I've bought Bloodborne (without the dlc)

• 74 results
#51 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Thx guys for these tips :) Yeah, i've been warped. Anyway, i'm glad that there is the lamp.

#52 Posted by NTM (11570 posts) -

The DLC isn't really necessary. Heck, I don't think I even needed to buy and play it because I don't think it would have affected how much I liked the game. All it did for me, as someone that likes trying to complete everything before the credits, was allow me to beat the main game final boss with extreme ease. I've seen lists from people saying he was one of the hardest bosses in all of the Souls games. I was kind of expecting that, but all I had to do was walk up to him with little strategy and wack him about fifteen to twenty times until he was dead. Oh, and I agree about one of your previous comments. I played none of the Souls games online as I didn't want to get wrecked by someone way above my level as it would hinder my progression. All I want to do is soak in the atmosphere and experience the challenge they created through the enemy A.I.

I was hesitant to do it from the beginning, but all the way through Demon's Souls I kept the online portion on, and it wasn't until the very end of the game that someone came into my game and killed me twice. They were super over leveled for me that when I'd even attack, they'd simply refill their health immediately, and any of their attacks would kill me in two to three hits while mine would merely dent them. After that, I turned online off and never turned it back on for any of the Souls games. Luckily, they have NPC summons which is a nice distraction. In Bloodborne, they added it later, and I played it late so I had the benefit of using them which made some of the so-called toughest bosses some of the easiest in the series.

#53 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I restarted this yesterday. It's like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. And I've got better at this. Aiming to go through the chalice dungeons again but remaining in the NG cycle rather than powering past it on NG++. Also I need to kill the two remaining DLC bosses I've got left. This is the only Souls game where I've felt parrying a viable strategy. Allowing the player to do it from a reasonable distance helps.

#54 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Hey guys, it's an incredible fight at the end of the Forbidden Woods. So far the hardest boss battle in the game. My butt hurts.

When i've encountered them for the first time, i've thought it's impossible to beat them.

Seriously, i play games from my 5 or 6 (so like 20 yrs) and this is maybe the toughest stuff i've been through. Resident Evil 0 was pretty hard, i've finished it few months back and thought there's no such hard game on my list of PS4 games that i want to buy... But this is twice harder boss than the hardest one in RE0. Maybe i am a lame. Can't force myself to try to beat them. I know i need to go through some parts of the woods over and over again and than to get my ass kicked again. But i will beat the game. Quite like it.

Only thing that imo sucks is the levelscaling in ng+. Definetely am not gonna play this game in the mode.

#55 Edited by Richardqx (159 posts) -

So i've finally managed to beat the **** out of those creeps at forbidden woods and i've thought it can't be even harder till i've encountered this vacuous spider thing.

Is this even reality? It's... I... I hate this. I tried to watch a guide but still can't send it to the abyss. After my, let's say 30th try... This piece of junk is still alive to drive me crazy.

In guides they ignore the small spiders, though some say i should kill them as well... But how? The vacouated... Thing is constantly casting those ******* meteors.

Oh god. If i was able to beat this... And pleas tell me it's the hardest passage of the game. Xd

#56 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

He is probably the big test in the game. You can go either way with the spiders. For the first phase, I deal with them and then leave them. There's a lot of them and, as soon as Rom starts attacking, I'd rather focus on her(?). Best of luck. Those spiders pack a wallop.

#57 Edited by odinsmana (982 posts) -

@richardqx: If you stay close to her Rom will roll onto her back and do a spike attack on the ground around her instead of doing the meteor attack. This attack is a lot easier do dodge than the meteors. So my tip would be to stay close to her while dealing with the small spiders then move away from her when she rolls onto her back and then get close to her again when the attack is finished to trigger it again. As long as you keep moving ( I ran in circles around Rom) the small spiders wilk miss with their dive attacks and you can kill them as they recover. Doing this I didn't have too much trouble with the fight and actually found it to be a lot of fun.

#58 Edited by Humanity (18591 posts) -

@richardqx: In my experience you need to micromanage the spiders while keeping an eye on the ranged spells. From what I remember, even after numerous attempts at this boss through multiple playthroughs I never quite got the timing for dodging that stuff because it comes in from such an angle that it's difficult to pan the camera and see it coming. Each and every time I would start dashing and hold my breath to see if this was the time I'd get hit or not.

Best bet is to buff your weapon if you can, kill enough of the spiders to get in close for the attack, and try dishing out the damage in hit and runs. If you attempt to take out all the spiders each and every time this will inevitably wear you down unless you're already dealing tons of damage.

Keep at it and you should get it eventually. It's an annoying fight because of the traditionally bad camera, but certainly not the worst.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#59 Edited by Redhotchilimist (2947 posts) -

When Rom summons those big meteors from the sky, I was able to avoid them by running to the right. Either she aims where you're standing or I just got lucky.

