Patch 1.09: You can buy Blood Rocks

#1 Edited by Milijango (204 posts) -

This changes everything.

Official patch notes here (and duplicated below):

The newest update (v 1.09) has been released.

Major content for update 1.09:

Changes to weapons

• The strength and stamina cost for several weapons has been adjusted.

Changes to Insight Shop

•  In order to trade for the Blood stone Chuck, the necessary amount of Insight has been changed from 30 to 20.
  •  Trading for the Blood Rock is now possible. 60 pieces of Insight are required.
  •  A certain portion of the main game must been cleared in order to access the above.

Several other fixes and adjustments have been made.

Please look forward to the implementation of the newest update.

Thank you for playing Bloodborne. Keep up the hunt.

#2 Posted by Humanity (18711 posts) -

About goddamn time.

Replaying the entire game or chalice dungeon grinding was not an efficient way to try different weapons.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#3 Posted by militantfreudian (681 posts) -

Is it just me or 20 Insights is still a little too steep? That means you'll need 320 Insights to get from +6 to +9. Farming the zombie werewolves in Yahar'gul seems more convenient.

#4 Posted by Humanity (18711 posts) -

I wish they made an item that let you level down your NG+ level by giving up stat points or something. I'm scared to buy this new DLC that I really want to play because my only character is way deep into the NG's and I've heard that makes part of the DLC extremely difficult - like not fun anymore difficult.

#5 Edited by Milijango (204 posts) -

@militantfreudian: Blood chunks aren't supposed to be convenient. That was why they were an ass to find at launch; they're high level upgrade materials.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

Eh, it's taken them far too long far as I'm concerned. After going through the DLC with two different characters, I'm starting to lose interest and I'll be shelving it again pretty soon.

Is it just me or 20 Insights is still a little too steep? That means you'll need 320 Insights to get from +6 to +9. Farming the zombie werewolves in Yahar'gul seems more convenient.

With the stones you can find in the DLC areas, as well as some that may be rewarded for beating chalice dungeon bosses, there's quite a lot of chunks you can attain just from one playthrough. Unless you're planning on leveling up every single weapon across a single playthrough, there's more than enough chunks to see you get four or five weapons to +9.

#7 Posted by Dussck (1053 posts) -

Wait, when can you buy the chunks? I'm halway NG+ and still can't buy blood stone chunks :(

But yea, finally I can try out some other weapons instead of that damn Axe :p

#8 Posted by IVDAMKE (1823 posts) -

Too bad Bloodborne doesn't give me any reason to replay it and level up a new weapon. Shame about that total garbage PvP.

#9 Edited by Dragon_Puncher (619 posts) -

Like with all Soul's games Bloodborne gets easier to handle the more it's updated. I don't really mind it, but it's kinda a weird tendency for games that are known for their difficulty and not holding the player's hand.

#10 Edited by Sackmanjones (5595 posts) -

I think it's kind of a telling sign that when I read the title of this thread I thought "buying blood rooks" translated to micro transaction. I am relieved to hear that's not the case!

Anyway, this is cool. I missed the blood rock in the main game and I'm working on my NG+ to get to the dlc and it's kind of a relief that I can finally get my damn weapons to level 10

#11 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@humanity said:

I wish they made an item that let you level down your NG+ level by giving up stat points or something. I'm scared to buy this new DLC that I really want to play because my only character is way deep into the NG's and I've heard that makes part of the DLC extremely difficult - like not fun anymore difficult.

The only "wall" you might encounter would be the bosses. The DLC win in all other aspects but that. People can defend and white knight that aspect of the game all they want, it's still doesn't change that bosses in the DLC are badly designed.

One thing you can do is stock up on echoes and over level that character.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
#12 Posted by militantfreudian (681 posts) -
@yummylee said:

With the stones you can find in the DLC areas, as well as some that may be rewarded for beating chalice dungeon bosses, there's quite a lot of chunks you can attain just from one playthrough.

Okay, that's good to know, because unless you were lucky with the drops, I don't think you can upgrade more than two weapons to +9 in the main game.

