Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Borderlands 2 will feature infinite levels of progression

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Welcome to the Badass ranking system.

It's touched upon in this video:

But it's explained in far greater detail here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-13-borderlands-2-badass-system-has-infinite-levels-of-progression

Gearbox Software has unveiled Borderlands 2's Badass system, its character-wide progression system with an infinite number of levels.
    As you play Borderlands 2 you level up your Badass rank, which is linked to your profile but provides statistical bonuses to all your characters - new and old.
    Each time you use a token gained through Badass, the game randomly picks a set of statistics. Then, you decide which statistic to increase. It's all powered by a secret algorithm the developer is keeping close to its chest, Gearbox chief Randy Picthford, who expects to see long-term players with Badass levels in the thousands, told Eurogamer he believes the system is the first of its kind.
    "I don't know of any examples," he said. "There are a couple of games that have done profile levelling. Even Call of Duty multiplayer, your growth is profile related, not character related, but they don't have character choices. You're not growing characters.
    "And I haven't seen one that's comfortable with infini-growth. Everything puts a cap onto it."
    Using data based on how Borderlands 1 players played the game some two-and-a-half years after launch, Gearbox is able to extrapolate how players will play the sequel two-and-a-half years after it launches, and use mathematical models to predict how the Badass system will evolve.
    It's all part of Gearbox's effort to create a hobby with Borderlands 2, something players continue to play for years.
    "Borderlands was a weird thing in the sense that, a lot of games are designed to be a story you consume and then you're done," Pitchford said. "Whereas Borderlands was this thing that launched and then both in sales and in playtime it kept accelerating, instead of just launching big and then dropping off."
    Borderlands 2's expected enduring popularity should enable Gearbox to make a "really big investment" in downloadable content, much in the same way it did with Borderlands 1.
    There's also the issue of value, Pitchford added. He hopes that by creating a game that, technically, will last players forever, they will feel they're getting value for money.
    "They got to take a risk. They've got to spend some money. They've got to buy a game. And I want them to feel like, man, the value I'm getting out of this, it's not only worth the $60 or whatever, I'm getting more value out of this than the last $500 I spent on other video games. We want that goodwill.
    "So we're thinking about it like a hobby and not like just a consumable, get it done and get ready to buy your next game."
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By ajamafalous

Interesting. I'm excited to see this in GW2 and now Borderlands 2. It's exactly the type of system that I felt was missing from Diablo III.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By joshthebear

Everything I see about this game has me extremely excited. Easily my most anticipated game of the year.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This sounds interesting, how do they balance that sort of a system? Are we going to be seeing players with insane stats? Why would they keep playing past that point if they already have insane stats?

Dammit I want this game!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

So, why isn't it September yet?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's way too late for me to read all that but does it mean I can get every single upgrade?

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigdaddy81

I really hope my two week vacation gets approved in September. This might be the last game I need to buy this year.

Hopefully they go a little more in depth on these Badass points since I'm still not fully understanding their implementation.

EDIT: Never mind, the video actually explained things a little bit better. So looking forward to seeing how high I can get my Badass ranking. Also loved that single-action revolver.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Everything I hear about this game might make this my new favorite game.  

Also they are making this game EVERYTHING a sequel should be.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ares42

I like the idea of a profile based levelling, giving you even more incentive to start over again with new characters, but it sounds like something that will eventually just break the game for you. If you're able to get infinite stat boosts, at a certain point you'll just become completely invincible and kill everything instantly. Ofc the bonuses might so minor that it would "never" happen, but then the whole thing sorta loses it's value. I guess with the stats they have about how much people have played the first one they might be able to tweak it so that even if someone plays the second just as much as they played the first it won't break the game, and hopefully it'll still be significant enough to care about for everyone else.

It just sorta reminds me about the weapon skill system in the first one. It was there, it gave you some bonuses, but only the crazy people cared enough to grind it out.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Cincaid

Borderlands 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown are probably the only two games I'm going [I can afford] to buy this year. I'll rob an old lady if I have to, damnit!

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@Vinny_Says said:

It's way too late for me to read all that but does it mean I can get every single upgrade?

Its not related to the skill trees but rather general stats. The example given was being able to increase damage.

I'm guessing its something extremely small like 0.1% of an increase, but since you can have infinite points in theory, it kinda evens out sorta

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Talis12

@BeachThunder said:

So, why isn't it September yet?

time.. it keeps screwing with our brains

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By probablytuna

Sounds very neat, this is one of the things that will greatly benefit people who want to try out all the classes but can't be bothered playing a new class with shit all stats/gear. I wonder why other games haven't done this? At least none that I know of.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake

INFINITE DRAGONS!!!

I really hope this turns out well since the first one was conceptually interesting but missed it's mark by quite a distance (for me at least.) That plus it's been a long ass time since I've actually played an FPS.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Morrow

Sounds great. If they put so much effort into it, why no third person view option? :[

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

So it's basically like if your weapon proficiencies could carry over - neato.

@Morrow said:

Sounds great. If they put so much effort into it, why no third person view option? :[

I s'pose I wouldn't mind this sort of alternative as well, especially what with the increased cosmetic options now. It'd be like the Fallout/Elder Scrolls stuff in that it probably doesn't work when you play in third person, but I still want to see my character all decked out just for a few minutes. I can deal without the option, though.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hbkdx12

That's so awesome.

Borderlands was such a surprise hit for me. I bought it because a friend coaxed me into doing it so we could play together and i ended up loving it way more than they did.

I love that he's genuinely excited about the new features and such.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zaglis

I dunno.

Gearbox (Randy Pitchford, mostly) loves to over hype things

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinite leveling, eh? I wasn't the biggest fan of the first Borderlands, but this seems like it is pretty much doing it right.

