Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

Seems the story mode is still pretty silly

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Bocam

Not to mention the gag reels
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm getting in my car to go get this right now

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

And were you expecting the game not to be silly?

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Urmean

Ragna gag ending was the most amazing thing I've seen. I tried to stifle laughter as I was confusedly entertained. Ghost pirates.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

At least it has a story mode, which is still pretty awesome.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Good to see that BlazBlue hasn't lost its touch for absurdist comedy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hailinel said:
    " Good to see that BlazBlue hasn't lost its touch for absurdist comedy. "
    I would not buy a blazblue game that made sense...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    I would not buy a blazblue game that made sense... "
    You know, the story does make sense, but the games never take themselves painfully seriously.  It's a wonderful sort of balance they've struck, and it flies in the face of anyone that's ever used the "Fighting game stories lol" argument.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    You know, the story does make sense, but the games never take themselves painfully seriously.  It's a wonderful sort of balance they've struck, and it flies in the face of anyone that's ever used the "Fighting game stories lol" argument. "
    That doesn't make any sense. That is the opposite of "flying in the face" of something.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cornman89

Christ.

I admit, I'm so prejudiced against fighting game stories that I will probably never take one seriously, but there's something to be said for a game recognizing it's an uphill battle and just going full-bore crazy instead.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    You know, the story does make sense, but the games never take themselves painfully seriously.  It's a wonderful sort of balance they've struck, and it flies in the face of anyone that's ever used the "Fighting game stories lol" argument. "
    That doesn't make any sense. That is the opposite of "flying in the face" of something. "
    Actually, yes it does.  The story mode in both BlazBlue titles is fleshed out well beyond that seen in any other fighting game series.  The branching paths and multiple endings for each character allow the true story to be told while also allowing for divergent splits into goofy joke endings, all while maintaining an overall tone that never becomes too grim for its own good.  The games tell stories while simultaneously having fun with the characters, and not in the "Here, you beat the game with Dan, so here's his goofy ending" sense.  They are full narratives, with text and dialogue linking the battles together.  Sometimes the reasons for fighting are meaningful, sometimes they're flat-out crazy, but by the end of each character's story, you know much more about who they are and what they do.  Do the characters fall into chiches and archetypes?  Sure, but then most fighting game rosters have that issue.  That BlazBlue's story goes as far as it does is reason enough to commend it.

Comparatively, Street Fighter's narrative is paper thin, and the supposed emphasis that Mortal Kombat has on story is put to shame.  (Though, MK's designers are at fault there, given that they gave up pretty much any pretense of compelling storytelling with Armageddon.)  BlazBlue does more to dispel the notion that fighting games can't have good stories than any other fighting game I can think of.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: Street Fighter ain't really about the story. That's why it's such a good fuckin' fighter. I can't say the same for BlazBlue. Sure, a story is nice, no matter how crazy it can be, but in the end, with this type of game, it's about the game and how it plays.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By luce

The story in Blazblue is very similar to Disgaea (atleast in my experience) 

Goofy anime dialogue with sexual innuendos and charming characters

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel:Street Fighter ain't really about the story. That's why it's such a good fuckin' fighter. I can't say the same for BlazBlue. Sure, a story is nice, no matter how crazy it can be, but in the end, with this type of game, it's about the game and how it plays. "
    This isn't a cause/effect relationship here.  If Capcom really wanted to, I'm sure that they could put out a Street Fighter that had a truly great story mode without supposedly sacrificing the quality of the gameplay itself.  It's ridiculous to think that you can't have both.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: I s'pose. King Of Fighters always had a legit story and they have put out some great games. Street Fighter lost it's way a little bit with IV, so the story is kind of messed up. It just seems to me to be a trend that when you try to make good on both fighting and story, one of those suffers, or sometimes both. People put in a shitload of hours to just make minor tweaks to the balance of a fighting game. Figuring out plot holes and evening out a story takes unnecessary time. Story has always been backseat in fighting games. BlazBlue ain't going to change that.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel:Street Fighter ain't really about the story. That's why it's such a good fuckin' fighter. I can't say the same for BlazBlue. Sure, a story is nice, no matter how crazy it can be, but in the end, with this type of game, it's about the game and how it plays. "
    This isn't a cause/effect relationship here.  If Capcom really wanted to, I'm sure that they could put out a Street Fighter that had a truly great story mode without supposedly sacrificing the quality of the gameplay itself.  It's ridiculous to think that you can't have both. "
    This. 