@milijango: I didn't say that they should be easy to obtain. I just merely mentioned that there is a much more convenient and "cost-effective" way of getting Bloodstone Chunks. On second thought, I actually think this might be useful if they're still available for purchase at the start of a new game plus; otherwise, I don't know.

#13 Edited by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

@militantfreudian said:
@yummylee said:

With the stones you can find in the DLC areas, as well as some that may be rewarded for beating chalice dungeon bosses, there's quite a lot of chunks you can attain just from one playthrough.

Okay, that's good to know, because unless you were lucky with the drops, I don't think you can upgrade more than two weapons to +9 in the main game.

FYI, there's another blood rock you can find at the very end of the DLC as well. It's not nearly as hidden as the one in the base game was, either.

#14 Posted by Fitzgerald (610 posts) -

All I need to know is: did they nerf the Rifle Spear aka the best weapon in a Souls game ever?

#15 Posted by Milijango (204 posts) -

@militantfreudian:They definitely stay through NG+ in the shop, and always have.

@fitzgerald: If you're talking about the arcane bug that was fixed months ago. Otherwise I really doubt they did. I don't think I've seen it used in co-op even once, which is a shame because it has a great moveset.

#16 Posted by Humanity (18711 posts) -

@mordukai: Yah I got my fair share of chalice dungeon bosses that are able to kill you with a single hit in the defiled areas to last me a lifetime. Dying from one or two hits is a challenge of patience more so than a challenge of skill - even worse when it's an AoE attack.

#17 Posted by Cav829 (827 posts) -

About bloody time with the Blood Rock change.. I actually kept a backup save file for the purpose of DLC usage handy, and my exact cutoff point for it was right before I used my Blood Rock for that purpose. I wanted to try the DLC pre my new game+ though, and after hearing how nightmarishly hard it is, I stand by my decision.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
#18 Edited by deactivated-582d227526464 (835 posts) -

I'm glad From isn't the type of company to ignore what they could do to improve their games. A change like this goes a long way in respecting the player's time (no more chalice runs yay!), and it's great to see them actually take note of how their game gets played. Like, I'm sure they actually want to encourage weapon experimentation but by now I'm also sure they've realized the chalice dungeons weren't exactly a success, so this really is the next logical change for people still playing the game.

@dragon_puncher said:

Like with all Soul's games Bloodborne gets easier to handle the more it's updated. I don't really mind it, but it's kinda a weird tendency for games that are known for their difficulty and not holding the player's hand.

The difficulty of the game pretty much remains the same with this update, it's just cutting out the tedious bullshit. I hear you with some of the previous patches though, such as the maximum blood vial increase.

#19 Posted by ShadyPingu (1806 posts) -

Oh really? Burial Blade here I come!

#20 Posted by ripelivejam (13158 posts) -

get dem blood rockz son

#21 Posted by SkullPanda1 (1624 posts) -
#22 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@humanity said:

@mordukai: Yah I got my fair share of chalice dungeon bosses that are able to kill you with a single hit in the defiled areas to last me a lifetime. Dying from one or two hits is a challenge of patience more so than a challenge of skill - even worse when it's an AoE attack.

Well get ready for more. Only 2 boss fights in that whole dlc are actually fun while another is more manageable. The rest are really from trolling their player base. The rest is more like "beat your head against this wall until you break it." I seriously cannot understand how they managed to drop the ball on that aspect since so many others seem to be so painstakingly designed.

#23 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@claybrez said:

I'm glad From isn't the type of company to ignore what they could do to improve their games. A change like this goes a long way in respecting the player's time (no more chalice runs yay!), and it's great to see them actually take note of how their game gets played. Like, I'm sure they actually want to encourage weapon experimentation but by now I'm also sure they've realized the chalice dungeons weren't exactly a success, so this really is the next logical change for people still playing the game.

Amen to that!

The chalice dungeons would have worked better if they got the same love and care the main game did. My issue with them was not their difficulty, it was more to do with them being...well, boring. I know from talking to people who completed all of them that later dungeons are rather well put together but that's a lot of fat to cut through to get to the meat, imo. Souls games always felt like everything in it is well thought out and carefully placed and it feels like the Chalice Dungeons concept was the first time From Soft deviated from that doctrine.

