Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

Why you love/hate BlazBlue...

• 65 results
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ESREVER

I love the BlazBlue series. 
    Not that that is out of the way, heres why. 

I've never been that big of a fighting game fan. I played the occasional Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat back in the day. Even dabbled in some 3D fighters, first being Tekken Tag Tournament for the ps2.Then moved on to others likes DoA and Soul Calibur. Sure I enjoyed these games, but I never really knew how to play them. I would just blindly button mash. Even when I tried learning the moves of some of them, things just wouldn't click. (Although I did love the training mode for DoA, it would move on to the next move when the previous one was completed... convenient I thought) 

But there was something about BlazBlue that just attracted me to it. Was it the name? The logo? The art style? I remember watching GT review for it and the gameplay vids they would release of it and thinking this game looked amazing for a fighter. So when it came out, I went and picked it up Day one. And now I'm a huge fan of the series. I might not do well at the game, but I just love it's style. The characters are amazing and unique. (No Ryu/Ken cases) And it offered easy to learn methods, but enough depth to truly be difficult to master. I mean, who ever would have thought someone would get a fighting game for story? But BlazBlue has got one of the best in the fighting genre (if you shift through all the gags in it, which I wouldn't recommend cause they'r'e hilarious). I'm actually eagerly anticipating the 3rd installment already to learn more about the BlazBlue universe. AND WHO THE EFF PHANTOM IS! AND WHEN DO I GET TO SEE MORE OF PLATINUM! (Not like that you jerks) 

I know when Calamity Trigger was coming out, KoF was also nearing release if not already out. I'm glad I went with BB. Especially after hearing all the disappointed gamers complaining about KoF and their precious Mai. 
    BlazBlue also has a pretty amazing soundtrack. 

I mean, I have actually spent hours upon hours just in training mode, trying to be as efficient and effective with Noel as possible. I even splurged on fightsticks to enhance my BlazBlue experience. Never have I been so serious and driven about a game since my MetalGearOnline2 days.

Not to mention, this is the game that introduced me to Noel Vermillion, my latest obsession. I have a weakness for gun-kata using minxes. Also, she is quite the sexy fighter.

So for you TL;DR folks, here is a short compiled list of why I love BlazBlue. 

• The characters
    • The music
    • The BlazBlue universe/story
    • The fighting style(s)
    • The 2D art style
    • BlazBlue's personality
    • Noel Vermillion

I would have no problem recommending this series to everyone I know who are interested in the fighting game genre. However, I do realize it isn't for everyone, like the GiantBomb staff, which I'm not bothered with. They may not like the same game I do, but I still think they're great guys.  

What are the communities reasons for loving/hating this game?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I want Jared to respond to this. It would provide a good contrasting opinion, I think. I don't really know a lot about fighting games though.  :(

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I really liked the art style and the characters battlethemes, never even played it before, not much of a fighter fan.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By BunkerBuster

I can't seem to get past the way the characters, and the game as a whole, move. It's not smooth at all and its very distracting. That's not to say that there isn't a reason for that but it makes me never want to play it.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

People dislike it because it's not SF. It really is that simple...oh and Jeff doesn't like it, ipso facto a good 60% of the GB user base won't touch it. Did you read Jeff's review and watch the quicklook? It's funny, but not in a haha way..more of a 'you cannot be serious' way.  
    I pretty much love Blazblue for all the same reasons..especially the story, but it was an easy one for me due to my love of Guilty Gear. I miss the Guilty Gear soundtrack though...that was way better. 

@BunkerBuster said:

" I can't seem to get past the way the characters, and the game as a whole, move. It's not smooth at all and its very distracting. That's not to say that there isn't a reason for that but it makes me never want to play it. "
    I'm sorry what now? not smooth? We're playing different games, cause my Blazblue plays like butter. 
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ESREVER
    @JJWeatherman: See, that's the thing. I don't know much about fighting games either. I don't know what is suppose to be good. That my reasons for liking BlazBlue may just be silly, and the more "elite" fighting game folks will just scoff at them.  

