Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

First Boss is breaking me. Underleveled?

• 73 results
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@krullban said:

@karkarov: because it's a parry. It's literally the exact same thing as the souls game just you use a gun instead of a shield.

Look up the definition of the word parry dude ;p. It does not include "shooting a person in the face thereby stunning them".

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By cloudymusic

By far the best thing that I personally found for the Cleric Beast was to hug his ass. Get right behind him and stay there, he seems completely helpless and doesn't even really try to turn around all that much.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hollitz said:

@handlas said:

... so I've missed the first boss somehow and beat the 2nd boss already? The graveyard boss. Well now I need to find out where the first boss is! It feels like the game is super linear up so far so I have no idea how I could skip a boss fight.

Also, I cheesed the crap out of that boss. Getting him stuck on geometry so I could whip him from a distance was fun.

I missed the first boss too. I'm surprised you consider it linear. I always felt like there were too many sprawling directions to go in.

DS 1 and 2 seemed more open so far, imo. Thus far in Bloodborne it seems like there are several paths that lead to the same spot. It took me forever to find the 2nd bonfire thing too... I just kept finding shortcuts to the first bonfire. I'm still early on so I assume it will open up more. But I do really love the Demon Souls callback with the main hub area.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By bceagles128

Fuck this game is hard. Maybe it's my old man tendencies but it's way faster than previous games and the reaction times are kicking my ass. Struggling quite a bit with F.G. right now. Any tips? I've gotten him down to the beast phase a couple times but just get annihilated at that point.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this game is hard. Maybe it's my old man tendencies but it's way faster than previous games and the reaction times are kicking my ass. Struggling quite a bit with F.G. right now. Any tips? I've gotten him down to the beast phase a couple times but just get annihilated at that point.

There is an item you can find that helps. Talk to people in town

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@hollitz said:

@handlas said:

... so I've missed the first boss somehow and beat the 2nd boss already? The graveyard boss. Well now I need to find out where the first boss is! It feels like the game is super linear up so far so I have no idea how I could skip a boss fight.

Also, I cheesed the crap out of that boss. Getting him stuck on geometry so I could whip him from a distance was fun.

I missed the first boss too. I'm surprised you consider it linear. I always felt like there were too many sprawling directions to go in.

DS 1 and 2 seemed more open so far, imo. Thus far in Bloodborne it seems like there are several paths that lead to the same spot. It took me forever to find the 2nd bonfire thing too... I just kept finding shortcuts to the first bonfire. I'm still early on so I assume it will open up more. But I do really love the Demon Souls callback with the main hub area.

From after the second boss on you can go into like 4 different huge sprawling areas and the possibilities become infinite when you get access to chalice dungeons

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I was surprised how easy I found the Cleric dog thing. The first time I reached him my weapon was busted so I had no chance, but the second time I was surprised how manageable he was. Now, the second boss. He's super easy... for about 3/4 of the fight. I WILL beat you stupid gun-hat-axe-man.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sorry for the extremely noobish question, but...how do you parry? (Don't crucify me please)

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@supermonkey122: Using your ranged weapon as an enemy attacks will stun him. You have a small window to then attack him with your main weapon.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By Humanity

I was surprised how easy I found the Cleric dog thing. The first time I reached him my weapon was busted so I had no chance, but the second time I was surprised how manageable he was. Now, the second boss. He's super easy... for about 3/4 of the fight. I WILL beat you stupid gun-hat-axe-man.

Christ the camera in that area though. I found fighting him incredibly difficult because the camera kept going outside the bridge and when I'd get close enough to attack it would position itself in such awkward angles that half the time I didn't even know where I was.

I found this fight way tougher than Father G just because I couldn't tell what was going on half the time. Didn't anyone playtest that area?

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@humanity: Had the exact same problem, got him to maybe 20% on the first try and then the camera appeared to decide that the side of the bridge was much more interesting and then I got destroyed as I just started rolling to try get some space. Other than that, the first fight definitely seems manageable.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@humanity said:

@gunstarred said:

Christ the camera in that area though. I found fighting him incredibly difficult because the camera kept going outside the bridge and when I'd get close enough to attack it would position itself in such awkward angles that half the time I didn't even know where I was.

