Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blizzard Entertainment

Company »

Blizzard Entertainment Inc. (formerly named Silicon & Synapse) is an American video game developer and publisher currently based in Irvine, CA. As of July 10, 2008 they are a division of Activision Blizzard.

Posting On Blizzard Forums Will Soon Require Real ID

• 75 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel
    Link to the story 

Gentlemen (and Ladies), 

As some of you who play WoW (lol) and future SC2, D3, WC4 players, already know...Battle.net 2.0 requires a Real ID which uses your real name.  You can make a sub ID in-game as well but the Real ID stays with you with all Blizzard games. 

To start posting on the forums you need to use your Real ID, and who knows what that will bring forth in the future of their games. 

I got no opinion.  As many of you know, I post on LiveDoor and 2channel often so when I want to be "self-destructive" or post crap, I end up going there.  Still!  At least now we'll find out who's trolling on the SC2 channels and whatnot!   

The price of streamlining  the community has shown it's full weight, and it'll just snowball from there. 

Any thoughts on this, and how it can change the way we look at the PC and console online community? 

Side Note - Dunno where to put it, so I put it in general.  >.>
    ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ErrorOperator

Blizzard are attempting to do what Valve did and combine all their games into one service, with social additions aswell. If there is any PC developer with any chance of replicating this well... it HAS to be Blizzard.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Seems like a perfectly fine idea to me. I can't imagine why someone would have to use a fake name anyway.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I don't mind. In fact, I like knowing exactly who I'm talking too.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By andrela

Whats stopping people from not using their real names?  

Seems a bit intrusive but its only a name after all, I admire Blizzard for trying to establish actual communitys for their games. 

I wonder if this will mean I wont be banned on the wow forums anymore...

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rinkalicous

I'd love an internet where everyone has to use their real names. Stops jackasses and trolls pretty effectively, as they'd be labelled as idiots wherever they went.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By deathbyyeti

Oh well I do not go to that site or use their forums but it could spread to other sites which I am not okay with.  I rather not let the Blizzard forums know my name.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By matthew

No problems here.  I'm fine with using my name.  Hey, look at that!  My name is my name here on Giant Bomb!! 
    Although I do wonder how they're going to enforce it...I mean, am I allowed to say I'm Brad Pitt?  How are they going to prove you're you . . .

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By JoshLarson

Why stop there? Why not just include your address and phone number alongside your name? That would help facilitate the real world trouble that will be a direct consequence of this potentially disastrous course of action. My question is, all of you people who say they don't have a problem with using real world names only, why aren't you using your real name now for Giant Bomb? If it is so desirable then why aren't you already doing it?
    TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By TheAdmin
    @Rinkalicous said:
    " I'd love an internet where everyone has to use their real names. "
    Then why didn't you use your real name when you picked a name here? 
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sjupp
    @99X said:
    " @Rinkalicous said:
    Then why didn't you use your real name when you picked a name here?  "
    Rinkalicious is ultimately the better name.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Next move: Credit card required!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RsistncE

As soon as a company expects me to surrender real life information which the entire community of fucktards can see, they can count on me not buying their product.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By rjaylee
    @Sjupp said:
    " @99X said:
    " @Rinkalicous said:
    Then why didn't you use your real name when you picked a name here?  "
    Rinkalicious is ultimately the better name. "

The idea of an avatar name or a username is at the base, a method to take name duplication out of the question. Creativity and a mask to your real identity is merely an afterthought and added convenience. 

I also like the idea of Blizzard doing this though. Liek many other posters have said, it adds more accountability to your identity, something that the internet does a really good job of hiding and masking.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hitchenson

Seems pretty unnecessary to me, then again, why anyone in their right mind would post on the Blizzard forums is beyond me.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE

I don't understand how people can say they're ok with this. You are aware of how easy it is to find out where someone is living once they have your name right? What if some guy who holds some grudge against you on the forums/game decides to track you down and do some real life damage? I'm sorry, but if a company decides they don't want me to be AnonymousTrollMage #39583 then they can go fuck themselves because there's no way in hell I'm giving them information about my real life to share with all the weirdos on the internet.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Faint

so how far is this going? is it just people being able to see your first name? or will they know things like how old you are as well. if that's the case im not so sure about it, as i dont think the youngens should be copping flack just for being young, which i could see happening. maybe it should be you only give your real details if you are 18+?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    " Seems like a perfectly fine idea to me. I can't imagine why someone would have to use a fake name anyway. "
    Cause WoW forums are 90% trolling. And people are gonna be upset when they gotta use their real name. 
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Marz

at least this will weed out the forum trolls on the blizzard forums.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adoggz

what Blizzard should do next is require everyone who wants to play their games go to Blizzard HQ and submit to a back round check and a DNA test to verify their identity, then Blizzard can implant a chip with a unique ID into them so that everyone playing Blizzard games can know who they are wherever they are.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dipstick
    @RsistncE said:
    " I don't understand how people can say they're ok with this. You are aware of how easy it is to find out where someone is living once they have your name right? What if some guy who holds some grudge against you on the forums/game decides to track you down and do some real life damage? I'm sorry, but if a company decides they don't want me to be AnonymousTrollMage #39583 then they can go fuck themselves because there's no way in hell I'm giving them information about my real life to share with all the weirdos on the internet. "
    Why would someone hold a grudge with you if you don't troll them? 