#60 Edited by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Thx 4 the tips! I've finally killed it. Ignored all it's children. Woo-hooo!

#61 Edited by FrostyRyan (2901 posts) -

Oh man...Rom.

Having war flashbacks here. Best fight in the game though probably. Actually no, second best. Ludwig from the DLC is best

#62 Posted by JasonMasters (292 posts) -

Glad to see you are chugging along. It took me the better part of a year to beat bloodborne, as others have said, don't be afraid to take it slow.

#63 Edited by Nodima (2576 posts) -

Heh, I'm in the same spot you were now. Took me about two hours to consistently get past the first true mob of the game (and even then only after buying the Hunter wardrobe from the store) and now my big test is the courtyard almost IMMEDIATELY after with the gunman, forkman, knifeman and two dogs. Since I paid money for this game (about $20 several months ago) I've always felt bad about uninstalling it about two hours after I bought it the first go around, and figured this Return To Yharnam business would stoke the community side of things once the game got tougher. But I am stuck trying to play this game like I played DmC, and flailing wildly right past things looking like a buffoon, can't figure the parry out at all I just shoot at the ground...

Somehow I'm enjoying this, mostly because I've become so familiar with this 10 minute stretch over the past three hours I can listen to podcasts and ignore all the audio cues. I've gotten some basic advice from the subreddit, the primary one being that I lucked into the easiest starter weapon (the axe) and I hadn't realized there was a Zelda-like charge move, which along with the armor is what's helped me pretty consistently move through the first bit unscathed other than a shot from a rifle or two (though sometimes those rifle shots or two turn into or six and I'm done again). But I can't clear that damn courtyard for the life of me right now! Like I said, somehow I'm enjoying this, but I'm really starting to think this sort of game just isn't for me. I'm happy to be giving it the old college try this time around, but over three hours playing the same 15 minutes of a game just sounds like sadism in the abstract. At least when I was terrible at Rogue Legacy, I had some kind of progress I could make and eventually brute force my way through the first two bosses before I got exhausted of it.

The great irony of all this is that I was enjoying watching Natalie play Bloodborne over at Waypoint, and while watching her fight Father Gascogne over and over I couldn't help but think, "that really doesn't look hard at all..." *insert cackling Mark Hamill Joker here*

#64 Edited by Nodima (2576 posts) -

7 hours, several breaks, a bottle of wine and half a box of cigarettes later, I've realized where I can fortify my weapons, came to enjoy the simple loop of mastering that single area through rote repetition, started from the beginning with the Waypoint stream and realized we were on completely separate paths towards the same goal, and conquered the Cleric Beast! Most happily, before Natalie did, and with a strategy they were only barely hinting at while using different weapons. I mostly felt like I solved that on my own through ingenuity (and a random, happy jaunt through a sewer system while figuring out there was a sprint button and this game could be more than implied brute force).

Then I Googled it, found out the boss was technically optional, and that was it. I'm in. Then I bought the Kirkhammer 'cause I'd heard it mentioned on so many Bombcasts and Brad/Jeff/Vinny conversations/streams, went to train with it in Central Yarnham only to realize...I was 5 strength short of operating it. The Real Souls Begins!

#65 Posted by Humanity (18591 posts) -

@nodima: Kirkhammer is ok but honestly you should probably stick to the axe. As a small tip for newcomers: strength weapons are the best in Bloodborne because they will stagger regular enemies and more importantly bosses which can be crucial in certain fights. Of course if you're good then you're good, but as someone that went through the entire first playthrough using the cane whip because it looked cool as hell, the needling of bosses makes things more difficult, especially when they give you no respite.

#66 Posted by Nodima (2576 posts) -

@humanity said:

@nodima: Kirkhammer is ok but honestly you should probably stick to the axe. As a small tip for newcomers: strength weapons are the best in Bloodborne because they will stagger regular enemies and more importantly bosses which can be crucial in certain fights. Of course if you're good then you're good, but as someone that went through the entire first playthrough using the cane whip because it looked cool as hell, the needling of bosses makes things more difficult, especially when they give you no respite.

Thanks. I finally bested that damn gutter pig and completed the loop through Central Yarnham (I feel sort of cheap in doing that since I'm pretty sure I walked right up to the edge of the Gascogne fight, recognized the play field from a Waypoint stream and backed away) and now I'm just focusing on building up Vitality and Endurance (I picked the Scion build just because I named my character after a classic cocktail and that class' description sounded most like the drink...) and playing around with different weapons. The community seemed pretty evenly split between Kirkhammer, Saw Spear and Axe from what I was scanning last night while I spent hours just trying to tackle the main thoroughfare of Yarnham, though the Axe has the catchiest slogan by far.

Just the progress I've made today is so hilarious compared to where I was yesterday. I'm glad I finally get the appeal of these games, even if it took me far longer than most to get the hang of even its most basic sensibilities.

