Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Vicar Amelia - need some help... (Boss Spoilers)

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By qlanth

I've had a somewhat difficult time adjusting to not using a shield in bloodborne but I feel as if I made a turning point after Father Gasciogne and things have been much smoother since then. When I got to the Blood Starved Beast I beat it on the first try. I was feeling pretty awesome.

Then I got to Vicar Amelia. I can't figure out what I'm missing here. I've got the move set down. I can dodge most attacks without much of an issue. I can get her down to ~30% health very regularly. And then the heals start.

Every fight last 15-20 minutes. Every time I get her down to around 25%-30% she initiates her heal and I cannot for the life of me reliably break it. She will heal herself back up to 50+% and it starts all over again. Eventually I run out of healing potions and die, and it starts again.

I'm using the +3 Axe with +Atk% gems and Fire Paper. I go two handed and use my charge attack then swing wildly. She'll continue to heal. I have tried molotovs and those don't break it. I've tried shooting her and that doesn't break it. About 1/4th of the time I hit her she'll stop healing right away and I cannot figure out why. I ran out of numbing mists a long time ago and I can't find any more.

What am I missing here? I've tried using different weapons, different items, I've tried pumping up my damage. I've tried pumping up my health. I have lost around 110,000 BE from mistakes so far. Two other time I ran in and grabbed my souls then teleported out so I could spend them and level up. I sat down with my girlfriend and we figured out that I have done 50 attempts on her in about 5.5hours. I'm tired of fighting this boss!

Quick Edit - I should also mention that for whatever reason I seem to be unble to summon anyone for this boss. I can use the beckoning bell, but I get no response. I've used 5 insight and never had any responses. I can't tell if the Bloodborne servers are just getting wrecked or if my wifi is too unstable. Either way, I can't get summoning to work.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Bloodborne has some issues with summoning. Many report losing Insight and then no one being summoned into their world.

As for the bossfight, for whatever reason some people are unable to stun her. You say you use two-handed Axe mode which is +3 and Fire Paper. That should be enough to stunlock her. She stuns after you do enough damage within a certain amount of time. What you basically want to do is, as soon as she starts healing, you use your most powerful attack (charge) immediately followed up with more attacks (regular). That should do the most damage, fastest. When she stuns, go to her head and use the visceral attack, then immediately attack her again as the damage from the visceral attack counts towards the next stun.

I did it as such:

Loading Video...

That said, from what I read about you, you already sort of tried that. Perhaps you are way underleveled for this fight? If you do about 120 damage with each strike, it should be enough. It is probably possible to defeat her somehow if you can't; I've read about stunning her with mist. But in general, you'll want to make sure you do enough damage.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By qlanth

When she is healing is it important to attack from the side like that? I'm usually just attacking head on while she heals.

Im not sure my damage is too low. I think I have 18 strength. The axe's damage is 135. I'm not sure that counts the +Atk% gems or not.

fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use the "Numbing mist" item that prevent an enemy from healing. You can find it somewhere in the stairs area leading up to the boss.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately I've used all the numbing mist. It was my best run by far when I did. I ran out and it doesn't seem to be something you can buy anywhere.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@qlanth: Zevvion and I had a long and protracted discussion about this boss in another thread. My advice would be to just skip her for now and go to Hemwick Charnel Lane that is just to the left and is a relatively short, dead end area with a significant upgrade for your character at the end of it. You can find several material drops that will help you get your weapon up to about +5 and you'll gain some levels which will increase your defense and generally you'll be better off for it. For me it made a world of difference as initially I also wasn't able to knock her out of healing much less stun her, and after my whip was completely stunlocking her out of attacks.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

If you're taking that long, I'd say you're doing it wrong. Both times I've beaten her, it's been by being very aggressive. Sitting behind her works quite well, as she can only hit you with one or two attacks. Once you get a good position, wail on her. After a few hits, she'll likely stagger and you can keep attacking. It's a potentially dangerous strategy, but it's the only real way to deal with that heal of hers. She may get a heal off, but enough damage will get her to stop. Or, as other people have suggested, go do some other stuff and come back. Just know that it is possible with the stats/weaponry you have (as I just did so tonight).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qlanth: Yah, right before you get to Amelia you make a left and theres a tunnel leading to a wooded area with a bunch of dogs and rifle guys. Beyond that is a lamp and a single section with one shortcut that terminates in a rather easy boss fight. They also infrequently drop Twin stones over there which is good. Do that and level up, then come back fresh. It's honestly better than banging your head against Amelia and you will need to be leveled up regardless before you head into the area that her boss fight unlocks.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Nardak

According to some people Vicar Amelia is about having enough dps to be able to stun the boss. Tried killing Amelia earlier after killing Bood starved beast but I just couldnt do enough damage to prevent the boss from healing herself.