I found this fight way tougher than Father G just because I couldn't tell what was going on half the time. Didn't anyone playtest that area?

I didn't have a problem with the camera there, but by that point I was probably so overleveled I didn't have time to notice. Father G however gave me trouble because of the gravestones. I got stuck so many times.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Humanity

@refactored: yah it's pretty bad. His patterns are pretty straight forward, slash, slash big slash, overhead - it's all very telegraphed.

When he rears up and goes red I hit him with my main weapon and that put him into a stunned state letting me do the critical. I wasn't able to parry any of his moves with the gun though, once again, the timing on that seems all over the place. For some enemies it's right as they begin their "strike" or others it seems just before you get hit. In the case of a boss fight I wasn't really in the mood for experimentation.

The third boss seems even more hyper active than Father G, although I only fought him as a supporting phantom for another player. Three of ass wailed on that thing and just as the triumphant Prey Slaughtered screen came up the host died from poisoning and I don't think I got anything out of it.

@sethphotopoulos:

The part I linked to about a minute in is what I'm talking about.

Loading Video...

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kishinfoulux

@bocam said:

@demoskinos said:

So I don't know if you guys are talking about the same boss but... the first one I got to was in some graveyard and he looks like another hunter and is super aggressive. Is that the first boss? Or did I miss a turn somewhere? Cause I don't see where else I could go.

That's the second boss

I was under the impression that you shouldn't attempt the Cleric beast until you have some levels. I took on the graveyard boss first and only did Cleric because I was lost it seemed.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Humanity

@kishinfoulux: Cleric Beast seems to have more health but it's attacks are more manageable than Father Gascoigne so if you're careful you can beat him early on although it will take a while. I beat Father G and then gained a few levels and even upgraded my weapon and the Cleric Beast was still taking only 30 damage or so from each hit, although I'm using the sword cane which is fast but weaker than all the other starting weapons (it does have B stat scaling though)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cleric beast with the cane is simple. Just go crazy on its legs with the whip and it can barely touch you. And if that somehow doesn't work just target its head and whittle its health down slowly by whipping it in the face when you have an opening.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@krullban said:

Cleric beast with the cane is simple. Just go crazy on its legs with the whip and it can barely touch you. And if that somehow doesn't work just target its head and whittle its health down slowly by whipping it in the face when you have an opening.

Just shoot it in the face twice, then parry and repeat. Also used Threaded Cane.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Oh hey, turns out Cleric beast REALLY doesn't like fire. If you can find some firepaper and get some molotov cocktails its basically GG

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I feel like finding ways to force parry's on bosses will be essential in fighting bosses the easier way. I just wish there were more bullet drops. I usually have way more healing items than bullets and end up having to sacrifice health to get some more.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By kishinfoulux

@humanity said:

@kishinfoulux: Cleric Beast seems to have more health but it's attacks are more manageable than Father Gascoigne so if you're careful you can beat him early on although it will take a while. I beat Father G and then gained a few levels and even upgraded my weapon and the Cleric Beast was still taking only 30 damage or so from each hit, although I'm using the sword cane which is fast but weaker than all the other starting weapons (it does have B stat scaling though)

How is the Cane when upgraded a little? I'm thinking of messing with it, at the very least, for crowd control.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@kishinfoulux: It's fine. I beat most bosses with it so far. Does do less damage than other weapons though. Also, the whip-form is actually rather slow and thus not as amazing for crowd control as you'd think.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

How is the Cane when upgraded a little? I'm thinking of messing with it, at the very least, for crowd control.

I like the moveset and I've been heavily investing into Skill.

As far as numbers go, I have the cane at +3, with some attack bonus gems slotted in and Skill at 24 and my damage is 137 on it. In more meaningful terms thats like those white hooded guys in old Yarnham dying in 3 hits.

The whip is great for taking out crows and managing mobs of smaller creatures.

It's the only weapon I've really used so far because it's the only one that has good skill scaling of which I've found. The one thing I kind of don't like about it is that it has pretty short range compared to some of those saw weapons in unfolded mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.