#67 Posted by Humanity (18591 posts) -

@nodima: I don't think you ever really need to grind although I can definitely see how coming up to a boss fog gate after crawling through the innards of Yarnham for an hour can seem especially intimidating – after having played every Souls game I still get a bit spooked by those fog gates. As I said though, most of the time the sole act of crawling up to the boss is enough to get you within level range although being slightly over leveled does give you that safety blanket of not taking a single claw swipe and seeing your health bar tank to the very bottom.

Bloodborne in my opinion is one of the best games in this series (the Souls series that is because it's undeniably another one of those) and even though there are some weird design decisions that hold it back in several regards, thankfully most of them only really apply to series veterans that will recognize them. For newcomers this is probably the best place to jump in.

#68 Posted by Nodima (2576 posts) -

@humanity said:

@nodima: I don't think you ever really need to grind although I can definitely see how coming up to a boss fog gate after crawling through the innards of Yarnham for an hour can seem especially intimidating – after having played every Souls game I still get a bit spooked by those fog gates. As I said though, most of the time the sole act of crawling up to the boss is enough to get you within level range although being slightly over leveled does give you that safety blanket of not taking a single claw swipe and seeing your health bar tank to the very bottom.

Bloodborne in my opinion is one of the best games in this series (the Souls series that is because it's undeniably another one of those) and even though there are some weird design decisions that hold it back in several regards, thankfully most of them only really apply to series veterans that will recognize them. For newcomers this is probably the best place to jump in.

I know there's probably no need to grind, but I always enjoy being overpowered if possible and I play most games with a podcast going, so sometimes if I'm really interested in the conversation I'm listening to I'd rather do a repetitive task than something I need to focus on 100%. One thing I really dig about the sound mixing on this game is that the audio cues are mixed rather high so I can keep the overall volume fairly low on the game but still feel mostly aware of my surroundings and what's around the corner.

#69 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Ok, so at the almost end of the game, i still use this hunter axe (currently + 8) and when i find some clothes, they are just a junk. I play it somehow wrong.

The game is really frustrating to me. I gave up trying to beat chalices, cause the fight with the fire dog is just making me too mad. I want to beat him, but not this time. Maybe on my 2nd try.

I am currently being kicked in my ass by this psychotic Micolash - i want to choke him so bad :D

So it's like a half year and still haven't beaten it. Pray for me :)

#70 Posted by IceColdGamer (700 posts) -

@richardqx: I just beat the game yesterday. Currently making my way through the Chalice Dungeons, got really lucky on the Dog and beat him on my second try. For Micolash, just wait until he starts his tentacle attack, go in and hit him with the Axe 3 times and back away. Always stay semi-close to him otherwise he will use an Arcane Explosion that will likely kill you. The Arcane doesn't trigger if you stand close enough to him. The wind up for the Tentacle Attack is long enough for you to side-step and go in with the Light Attack on the Axe.

Good luck man! You can do it!

#71 Edited by Humanity (18591 posts) -

@richardqx: probably one of my least favorite boss fights of the game and that’s counting the chalice dungeons. The run up is awful and he has that attack which can instantly kill you which feels a bit cheap. Overall more annoying than challenging as one wrong move can mean instant defeat, and that always sucks.

#72 Posted by NTM (11570 posts) -

@richardqx: People don't like Micolash, but I liked him because he's not just a typical arena boss fight and has character. He's not a hard boss himself, but running around the place can be tricky I suppose. I recommend just trying to run past normal enemies as best you can. I will say, from what I remember, that same level has the best possible place to farm blood echoes. Once you defeat the big eye and unlock the elevator that wraps around a cliffside that leads to the beginning of the stage, there'll be the Yeti or Giant Lost Child's that you can sneak up on and backstab and farm to get a lot of blood echoes. There'll be three that you can safely get to and then run right back to a close lamp near the elevator. I don't remember if you have to defeat Micolash first though. Man, I haven't played Bloodborne in two years and forgot the name of many of these things so I had to look it up, otherwise, I was using Dark Souls names for things.

#73 Posted by Humanity (18591 posts) -

I actually have this fight recorded as I recorded most of the boss fights in Bloodborne (video link) and now that I watched it yah that was a somewhat annoying fight.

#74 Posted by TheRealTurk (460 posts) -

For Micolash, the trick is to be really aggressive. He has basically zero poise, so as long as your're on him you can keep him stun-locked. Back him into a corner if you can. If he starts to cast A Call Beyond you need to stun him or you'll pretty much need to get lucky to survive it. Shooting him right away can sometimes do it. Otherwise Augur of Ebrietas has a really good chance of knocking him over and interrupting the cast.

#75 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I feel like luck rules that fight. He can just decide to spam A Call Beyond as soon as you drop down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.