Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blur

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 25, 2010

Bizarre Creations' Blur mixes the driving of the Project Gotham Racing series with explosive weaponry and allows players to race up to 20 online opponents.

Buggy?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By YoungFrey

I've heard some reports that the multiplayer is really problematic ( Tycho took serious issue with it(starts at paragraph 3 )), but I've played for hours and seen very few issues.  I saw 1 hardlock and I've been kicked twice which probably has nothing to do with the game.

I've had a few minor issues with stat tracking.  Like I see the number of forward mine hotshots isn't incrementing, and I had to barge a car into water at least twice to get the achievement (I know it's twice because I opened up Drayke well before I got the achievement).

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Supermarius

Yeah, Tycho is just being a bitch. It sucks because i used to really respect his opinions but its hard to anymore.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Supermarius said:

" Yeah, Tycho is just being a bitch. It sucks because i used to really respect his opinions but its hard to anymore. "

I wouldn't mind as much if he gave more details, but he seem to substitute poetry for facts.  Reading the posts, it's as through there is another blog I don't have access to where he posts the real details there and then comments on those on the official PA page. 
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Supermarius

You have to remember that he feels he has only a limited amount of time to play games in the day and that time is very precious so if a game wastes his time by having online issues then its like it has wronged him. He/they did this with WoW as well, where they initially called it game of the year during the beta, then called out blizzard saying it was broken after launch and retracted their recommendation. But now they still play Wow, or at least t hey did when they were last making podcasts a year ago.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By sarahsdad

There's probably a bunch of different ways to say this, but I think mercurial is the way I'd describe his writing about enjoying or not enjoying a game. It seems like he will often go through two or three cycles with any game. I pretty much fully expect that in a month or so there will be another couple of lines dedicated to Blur, especially if they've done some update. Regardless of what the update's for, he'll probably give it another go, and write about the experience again. 
    Having said that, and knowing he flip-flops on games, I still like reading his posts.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By YoungFrey

It's a shame the game doesn't have a poignant message about fatherhood. <grin>  

Seriously though, I'm not really looking to bash Tycho.  Just because other people call him influential and read his musings doesn't give him any obligation.  He's made it very clear in the past that he plays games for largely different reasons that most people (as does Gabe), and that reviewers are largely pointless.  

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By sarahsdad
    @YoungFrey: LOL. Very true. I like reading his stuff for some of the same reasons I listen to the bombcast, watch the quicklooks, etc. I like reviews, but there's always a sens of being disconnected from what the reviewer feels, and those other forms of discussion fill in that gap. 

Anyhow, maybe a bit more back on topic, other than the lockup and the couple of boots you mentioned, has the racing been pretty good online?
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By YoungFrey

Yes, but I lose like an electrified-losing machine.  If I'm in the top half of the group I feel like I did great.  Once I left the beginners bracket, I think I've been in the top 3 once (and that was some seriously white-knuckling).  And I've probably been in 50 races. It is super chaotic at the start of every race and every time more than 3 cars are nearby.  I'm not really a race game person.  Nothing against them, but I'm not a car guy and the common machanic of "race for 15 minutes and lose by 0.1 seconds and get nothing" is a recipe for aggravation.  But I tried the Blur demo and liked it enough to give it a shot.  I don't regret it.   You still progress even if you lose.  And fighting to not be dead last can still be really fierce. 

I like the single player enough, but from what I've heard if you don't plan any multi, Split/Second is a better bet. 

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

The only bug I hate is the PS3 version's ability to lock up the game on multiplayer after 2 races, Bizarre Creations are being strangely quiet, according to the Blur Forums, a guy called PETER is apparently addressing the problem :/. 

I really want to get back into it but those lock-ups are making my experience with this game terrible.

BASGTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BASGTA

Heh, that kind of funny.  I just read that Penny Arcade article about how the game crashed three times in one hour, I was actually just playing the game but it pissed me off so much because it crashed three times in about 30 minutes.  Just random crashes, sometimes during a race, or during a loading screen.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.