Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blue Dragon

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Aug 28, 2007

An epic RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi that follows the journey of three friends - Shu, Kluke and Jiro - as they use newfound magical powers to challenge the evil, tyrannical wizard Nene.

Now Blue Dragon is backwards compatible is it worth a go?

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

It's been confirmed by a variety of places that Blue Dragon is playable on the Xbox One.

It is only the disc version so it's pretty cheap from eBay. Worth mine or anyone else's time?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I played a couple of hours of it back in the day, and from what I remember it was a grindfest with crappy characters and a boring story. Definitely the weakest of Mistwalker's Xbox 360 output.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Maybe? It's been so long since I played it that I barely remember anything about it.

All I really remember is that I was not enjoying it for awhile, but I kept chugging along. Then, at some point I started to really like it. I don't remember if I just started getting better at the game or what exactly.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've always been interested in playing Blue Dragon. I love JRPGs, I had an Xbox 360 for pretty much the entire lifetime of it, and Blue Dragon was one of the few big name JRPGs I could find for the xbox (Dang PS3 having all the good Japanese stuff) But I never picked it up.

If it is backwards compatible on XB1 now i'll check my local used game store to see if they have a copy and try it out. I've heard both good and bad things about the game, but I know virtually nothing about the game's premise.

(Sorry for not answering your question OP)

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's worth your time to play Blue Dragon if you don't mind a weak story and prefer a strong battle system. If instead you are looking for a strong story, you won't find it in Blue Dragon. One review I saw over at RPGfan.com, by Kyle Miller, said, "Overall, Blue Dragon offers an above average, traditional RPG, though only the superb gameplay puts it over the mark of the uninspired and average."

I know I have tried 2 different times to get into it, but so far I haven't had much luck, even though I prefer a strong battle system. This was Mistwalker's first RPG, and while I really liked Lost Odyssey, it took me 2 times to really like Lost Odyssey. So it will just take me more times to get into Blue Dragon. But that's me.

If you don't mind spending the cash to get a copy, I think you should play it and try out the battle system. The fighting is turn-based, so if you like traditional RPG fun, you'll probably like it. Here on Giant Bomb 9 users gave it 4 stars.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's a really mediocre JRPG with a weak story, boring characters but a strong battle system. I really don't see why people were waiting for this one to be BC.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

It's a pretty traditional, no-frills JRPG in the vein of Dragon Quest, so if you enjoy those games, it might be worth checking out (though Dragon Quest does it better). My least favorite thing about this game is that items can be hidden literally anywhere in the environment, so if you're a bit obsessive like me, you're gonna spend a lot of time running along walls and tapping the A button.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
    CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It does happen to have my favorite boss battle music of all time! The first time I heard it was led to such an odd range of emotions that I kept looking forward to with each boss battle.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I remember really liking it when I played it back when it was first released. The art style and music were a pretty big draw for me though.

tnecniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this recently, and I thought it was quite poor. It really is a grind fest. I would cruise through areas with no trouble on the regular encounters only to get to a boss and realize I was seriously under leveled. As a result I would have to sit around grinding out dozens of otherwise bland encounters to proceed. This was quite difficult during the one section where you are on a timer and can't leave the area otherwise. Additionally, when you get to the last act of the game, they send you on a fetch quest reminiscent of Wind Waker that really put me off.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I liked it! I just recently picked it up not too long ago for the 360 and am about 3/4th of the way through it. It's a fun little RPG. (Note: This is my second playthrough)

I'd say the best part about it is the character/art design. Really liked it all, a lot. Then again, as many have pointed out, I rarely don't like a game, so take that as it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.