INFINITE Leveling!
    INFINITE Leveling!
    BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BoFooQ

I'm alittle confused. Is there 2 leveling systems or just the badass profile level? The way I think it works is you level up each character to a certain point, than you get your badass levels once you have maxed out a guy. These badass points than carry with you to any character you play with.

I like the idea, at the same time I'm not sure I understand clearly how things work.

XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XtremePudim

i didnt like Borderlands 1 at all, but after Alex's preview and this i find myself willing to give Borderlands 2 a try, hopefully it will live up to the hype

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187

This just secured the fact that I will be splitting my time between Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 for the rest of eternity.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@BoFooQ said:

I'm alittle confused. Is there 2 leveling systems or just the badass profile level? The way I think it works is you level up each character to a certain point, than you get your badass levels once you have maxed out a guy. These badass points than carry with you to any character you play with.

I like the idea, at the same time I'm not sure I understand clearly how things work.

There are at least two--possibly three--leveling systems.

1) Standard leveling, allowing you to pick skills with each level. I believe there are 50 levels, much like the original launch of the first Borderlands.

2) Badass leveling, allowing you to level up every character under your profile. You gain Badass tokens for accomplishing certain goals that are unrelated to the story. An example might be kill 25 enemies at nighttime, or kill 15 enemies with grenades. When you spend a token, the game selects some stats from the master list of possible upgrades, and then you get to select from that smaller pool of possible upgrades.

For a picture of the Badass stats screen, click here.

I assume the game will increase the goal requirements as they're accomplished, giving you new versions of those objectives. Kill 25 skags, kill 75 skags, kill 125 skags, etc. Even if these were eventually limited--such as only 4 or 5 levels of each goal--you'd just have to start a new character to continue earning the rewards.

Lastly, for those who do not like the idea of the game becoming easier as you play it with somewhat "pre-leveled" characters, you'll be happy to know that you can toggle the upgrades on / off for your profile, depending whether you're looking for a challenge or not.

3) Weapon category leveling, which was in the first Borderlands. Either it has been replaced by the Badass system, or it will be in the game alongside both the Badass system and your standard leveling. Anyone happen to know if weapon leveling will definitely appear in the new game? I don't think I've heard either way.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Tennmuerti

@zaglis said:

I dunno. Gearbox (Randy Pitchford, mostly) loves to over hype things

I don't remember the guy ever outright lying about features in his upcoming games, unlike say Peter M. or Todd Howard

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Trilogy

I loved Borderlands one and this sounds fucking amazing. I had this moment watching the video when he was talking about the ninja class with the sword lunge where I thought to myself, "It would be cool if you could reset the cooldown of that off a kill." Then, as soon as he was about to explain that very thing I finished his sentence together with him and smiled. It sounds silly but it's very rare that a game's mechanics live up to their potential. I know its just one thing but it made me happy. Also, the infinite leveling sounds pretty awesome. One of my issues with the first game was that there wasn't a lot of end game after you got one class up to the max level. There was the DLC but those were kind of hit and miss in terms of quality. Anyway, I can't wait. This is a day one purchase from me for sure.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#26  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Holy shit, that's awesome. I just created a new lake filled with drool. You're welcome, thirsty desert people.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By clstirens
    "So we're thinking about it like a hobby and not like just a consumable, get it done and get ready to buy your next game."

Glad to hear this.

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bleeble

Can't wait for this game to come out! Easily my most anticipated game of 2012.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigdaddy81

@jakob187 said:

This just secured the fact that I will be splitting my time between Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 for the rest of eternity.

Motherfuck, I forgot Guild Wars 2 came out a month earlier than Borderlands 2!

Alright, guess I'll just have to max out every class and consume all of the content of Guild Wars 2 in a month's time. A plan this perfect can't possibly fail.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By minotaka

woot :)))

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Shindiggah

The more I read about this game the more I want to give them my money.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

How many levels is that?

BigDaddyDre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BigDaddyDre

I can't freaking wait until September. I found the level cap sort of annoying last time, as I could've probably kept going. Damn Crawmarax!!!

This game is going to be sweeeeeet!!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By Sooperspy

I am so ready for this. I just don't know what class I'll play. I started as a Soldier in the first and that was an easy choice for me, but all of the classes sound awesome in this one. I may just pick the Gunzerker just to throw up the dual birds.

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BrainSonata

Randy Pitchford is looking more and more like Roman Bellic.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Tylea002

POWER.

UP.

FOREVER.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Tennmuerti

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

How many levels is that?

ALL the levels.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sanity

Come at me bro might be the best name for a skill ever.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By musubi

Borderlands got stale quick. Are people really going to play the same content over and over?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By YI_Orange

@Demoskinos said:

Borderlands got stale quick. Are people really going to play the same content over and over?

Yep, and we're gonna have fun doing it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I have both this and Dishonored in pre-release in my Steam library, just taunting me. It's making for an excruciating wait.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Demoskinos said:

This might come as a shock to you, but not everybody believes what you believe.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#43  Edited By elyk247

@Demoskinos said:

As many times as possible!

Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Unlogik

@YI_Orange said:

@Demoskinos said:

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By musubi
    @Unlogik

@YI_Orange said:

@Demoskinos said:

Gross!
    Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Unlogik

@Demoskinos said:

@Unlogik

@YI_Orange said:

@Demoskinos said:

Gross!

You just jelly :P

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Demoskinos said:

@Unlogik

@YI_Orange said:

@Demoskinos said:

Gross!

http://youtu.be/Vs_9QZ0iIkw?t=10s

Oh yeah!

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By DoctorWelch

If you guys can't wrap your head around infinity, go watch the most recent TNT where Will Smith explains it in perfect detail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.