I gave SF4 a chance when it first came out (Granted, I wasn't as dedicated to it as I was with BlazBlue). It was a lot like my previous experience with fighting games. Despite being excited for its new look, it just went back on the shelf. Only being used when my friends and I wanted to beat up on each other in something. 
    I can understand why games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat would do better over a new fighting game IP. They got the advantage of having history. And it was because those previous installments in those franchises were excellent games, that SF4 is seeing the success and support it has today. 

But after playing both games back to back with friends (Street Fighter and BlazBlue) that I have come to the conclusion that BlazBlue is the superior game, in my own honest opinion of course. 

That is one of the reasons why I started this thread. Was to get the input of some fighting game enthusiasts and folks who know more about the deeper mechanics of both games. Other than reasons like "The game has pretty colors and the characters are neat." (Referring to myself, not anyone else) 

Oh! Another thing I admire about BlazBlue is the interaction between characters in fights. Noel/Ragna fights yield different fight talk than Noel/Jin fights. It is little touches like that, that I appreciate in BlazBlue. 
    Just another "silly" reason for me loving this awesome game.  

Sorry for being long-winded, I usually am about things I'm passionate about.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By ptys

I was really disappointed in the game when I first got it, then put it away for about three months. In the mean time I started getting into Anime and comics. Then turned it on last night, and I finally get what everyone is on about! You have to have an appreciation for animation to get the full enjoyment. I really want to get good at it!

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Jazz:  Yea its hard to explain. For example in Starcraft 2 or Street Fighter IV the characters move with an action that is flowing and smooth and Blazblue is very angular with its movements. Maybe because its so quick there's no reason to draw the whole movement of the arm at the full 60 frames per second but the whole thing just makes it look like the characters are "jumpy" with how they move.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @ESREVER: I admit before the game came out I was also drawn to it for some reason. Not enough to actually make me want to buy it (obviously, since I never did), but I actually cared about new videos and things released for it. that's more than I can say for most other fighting games. I guess it's just got style. 

But yeah, Jared is like maaad into fighting games and from what I've heard him say on the Jackie Chan quick look for example, he doesn't much care for BlazBlue. So that would be an interesting response I think.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

You took my reason.
    @ESREVER said:   

• The characters
    • The music
    • The BlazBlue universe/story
    • The fighting style(s)
    • The 2D art style
    • BlazBlue's personality
    • Noel Vermillion
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

I like:

• Every character is different.
    • The crazy over the top story.
    • Simple control scheme.

I don't like
    • Ridiculous amount of combos to learn to become an expert.
    • Can be too hectic at times.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#12  Edited By Jazz
    @BunkerBuster:  
    Ah I think i get you. Its the speed that bothers you. You see it's the opposite for me. I can't stand the movement or the art direction in SFIV, but I love it in Arksys games. 
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ESREVER
    @Jazz said: 

" People dislike it because it's not SF. It really is that simple...oh and Jeff doesn't like it, ipso facto a good 60% of the GB user base won't touch it. Did you read Jeff's review and watch the quicklook? It's funny, but not in a haha way..more of a 'you cannot be serious' way.  
    I pretty much love Blazblue for all the same reasons..especially the story, but it was an easy one for me due to my love of Guilty Gear. I miss the Guilty Gear soundtrack though...that was way better. 

Yea, I've come to realize that most people like/dislike a lot of things the staff do.  
    I.E. anime and blazblue
    But those aren't really the reasons I'm looking for, for liking the game or disliking it.   

Sure I watched the Quick-look on Calamity Trigger, and sure I rolled my eyes at parts where Jeff didn't seem to be enjoying it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to attack everyone that shares his opinion on the game. I know they come from SF descent, and that people who are familiar with SF are going to be less likely at giving a new IP a chance. Unfortunately thats just how some things work. It itsn't fair but eh... best we can do is recommend it through word of mouth. 
    I always wanted to get into GG back in the day, but I never did :[ And if you say the OST for GG is better, I may just have to give that a look-see.

