Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 18, 2019

A spiritual successor to Koji Igarashi's games in the Castlevania franchise, led by Igarashi himself and funded through Kickstarter. Control the mysterious "Shardbinder" known as Miriam in a demon-infested 18th century England.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night to Release June 18 for PC, PS4, XBO & June 25 for Switch

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

There's a new release date announcement trailer which showcases some of the changes before the final release

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Wow, okay, I'd say he proved them wrong! Game's got styyyyyyle now.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay this is pretty funny it still kinda looks like poop but a polished one this time :S.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Wow, seems kind of rare for a developer to just own the criticism like that especially in a trailer. Glad to see it is looking much improved.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Efesell  Online

I mean I love the showmanship but it kinda does just seem like it was just a case of yeah a lot of the footage was just in development shit they weren't done with and now they have this.

But it makes for a great video to turn it around into 'We've heard your concerns.."

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a step up from Mighty No. 9.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm not sure how I feel about highlighting shitty forum posts. It looks better but the blood fountain at 1:16 looks bad in both versions. I wonder if this is what Wayforward has been adding to the project. The new Ori and Hollow Knight still look much nicer though.

Hopefully it'll be good. I know some people are burnt out on Metroidvanias but I cant get enough of them personally.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Besides the obvious improvements, I love Igarashi's showmanship...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I think this game looks pretty awesome and I've been anticipating it for a long time now.

...that said, the game's look has always been kind of a sticking point for me and it still is a bit. It looks like a PSP game. Far too late to change it now and I'd like to see it released sooner rather than delaying it for another year, but the whole "3D rendering but in 2D" doesn't look great to me. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but some part of me will always want the hand-drawn, sprite-filled Symphony of the Night-esque aesthetic that this game doesn't have.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sahalarious

.....this still has a terrible look

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone picked this up? Steam people are giving it positive reviews so far, but I wouldn't exactly call those reliable. Wondering what first impressions are.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt know this was a £35 game, that changes my opinion somewhat. I feel there have been a lot of great metroidvanias this year alone for less than half that price and there are more on the horizon.

I get that Igarashi has some clout but I would say that there have been better games than SOTN in that vein and the games he directed since werent even as good as that. I hope it's good, obviously, but I feel like they're really milking the nostalgia for all it's worth with this one.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SethMode

@justin258 said:

I think this game looks pretty awesome and I've been anticipating it for a long time now.

...that said, the game's look has always been kind of a sticking point for me and it still is a bit. It looks like a PSP game. Far too late to change it now and I'd like to see it released sooner rather than delaying it for another year, but the whole "3D rendering but in 2D" doesn't look great to me. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but some part of me will always want the hand-drawn, sprite-filled Symphony of the Night-esque aesthetic that this game doesn't have.

@hnannahxx said:

I think this recreation appears pretty awesome and I've been looking ahead to it for a long time now.

...That stated, the sport's appearance has constantly been form of a sticking point for me and it still is a piece. It looks as if a PSP recreation. Far too past due to trade it now and I'd want to see it launched faster rather than delaying it for any other yr, however the entire "3D rendering however in 2D" does not appearance incredible to me. It appears appropriate, don't get me wrong, but a few a part of me will usually need the hand-drawn, sprite-filled Symphony of the Night-esque aesthetic that this game doesn't have.

Okay, is this some weird and new, presumably bot, shit?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Casepb

@sethmode: Whoa that is strange. All I know is I have no idea what that post is even talking about. Especially on the parts about "the sport's appearance" and "delaying it for another year". The game came out today lol.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: Yeah, it was like it took his post and made it nonsensical? "The sport's appearance" was maybe my favorite part haha. It doesn't help that the original post was a month and a half ago.

I looked at his only other post and it's the same thing, just a bizarre, kind-of copy of a previous post in an iPhone bug report thread.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Yeah, looks like this bot is copying the text, converting it in another language then converting back to english. Looks like another "will make X number of posts" then spam like a MF once it gets past posting limitations.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soulcake

After playing this for a few hours i would recommend this had a lot of fun. Coming back of my first post the art style while it's not my thing it fits the game well.

Gazoinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad this is supposed to be good. I love a good Metroidvania, so I'll definitely grab this at some point when I'm in need of a new game. 40 is a lot when stuff like Hollow Knight and Axiom Verge are much cheaper, but if it's worth it it's worth it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Efesell  Online

This game is real solid but primarily because it is also just Aria of Sorrow.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

I didnt know this was a £35 game, that changes my opinion somewhat. I feel there have been a lot of great metroidvanias this year alone for less than half that price and there are more on the horizon.

I get that Igarashi has some clout but I would say that there have been better games than SOTN in that vein and the games he directed since werent even as good as that. I hope it's good, obviously, but I feel like they're really milking the nostalgia for all it's worth with this one.

I re-bought Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for $90 on ebay.

Just let that sink in for a bit.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

I re-bought Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia for $90 on ebay.

Just let that sink in for a bit.

Jesus, I just had a look at how much those GBA/DS CV games were going for. Aria of Sorrow is surprisingly expensive.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SethMode

I'm liking this overall, but there are little things all over that keep me from loving it. The cutscenes and overall production value is weird. I like the artstyle, but everything else feels kind of cheap in this half-step direction, where I feel like they would have honestly benefited from just keeping it simpler. It just looks like they spent probably a fair amount of money on them, but not enough to make them look GREAT, so they just kind of look weirdly bad, if that makes sense?

And the controls just feel...just the teensiest bit off compared to other Igarashi games I've played recently (most recently SOTN). I don't know if it's the animation or what, but something just doesn't feel quite right.

Still though, it is a very solid game that I'm enjoying, I just really wanted to love it and unfortunately, after 5 hours or so, I'm not quite there yet.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yo, hard mode is actually brutal. I used the unlock code for it cause normal wasn't quite where I wanted it to be difficulty-wise after playing the first couple hours, and now I am getting my ass kicked. Really feels like Order of Ecclesia now, I love it.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I'm liking this overall, but there are little things all over that keep me from loving it. The cutscenes and overall production value is weird. I like the artstyle, but everything else feels kind of cheap in this half-step direction, where I feel like they would have honestly benefited from just keeping it simpler. It just looks like they spent probably a fair amount of money on them, but not enough to make them look GREAT, so they just kind of look weirdly bad, if that makes sense?

And the controls just feel...just the teensiest bit off compared to other Igarashi games I've played recently (most recently SOTN). I don't know if it's the animation or what, but something just doesn't feel quite right.

Still though, it is a very solid game that I'm enjoying, I just really wanted to love it and unfortunately, after 5 hours or so, I'm not quite there yet.

I agree 100%. I'm not really digging the whole "It's 2D but actually 3D!" thing. Like you say, a lot of the art design is actually quite gorgeous, but the way the characters move in this kind of slide-y way makes everything feel sort of . . . cheap, maybe is the word I'm looking for?

Weirdly, it reminded of the Bionic Commando Remastered game that came out about 6-7 years ago now (Actually, I looked it up and it's 10 years ago. Jesus, I'm getting old). It had that same kind of too-smooth animation, but it was OK because it was just a little XBLA game. I feel like this would have been better served by just making really, really good looking 2D art.

Whatever, it's totally not a deal breaker because I'm enjoying the hell out of the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Efesell  Online

The only issue I have with the presentation is that they really should have just had portraits or something for the dialogue because those models don't blow up to that size gracefully at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.