Patch 1.07 is here

• 70 results
#51 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

@golguin: I'm at 108 on NG++, just got to the first boss (no name just in case that would be a spoiler). Right now I'm being really stubborn and just sticking to untransformed Saw Cleaver R1 attacks. Dying a lot but slowly figuring him out and getting that rhythm down bit by bit. That mid-range lunging attack he does always seems to come when I'm about to make a decision and I feel like I'm moving in quicksand for that split second.

After I handle this business I'll go back and step to the chump with the beast claws ... he ain't shit

I finally beat that first boss with my level 99 character on NG+ and it was a very satisfying fight. After 10+ deaths I was finally was able to consistently dodge most attacks that resulted in a very clean kill for me. I like bosses that die relatively easily after you finally understand the moveset.

I'm currently working on a 2nd boss, which I expect might be a secret optional boss due to the hoops I went through to get the ability to fight it.

#52 Edited by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: NG+8 huh. You really like Bloodborne. After Demon's Souls, I haven't had any desire to play the other souls games beyond NG+ to be honest. Something about them just didn't captivate me as much as Demon's Souls did. I guess your first one will always remain special.

Great vid.

#53 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@mordukai: Thanks, I feel like Bloodborne just scales the best out of all the Souls games. Dark Souls II might be a bit more difficult on super high NG+'s but Bloodborne just tends to feel like a fair, incremental challenge each time. I did play the first Dark Souls up to NG+7 a long while back and that was reasonably fun but with Bloodborne (practically) each weapon is drastically different from the next and each run feels almost totally unique.

On NG+8 I think Ludwig has somewhere along the lines of 40,000 health with one summon, which is a hell of a lot more than all of the other bosses in the DLC; he's effectively two bosses in one which is cool nominally but pretty annoying when it's that much of a chore just to get to the second phase. It's kind of like an enrage timer to do enough damage before your NPC buddy dies because it's quite difficult to land significant damage consistently without them past the first phase (though not impossible); naturally the fight is just more fun with Henriett than without, though it would likely be too easy on lower difficulties that way.

#54 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: My first character on Demon's Souls is somewhere on NG+24/27. I don't really remember which one but somewhere there. It's almost impossible for me to play on that save file.

#55 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@mordukai: I may have gotten to NG+7 in Demon's Souls, been a long time since I played it though aside from Bridge Blue Phantoming which never gets old. Brushwood shield trivializes Flame Lurker, various things trivialize Maneater; rest of the game isn't too bad even capped out (aside from like Rat Ogres and shit that you just skip).

League Co-Op appears to have no restrictions with other League members, as I've gotten nothing but Confederates whilst fighting Orphan of Kos (I'm SL 295); and some of them have been one shot by fairly weak attacks.

#56 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Sadly, I did not get into the pvp in Bloodborne. Not from lack of interest but from other games and other activities taking up my time.

My main Demon's Souls pvp was my low level invasions. I took a level 14 character and cleared world 2 (without brushwood) so you can guess just how much fun Flamelurker was on a level 14 melee build. That gets you pure dragon stone. I then made a Long Dragon Sword +5 and did a ton of low level invasions all around world 2. Was fun. People would get caught completely off guard by how much damage output I had. Sadly I was too low level for Old Monk summons.

IDK why FROM never really used that Old Monk fight mechanics in later games. I remember just how much it blew my mind when I realized he was summoning real people as boss.

Anyways. Cool they added a PVP covenant to bloodborne. Does it at least varies the location of pvping in the game or Nightmare Frontier still the main pvp hub?

#57 Edited by Teddie (2137 posts) -

@mordukai said:

IDK why FROM never really used that Old Monk fight mechanics in later games. I remember just how much it blew my mind when I realized he was summoning real people as boss.

They totally used that mechanic in DS2 with the Looking Glass Knight

#58 Posted by Shindig (4911 posts) -

Nah, I'm not finding Bloodborne's back section fair. I ran through Unseen and Mensis desperately trying to unlock shortcuts and lamps. Might've been more fun if they allowed Bell Maidens to be one-time deals but having them respawn means you're always dealt with the same chore of tracking them down and watching for the Hunters they spawn.

