Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodborne

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 24, 2015

An action role playing game by FromSoftware, marking the studio's debut on the PlayStation 4. It shares creative roots, as well as gameplay elements, with the Souls series.

Will reviewers fail Bloodborne?

• 121 results
    Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The one thing I've gleaned from this thread is that Jesus is pretty overrated.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@golguin said:

With Edge magazine already giving their impressions on what they've played of the game so far I'm curious to see if reviewers will have the knowledge and ability to explore the game mechanics. I still remember the misinformation that went around with DS2 once reviews hit (the Adaptability stat comes to mind) and how it took extensive community testing to figure out what was really going on with the game.

Well if the game doesn't explain it's mechanics especially well I that it leaves players confused at the start then I think it's a fair criticism.

I didn't play Dark Souls 2 so I'm not sure if they stepped up the advice since the original but maybe with this new IP they'll take the opportunity to better inform players and avoid that misinformation?

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

*sigh* No, reviewers will not "fail" Bloodborne. They will give their opinion of it, and then you can choose to listen to it or not.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@golguin said:
    @chrissedoff said:

So we have already decided that Bloodborne is a great game and are preparing to do damage control just in case the first people to actually play it don't give it the recognition it deserves? Alright then.

If I see an 8.8 I'm going to fucking lose it you guys!!!! Who's with me?

What damage control? I'm asking if reviewers will be able to understand and explain Bloodborne's game mechanics when they showed they were not capable of doing so with DS2. You can also throw in the fact that the online components of the game can't be properly explored until a good chunk of the player base has the game in their hands.

This isn't actually true though. If you are naming the adaptability stat as an example, I'll have to tell you that every game that is being reviewed has similar misinformation. Reviewers hardly ever are hardcore fans of a game to begin with, not to mention they are people with their own biases. I could point out misinformation like that in nearly any review of any game I play a lot. Additionally, the misinformation given about the adaptability stat doesn't matter for the greater picture anyway. Nobody is going to change their mind about how much fun the game is to play, or whether or not they are going to buy it, based on that info being accurate or not.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By bybeach

So we have already decided that Bloodborne is a great game and are preparing to do damage control just in case the first people to actually play it don't give it the recognition it deserves? Alright then.

If I see an 8.8 I'm going to fucking lose it you guys!!!! Who's with me?

Damn right. This is a job for Jeff!

You know, it sounds like people are really putting these games on a pedestal. They are good, and I enjoyed stumbling my way through Demon's, and Dark Souls 1 and 2. I am glad they exist. But they do not replace sex. They got things right, and threw in a challenge.The fact they come with the structure of an action RPG is excellent, but it's not a new idea.

I really like the Souls games. But if Bloodborne misses, and the Reviewer faces another Zelda 8.8 Collapse of Civilization, well then I am going to really enjoy the comments.

And just to mention, I am bummed that for the time being, I probably won't get to play Bloodborne.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People already streaming it on Twitch. I watched the whole game. 2/5 stars!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, can't take the thread seriously over the pretentiousness of the title.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By ripelivejam

@bybeach: this was a way more rational way of putting exactly how i feel about these games and their cult of personality. Thanks.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Review embargo drops Monday just to let everyone know. Dat confidence!

Dat standard review embargo timeframe!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snakeitachi said:

Hahaha i think he was being sarcastic. Sadly nowadays reviews come late. AC Unity fucked me over

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inresurrection said:

@snakeitachi said:

Hahaha i think he was being sarcastic. Sadly nowadays reviews come late. AC Unity fucked me over

Yeah, I do miss the days where reviews were more commonly dropped a week early. In this case I'm sort of thankful, though - the media blitz and countless Bloodborne video reviews leading up to release would tempt me way too much.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#112  Edited By Humanity

@inresurrection said:

@snakeitachi said:

You kinda fucked yourself over with Unity, could waited that one extra day.

I'm curious to see the reviews, and I mean the actual reviews not the scores. This is one of those rare games where I honestly know almost nothing about how it plays which is pretty exciting for a change. It could also be potentially super disappointing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The reviewer's job is to accurately describe their experience with a game. Not sell it.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I'm curious to see the reviews, and I mean the actual reviews not the scores. This is one of those rare games where I honestly know almost nothing about how it plays which is pretty exciting for a change. It could also be potentially super disappointing.

Could be, yes, but that's the case with every single release. Knowing Miyazaki's track record and knowing how many times I've drooled over Bloodborne footage, I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy Bloodborne a whole lot. I can usually keep my hype in check when it comes to getting overexcited but waiting for March 24th is making me feel like a little kid again.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Could be, yes, but that's the case with every single release. Knowing Miyazaki's track record and knowing how many times I've drooled over Bloodborne footage, I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy Bloodborne a whole lot. I can usually keep my hype in check when it comes to getting overexcited but waiting for March 24th is making me feel like a little kid again.

@humanity Dumb thing to say since IGN was the earliest review and that was a day later at noon, and had ZERO mention of any technical issues. Who could have predicted the mess that game was? Yes Bloodborne is bringing me back to Elementary where all I thought about was that one game, and the last week before it's release it felt like an eternity, but once it came out it was glorious. Bloodborne is gonna be special.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@asilentprotagonist: coulda waited man, that embargo wasn't like a week after release or something crazy like that. Either way, not to derail or anything, but considering other problematic games like Battlefield 4 or Master Chief Collection, Unity wasn't that messed up.

@inresurrection: Man I hope so. Owning a PS4 so far has not be terribly exciting at all. The only two games I really liked so far on the system were InFamous and Dragon Age, and both of those really solid games but not like amazing experiences in any way. I just want to finally feel like YES, YES! this is the game I've been waiting for!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Review copies have been out since at least last Tuesday, journalists themselves have made it clear a lot of reviews won't be ready for for embargo release in a few hours. What is the cause of this?

..too short of a review period, which is fine for a western developed games that take 30-40 hours to 100% and get all trophies/achievements in, when BB needs 30-40 hours to reach and kill the final boss?

..did online elements go up late and only for reviewers causing a delay, when none of the streamers have access to them?

..reviewers overwhelmed and surprised by a game with so much content yet no filler like the 30-40 hours to 100% western developed games happily pack in?

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It hardly sounds weird to me. Most likely it is because of length, maybe the online was a factor like you said.

If anything - be pleased that people are taking their time to review it, and not making snap judgements. :)

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Reviewers can't fail a product, they fail their readers.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Review copies have been out since at least last Tuesday, journalists themselves have made it clear a lot of reviews won't be ready for for embargo release in a few hours. What is the cause of this?

Maybe that 2.69GB day one patch that "allows for online play, fixes a number of bugs, improves performance and adds the Chalice Dungeons feature."(from eurogamer)

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Zefpunk

@nodima said:

Critics can't fail any product, they can only give their perspective on the products they critique.

EXACTLY. How do people not understand this STILL?! "Fail Blodborne" -Ha ha ha ha.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honkalot said:

It hardly sounds weird to me. Most likely it is because of length, maybe the online was a factor like you said.

If anything - be pleased that people are taking their time to review it, and not making snap judgements. :)

Which is absolutely great. I found a couple of reviewers checking around the internet and it's feels like there's not enough time for a review. Kevin VanOrd burned 65 hours over a week with Bloodborne for the sake of the review, 13 hours a weekday which is insane. That kinda takes over once personal private time and life. A week was definitely not enough for this.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread title still makes me chuckle

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.