My third playthrough : )

#1 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

On my first try to beat BB i was purely frustrated and haven't finished the game. I restarted it after 30 hours when i've messed something up in the Forbidden Woods and it was that i've accidentally atacked the hunter there which drowe him mad and, well i couldn't beat him + it just bothered me somehow.

Shorter time further, i started anew. I honestly wished to rush through it. Hate to buy a game and not to finish it. It's like a little obsession. It was more fun than first time and i've finished it after 38 hours with no chalice dungeon completed. Was kinda glad and thought the game's not really great.

And now, it attracted me to give it another try and to find out if i am able to see the greatness there. After 10 hours of a rather honest gameplay when i try to collect everything, and will try to complete at least some chalices - it has finally grown on me guys. The game took me like 80 hours divided into 3 playthroughs to trully appreciate how's it good.

Finally , i don't stick purely with the hunters axe. Started with the cleaver, now i'm using the kirkhammer. If only there were more interesting and useful armors to find. All new armors i found were sold, except for the hunters collection that i wear from almost the beginning . But i'm glad i restarted it this time. Am so excited to beat my favorite boss Amygdala. ^_^

Still playing it offline, i just don't like online elements in singleplayer. And i don't have the dlc but i don't care.

Now a little bit of venting. I think when i beaten Vicar Amelia previously it was easier than 'Father' and Starved Beast. This time, i can't be mad even more, lol. Been trying 3 times - ended up dead with her having more than a half of her health bar full. Also the hunter fighting alonside with me is dead so soon.

So i've been trying to grind for 2 hours which has ended with a 'tragedy' - i lost all blood vials, quick silver bullets and echoes - two hours and instead of a progress i've stepped a little backwards.

(If there's some mistakes in the text than pardon me, my english isn't anyhow great and i'm still in the learning process.)

Thanks for reading, eventually even 4 replies. Summa-summarum i only wanted to say that i finally embraced the difficulty and fell in love with the gameplay.

#2 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

My first online experience in bb, somewhere in the Cathedral Wards ...

1) Rang the bell, no one has arrived so after ten minutes i summoned this Old Hunter Heinreit (or somehow like that)

2) Suddenly a message has appeared telling me that some old lady has appeared somewhere

3) Found her on the top of a building , Heinreit still followed me

4) The player has stabbed me - maybe it was an accident, but probably didn't expect there's Heinreit behind his back

5) Heinreit stabbed the player back and thus pushed him over the edge deep down on a roof beneath us. The 'lady' player was almost dead, but Heinreit jumped down and finished him.

Funny, but i think i'll stick with the offline play : )

#3 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

Oh wow I remember your threads, you stuck with it, congrats! I thought you'd given up since it seemed like you've been trying to get into it/playing it for several months, but that's awesome that you got into it! It's a great feeling when a game finally clicks, isn't it?

Glad you like it, check out the Souls series too if you really love Bloodborne, all 3 Dark Souls games are available on PS4 and they are fairly frequently on sale/probably don't cost much nowadays. The gameplay and loop is very similar but in a more dark medieval style. DS3 is probably the most modern and closest to Bloodborne since it's the latest, it shares the engine and gameplay speed so I'd start there but DS1 and 2 are also worth checking out. One thing you might like is that there's no need for grinding bloodvials in Souls, since the healing items refresh/refill at bonfires (lanters in bloodborne) and you can upgrade the max amount you can carry from typically 5 to 15 (that's a little different in DS2) so the games feel less grindy unless you find it too difficult and grind for levels or something. I have no idea why they changed that system for Bloodborne, grinding for bloodvials is the worst.

And no worries, you don't have to play online, I also dislike invasions tho co-op can be useful/fun but there are also NPC summons in all souls games/bloodborne that you can use even in offline mode.

#4 Posted by mcbisquick (54 posts) -

Absolutely adore Bloodborne, so I always love to see people having a good time with it. Especially if the game threw up some roadblocks whether intentional or unintentional. Sometimes it's a little more satisfying to "earn" that appreciation for a game. I remember with the first Dark Souls, I honestly wasn't sure if I enjoyed it until about two weeks after I had finished it. Now the Souls series and Bloodborne are some of my favorites of all time.

I'm not too into the invasion and online stuff myself, but they can lead to some pretty fun moments. Still, they're not core to what makes these games great, imo. So do what makes you happy.

Also, I can totally recommend picking up the DLC if you ever get the chance and the time to. It has some of my favorite boss fights and the setting is pretty freaky even by Bloodborne standards.

#5 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -
Loading Video...

Hey guys cheers. ^_^ Yeah, DS Remaster is on my wish-list :)

Can you tell me how to get the item on the 'balcony' ?