Did some grinding and leveled up my strength and upgraded my weapons as far as I could. Also killed the witch first so I could use the runes. When I tried Amelia again I was able to take her down in my first new try and I only used about 5 health vials during that fight. But if you dont have enough dps it will be a pretty hard fight.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I tend to use the whip/cane on all the bosses, with Amelia it gave me just enough distance to get a few hits in and then roll out of the way before she did the swiping move with her paws. Eventually her legs start to drop and you can get a lot of heavy attacks in but the key is to dodge her attacks and try and hit her from behind. She is fast but I found the Blood-starved Beast to be a lot faster, and it's face was so sick I wanted to be no where near it, Amelia just looks like an evil reindeer on meth.

Loading Video...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Easiest way I've found is have a weapon with high damage output (I used the saw clever +3) and stay behind her. Just try not to attack unless the opening is clear, usually after her pounce you can get in some good shots. Also carry those potions you can through that disable her healing ability, I've seen people use them. If you haven't yet, I would recommend clearing the area to the left of the cathedral stairs so that you can get the item that let's you buff your weapons.

Avatar image for deactivated-63da6af5022c5
    deactivated-63da6af5022c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Suspend / resume seems to break the summoning, I have to restart the game every time I want to do co-op

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lisatiffany:

The blood-starved beast was very easy for me for some reason. I came there fresh off of Father Gascigne and finally got the pistol/parry combo down so I just combo'd the beast over and over until it died. Did it in one go.

I think maybe the consensus is that I'm just at this boss too early. Seems weird to me since everything in the immediate lead-up to her goes down so easily for me. I guess I'm going to try out Hemwick Channel and try to boost up my weapon. I have been putting more points into skill since I like the feel of the Threaded Cane over some other weapons. Maybe I'll try to level that up a bit and revisit her later.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just always get behind her and slash the heck out of her, you can hurt her and she starts to bleed and it does massive damage. Healing was never and issue for me. When she starts to heal, run behind her and NEVER STOP SLASHING. She will eventually regret standing in one spot and you will take her down.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Be careful with Hemwick Channel, it's easy to get swarmed at the start and the enemies in there can be pretty tough especially with so many sneak attacks. Also if you are having no luck summoning anyone just exit out of the game and load it again, it seems to always work for me, you still have a bit of a wait but 9 times out of 10 it's always worked for me. Just make sure to summon near the gate/portal and if you see any notes interact with them. The reason I say that is because when I'm having no luck with summoning and start to interact and rate notes it's like it gives the network a bit of a shove in the right direction and the bell finds another player. And of course setting your network to World will increase your chances.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@qlanth: She actually takes more damage to the head, I just tend to stick to bosses' ass in Souls games in general. You avoid most damage that way.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Teddie

As far as I've read, if she can't get away from you, she can't heal. The run I beat her on, I was right behind her after almost every attack so I could get a hit in, and she never tried healing. Also, you can spam molotovs for the last 15% of her health and stun-lock her, if you're doing particularly well on a run and don't want her doing any last-minute healing (it might be more than 15%, because I might have solo'd her with a co-op boosted health pool).

And yeah, the boss in Hemwick is incredibly easy compared to Amelia, so it's possible they intended for you to visit that area beforehand.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I wish I'd have fought her a little bit better than I did. I sorta stumbled my way through the fight because I was tired and not prepared for it. I now wish I'd have just let myself die because I ended up killing her first try. I never really got a good grasp on her attacks. I'm unlikely to play the game a second time, so I guess I'll have to make do with videos of people killing her properly.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vikingdeath1

I just kept on doing the charged R2 with the starting Axe after running right up into her face. She would then get stunned, and I would start charging again.

Rinse/ repeat. I don't know if I got hit once.

I was Very surprised that that worked. Maybe get close to her legs and she can't hit you very well?

Punched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually beat her on my first attempt knowing nothing about her. I didn't even know she could heal until I saw it on the forums. I just rolled behind her and used my Flamesprayer until it ran out and then whacked her with my cane a few times. I had upgraded my sprayer to +3 and probably have around 15 in arcane.