@JJWeatherman said:
    " @ESREVER: I admit before the game came out I was also drawn to it for some reason. Not enough to actually make me want to buy it (obviously, since I never did), but I actually cared about new videos and things released for it. that's more than I can say for most other fighting games. I guess it's just got style.  But yeah, Jared is like maaad into fighting games and from what I've heard him say on the Jackie Chan quick look for example, he doesn't much care for BlazBlue. So that would be an interesting response I think. "
    Ah, I look forward to hearing his response then.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Supermarius

You have to remember that Jared is really into street fighter. When people get really into a particular fighting game they lose perspective. They dont have time to practice and get good at every fighting game so they have to come up with reasons for themselves why the game they have selected to "main" is the correct or best one. They don't want to think they are wrong or wasting their time. Also, people tend to like what is already familiar.  Jared, and many other capcom/snk fans are not going to like a fighting to which their general skills do not readily translate.  Trying to play a fighting game that is different from (but superficially appears similar to) your normal game can create unpleasant cognitive dissonance.  

One of the things, though, that really hurts blazblue is that it has some of the worst fans.  Many people who are newer to fighting games and have started on BB believe that it is the only good current 2D fighting game and that capcom offerings like SF4 are garbage.  That is insane, but it is a widely held opinion among many BB fans and as you can imagine it creates reciprocal animosity from the capcom crowd.  In general though I think pretty much all fandoms for anything are terrible and i never let them turn me off from a game. BB fans are pretty reminiscent of Smash bros fans, who are similarly on bad terms with the street fighter community.  Since many BB fans write-off SF without giving it a fair try, SF fans do the same thing right back to BB.

Personally, I think that SF4 is a much more solid game because it is about short relatively easy to learn combos and moves that allow almost anyone to readily learn the execution.  The game is not about who has spent the most time in practice mode hammering long juggle combos into muscle memory, but is instead about mind games, mixups, learning your opponents playstyle and adapting, ect. It is much less rote memorization than BB.  Further, the much stronger defensive options in street fighter allow for more viable different keep away or zoning playstyles.  Although it may appear that BB characters are more stylistically varied based on the tools their movesets provide, the resulting playstlye of most BB characters ends up being rushdown into long juggle combo or full screen projectile spam keep away. I believe the roster in SF4 is more varied than the play styles in Blazblue, but its hard to see that until you can face some skilled competition and hold your own and understand what is going on.  The depth in the BB fighting system is more readily apparent, but there is less of it. 

If, however, we are judging a game on its amount of singleplayer content, production values, voice acting, storyline and overall art direction, then BlazBlue wins for me hands down. Its for this reason that I like blazblue.  It really delivers as a singleplayer home-console fighter.  The same was true of Arc System Works previous series, Battle Fantasia.  It was criminally overlooked but had amazingly large amounts of SP content and really unique art direction.  My guess is that jared doesnt care about any of that.  He only cares about how the fighting gameplay in versus feels.

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BunkerBuster
    @Jazz:  It's really more about the animations and the amount that was "drawn" for the characters in terms of movement, but I'm sure that speed was the reason for them skimping on said animations.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ESREVER
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I like:
    • Every character is different.
    • The crazy over the top story.
    • Simple control scheme.

I don't like
    • Ridiculous amount of combos to learn to become an expert.
    • Can be too hectic at times.
    "
    I can understand that one. Being a Noel player, there are a ton of moves I have available to me. And figuring out which ones are the best to use and in what order is quite daunting. Especially when my most common opponent is Jin, and he keeps taking me out with Ice Cars followed by a slashy slash, then with another ice car in my face. It can be quite humiliating, especially with the amount of time I spent on this game to be taken out with the same two moves. I don't mind getting my ass handed to me in a genre I'm not familiar with, but at least do it in style and variety, I say. 
    But thats when I hop into training, setup the dummy to perform those moves, and learn what things I can do to counteract those attacks and make sure I don't put myself in that position to be attacked like that anymore. It's actually kind of satisfying in a learning way. Not to mention, to really get some of those combos going, your timing really needs to be precise. I still can't finish the first counter tutorial in Continuum Shift with Ragna because I just can't get the timing down. Bang keeps blocking. 

But its something I hope I learn over time. I REALLY do want to become excellent at this game. 