The whole purpose of this is to deter trolling,seems like it might actually work.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rjaylee
    @RsistncE said:

"As soon as a company expects me to surrender real life information which the entire community of fucktards can see, they can count on me not buying their product."

Whoa whoa, hold on. I better clarify the situation before everyone starts getting the wrong idea. 

You're maybe taking this way out of context - Participating on their forums is also entirely optional, and the having a 'Real ID' is also completely optional. You can still buy and play Blizzard games without even having opting-in to the Real ID, and you can go along completely anonymous to the public as you normally would. So far, you only really would require a Real ID if you want to post on the official Blizzard forums, which really isn't worth a lot of people's time anyways.   

All they are asking for is the display of your first and last name to post on their forums, there won't be any other bits of your 'real life' information to be presented unless (I assume) you opt-out of some privacy settings to show more public information out of your profile, just like any other forum. 
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rjaylee
    @adoggz said:
    "what Blizzard should do next is require everyone who wants to play their games go to Blizzard HQ and submit to a back round check and a DNA test to verify their identity, then Blizzard can implant a chip with a unique ID into them so that everyone playing Blizzard games can know who they are wherever they are. "

Again.... read my last post.
    adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adoggz
    @heatDrive88: 
    *Woosh*
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meteora

At first this seems like a bad idea to me, but now I'm starting to think its a good idea. 

I probably trust Blizzard a hell lot more with my ID than some other sites.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rjaylee

That being said, the Real ID thing seems like a decent addition for games themselves. All it does it add some more community functionality for people on your friends list (and it's scope is limited to only people on your friends list, nobody else). The forums thing is maybe a bit funny, but it's not the big privacy faux-pas that some people seem to be building this up to be.
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By ZombiePie

This forum topic made me realize that I have never played a game made by Blizzard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't act the same way when the aren't anonymous. It might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing. All we can say is it will be different.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rjaylee
    @adoggz:
    Haha, I'm aware of the sarcasm, it's just that a good chunk of people seem to think that this is all becoming mandatory for everything Blizzard related when it's not.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rjaylee
    @ZombiePie said:

"This forum topic made me realize that I have never played a game made by Blizzard. "

DO IT.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alternate

I don't think this means no screen names - just that your account has to be verified with real ID so they know who you are if they have to ban you for acting a dick or if you do something illegal / post something libelous.

On one hand it goes a bit far.  On the other hand, should be the most troll free forums ever.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By sjschmidt93

Blizzard's trying their best to attach an awful service to a great game.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " @RsistncE said:

"As soon as a company expects me to surrender real life information which the entire community of fucktards can see, they can count on me not buying their product."

and the having a 'Real ID' is also completely optional.  "
    That be wrong.  SC2 Beta even required your main Blizzard ID be your Real ID, you NEED a Real ID to even use Blizzard games and future Blizzard games now.  
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rjaylee
    @KaosAngel said:

"That be wrong.  SC2 Beta even required your main Blizzard ID be your Real ID, you NEED a Real ID to even use Blizzard games and future Blizzard games now.   "

Really? That's kinda fucked. I got the idea it was entirely optionally when I read about the service from their website: http://us.battle.net/realid/?rhtml=y     

Also quoted from their site: 
    "Real ID is a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net " 

I didn't see anything on their site saying Real ID was required for any sort of service. That's awfully suspect.
    webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By webby
    @KaosAngel said:
    As some of you who play WoW (lol) 
    +1
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

"That be wrong.  SC2 Beta even required your main Blizzard ID be your Real ID, you NEED a Real ID to even use Blizzard games and future Blizzard games now.   "

Really? That's kinda fucked. I got the idea it was entirely optionally when I read about the service from their website: http://us.battle.net/realid/?rhtml=y      Also quoted from their site: "Real ID is a completely voluntary and optional level of identity that keeps players connected across all of Battle.net "  I didn't see anything on their site saying Real ID was required for any sort of service. That's awfully suspect. "
    Well, you can keep it hidden and NOT SHARE IT, but you NEED to set up a Real ID.  It's the only way to even get into the SC2 Beta.  Most WoW or Blizzard users have it already if you go to Battle.net, you can redownload all your games and whatnot.  That's your Real ID. 

In SC2, you NEED to log in with your Real ID but you don't need to share friends with the Real ID and are given a "Nick", my Real ID is my real name and my SC2 ID is kaosangel.kaosangel, I only need to share my kaosangel so no one finds out my Real ID. 