I hope that if they decided to revisit that concept in later then they will give more thought and better care. And if they decided never to revisit that idea again, well I won't shed a tear.

#24 Posted by Milijango (204 posts) -

@mordukai: Which DLC bosses did you find were trolling/unfun? I'm guessing Laurence is one - phase 2 is the worst boss since Bloodletting Beast. The DLC bosses are a step down from Artorias of the Abyss but Ludwig is one of my favourite fights.

Also, if they had removed depths 1-3 and materials from the game chalice dungeons would be far more palatable.

#25 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@milijango: Pretty much what everyone is saying. Ludwig is much more manageable then Laurence (whom I have to admit, never personally fought on my game but I have coop it enough to have seen just how badly designed he is).From just gave them a crazy amount of attacks and a lot of one hit kill attacks that come seemingly out of nowhere. I am pretty sure it's also a case of sour grapes on my side too. I remember feeling that way about Artorias of the Abyss but he ended up being my favorite boss in Dark Souls.

#26 Edited by GunstarRed (6049 posts) -

@dussck said:

Wait, when can you buy the chunks? I'm halway NG+ and still can't buy blood stone chunks :(

But yea, finally I can try out some other weapons instead of that damn Axe :p

Right after The One Reborn.

#27 Edited by Humanity (18711 posts) -

@mordukai: I would have preferred two chalice dungeons, like 3-4 floors each, that were hand crafted like the rest of the game with a unique boss at the end of each one rather than the endless run of repeating floors we actually got. I've never had such a dizzying feeling of deja vu before as I did clearing floor after floor of those chalice dungeons. "Did I forget to use the elevator? Am I still on the same floor?" I'd ask myself countless times as I would round that same corner or go up the same stair configuration.

#28 Edited by Shindig (4909 posts) -

I kinda like the loot lust of Chalice Dungeons. Nice to see them continuing to support this throughout the year and I guess they have to make upgrade materials more available when they introduce countless new weapons in the DLC.

#29 Posted by mordukai (8516 posts) -

@humanity: Pretty much my feelings when I was going through them. I did see a cool area here and there but those areas were few and far in between. It really felt like they were made by DM with a basic knowledge of dungeon making. What I mean is...Corridor...Corridor...Corridor...Side Room (minor loot)...Corridor...Big Room (semi major encounter)...Corridor...Corridor...Side Room...Extra Big Corridor....Boss Room. Ohhh, and same type of traps.

What got me the most was that I would clear a room with sorta tough enemies and you'd see this big shiny sarcophagus. Open it, aaaaaaand, it's ritual blood. Yippee.

@shindig:All the different version of the DLC weapon are available to purchase from the Bath Messengers right at the start of the Pthumeru Labyrinth for 80k. Create Glyph 8i29rqz3 and go up the ladder from the main room.

#30 Posted by Shindig (4909 posts) -

Good to know. I mainly look around the Dungeons for gems. Particularly at the moment where I'm trying to outpower the Shadows.

#31 Posted by colorbrandon (190 posts) -

Still too expensive. Really should be 5 for chunks, 30 for Rocks.

#32 Edited by Dragon_Puncher (619 posts) -

@milijango:

I have soloed every Soulsborne boss and Laurence is probably the hardest or at least in the top 3 of any of the games. His AOE attacks are very hard to dodge and if you're close ranged the last form is just insane, since there isn't really anywhere you can hit him from and be safe.

One of the few times it went from fun to frustrating.

Edit: Ludwig is a chomp once you learn the pattens and second form is much easier than the first.

#33 Posted by Milijango (204 posts) -

@dragon_puncher: Lud and Zallen from Dark Souls II are probably the only ones that I can automatically say are less appealing to fight. I did solo them eventually, just the once.

Phase 1 Laurence is easy enough (but too long) but for phase 2 I haven't come up with anything better than stand there and nail every single dodge. I mean, I guess that's how I fight every boss but between the lava trail and his giant arms it gets old fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.