@Shirogane: My affinity for Noel is so well known between my friends, that they imported the Noel Vermillion "hugging" pillow case for me for my birthday. Best BDAY gift ever!
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Supermarius said:
    " You have to remember that Jared is really into street fighter. When people get really into a particular fighting game they lose perspective. They dont have time to practice and get good at every fighting game so they have to come up with reasons for themselves why the game they have selected to "main" is the correct or best one. They don't want to think they are wrong or wasting their time. Also, people tend to like what is already familiar.  Jared, and many other capcom/snk fans are not going to like a fighting to which their general skills do not readily translate.  Trying to play a fighting game that is different from (but superficially appears similar to) your normal game can create unpleasant cognitive dissonance. "
    Are you accusing Jared of being a... a... fanboy?!  XD
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ESREVER
    @Supermarius: I just wanted to say, that I thought that was very well-said.  

Actually made me look at myself while I was reading it, and realize I was nearing that BlazBlue "fandom" crowd. For I am relatively new to 2D fighting games as well, but I don't think what Capcom puts out is garbage. I just feel like its not for me. 
    But I don't want myself sharing those views of the common "fanboy" down the line though. I'll be sure to never fall into that crowd. Thanks! 

@Supermarius said:
    "Personally, I think that SF4 is a much more solid game because it is about short relatively easy to learn combos and moves that allow almost anyone to readily learn the execution.  The game is not about who has spent the most time in practice mode hammering long juggle combos into muscle memory, but is instead about mind games, mixups, learning your opponents playstyle and adapting, ect. It is much less rote memorization than BB.  Further, the much stronger defensive options in street fighter allow for more viable different keep away or zoning playstyles.  Although it may appear that BB characters are more stylistically varied based on the tools their movesets provide, the resulting playstlye of most BB characters ends up being rushdown into long juggle combo or full screen projectile spam keep away. I believe the roster in SF4 is more varied than the play styles in Blazblue, but its hard to see that until you can face some skilled competition and hold your own and understand what is going on.  The depth in the BB fighting system is more readily apparent, but there is less of it.   If, however, we are judging a game on its amount of singleplayer content, production values, voice acting, storyline and overall art direction, then BlazBlue wins for me hands down. Its for this reason that I like blazblue.  It really delivers as a singleplayer home-console fighter.  The same was true of Arc System Works previous series, Battle Fantasia.  It was criminally overlooked but had amazingly large amounts of SP content and really unique art direction.  My guess is that jared doesnt care about any of that.  He only cares about how the fighting gameplay in versus feels. "

Also, you must have just edited that post, or I'm just really tired and missed it (nearly 5 am) but those were the kinds of reasons I was looking for. Thanks again.  

I think that explains why I seem to prefer BlazBlue over Street Fighter. I've only been playing the single player content and the occasional vs match with a friend. Online fights intimidate me, really. And I believe that a lot, if not all, of what you say is true about the two games. Like I said before, I never got into the finer details of street fighter to truly appreciate the variety that was offered to me. I was going based on the visual representation of the game, instead of the actual fight mechanics.  
    That's not to say I'm a SF convert now, but at least I have a better idea on why people love the game so. And may try playing it again in the near future knowing those things. 

I think there are opportunities for mind games as well in BlazBlue, but I don't think many player utilize that, and instead go for the combo rush, like you said.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Supermarius
    @JJWeatherman said:

" @Supermarius said:

" You have to remember that Jared is really into street fighter. When people get really into a particular fighting game they lose perspective. They dont have time to practice and get good at every fighting game so they have to come up with reasons for themselves why the game they have selected to "main" is the correct or best one. They don't want to think they are wrong or wasting their time. Also, people tend to like what is already familiar.  Jared, and many other capcom/snk fans are not going to like a fighting to which their general skills do not readily translate.  Trying to play a fighting game that is different from (but superficially appears similar to) your normal game can create unpleasant cognitive dissonance. "
    Are you accusing Jared of being a... a... fanboy?!  XD "
    well actually i amended the post a little bit. Im actually in agreement with Jared that SF4 is the better versus fighter, but saying SF4 is better is a long way from saying BB is trash. I like them both, but pro players dont have the luxury to like a bunch of different fighters.  They have to cultivate a fanboyish level of devotion.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supermarius
    @ESREVER said:
    " @Supermarius: I just wanted to say, that I thought that was very well-said.  Actually made me look at myself while I was reading it, and realize I was nearing that BlazBlue "fandom" crowd. For I am relatively new to 2D fighting games as well, but I don't think what Capcom puts out is garbage. I just feel like its not for me. But I don't want myself sharing those views of the common "fanboy" down the line though. I'll be sure to never fall into that crowd. Thanks! "
    Hehe, well if you ever feel you need a reality check just go to the Blazblue message board over at gamefaqs and start reading some threads.  Reading that board always makes me feel very tired. :P
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vade