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Further upgrade your axe, get more fire paper and light that baby up and spin to win. The axe R2 is stupidly good, when she heals and if the axe is sufficiently upgraded (I had like +5) if you do two R2 attacks during her heal you should be able to stagger her, then that puts her into a weakened state and you just R2 again and do massive damage. You have the right idea, just upgrade your axe some more.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for her to pounce, dodge to her back hit her 2 times, dodge back.
    Rinse and repeat.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rafaelfc said:

Wait for her to pounce, dodge to her back hit her 2 times, dodge back.

Rinse and repeat.

This is the method I have been using and it works very well, I just don't think I do enough damage to stun her like folks are suggesting. Time to go farm up some twin shards

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@qlanth: Another user on the site was having issues with this boss. I gave him the following advice, and it sure seemed to work for us both. The trick is to not fight the boss carefully. You want to be as close to that fucker as you can. Hug her left leg, and keep swinging away. You're going to end up doing a ton of damage fast, and you can avoid most of it's attack since they're all frontal-cone based. That said, she's got a couple of attacks that swing backwards, and it's going to be difficult to see when she executes on them as there is a LOT of hair on her ass. I am 100 % serious with that statement. So you'll take some damage, but you can heal back up simply by striking her more often than not.

Anycase, keep close to her rump, keep whacking away. Her legs are her weak-point, so if you damage them some, she'll go into a prone pose that'll allow you to run over to the front and get a visceral attack in (the parry crit) on her face. I made it on the first try using this tactic after numerous attempts at the long haul. It's a big awkward at first, having fought this so carefully, but once you get used to it, you really begin to respect the speed of the game's combat system. By the way, this is the approach to fighting large enemies in this game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just used my Flamesprayer when she started to heal herself.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

skip it, do hemwick and level up. I saved this boss for after the two areas to the side of her and it was easy.

enragedstump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@getz: Is hemwick the to the left of Amelia's door? Past that forest area with all the riflemen, and after the crazy people?

Also, do you know what is to the right of her? Not going to spoil, but something weird killed me...

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By maginnovision

You can do it!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@getz: Is hemwick the to the left of Amelia's door? Past that forest area with all the riflemen, and after the crazy people?

Also, do you know what is to the right of her? Not going to spoil, but something weird killed me...

Yes, hemwick is to the left. To the right is a dead end at that point in the game, or at least I'm not sure how you progress.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Humanity

@qlanth: Being there early is the big issue with this boss I think. I also naturally progressed to her through the area and none of the mobs leading up to that fight gave me any problems making me think I was adequately leveled for the fight. Maybe you are intended to fail and come back, or maybe they just scaled her stats improperly. I'm thinking you are meant to get beat down and then herded towards the witches because if you were to beat her that early on and then follow the path she unlocks you would be completely unprepared for the enemies there.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I just got lucky with a first time go just slashing legs, dodging, and just being extremely aggressive. I think I only used 2-3 blood vials.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@qlanth: Being there early is the big issue with this boss I think. I also naturally progressed to her through the area and none of the mobs leading up to that fight gave me any problems making me think I was adequately leveled for the fight. Maybe you are intended to fail and come back, or maybe they just scaled her stats improperly. I'm thinking you are meant to get beat down and then herded towards the witches because if you were to beat her that early on and then follow the path she unlocks you would be completely unprepared for the enemies there.

I'm glad that my thread brought some needed awareness for the Amelia fight. If you want to see what it looks like to have Amelia heal 15 times during the fight because I couldn't stop her healing and my DPS was too low then look at this video. I haven't seen anything to counter my initial suspicion that my high insight is causing some funny stuff to happen (like her love of healing even at close range), but I'm fairly certain there was funny stuff. I do win at the end of the video though.

I killed her with the threaded cane. I've been told by people who saw my video that everything would have gone fine if I applied some fire to my whip. A friend used fire on their whip and stun locked her to death. Whip to the face is apparently very effective and was my only saving grace during the fight. If you have numbing mist throw that at her once she gets around 50%. Two should be enough to finish the fight without her healing.

Loading Video...

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I tried her so many times. Most of the time I was careful with dodging and waiting for attack opportunities. Then I put some points into Vitality, played like absolute shit, and won.

