel Vermillion petit nendoroid...
    It's safe to say I love practically anything BlazBlue and Noel related. 

The quirkiness is as strong as ever in the second game, and done much better I think. It's also quite hilarious a times. I would say it's worth the price of $50. Although, the retail price for me was $40.
    mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mwng

Who cares, that game came out mon... Oh.

In the same UK based boat here, but I enjoyed the first one more than enough to warrant paying full price for the second one. It is unfortunate how badly the EU has been screwed on this, having the original release date set in October (4 months after the US and JP) and then having that date set back again and again to December. On top of that, those regions getting the game for half of the original price, while we still have to pay full retail.

There's a couple of active players on these boards of ranging skill levels (I doubt anyone is much worse than me), not nearly as many some games, but probably enough to get a room going every now and again (can't really say, as like you, I still don't actually have the game yet).

It's a shame you didn't manage to get in on the crazy Zavvi deal which was the LE version with Makoto DLC for only £17.50, but most copies being sold off now for around the £30 mark come with Makoto. Valkenhayn should be coming out later this month and he should be at a discounted price of 320 Microsoft Points so the DLC isn't too taxing.

I guess it all boils down to how much you liked the first one and how much you see yourself playing the second one (at the very least it'll tide you over while you wait for the EU delays of BlazBlue 3).

Edit: Bam £17.91 without any extra stuff. Makoto will set you back 560 Points though should you choose to buy her.

Edit 2: I forgot to add while I was whining, that the cover art is ugly as sin too.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vanek
    @ESREVER:   

I wouldn't mind the price if we got the tiny figure and DLC code, but that's only in the "Fan" edition which I believe is an online only limited run and costs more the the regular edition our stores are getting.  The only swag we get is eight character cards with moves listed and a 96 page art book.

I can honestly say I'll probably only look at the art stuff once and that's it.  I would have rather gotten it without that, on time and for less in an instant. 

@mwng:   

I think the biggest issue is how the EU, as you said, has been screwed yet there are no signs of change.  I can see this happening with the next game and it needs to stop. 

On the plus side I had never heard of Zavvi before now and after checking it found the LE with Makoto is £32.99.  That's better than what amazon were offering.  As for future DLC I wouldn't hold my breath on it being discounted. 

Bleh, I guess £32.99 isn't so bad considering I paid £39.99 for Alpha Protocol at launch ...  XD
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I had the fan edition on order but recently cancelled it. 

Much of the content is being given away as free pre-order bonuses..  the Noel figure and artbook in particular and to through salt into that wound, the game is being sold for around £30 at most retailers, much cheaper than what the developers are charging on the official website for their limited edition.  After this happening and the repeated delays, they either should have lowered the cost of the fan editions or included more content, especially considering there's already three or four DLC characters up in the US.  I'm really disappointed by how they've handled the whole release in Europe and honestly just don't care to buy the game at all any more.

And knowing these developers there will just be another "sequel" update shortly.  It just really isn't worth the money.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mwng
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" And knowing these developers there will just be another "sequel" update shortly.  It just really isn't worth the money. "

In their defense, there was a full year between BB:CT and BB:CS, it just seems like no time at all in the EU as BB:CT was delayed for a year, meaning only a matter of months separated the games. The next update to the game SHOULD be coming in the form of a free downloadable patch which includes a whole bunch of rebalancing and a few reworks to the mechanics.

Although they'll probably go and prove me wrong now by making you pay for the patch and announcing BB: 3 for Q1 2011.
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vanek
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I had the fan edition on order but recently cancelled it. 

Much of the content is being given away as free pre-order bonuses..  the Noel figure and artbook in particular and to through salt into that wound, the game is being sold for around £30 at most retailers, much cheaper than what the developers are charging on the official website for their limited edition.  After this happening and the repeated delays, they either should have lowered the cost of the fan editions or included more content, especially considering there's already three or four DLC characters up in the US.  I'm really disappointed by how they've handled the whole release in Europe and honestly just don't care to buy the game at all any more.  And knowing these developers there will just be another "sequel" update shortly.  It just really isn't worth the money. "
    The prices on the official website are just insane.  I do agree that more should be been done to apologise for the ridiculous delays, but I don't resent them enough to completely give up and boycott the game.   

I have no doubt in my mind that next year they'll do the same thing and release another updated version, and if the EU version is released months after the US version then I'm out.  It's a great game and an absolute sin that it's being handled so damn badly.
    Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jaktajj

Word Vanek, I'm glad SOMEBODY still cares about Blazblue! Just got mine in the post this morning from amazon - though am not gonna open it til Christmas rolls around due to work and stuff. I personally feel Giantbomb's coverage of the Blazblue series is the one time Giantbomb has let me down, it's such a high quality game full of interesting things and everything so lovingly designed - I don't believe it has been represented well on this site at all!

Any idea when the DLC characters will be up for grabs on Europe PSN?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

Australia is just as bad with the release date, and we get NO limited edition. They give us NOTHING. Hell, i still don't have my godamn copy yet.
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vanek
    @el_tajij said:
    " Word Vanek, I'm glad SOMEBODY still cares about Blazblue! Just got mine in the post this morning from amazon - though am not gonna open it til Christmas rolls around due to work and stuff. I personally feel Giantbomb's coverage of the Blazblue series is the one time Giantbomb has let me down, it's such a high quality game full of interesting things and everything so lovingly designed - I don't believe it has been represented well on this site at all!  Any idea when the DLC characters will be up for grabs on Europe PSN? "
    I've got to admit it would be awesome to see more BlazBlue coverage on Giantbomb but it'll never happen.  At least that was the impression I got after watching the quicklook for the original game. 

I know Makoto is already on XBL as of this morning for us, and believe both DLC characters are on PSN as well.  If not by the time you get round to playing it at Christmas they'll be waiting for you.  =)
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By XenoNick

Just got back from Uni and got the standard version in HMV for £20 which was handy as I had a £20 voucher that didnt know what to use it on. Game and Gamestation wern't selling copies. Think I'll go download Makoto now. I should be able to download it even though i'm currently on silver yeah?

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Jaktajj
    @Vanek said:
    I've got to admit it would be awesome to see more BlazBlue coverage on Giantbomb but it'll never happen.  At least that was the impression I got after watching the quicklook for the original game. I know Makoto is already on XBL as of this morning for us, and believe both DLC characters are on PSN as well.  If not by the time you get round to playing it at Christmas they'll be waiting for you.  =) "

Yeah, I personally feel from the Quicklook that Jeff and Ryan gave - it just seemed like Jeff couldn't be bothered or something. Calamity Trigger was probably the best game I've played this year in overall fun-ness and it didn't seem like Jeff gave it the time of day it deserved. I really enjoy Street Fighter IV (which Jeff strongly supports) but compared to all the detail that's gone into the world, characters and story of Blueblaz, Street Fighter feels pretty empty in comparison.

Won't lie as well, will probably crack it open and have a sly little go before I hit the hay tonight! =D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.