I think I over levelled myself for the DLC

#1 Edited by AlisterCat (8054 posts) -

I may have been overzealous when the game originally came out because I enjoyed it so much. I went NG+ 3 or 4 times and after finishing the first time go my magic up to 50 and also put a lot of points in to guns because I wanted to experiment. Now I'm a crazy high level, but with very mediocre stats because I dumped so much in to magic just to have fun and now the new DLC is wrecking me.

Am I just bad? Should I start over? I don't feel like playing the game over and then doing the DLC because that will take forever but I've put myself at a disadvantage by artificially increasing the difficulty by not building my character properly. I'm struggling to get through the basic enemies now.

#2 Posted by Humanity (18589 posts) -

@alistercat: You might be boned I'm afraid to say. I'm honestly in a similar boat with a single character that has gone through NG+ about three times and I was worried this might happen. Although my guy is actually pretty focused, it has still kept me from buying the DLC.

#3 Posted by Technician (780 posts) -

It takes maybe 2 hours to get to the DLC. Start up a new character, you'll be fine. Make sure to try something new and challenge yourself.

#4 Posted by Sterling (4134 posts) -

Where do I enter the DLC, I bought it but never loaded it up.

#5 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

Its near Amelia. You get an Amygdala warp.

#6 Edited by AlisterCat (8054 posts) -

@sterling said:

Where do I enter the DLC, I bought it but never loaded it up.

Warp the cathedral ward. Defeat Amelia. In the hunters dream the little guys will give you an item at the bottom of the stairs. Go back to the ward, take a left through the door and then right along the railing to let the giant monster grab you.

#7 Posted by AlisterCat (8054 posts) -

@technician said:

It takes maybe 2 hours to get to the DLC. Start up a new character, you'll be fine. Make sure to try something new and challenge yourself.

Is it really viable on a fresh character though? I don't know if it's balanced for that, and I don't want to have to clear the game once to get my character to a point where I can do the DLC.

#8 Edited by Ares42 (4274 posts) -

@alistercat: I would actually recommend starting a new character. It's not like the main game isn't enjoyable by itself and some of the bosses in the DLC is the most difficult ones in the game, so going in on NG+(+++) where they will one shot you with every attack isn't exactly the best way to first experience them.

I wouldn't recommend jumping into the DLC straight after Amelia though. In my experience the mobs and bosses in the DLC is tuned to be about the same level as the post-Rom content (basically meaning you want to have Blood Chunk upgrades). I'm pretty sure the last boss in the DLC has the most HP of any boss in the game, so going at him with anything less than a +9 weapon would mean you're putting a leash on yourself. Although you probably will be able to go from +6 to +9 during the DLC with the materials you find doing it.

If you're doing a new character though you might want to just dip into the DLC for a bit after Amelia so you can find some new weapons to play with.

#9 Edited by Stokes (269 posts) -

I platinumed the game with one character (meaning I beat it at least 3 times). I think I started around the DLC around level 186. I'm essentially capped in all my stats except bloodtinge and magic and the bosses in the DLC are ridiculously hard. To the point where it feels impossible to beat them solo. Clearing the areas has been fairly straightforward, but I've had to summon players on all the bosses thus far. I got lucky and got two people on a couple of the bosses. It's also extremely frustrating not being able to level and make the game feel any easier. I probably should of started a new character, as I've not enjoyed this DLC at all.

#10 Posted by Honkalot (1038 posts) -

@alistercat said:

@technician said:

Is it really viable on a fresh character though? I don't know if it's balanced for that, and I don't want to have to clear the game once to get my character to a point where I can do the DLC.

Probably not, it's hella difficult and the recommended level to start was 65 I believe. Sure you can get up to the point to enter the DLC in 2 hours, but not at a reasonably doable level.

Starting fresh might still be the best idea according to the people doing it on NG+ or higher the difficulty ramps up quite a bit. I'm level 90 or so in not-NG+ and am getting killed every now and then by mobs (I'm not very good at the game though).

#11 Edited by Technician (780 posts) -

@alistercat: Yeah I guess I didn't think about that aspect, you'd probably want to level up and get at least your right hand weapon up to +10 or something before walking in, so you would need more time. I'd say it would probably take about five hours to get to the blood rock, but taking deaths into account and getting the build you want ready it would probably end up being about a ten hour affair to get ready for the DLC.

I'm currently playing through the DLC in NG++ (I just have the optional boss left to deal with). I'm playing at level 109 which sounds like it is under levelled based on the recommendations people are giving, and I'm also not summoning people for the boss fights. I've spent many hours getting my ass kicked over and over again, but I have a bit of a masochistic streak in me. I felt like the main game was far too easy and the DLC seems to be giving me the pain I was missing. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't mind spending the time to build a new character, but that's because I really enjoy playing through these games multiple times with multiple builds.

#12 Posted by Quipido (1548 posts) -

Well, guess I will never play the DLC then, as someone who got platinum in the original game as well (without save-scumming). What a shame! I am not starting a new character and then play the main game again, even a part of it, just to be able to play the expansion.

#13 Posted by Dussck (1053 posts) -

I'm like level 110 or something in NG+ and it was so balls hard that I couldn't even beat a boss. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.