If you haven't read much about it yet, Napalm, those involved with the development of MvC3 are putting a heavy emphasis on the story mode in that game and it will most probably be an excellent fighting game.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel: I s'pose. King Of Fighters always had a legit story and they have put out some great games. Street Fighter lost it's way a little bit with IV, so the story is kind of messed up. It just seems to me to be a trend that when you try to make good on both fighting and story, one of those suffers, or sometimes both. People put in a shitload of hours to just make minor tweaks to the balance of a fighting game. Figuring out plot holes and evening out a story takes unnecessary time. Story has always been backseat in fighting games. BlazBlue ain't going to change that. "
    You make it sound as though the people devoted to balancing the game are the same people responsible for the story.  If you have the staff to dedicate to both parts, there's no excuse for one to impede on the development of the other.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: lmao
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Vade

Street Fighter players trolling other fighting game forums? Oh wait, that's not new at all.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel: lmao "
    And the conversation was going so well, up until this point.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EliasT

Hahaha, nice.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: Naw, it really wasn't. The whole conversation regarding story in games is pointless in my opinion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you just don't care about the story. They are ridiculous and ludicrous just the same. Which also brings into question why I originally posted in this thread. OWELL.
    tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By tranquilchaos

Anything with a title like BlazBlue is going to be silly. 

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By papercut

It appears the wheel of fate is still turning. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel: Naw, it really wasn't. The whole conversation regarding story in games is pointless in my opinion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you just don't care about the story. They are ridiculous and ludicrous just the same. Which also brings into question why I originally posted in this thread. OWELL. "
    Well, that's you're opinion, but that's not the way I see it.  I have no qualm with fighting games that make competitive play the first and only priority (see:  Virtua Fighter series).  However, my preference is for games with interesting characters and stories, fighting games included.  Does it ultimately matter why one dude is beating the tar out of another?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'd rather see developers at least make an effort in giving more to fighting games than the basic lip service of character intros, endings, and a vast sea of minutiae not found within the games themselves.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By napalm
    @Hailinel: HOLY CRAP DUDER. I forgot Virtua Fighter 5 had NO STORY AT ALL. All you get is a two-sentence blip in the booklet being like, "yo son, Jacky Bryant is from the U.S. who likes motorbikes and shit dawg, he's kinda cocky, get it!"
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Rxanadu

Speaking of crazy stuff in BlazBlue, check this out!   It's one of Ragna's joke endings.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @Napalm said:
    " @Hailinel: HOLY CRAP DUDER. I forgot Virtua Fighter 5 had NO STORY AT ALL. All you get is a two-sentence blip in the booklet being like, "yo son, Jacky Bryant is from the U.S. who likes motorbikes and shit dawg, he's kinda cocky, get it!" "
    Yeah, as story goes, VF5 was as bare-bones as you can get even for a fighting game.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By landon
    @Rxanadu: Did they change Ragna's voice actor? He sounds different.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @Bocam said:
    "  
      Not to mention the gag reels "
    God forbid they actually try to make it not serious. 

For all the fighting games that try too hard with their stories, this game is usually light hearted and is deliberately generic, pretty just so as many of the characters as possible just have some kind of interesting relationship. Where as in Street Fighter where Fei Long, Juri, and Ryu are complete strangers. 
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @Landon said:
    " @Rxanadu: Did they change Ragna's voice actor? He sounds different. "
    Nope. Same English and Japanese voice actors as Calamity Trigger. But Doug Erholtz does worse as Hazama in my opinion. 
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By ESREVER
    @Rxanadu: Hehe, that was Rachel's gag ending. That scene was awesome... 

BBRROTHHERR!!!!! 
    "WUUUUAAAGGGHHHHHH!?" 
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Rxanadu
    @ESREVER: Never knew.  Thanks for the info.  Then again, it may have been stated in the video's description and I just didn't remember.
    ProtonJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ProtonJon
    @Rxanadu said:

" Speaking of crazy stuff in BlazBlue, check this out!   It's one of Ragna's joke endings.

"
    Wow, I don't remember any of the endings in BlazBlue #1 being that absolutely insane, or did I miss something?
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By ESREVER
    @ProtonJon: Well in CS, every character has their own "gag" ending. They're just comprised of random nonsense situations. And if you save the game before the gag ending you can load it back up and it would be called gag reel, instead of Noel Scene #6 for example. 

CT kind of had these, but they weren't labeled as such. They were just a branching storyline that was lighthearted. 
     For example, when Noel gets harassed by Litchi to dress her up. (Which in my opinion, was much more entertaining that Tsubaki's dress up)  

Anyway, I found the majority of the gag reels hilarious. The "Please help me Prof. Kokonoe" segments were also very entertaining. Especially Jin's. 

Hilarious.
    Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Atary77

With a subtitle like Continuum Shift I didn't expect it to make much sense. Not that it has to.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DoctorOptimist

It's intentionally silly in it's own animeish and Japanese style, it's not meant to be taken seriously and it's added as an excuse for over-the-top fighting.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By McQuinn

Well the story is much more entertaining (and long, sigh) than the first one. I really enjoyed how retarded some stories are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.