I think going to the training mode and learning combos is a huge part of fighting games. It's very rewarding to pull off a difficult combo in a real match. My first fighting game was GGXX:AC so I can't really enjoy games like SFIV where you're punished for trying combos and attacking.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Supermarius
    @Vade said:

" I think going to the training mode and learning combos is a huge part of fighting games. It's very rewarding to pull off a difficult combo in a real match. My first fighting game was GGXX:AC so I can't really enjoy games like SFIV where you're punished for trying combos and attacking. "

I never said that combos weren't a huge part of SFIV and they are, but they are generally shorter and conceptually simpler with tight timing (i.e. the link timing might make them hard to pull off in practice but the steps in the combo are pretty straightforward). There is nothing wrong with combos but the length and damage need to be balanced in order to achieve optimum fun and competitiveness.  BB has a huge combo/executional learning curve that is immediately apparent when you go online.  Anyone new gets curbstomped by long chains and they literally cannot compete because their damage generation is so much lower. I think there is a tendency for some people to believe that huge learning curve = deeper game but its not necessarily true.  Street fighter puts a heavier emphasis on the fundamentals as well as on a person's ability to read the playstyle of others and adapt rapidly.  Some people are going to prefer a game like BB where you dont have to think on your feet quite as much but instead try to establish the combo flow you have practiced over and over.  Some aren't.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By XenoNick

I pretty much love everything about Blazblue apart from one thing.  THEY KEEP FUCKING THE UK AROUND WITH DELAYED RELEASES!!!!! 
    When Calamity Trigger first came out there was no mention of a UK release and after a few months i imported it for my ps3 *Which i use less than my 360* and then a couple of months back they bring it out in the UK so i bought it for the 360. Got the limited edition super cheap though.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shirogane
    @ESREVER:
    There's a Noel one? Holy shit... 
    I happened to be on a site looking at something...probably P4 related, when i saw some of those, and was thinking, i'd get one if there was a Noel one. 

And yeah, her combos are so easy to pull off, so much fun. Unlike some other characters i couldn't use at all. 
    Is the Story Mode in CS as awesome as the CT one? Cause that visual novel style thing was pretty cool.
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vade
    @Supermarius:  Exactly, I like that new players are stomped by mixups they've never seen and endless offence they can't escape. They haven't played the game, they don't know what to expect. They should lose. I don't see why you would say that you don't have to think on your feet in BB. I must actively look for windows to start my offence, look for patterns to instant block and so on. To maximise damage I need to take more risk with slower moves that prorate well and lead in to big combos instead of relying on fast jabs. Combos are easy to do in BB and fun too, there's no 1 frame stuff.     

I don't want the game to hold my hand with ultra comebacks, easy inputs and huge reversal windows. I don't want characters to have a single strategy that covers 90% of matchups. I want to learn how to deal with different situations and get better by blocking and adapting instead of smashing.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By OneManX

If a player gets raped by huge chain combos numerous time they are more than likely gonna put the game down, then to want to learn it. 

Sometimes you need a Ryu and Ken for new players to at least get the flow of the game. Basic stuff, but they are more than capable in holding their own against experienced players.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Ace829
    I prefer the combos in Blazblue simply because they aren't one frame links. That's the big part that put me off on SSFIV somewhat. It's incredibly frustrating knowing that your combo messed up because you were off by a quarter of a second. Also the fact that Continuum Shift has an in-depth tutorial that teaches you how to play the game. Rather than SSFIV where you are thrust into the game not knowing much unless you read the manual. The manual is good, but I like my tutorials to be in the game and interactive like Blazblue.

