Bloodborne self-proclaimed GOTY edition

#1 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

The cover art for the complete edition of Bloodborne has been revealed. The red tinge looks pretty cool. And I like how incorporates the art for the included Old Hunters DLC. If you didn't play it before, will you be interested in this now?

I also didn't notice that Game of the Year edition just meant 'complete collection'. Like did games ever have to win a game of the year award to feel ok with putting that on their box?

No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by IVDAMKE (1824 posts) -

There's multiple things wrong with this. First like you pointed out, the year isn't even over no one has given it GOTY. Second this means they're done with DLC and third they're making a "complete edition" which is nothing more than just 1 bit of DLC and the base game.

The hell?

Edit: Fourth, the DLC isn't even out yet.

#3 Posted by zombie2011 (5598 posts) -

Huh, I always assumed GOTY editions mean't a game won a GOTY award from at least one publication, I guess not. Seems misleading, wondering why other games go with "definitive edition" or "complete edtion" rather than just "GOTY edition" now.

#4 Posted by jacksukeru (6782 posts) -

I want to say that a lot of games have had GoTY editions, with all dlc and stuff collected in one box, without being anyone's actual "game of the year" for a good few years now. I definetly recall there being games way less deserving of that title than Bloodborne having it, and people joking about it.

I dunno, it has just sort of become a thing, look there's even a GB page on it: http://www.giantbomb.com/game-of-the-year-edition/3015-3825/ .

#5 Posted by Dussck (1053 posts) -

Maybe it's From Software's Game Of The Year? ;)

#6 Posted by doctordonkey (1827 posts) -

This shit lost all meaning after every single AAA release had one by the end of each year. It's been pointless ever since Arkham City, I think.

Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
#7 Posted by Nashvilleskyline (353 posts) -

I completely forgot about this game. Played the shit out of it when it came out, for some reason, my brain completely forgot it... It will get GOTY awards since a PS exclusive and maybe it's deserved, but self proclaimed GOTY is kinda crass.

#8 Posted by Torrim (409 posts) -

"Sir, we haven't actually won any Game of the Year awards"

"Oh, well, then I .... Declare ... GAME OF THE YEAR"

#9 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3885 posts) -

Even when GOTY might have meant "we won a GOTY award from a publication" there's so many publications out there that it didn't really matter. GOTY just means "complete edition" now, though having said that I think there was a case where Gearbox released Borderlands or Borderlands 2 as a GOTY version which didn't actually come with all the DLC.

Some Sony endorsed/backed magazine could give this game GOTY and then it could technically be called "GOTY" so what would it even matter?

#10 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1625 posts) -

Since this is the first game to have GOTY on the boxart that means it's the only true GOTY. It's like calling shotgun.

#11 Posted by Nightcrawlah (119 posts) -

Hey, it tells the truth. ;)

#12 Posted by JeanLuc (3883 posts) -

Should have just called it, "Ultimate Hunter Edition" or something to that effect.

#13 Posted by BoOzak (2592 posts) -
@torrim said:

"Sir, we haven't actually won any Game of the Year awards"

"Oh, well, then I .... Declare ... GAME OF THE YEAR"

That's kind of how I read this. Nobody ever cites the source of the award anyway so it's pretty much the developer giving themselves a pat on the back.

#14 Posted by Puchiko (847 posts) -

I remember when games were bundled with their "expansion packs" and were just called "Gold Edition". Its kinda pretentious to call this a GOTY when the year it came out isn't even over with.

#15 Posted by imsh_pl (4208 posts) -

Yeah that's kinda shitty. It's always bugged me when all major releases get a self-proclaimed GOTY, but at least one could make the case that technically some outlet out there gave this game a GOTY title. This isn't even that.

Shame, shame, shame

#16 Posted by Bones8677 (3535 posts) -

It is one of the best games of the year so let 'em have it.

#17 Posted by FireBurger (1609 posts) -

Remember when GOTY Edition was just Gold Edition? Let's bring that back.

#18 Posted by j_unit2008 (308 posts) -

I actually was waiting for something like this, but I figured this wouldn't be released until 2016 so I'm pleased.

#19 Edited by MezZa (3048 posts) -

I'm pretty sure at this point "game of the year" editions of all games have lost all meaning anyway. It just means that this comes bundled with all of the extra content for the game. It should bug me, but Bloodborne is going to win plenty of awards anyway and is a strong contendor for goty discussions. They're jumping the gun, but whatever. Worse games have claimed game of the year before. At least this one has a leg to stand on when it cries out goty.

The artwork is cool by the way. Not sure I'd say its better than the original, but its equally cool.

#20 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (939 posts) -

LOL, this reminds me of when the Free-to-Play Tribes Ascend released a GOTY edition. That game won literally zero Game of the Year awards.

But yeah, this is pretty crazy, how do they know anyone will give it Game of the Year? I'm pretty sure its my Game of the Year

#21 Posted by rethla (3725 posts) -

Everything thats on the box is marketing nonsense and it never was anything else.

#22 Edited by edgaras1103 (796 posts) -
#23 Posted by ZolRoyce (1589 posts) -

There's multiple things wrong with this. First like you pointed out, the year isn't even over no one has given it GOTY. Second this means they're done with DLC and third they're making a "complete edition" which is nothing more than just 1 bit of DLC and the base game.

The hell?

To be fair they have this for the first Dark Souls as well, the Prepare to Die edition was just the one piece of DLC, but given how substantial it was I think its fair to make an edition for/with it. From seems to treat their DLC more like the expansions of old and less like 'feh here is some horse armor'.

Anyways, I think the box looks pretty cool, and I've a few GOTY editions that boil down to 'complete' edition really so that tag doesn't bug me. There are sooooooo many websites and magazines that someone is going to name it GOTY somewhere somehow and even if they don't, eh? Who cares? GOTY just means "The main game plus all the other stuff" couldn't care less about what the words may imply.

#24 Posted by Atwa (1690 posts) -

The GOTY-edition tag has never had any validity to it. You can get GOTY from any random award and put out this. Not really bothered.

#25 Posted by ripelivejam (13188 posts) -

The hell?

that's three things (unless "The hell?" is one of them)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.