Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 01, 1996

Set in the dark, brooding world of Nosgoth, Blood Omen tells a compelling tale about betrayal and vengeance. It's also known for its horrendously long load times.

PC Version

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By lordofultima

Until the Bombcast, I had no idea that this game came out on the PC. Like Brad, I too think this game was under-appreciated and deserves second look to those who may have skipped over it when it was released. I'm going to find a PC copy of this game, and perhaps finally finish the game.

Avatar image for alucardalacarte
    AlucardaLaCarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AlucardaLaCarte

This game marks the beginning of truly great voice acting in video games as far as I'm concerned, and definitely deserves second and third looks. Beware though: the game on PC tends to have synch issues (pretty bad ones) in the FMVs.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio

I just got this and Blood Omen 2 for PC, and Soul Reaver for DC. That's a lot of Legacy of Kain to play...

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By roushimsx

The PC version can be tricky to get playing on modern PCs, for anyone interested in tracking down a copy. There's a nifty page about it here that will come in quite handy if you feel like trying it.

For me, the load times in the PS1 version absolutely killed it and the technical quirks in the PC version rendered it unenjoyable for me as well. Shame, because it's the one Silicon Knights game that I felt could otherwise have been really good.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Hexpane

I've been playing it on the PS1 version, yeah the load times are horrible but it's such a cool game I was able to make it through the negatives

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Chummy8

I'm still looking for a PC copy that isn't rediculously expensive.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roushimsx
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I personally want to play the enitre legacy of kain series I dont believe i've ever seen a series told as well as legacy of kain the story is so great throughout each one, and the voice acting is awesome, I just hope they truely end the series since they left it so open with defiance.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I only have Soul Reaver on Dreamcast, which I found to be pretty awesome. I dug it out recently but it's not working. It needs a clean.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I personally want to play the enitre legacy of kain series I dont believe i've ever seen a series told as well as legacy of kain the story is so great throughout each one, and the voice acting is awesome, I just hope they truely end the series since they left it so open with defiance."
    Blood Omen 1 is the only true BO game story wise.  Soul reaver and everything after, BO2, BODefiance, SR2 were all crafted by a different team.  The original Blood Omen team has gone on record stating how the Raziel Character is interesting, but that whole story was not the direction they would have went.  They feel like that is the Raziel story not the Blood Omen story.  Regardless, the voice acting is worth it to play the SR games.

Unfortunately Blood Omen while the most technically limited, is actually the best game in the series hands down.  For LOK Defiance they used generic "stylish action" and for BO2 it's just generic budget third person combat
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Hexpane said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:
    "I personally want to play the enitre legacy of kain series I dont believe i've ever seen a series told as well as legacy of kain the story is so great throughout each one, and the voice acting is awesome, I just hope they truely end the series since they left it so open with defiance."
    Blood Omen 1 is the only true BO game story wise.  Soul reaver and everything after, BO2, BODefiance, SR2 were all crafted by a different team.  The original Blood Omen team has gone on record stating how the Raziel Character is interesting, but that whole story was not the direction they would have went.  They feel like that is the Raziel story not the Blood Omen story.  Regardless, the voice acting is worth it to play the SR games.

Unfortunately Blood Omen while the most technically limited, is actually the best game in the series hands down.  For LOK Defiance they used generic "stylish action" and for BO2 it's just generic budget third person combat"
    ***possible spoiler***

and yet the following games, soul reaver...ect all gained far more fame...ect then the original did including scores and sales i do believe, I find the games after it were far better then bloodomen with bloodomen being a simple base for the rest.
    *in your opinion its the best game in the series* the original game is far from the best on my list, Soul reaver gets that spot followed by defiance, then soul reaver 2, then bloodomen 2.
    and where are you geting the whole Only TRUE BO game storywise all the games follow the same storyline and canon the original team put forth, the original team couldn't have done any better and the story as put forth is just the logical path that it would have taken in regard that kain decided to continue the vampire race instead of sacraficing him self to restore balance.  All most all the main persons involved with bloodomen were involved with soul reaver 1 and 2, and defiance. bloodomen 2 is the only one that has no real connection in terms of people on the project as the rest the only major difference being that Dyack is no longer involved.

http://www.giantbomb.com/blood-omen-legacy-of-kain/61-8736/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-2/61-11203/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver/61-6249/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-2/61-2046/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-defiance/61-823/credits/
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Blood Omen 2 on the Gamecube kicked ass.  I know that Blood Omen 2 is one of the free games on GameTap.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "WilliamRLBaker said:

Unfortunately Blood Omen while the most technically limited, is actually the best game in the series hands down.  For LOK Defiance they used generic "stylish action" and for BO2 it's just generic budget third person combat"
    ***possible spoiler***

and yet the following games, soul reaver...ect all gained far more fame...ect then the original did including scores and sales i do believe, I find the games after it were far better then bloodomen with bloodomen being a simple base for the rest.
    *in your opinion its the best game in the series* the original game is far from the best on my list, Soul reaver gets that spot followed by defiance, then soul reaver 2, then bloodomen 2.
    and where are you geting the whole Only TRUE BO game storywise all the games follow the same storyline and canon the original team put forth, the original team couldn't have done any better and the story as put forth is just the logical path that it would have taken in regard that kain decided to continue the vampire race instead of sacraficing him self to restore balance.  All most all the main persons involved with bloodomen were involved with soul reaver 1 and 2, and defiance. bloodomen 2 is the only one that has no real connection in terms of people on the project as the rest the only major difference being that Dyack is no longer involved.

http://www.giantbomb.com/blood-omen-legacy-of-kain/61-8736/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-blood-omen-2/61-11203/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver/61-6249/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-soul-reaver-2/61-2046/credits/

http://www.giantbomb.com/legacy-of-kain-defiance/61-823/credits/"
    Dyack was the HDIC... read his interviews and the history on the series.  Soul Reaver is not only not really about Kain, it's not even remotely in the same genre.  If you like SR  better than BO, that's fine.  BUt that's like saying you like Tomb Raider better than Zelda LTTP, 2 diff games from diff genres.

Amy Hennig

Is the Soul Reaver/Crystal Dynamics person.  Dyack was Silicon Knights.  BO was created by Silicon Knights, but they gave the rights to Eidos/CD.   SR, SR2, etc.. are all Hennig's Ideas.  BO was Dyacks.  

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By chilipeppersman

dude blood omen 2 was one of the first games i actually played, and it was pretty fun, im gonna admit. It really dragged though and could have been better with nicer visuals and a better story. The gore was top notch though, and I had some memorable decapations for sure

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @lordofultima:  It was an awesome game on PC, just as all the LoK (inc. Soul Reaver) games were.  My favourite thing in the game was being able to drain blood from a distance.
    coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coaxmetal

Blood Omen was a great PC game, and also the only BO/LoK game I have played.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.