I do admit that I like the amount of characters in SSFIV and even though there are multiple characters with the same fighting style (shoto, grappling, charge etc.) The variations of those fighting styles make me want to try each one out until I find one that fits me perfectly. (maining Ryu and Sakura atm). I still enjoy SSFIV but Blazblue seems to be the fighting game for me. (maining Ragna)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@OneManX: I agree, and BlazBlue does have a few of those guys.  Just about anyone can pick up Jin and ice car themselves around.  Noel lets even new guys feel pretty cool with her combo drive.

I think what BlazBlue (and fighting games in general) need is a Starcraft II style rank system.  I am more likely to keep playing fighting people of equal or slightly higher skill level than I am against masters and people who don't know how to wake-up.  When I play online, I get all jacked up by Tager and can't suss out how to reverse it, but then when I play my friends, I feel like I have to pull my punches.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By OneManX
    @Brodehouse said:
    " @OneManX: I agree, and BlazBlue does have a few of those guys.  Just about anyone can pick up Jin and ice car themselves around.  Noel lets even new guys feel pretty cool with her combo drive.  I think what BlazBlue (and fighting games in general) need is a Starcraft II style rank system.  I am more likely to keep playing fighting people of equal or slightly higher skill level than I am against masters and people who don't know how to wake-up.  When I play online, I get all jacked up by Tager and can't suss out how to reverse it, but then when I play my friends, I feel like I have to pull my punches. "
    That makes sense, I haven't played BlazBlue, so I didn't know if there weren't any entrance level chars. But from playing Guilty Gear XX, a lot,  it felt like, if you dont know what to do, you'd get destroyed so it's cool to see that there are some characters that newer players can get into. 

And I think ALL fighting games needs to take notes from Starcraft II and start implementing a ladder system, maybe take into account how long the fight goes, number of combos pulled, instead of just wins and losses.
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30  Edited By DocHaus
    @Shirogane: 
    The story mode is definitely deeper now that every character except one has a good/bad/joke ending, but whether or not it is "better" depends on how many anime tropes you can stomach in one sitting. Then again, I'm sorta active on Anime Vice so whatever.
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By ricetopher

As someone who plays a lot of SF, I've been trying to find the better qualities of this game instead of being one of the many SF fans who just shit on BB without really trying it. It just seems the deeper you go into both the more and more SF and BB are really different. I really can't understand why they need to be compared all the time. 

Honestly my biggest issue with BB is the high execution and combo mastery needed, simply because I'm not a fucking combo machine, even in SF I have a hard time with some of the more basic combos. There are certainly things I like about it (and the tutorial system is the best I've seen in a fighter), I just don't get why this thread has turned into "BB or SF" as if they were as similar as inFamous and Prototype.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ESREVER
    @XenoNick said:
    " I pretty much love everything about Blazblue apart from one thing.  THEY KEEP FUCKING THE UK AROUND WITH DELAYED RELEASES!!!!!  When Calamity Trigger first came out there was no mention of a UK release and after a few months i imported it for my ps3 *Which i use less than my 360* and then a couple of months back they bring it out in the UK so i bought it for the 360. Got the limited edition super cheap though. "
    At least yall are getting the Limited Edition. And then getting an additional "Fan" edition that had amazing goodies in it. I want that Noel Petit ;-; 

@ricetopher said:
    "

Honestly my biggest issue with BB is the high execution and combo mastery needed, simply because I'm not a fucking combo machine, even in SF I have a hard time with some of the more basic combos. There are certainly things I like about it (and the tutorial system is the best I've seen in a fighter), I just don't get why this thread has turned into "BB or SF" as if they were as similar as inFamous and Prototype.

"
    Well, I'm not really surprised that its turning into SF or BB.  Street Fighter seems to be the biggest IP to compare BB to. I know that franchise has a huge following and I just wanted to know their reasons for loving SF and not liking BB. Other than because its the cool thing to do.
    Magneticlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By Magneticlens

I like BlazBlue. It has good presentation, characters, art, etc., but I did get extremely frustrated when my girlfriend found one of the characters with a large area attack and just kept repeating that move over and over. I know someone who's good at this game would annihilate anyone with a strategy like that, but I'm mediocre at best, and most of the characters don't seem to have easy moves to counter aoe spam like that.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ESREVER
    @Magneticlens: That character didn't happen to have an ice car, did they?
    Magneticlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Magneticlens
    @ESREVER:  Might have :)
    Magneticlens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Magneticlens

Of course, playing BlazBlue with my girlfriend also included the uncomfortable, "Did that cat-thing just call someone 'Boobie Lady'?"