Real ID friends are only supposed to be for real life friends.
    PMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PMoney

I was for it in the beginning but looking at it from a more professional perspective, if potential employers search your name before an interview and the first thing that shows up is that you play a lot of blizzard games, that could negatively impact your ability to get that job. I understand this may not happen with most employers but is it worth taking that risk.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KaosAngel
    @PMoney: That would be pretty funny, your future boss plays SC2 or D3....and he saw your name before posting on the forums, and how much epic loot you have.  Hah, at least then you can legally put it on a resume! 

Pro at getting loot, APM 200+, and all Purple Gear. 

EDIT:  It would be even more hilarious if the two of you were on the same WoW server and you keep killing him, and then brag about owning this "noob" on the forums.  The boss sees your name when you come into the interview.  Oh man, that would be some good stuff.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond

I just worry about the potential security problems that opens up.  Way more hacking incidents incoming, for sure.  Lots of people don't keep the rest of their personal private information secure, and a full name can be enough to get the rest.

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vao

I've screwed around with the real ID stuff that is live in wow right now and it isn't bad, how it works is your normal friends list is there but on top of that you can enter your real friends email that is their sign in name for the battle.net account. once you add that friend they have to accept it on their end then you can see what game and details about that game. the trick is their name in the friends list is the name that is on the battle.net account, the full name "John Doe". the normal friend list features are there but this stuff is on top of that.  

I'm lovin this idea. the thought of fewer troll threads on an official game forum is a tempting thought, no more trolls making a pointless argument and backing himself up by posting on other characters on that same account. PLUS, think of all the teenagers who's account is under a parents name.  some bad mouthed kid on a forums talking crap under the name "Sally" 

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By 71Ranchero

They are doing it to "fix" or atleast try to fix the horrible troll and flame war issues that ruin the Blizzard forums. Im all for it, people are less likely to be dicks when they cant hide behind a level 1 alt. Hell, lets get that on GB. I would gladly use my name on here(because Im not paranoid and I also dont act different from how I do offline).

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Kahoona

What's going to happen the first time someone tracks down a forum member using the person's first and last name posted on the forums?  If 4chan can do it, anybody can.  I also feel sorry for the female forum members considering this is basically a soft ban on them unless they want to risk harassment by other people.  What people don't realize is ANYBODY can look at the forums...that's the problem, not people being held accountable for their actions.  And people saying "Don't like it?  Don't post!" forget that the technical support boards are also attached to these forums so good luck troubleshooting things.

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cataphract1014
    @Kahoona said:

" What's going to happen the first time someone tracks down a forum member using the person's first and last name posted on the forums?  If 4chan can do it, anybody can.  I also feel sorry for the female forum members considering this is basically a soft ban on them unless they want to risk harassment by other people.  What people don't realize is ANYBODY can look at the forums...that's the problem, not people being held accountable for their actions.  And people saying "Don't like it?  Don't post!" forget that the technical support boards are also attached to these forums so good luck troubleshooting things. "

Technical support and customer support.  If you've ever tried to call blizzard, you know that this can be one of the only ways to effectively get help on issues.  In 3 weeks, the only way to use those for starcraft 2 is to have your name revealed to the whole world.  Seems like a stupid idea to me.  I have no problem with Real-ID itself, since Blizzards own FAQ states that it is  " a system designed to be used with people you know and trust in real life -- friends, co-workers and family -- "  So in order to use any of their forums, you have to trust EVERYONE on the internet.

Dumb change, IMO.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gabriel

Introducing accountability to the internet, it's about time.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Gabriel said:
    " Introducing accountability to the internet, it's about DAMN time. "
    Couldn't resist.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#46  Edited By the8bitNacho

This definitely struck me as a bit intrusive when I first read it, but after giving it some time to settle I really don't see the problem.  Hopefully this will weed out all of the ridiculous trolling that goes on over there, tough I doubt it; some people just aren't going to care.  Anyone legitimately concerned about their privacy can simply stay away from the forums.  There's no reason to go there anyway, unless you want to be trolled or need to catch up on the latest blue posts.  The latter of those doesn't require any posting, so hey, problem solved.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gabriel
    @zudthespud said:
    " People don't act the same way when the aren't anonymous. It might be a good thing, it might be a bad thing. All we can say is it will be different. "
    One step closer to this 

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By PufferFiz

Good, gets rid of the trolls.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I have zero issue with this.  I will still be trolling their forums with anonymity and I hope the people reading them.  Have fun trying to pronounce my name.  I would never talk with most of that community in real life.  They are the worst gaming community out there. 

But this wont really stop that anyway.  Since most WoW trolls are at a point of insanity.  From playing the same game for over 5 years.

IMO, I see this as a financial move.  WoW's popularity has been waning for a while now.  The devs are just doing what they do best.  Trying to keep people addicted to a shitty fuckcluster of a game.  Because they know that the second something new comes out, everyone we go pay for that instead.  

I am sure that all the FFIV trailers and chatter have nothing to do with this move.  ;  )   

Time for a next gen. MMO.  

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iam3green

so why do that? if they really wanted to get trolls and flamwars out they can just banned people. this could be a bad identity theft could happen from that. there are people that steal people's accounts in games like WoW. it could lead to identity theft from seeing the person's name.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.