And i've forgot to stock up some of those flasks that prevent hp restoration... Ooops

#6 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -
#7 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Thaanks ; )

#8 Edited by sjaak (35 posts) -

Ive tried Dark Souls when it came out but it didnt click, but Bloodborne got me playing for hours straight, finishing it 3 times in total to this date. Something about the fast combat + getting health back by attacking brings a lot of joy.

After Bloodborne Ive completed Dark Souls 2 + 3 and soon I will buy the remaster of the original, but Bloodborne will always be my favorite. Maybe because its the first of the series that clicked, but for me its just a better game overall, much more focused. For example, giving me the many samy weapons which I will never use in Dark Souls or the 10 great weapons in Bloodborne, I would choose the second.

Glad you like it so far and dont be ashamed to not go online, I sure as hell almost never did.

#9 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

I don't know why but the remaster looks so attractive to me. Though Bb's got more interesting settings imo, DS1 is the start and an equal classic as Bb.

I'm really excited to play it and compare it to Bb - and it'll be another game with tons of top-notch bosses.

Hey, DS and Bb are so deep and unique. I think i'll pick the remaster actually sooner than i've thought. Planned to get different games before, but i got some strong thirst for it.

#10 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Tried again, died again. Is it possible to kill Amelia without those anti-regeneration bottles? They r not for sale. Previously i've had a weak char and managed to kill it without serious struggle but this time it's insane. I got over 20 k of blood echoes in her area and don't want to loose them - which could easily happen when a normal enemy defeats me. So what now? Also i'm going to be running out of insight soon, if i'll be still dying by her crazy hands.

(she's a b***)

The Amelia's music is epic!

#11 Posted by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

@richardqx: It's definitely possible to beat her without the bottles which I assume you mean numbing mist it's just harder. Do you use visceral attacks in your gameplay? That's also useful against her. By visceral attacks I mean parry (shoot) with your gun right before the attack which if successful, stuns the enemy and allows you to quickly go up to them, press r1 and deal huge amount of damage. It works on most bosses and regular enemies. Difficult to learn at the start but once you practice a bit it's easy and really helps with high health enemies.

And yeah Souls games are cool. Keep in mind that DS1 while similar to BB is gonna have slower combat than Bloodborne so if you want something as close as possible to BB's faster combat then DS3 is a good choice. That said, totally all of them are worth checking out, even Demon's Souls (which is still exclusive to ps3, pls remake/remaster rumors be true) Glad you got into the series! If say DS1 doesn't click with you don't worry, there's plenty of people who dislike one DS game but love another one and they are all great imo.

My personal ranking would probably be 1.DS3, 2.BB, 3.DS1, 4.Demon's, 5.DS2 but I love all of them, just some more than others :)

#12 Edited by Richardqx (159 posts) -

I know and i use the visceral attacks, i only thought it's not possible to stun this boss. Tried it first time ans it didn't work. I know it sometimes fails to stun the enemy, but i must have been unlucky because it didn't work there multiple times.

The visceral attacks are although awesome. On my previous playthrough i totally ignored the pistol, thought it's worthles . And this time - i don't even know how i could managed to get through the game without this.

EDITE: is there a choice between off and online play in the remastered DS1? Or the notes by other players are forced to be there? I know, i don't have to read them but still i just don't like online elements in such games. Am asking cause i haven't seen the option 4 that in a gameplay.

Wow, DS3 #1 ? Still, i like to jump in a series from the start ^_^

#13 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

@richardqx: Yes and no, there's a few different things about DS1. There was no option in the original release so you had to either unplug or just go into console settings and check off internet connection. Maybe this changed with the remaster, I only played the original. Either way since you're on PS4 it'll be as easy as going into console settings and checking off internet connection. You still get trophies etc. You have another choice related to online:

DS1 also has a mechanic a bit like insight. You have 2 states, let's call it undead and human, when you're undead nobody can invade you and you can't summon, there's a consumable item called "humanity" you can use to turn yourself human which opens you up to invasions but also allows summoning. If you die you turn back into an undead. If you use humanity and turn into a human, and use it again while human you get +1 humanity kinda like insight in the top corner. Spending that one extra humanity at a bonfire (BB lamp) makes that one bonfire "kindled" and it permamently refills your healing flasks (bloodvials) to 10. So if you go back to it it'll always give you 10 flasks, but if you go to another bonfire not "kindled" it'll give you standard 5. It's explain a little in-game but you can also read some guides on it, Souls games aren't very good with tutorials sadly.

TL;DR - if you want to avoid invasions in DS1, just stay undead.

#14 Posted by CrazyCarl (37 posts) -

If you attack her feet you will stun her. Like most bosses in BB, aggression pays off. I would recommend watching a couple videos online to get a feel for the strategy.

