Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

question about weapons damage and scaling

frost0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So im new to the soul series but im quickly grasping the combat and what not. But i do have a question about weapon damage and maybe im over looking something idk but it didnt make sense to me.

i haven't checked recently but early in the game i had 2 weapons both upgraded to +3

hunter axe +3 was at 125 att d/str e/skill

kirkhammer +3 was at 135 att b/str e/skill

now the kirkhammer had slightly more att than the axe and better scaling in str but my axe was hitting harder in all phases where it was 1hand mode or 2hand mode. is there something im over looking or any reason why the kirk was hitting for less even though it had higher att?

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
    SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When dealing with physical dmg, pay attention to the type of physical dmg, not the number output.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

There are two types of physical damage, Blunt and Thrust. Different enemies have different resistances to damage types. It may be the enemies you are facing have higher resistance against Kirkhammer's damage type and less against the Axe.

It is confusing me still, because there used to be 3 damage types: slash, strike and thrust. Not blunt seems to be both slash and strike? I'm not sure how it works to be honest.

frost0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When dealing with physical dmg, pay attention to the type of physical dmg, not the number output.

i understand that there is blunt and thrust damage associated with each weapon, but i tested my damage vs a cpl different kinds of enemies.

for example, i walked up to a crow enemy hit it once with my axe then switched and hit it with the kirkhammer axe hit harder, the i did it to a henchman and had the same results the axe hit harder even though the "base att" for the kirk was higher.

at the time since it was early in the game i didnt have really any bloodstones in the weapons that would make a difference and if i did they were duplicated that would of been in both of the weapons,

so unless the enemies i was hitting had resistances to the kirk and not the axe, im not quite sure how the damage was working. unless certain weapons are just natively weaker becuase the swing faster?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frost0: It would surprise me if the crows and regular enemies or light carriers have different resistances. It's unsurprising you'd get those results. You should try the Kirkhammer on asshole NPC invaders and see what happens then. I'm assuming you'd do more damage against them. Perhaps the giants too.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the new damage types frustrating.

Before it made sense a skeletal enemy, or armored enemy would be strong against slashing, but here there aren't really any indicators.

Think about this though, with the axe you can only get a 3 hit combo, while the sword of the KH can get around 5 hits, so the unequal damage makes more sense

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brotherbran: I agree. The elimination of slash confuses me. Is a slash attack now the same as thrust? Or blunt? I read blunt somewhere, but I can't find where, so now I'm unsure. I'm sort of confused why they would change this. Like, why change slash but not strike? There is only like one striking weapon in the first half of the game anyways.

Dregdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pretty sure that "physical damage" is slashing (it is a square with a line through it) and then thrust and blunt are thrust and blunt. Basically instead of saying physical damage, slashing, thrust, and blunt there is just physical, thrust and blunt. I could be completely wrong but that is what I have been assuming so far.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dregdon: I was under the impression physical damage is divided between thrust and blunt by how it is presented and how it was presented in previous games. Also, physical damage is always equal to the highest damage number for me, I believe. That would mean something like a Kirkhammer has as much slash as blunt? Don't think that's the case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.