Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Borderlands 2 Level Cap?

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PatODay

I've been looking at different articles and forums about Borderlands 2 and haven't been able to find any info about what the possible level cap could be in the game. My assumption is that it will likely be 75 or so with a possible DLC boost to 100, but that's just my opinion. I'm interested in hearing what some other people think, or know, if I've missed a discussion on this very subject somewhere.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Well, the cap in Borderlands 1 was 50, then they upped it by 11 in the Knoxx DLC, and then they upped it by another 8 in a patch, so it was up to 69.

75 seems high.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Tennmuerti
    PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PatODay

@MooseyMcMan:

My thinking was they would start it high like that so they wouldn't have to raise the cap with DLC or patches thus tempting people into playing more to hit the level cap, plus if the game is indeed 60 hours or so for one playthrough I don't think that's an unreasonable level. I continued playing long after I hit the level cap, Borderlands is one of the games where I wouldn't look at it as grinding to reach the cap.

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Slither_Maggot

@PatODay said:

@MooseyMcMan:

My thinking was they would start it high like that so they wouldn't have to raise the cap with DLC or patches thus tempting people into playing more to hit the level cap, plus if the game is indeed 60 hours or so for one playthrough I don't think that's an unreasonable level. I continued playing long after I hit the level cap, Borderlands is one of the games where I wouldn't look at it as grinding to reach the cap.

For sure. I don't think Borderlands left my 360 for 6 months. I played through with each character, capped, replayed, rebuilt, reequipped, and just had fun with it. I wouldn't say I was grinding to cap each character but sometimes it was fun to attempt it even if that wasn't the drive of building up a new character to play a little differently.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MrOldboy

Its not about a level cap, but how long it takes to reach those levels and what you get in return.

If the level cap was 75, then thats potentially 75 skill points. Imagine how large the skill tree would have to be to keep the illusion of player development there. You could dip your toes into every skill a bunch and never have any choices to make. They could not give a skill point for each level, but then it would make those in between levels need something. Either that or they would feel even more useless.

With what the skill trees look like from videos I've seen they're not really that much larger, if they are at all, than the first game. So 50 seems like a good choice based off of that. I'm sure they'll raise it with DLC to get people to buy them. They've said that the DLC system for 2 should be much more flexible and I would be too surprised if they already have a switch in place to increase the level cap. Maybe even add some new skills with new DLC. The new character DLC makes me feel that they might be willing to release a DLC story pack that has a new character as the hook or new skills for each class.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

Another thing to take into consideration is that they've said its about 40-50 hours or more depending on how you play just to finish the first playthrough, and the first playthrough only takes you to level 30-32 according to the recent PAX videos. It looks like we'll get plenty of playtime trying to reach 50, so going higher than that isn't really necessary until they raise it with dlc. Plus, there is badass ranks to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.