#59 Edited by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@teddie said:
@mordukai said:

Oh yeah. Though it wasn't to the same degree as Old Monk. The four times I fought him I didn't get single summon even though I went real slow with him.

#60 Posted by golguin (5469 posts) -

@mordukai said:
@teddie said:
@mordukai said:

Oh yeah. Though it wasn't to the same degree as Old Monk. The four times I fought him I didn't get single summon even though I went real slow with him.

People had to actively be trying to get summoned into the Looking Glass Knight by placing their red soapstone there. I was doing it a lot when I was going through that area, but stopped once I moved on. Since there was no cov associated with doing that people had no reason to continue.

They eventually got smart as well. Groups would go in with 3 helpers and activate all the red soapstones in the area and kill the invaders before the boss fight one by one. Any red sign you'd see on the ground had the potential to be summoned into the boss fight so it would make sense for those people to stop the process at the root. They had to do it since they almost had no chance with the boss and a PVP fight at the same time.

#61 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@mordukai: I bothered to make a Skill Weapon discussion video if you're curious, would love any feedback you can offer, though due to the nature of Bloodborne weapons being extremely versatile it's hard to have a specific, strong opinion regarding each weapon in question:

Loading Video...

#62 Edited by Milijango (204 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I haven't used the Beasthunter Saif much, but it seems kind of bad or at least not noteworthy in untransformed mode. The transformed (retracted) mode seems like the selling point; it has a huge step-in with the regular and dodging R1 that makes it very easy to get your first attack in. The transform attacks are also great for either closing distance or creating it which might have a lot of potential.

It also sounds like the Rakuyo has a pretty unusual transformed moveset where the L2 is completely different depending on what attack precedes it. I was initially disappointed that so many of the bosses' attacks were missing but it seems like they are all there minus the sweet particle effects and double-seppuku. The sound design is really weedy unfortunately.

#63 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@milijango: Interesting re: Rakuyo, thanks. You don't have the other two charged attacks I suppose (though how the game would facilitate that is a mystery), just the poke, which as it happens is excellent. I don't think From wanted anything to compete with the Bloodletter for Hari Kari Bloodstains in the Hunter's Dream.

#64 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Cool vid. My other character is straight-out skill build so it should come in handy.

#65 Posted by Shindig (4911 posts) -

Doing some overtime tomorrow which might justify getting the DLC. Level 63 at the minute and have had a couple of failed attempts at Wet Nurse. I could farm the pig gauntlet for a couple of levels, I suppose.

#66 Posted by Milijango (204 posts) -

@shindig: 63 is a good level to go into the DLC. Don't make any big decisions after beating the Wet Nurse or you might end up in NG+.

#67 Edited by Shindig (4911 posts) -

Ok. I assumed beating her was end credits time but those pedestals probably tell me otherwise. Going to do some of the things I've missed, anyway.

EDIT: Couldn't wait. Wrapped it up. Not sure I want to play more of it in a DLC sense. Anybody feel this is From being at their most obtuse, though? I still feel like I've no idea whats gone on in this game asides from, "There's a hunt. Guess I'll be participating." Dark Souls gave you at least enough to get by without trawling through curious notes and item descriptions.

My second character will be used solely to figure this out.

#68 Posted by Ares42 (4341 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I dunno if you've played much with the blades but you didn't really mention what makes them really good, the dodge attack. It's super fast, has very good range, deals a bunch of damage (hitting with both blades) and it gets you right back into the action. It's just perfect for fighting most bosses since the fights mostly consists of dodging attacks then getting a jab or two in.

#69 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@ares42: I did a whole playthrough on NG+7 with them, the dodge attack is good and I used it frequently; but it isn't a vortex or anything and a lot of dodge attacks are good in the game.

#70 Posted by Shindig (4911 posts) -

In keeping with my theme of showing boss fights which involve near death, here's the successful Wet Nurse. Eurgh.

Loading Video...

As with most dupe fights, it seems best to pick a favourite and go. Also, I'm surprised at how well NG+ scales. My only other experience of NG+ is with Dark Souls and the first half of that is a fun power trip. This time around, it feels like you're back at the start and enemies take 3 hits to go down. I think that's where the new summons might come in handy as I wound up only using one summon throughout my run.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.