Maybe try not to lock on, roll forward when she swings and sometimes you'll go under her legs. You can really just tank this fight with enough HP though. Join me in the hollow victory club :(

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't mean to sound like an asshole but I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of people having trouble with this boss. I went in blind and finished her off on my first try. I used my saw cleaver that i've fortified a number of times. Be aggressive , dodge and heal frequently. Sometimes she goes into a down state and that's when you can land visceral on her. When she heals, uh....I don't know. attack her while she does it? She only got to heal once for me and it was no big deal

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't mean to sound like an asshole but I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of people having trouble with this boss. I went in blind and finished her off on my first try. I used my saw cleaver that i've fortified a number of times. Be aggressive , dodge and heal frequently. Sometimes she goes into a down state and that's when you can land visceral on her. When she heals, uh....I don't know. attack her while she does it? She only got to heal once for me and it was no big deal

The problem that people are having with the fight is Amelia's healing. If you don't have the proper DPS or a weapon that can stun lock her she will heal indefinitely. Nothing else you do in the fight matters because once she gets into her healing loop the fight will just go on and on.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The difficulty of this fight hinges on two things: how much dps are you doing and are you staying close to her. As far as I know, or have seen, she will not activate her healing prayer if you are close to her. Second, damage is a huge factor in this fight, she is kind of like a "gear check" type boss. Get that axe up to +6 and get pump more points into strength.

Also, keep in mind that summoning is proximity based. I assume you are trying to summon people outside the boss door, which is usually fine, but try ringing the Beckoning bell inside/near the Oedon Chapel lantern.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my understanding, each of her limbs has an individual life bar which you can deplete. If you do enough damage to her limbs, you will "break" them. She will then be unable to do her proper healing animation until she has healed her limbs, which I believe is the move in which she roars and casts a golden aura around her. So if you play aggressively enough and go after different limbs, she will be forced to treat the limbs and be unable to heal.

I had a hard time with the boss as well, but I suspect I was also underpowered.

qlanth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By qlanth

@golguin said:

@frostyryan said:

The problem that people are having with the fight is Amelia's healing. If you don't have the proper DPS or a weapon that can stun lock her she will heal indefinitely. Nothing else you do in the fight matters because once she gets into her healing loop the fight will just go on and on.

This is exactly what was happening to me. I was not doing enough DPS to stop her.

Just to round this out. I followed everyone's advice and went through Hemwick Channel Lane. I knocked out the witches very easily, upgraded my weapon to +6 (was previously +3), turned on my runes, and beat Vicar Amelia on my very next attempt.

I had the right strategy, I was doing everything correctly, I just could not out-damage her healing abilities. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qlanth: good to hear. This is going to be one of those bosses where if you are just flying through the game you are going to find yourself underleveled or under geared for the healing portion. Without numbing mist or a stun locking weapon the only path is to level up.

outerabiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rangebait her pounce and pray attacks. Jump in do a bit of dmg, roll back out throw a numbing mist if she heals.

she telegraphs her moves nicely and she isn't very fast.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat her a few hours ago. Took me a good five or six tries. Eventually I just lit my sword on fire, dodged her attacks to the side and then dashed in and started attacking. Every time she began to heal I just did enough damage to stun her out of it. Kind of lucky I guess. Some good advice in this thread though.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could try heading left of the Cathedral into Hemwick Lane. It'll net you a few more levels and a few things that'll help you beat Amelia.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's your endurance at right now? How many swings can you get in before you get too tired? I haven't finished my first playthrough yet (although I think I'm near the end) but I found endurance critical to winning most of my fights. There's a "shocking" optional boss fight in the mid-late game that is rendered absolutely trivial by just getting in close and spamming r1. Also plenty of bosses like to back away from you, teleport away, or run away and create distance so they can hit you with more powerful long range attacks. Endurance is a high-return investment if you play like me and like to get up close and personal. Saw Cleaver + 10 FTW baby

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

short answer when she is healing shoot the fuck out of her. or get close with a really fast weapon like the cane to break the healing. fire is also effective. to stop her from healing completely there is an item cant remember what its called but its a white round flash you can throw that prevents healing

what i did was basically was make sure i had 20 bullets (25 if you press up and sacrifice a little health but you can heal that back up) 20 healing vials. 10 urns with oil (taking more fire damage) and 10 molotovs.

and the two-handed axe. used the charge attack and dodge until she get really low and then just throw oil and molotovs when she starts to heal shoot until she stops. also

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just dodge circle all the bosses when they attack, then counter. None of the bosses took me more then 2-3x. Just did the last one 2nd try. Think I missed a couple bosses though :-/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.