Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blizzard Entertainment

Company »

Blizzard Entertainment Inc. (formerly named Silicon & Synapse) is an American video game developer and publisher currently based in Irvine, CA. As of July 10, 2008 they are a division of Activision Blizzard.

Would you play a Second Life type MMO if Blizzard made it?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Levio

The article about the product placement position at Blizzard got me thinking: if anyone could make an MMO that mixes online gameplay and social environments with real-world business, it would probably be Blizzard. Blizzard has experience with crafting Skinner Box reward systems to keep players interested and managing huge social environments to support social interactions.

WoW players will also note that Blizzard is very savvy at making profitable but non-intrusive marketing schemes, such as the WoW trading card game, pet shop, collector's editions, and Blizzcon bonuses. The market also seems ripe for a strong name-brand to come in and break new ground, since the main competitors (Second Life, Playstation Home, etc.) aren't changing enough to draw new users.

So now I'm curious: how many of you would you play such an MMO?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

No? I don't even play World of Warcraft.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

Until I got banned for making fun of everybody, yes.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bananaz

No. Blizzard is good in the way you describe. But Second Life is a different beast. It's not a game. If Blizzard did it, it would be a game called World of Warcraft.

In other words, Blizzard already did that, in their own way.

Second Life just needs a faster internet and a facelift. There's not much wrong with it, really. If you want to live there and invest in it, it supports that. If you're just visiting, you can do that too.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kindgineer

Second life is really it's own thing. It is neither an MMO nor a game in any sense so Blizzard would be tackling unknown waters. We know Blizzard can craft amazing RTS's, Themepark MMO's, and Dungeon (loot) crawlers. Not to mention, having played Second Life, I don't want any respectable company diving into that anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not because I don't have faith in Blizzard's ability to make games. I just feel that Blizzard's forums are already what that game might be.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lockwoodx

No.... and hell no. Blizzard jumped the Shark long ago and I won't even be purchasing Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 FTW. Activision/Blizzard are dinosaurs.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Branthog

No and I am highly suspicious of the judgement of anyone who is still playing Warcraft seven or eight years into it. That game was interesting for about six weeks and very long-term players, I'm sorry to say this about them, kind of rub me the same way as people who watch sit-coms. You just kind of wonder what happened in their brain chemistry to make eight years of WoW compelling to them or to make fart-noises and shows bout whacky dumb husbands rehashing shows that other sit-coms did forty years earlier interesting enough to spend half an hour on.

In fact, looking back at it, I'm starting to realize I might not be the adoring Blizzard fan that I always thought I was. I played WoW for about six weeks during the launch and never found a reason to return to it. The Warcraft series hasn't been around for almost a decade. Diablo III will be fun enough, but like the other Diablo games, I'm not going to spend two years playing it; I'll play through it in a few hours. Maybe try a second character and play that in a few hours. At the end of the weekend, uninstall the game and probably never touch it again. And Star Craft... That's the one thing that is still compelling and really great, but I feel I'm nearing on too old of an age to even remotely compete in it. So I'm really only a fan of one Blizzard game anymore (or for the last decade) and, even then, only sort of peripherally.

And here I always thought I thought Blizzard was one of the two greatest developers (maybe in terms of quality and final finish, still).

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Subjugation

I want a game, not a social life simulator. Second Life is named so to express its purpose. No thank you.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lockwoodx

@Branthog said:

No and I am highly suspicious of the judgement of anyone who is still playing Warcraft seven or eight years into it. That game was interesting for about six weeks and very long-term players, I'm sorry to say this about them, kind of rub me the same way as people who watch sit-coms. You just kind of wonder what happened in their brain chemistry to make eight years of WoW compelling to them or to make fart-noises and shows bout whacky dumb husbands rehashing shows that other sit-coms did forty years earlier interesting enough to spend half an hour on.

In fact, looking back at it, I'm starting to realize I might not be the adoring Blizzard fan that I always thought I was. I played WoW for about six weeks during the launch and never found a reason to return to it. The Warcraft series hasn't been around for almost a decade. Diablo III will be fun enough, but like the other Diablo games, I'm not going to spend two years playing it; I'll play through it in a few hours. Maybe try a second character and play that in a few hours. At the end of the weekend, uninstall the game and probably never touch it again. And Star Craft... That's the one thing that is still compelling and really great, but I feel I'm nearing on too old of an age to even remotely compete in it. So I'm really only a fan of one Blizzard game anymore (or for the last decade) and, even then, only sort of peripherally.

And here I always thought I thought Blizzard was one of the two greatest developers (maybe in terms of quality and final finish, still).

Normally you piss me off, but I'm starting to like you.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Branthog

@Subjugation said:

I want a game, not a social life simulator. Second Life is named so to express its purpose. No thank you.

Fixed that for you. :D

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fourby

Considering I played Second Life for a while, yes.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Subjugation

@Branthog said:

@Subjugation said:

Fixed that for you. :D

ಠ_ಠ

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By selbie

Only if I could create swarms of flying penises.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Second Life type games sound really stupid to me, but if it is Blizzard I will try anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.