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By bed

i didn't like CT as much as i should have because the balancing was way off. for me, anyway.  
    i'm simply not too interested in CS. it looks too complex to get into for me and i'm already dedicated to playing SF. while i appreciate BlazBlue's great art style and kick ass music, it seriously looks like a game i'd play for about 10 mins and never play again (much like when i purchased Tekken 6, and more so when i borrowed BlazBlue off a friend).  

also for some reason, i found Guilty Gear to be much more enjoyable, when they're kind of the same thing. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By apathylad
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By XenoNick
    @ESREVER: 
    Damn it. Second time i've been linked to that site and item have been sold out. First the Noel t-shirt and now that fan edition. *Cries* That sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shirogane
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shirogane
    @ESREVER:
    Hmm, why doesn't Australia get that edition. I saw the JP version and really wanted it! DAMNIT! 
    Most of our stores don't even have it listed, stupid piece of crap...
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ESREVER
    @Shirogane: I got to agree with you. I don't really go for the "erotic" Noel look.  
    Truth be told however, she has more clothing on than the other pillow cases with characters on them. You should see the C2 one... MAN! 

@Shirogane said:
    " @ESREVER: Hmm, why doesn't Australia get that edition. I saw the JP version and really wanted it! DAMNIT! Most of our stores don't even have it listed, stupid piece of crap... "
    I don't know, I know AUS usually gets the short end of the stick when it comes to game releases quite often. I feel sorry for them. 
    But I didn't see why the US couldn't get the awesome swag editions either. 

Exclusivity sucks.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel

I like BlazBlue for a number of reasons.  First and foremost, I'm a fan of the Guilty Gear series, and so I was naturally drawn to BlazBlue for its pedigree.  The fast-paced, attack-driven fighting system and the diverse play-styles of the entire cast makes it feel far more varied than a game like Super Street Fighter IV which, despite a larger roster, is dominated by characters that fall into a few select archtypes.  Then there's the story, which is far and away one of the most thought out and elaborate stories in any fighting game series ever, and I say this with a completely straight face.  BlazBlue's story and the attention paid to it has done more for me in two games than the entire histories of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

gavbadwel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gavbadwel

Love it.

The dynamic fighting styles give the player a chance to find their niche.   Most people finding Jin and Noel the most comfortable.  I love the more off-beat characters, mostly Taokaka.  The balance in this series is outstanding.  Players willing to take the time to mine the potential of a character will strike a chord eventually.  I have not played Continuum Shift yet, but the changes mentioned in the review are welcome.  Can't wait!  

BTW
    The fact that BlazBlue demonstrates moves during "Challenge" mode is one-up on SF. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shirogane said:
    " @Brodehouse said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " @ESREVER said:

@Shirogane: My affinity for Noel is so well known between my friends, that they imported the Noel Vermillion "hugging" pillow case for me for my birthday. Best BDAY gift ever! "
    *Googles. What the?  http://www.segashiro.com/2009/07/31/noel-vermillion-pillow-cover-leaves-little-to-the-imagination/ "
    This... is... AWESOME! "
    Hmm...i personally don't like the art on that thing, Noel looks weird... "
    Nah dude, I just like that it exists.  And I can show it to people and make them go "aaauuugh."
    pcmachnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By pcmachnik

I really enjoy both Super Street Fighter 4 and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift. There is a lot of fun to be had with both games. Street Fighter gives me a much quicker instant level of enjoyment where BlazBlue has proven to be something that pays off after investing some time into it. Any fighting fan should have both in thieir libraries in my opinion.
    Infamousn89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Infamousn89

Like it's been stated before, I love the art style, but mostly how each character plays in such a unique way and still stays, from what I have seen, balanced is quite an achievement for a game deserving much more praise than it is recieving.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By scarace360

i like the music and how it plays.
    I dont like that i suck and dont know any combos but thats my fault.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I love getting stomped online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.