#15 Posted by superslidetail (431 posts) -

I don't normally like games like this but I received Bloodborne as a gift so I'm trying to give it a shot. I can't beat the first boss and its super frustrating. Not being able to block drives me nuts but I guess that's the point, right? lol

#16 Edited by Richardqx (159 posts) -

So, i am currently at the Nightmare Frontier. It's absolutely beautiful location, though what bothers me is that there's not sufficient amount of xp to gain. I run out of vials which sucks - grinding there takes forever. But the boss is so awesom man. I think it's my favorite boss fight of all time.

Previous bosses: Amelia - cca 10 tries, Witches - 2nd try (they were kinda easy), Shadows Of Yharnam - 3 or 4 tries, Rom The Spider - 2nd try, boss at the Unseen village (forgot it's name) 2 tries

The hardest were those 3 hunters in the village. Took me like cca 12 times to beat the hell out of them all.

I got a question - where are all the chalices leading elsewhere than to the pthumeru area? Like, i'm at the ending but got only these O_o

#17 Edited by inevpatoria (7422 posts) -

@richardqx said:

So, i am currently at the Nightmare Frontier. It's absolutely beautiful location, though what bothers me is that there's not sufficient amount of xp to gain. I run out of vials which sucks - grinding there takes forever. But the boss is so awesom man. I think it's my favorite boss fight of all time.

Previous bosses: Amelia - cca 10 tries, Witches - 2nd try (they were kinda easy), Shadows Of Yharnam - 3 or 4 tries, Rom The Spider - 2nd try, boss at the Unseen village (forgot it's name) 2 tries

The hardest were those 3 hunters in the village. Took me like cca 12 times to beat the hell out of them all.

I got a question - where are all the chalices leading elsewhere than to the pthumeru area? Like, i'm at the ending but got only these O_o

One of the tips another forum user here suggested to me is to take all your Blood Echoes left over after leveling your character and use those to buy more Blood Vials from the messengers. Doing this every time will help build a stockpile of vials, which can otherwise be extremely tiresome to grind for.

I'm glad you're enjoying Bloodborne, even after multiple runs through the game. I had a similar experience returning to it earlier this year. It's one of my favorites from the generation.

RE: Chalices: You only get a couple of Chalices from the main game (and some--all?--come from optional bosses). The rest you acquire by playing through the Chalice Dungeons themselves.

#18 Posted by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

@richardqx: To add to what the poster above said, Chalice Dungeons are mostly procedurally generated optional dungeons with some bosses that don't appear in the main game. I think most people just treat them as some nice side content to have fun with once you finish the game.

If you want more proper Bloodborne, I really recommend the DLC it was originally 2 DLCs but they combined it into 1 so it's quite large and offers a lot. It's regarded as one of the best DLCs in the Souls series, though I wouldn't probably recommend it on "new game +" because you gonna get wrecked, going there during a regular playthrough near the end is probably the best idea.

#20 Edited by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Thank you for the tips. I'm not sure if i'll go to the dlc though. I just don't even know why.. Never care about them if they're not included on the disc. And i buy only physicals. Like my favorite games were 1st and 2nd Gothic but, i never bought the addon to G2 although people say it's great.

Anyway - Amygdala's dead. Took me 3 tries. Awesome boss battle. Her design and scale are incredible.

#21 Posted by Richardqx (159 posts) -

Am at Nightmare of Mensis. Love the location for how it's chalenging and hate it for the same.

Such a long and tough place, where the peak of it's difficulty is the fight with spiders and their queen, immediately folllwed by another hunter fight. And till u don't kill him, u just have to beat those spiders over and over again. And after the trip? Mikolas The D*** - it's my least favorite bloodborne boss... I hate to run after him 10 minutes and when i make a mistake, he use his instakill spell - have a nice day. I'm so glad there's the second lamp, oh god.

Been speaking about hunters, i don't know why are some of them hostile. O_o Gonna search for it.

And now, do you remember wheter there is supposed to be another layer in the fixed Pthumeru area after the fire-dog boss?? I didn't notice though just seen on yt a guy had there more layers. Need to get few ritual blood (4) and it seems i can get them only in the chalices. But i already removed the pthumeru one, thinking i've completed it. Well, nevermind. Yeah, i would like to se another 'fixed' chalice and after defeating Amygdala - al i need are those ritual bloods (4). I can see - the DLC is probably kind of crucial, as u don't have acces to many cool things. Well, but when they gave me a new chalice to a different location, and they don't permit me to go there without the DLC - it kind of sucks. Not sure if it's true, but it seems so. But nevermind.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.