Game Informer's Review is out

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for theimmortalbum
#1 Posted by theimmortalbum (578 posts) -

And it's a 9.75. Can't pull any quotes or anything as the review isn't online and I only read it in the digital magazine on Google Play, but just thought I'd post this here.

Seems to bode well for this game, which I think we can all agree looked to be amazing anyhow.

Avatar image for bartok
#2 Posted by bartok (3074 posts) -

An early review gives a game a high score? This never happens!!!

Avatar image for theimmortalbum
#3 Posted by theimmortalbum (578 posts) -

@bartok said:

An early review gives a game a high score? This never happens!!!

Haha, yeah. They also gave the new Transformers game a 9. Still, it had good things to say about BL2!

Avatar image for cale
#4 Edited by CaLe (4755 posts) -

There are 2 other reviews that have also given it 9.5 and 9.75. Magazines just get stuff first, Mr.

Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have
been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading
to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic
game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly
improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details
like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the
dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to
single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched
co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most
rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."

I guess Game Informer was one of those other reviews I was thinking about.

Avatar image for justin258
#5 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -

Sounds pretty good, that's still pretty high for GI.

Avatar image for ninjaberd
#6 Posted by NinjaBerd (230 posts) -

I pretty much figure Borderlands 2 is going to be good... but does anyone still care about game informer reviews? That magazine has been total trash for years.

Avatar image for phatmac
#7 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

Huh, I guess it really did improve on some of my problems with Borderlands. I'll have to check it out.

Avatar image for mnemoidian
#8 Posted by Mnemoidian (1016 posts) -

@theimmortalbum: Hang on now, don't be talking spit about Fall of Cybertron, that's a pretty good Transformers game!

And yeah... early review ;)

Avatar image for pillclinton
#9 Posted by PillClinton (3551 posts) -

@CaLe said:

There are 2 other reviews that have also given it 9.5 and 9.75. Magazines just get stuff first, Mr.

Games Master UK: 95/100
"Bigger. Ballsier. Bullet-ier. Borderlands 2 is the antidote to stuffy military shooters. Even statistically poor weapons are fun to handle. Underlying physics of each weapon have
been massively improved - guns feel like they used to in Doom and Unreal. Trading gear is better. Gearbox have learnt how to turn off the brown palette in Microsoft Paint, leading
to BL2 being the prettiest game of 2012 to date. Increased verticality of the world. More varied missions. Even better humour. Improved story. 30+ hours main quest. A truly epic
game once sidequests/playthroughs/badass ranks/loot has been taken into account. Bonus (optional) objectives to missions and multiple outcomes. Solo play and co-op markedly
improved (with more populated environments and more seamless co-op.)"

Game Informer: 9.75/10
"Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has taken everything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it. From major bullet points like the story to smaller details
like the UI and inventory system. Borderlands 2 surpassed my expectations and stands as a prime example of how to knock a sequel out of the park. Throughout the game, the
dialogue and clever missions display a sense of humor on par with the best in the industry. All of the improvements would make for a standout title even if it were constricted to
single-player. Considering Gearbox has continued to put this franchise in a league of its own when it comes to co-op, it elevates the game to something more. With its unmatched
co-op gameplay, intense shootouts, addictive loot-collecting, expansive skill customization, hilarious dialogue, and insane level of replayability, Borderlands 2 is one of the most
rewarding gaming experiences of this console generation."

I guess Game Informer was one of those other reviews I was thinking about.

That looks like a good programme my mother would enjoy.

Avatar image for funkydupe
#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

Not a 10. What a sucky game. Bargain bin. :D

Avatar image for cale
#11 Posted by CaLe (4755 posts) -

@PillClinton: I hope your mother a happy time with this game. Many fun is wait her.

Avatar image for bartok
#12 Edited by bartok (3074 posts) -

Don't get me wrong I loved the shit out of Borderlands and can't wait for Borderlands 2. It is just once I would love to see an early review of a movie or a video game where the critic does not think highly of the yet to be released product.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
#13 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4569 posts) -

4 player co-op is where this game is at

Avatar image for stryker1121
#14 Posted by stryker1121 (2101 posts) -

Any word about the solo campaign? In BL1, going solo and playing w/ friends were vastly different experiences.

Avatar image for socialone
#15 Posted by Socialone (226 posts) -

Instead of taking the easy route, the studio has takeneverything that impressed in the original and greatly enhanced it.

Is it just me or that sounds like the exact definition of an easy route? I'll buy the game in a heartbeat, but that statement is dumb.

Avatar image for marcsman
#16 Posted by Marcsman (3598 posts) -

I'm in regardless of reviews.

Avatar image for ozzdog12
#17 Posted by ozzdog12 (1116 posts) -

@theimmortalbum: Here's the thing. I put probably put around 125 hours into Borderlands. Bought all 4 DLC's and Maxed out 3 characters. I loved , loved, loved Borderlands. I like dungeon crawler/loot fest type games especially co-op. But for some reason, Borderlands 2 absolutely has not in any way peaked my interest. I think the only way I would play it, is if someone gave me a copy. I don't know why but I just have NO interest in this game, but still 9.75 is pretty damn good

Avatar image for funkydupe
#18 Posted by Funkydupe (3613 posts) -

@Socialone: The game is very iterative. If you liked Borderlands then you'll like this game. If you thought Borderlands got boring fast, well... I watched 5 minutes of the GB Ex:QL (Jeff with the guy who hardly had a pulse going), got to see the Commando turret etc, and some gun variations, and yeah... I played Borderlands recently, so maybe that's why I'm burnt out on it.

Avatar image for beachthunder
#19 Posted by BeachThunder (14581 posts) -

You know, I just realised that I don't give a shit about reviews...

Avatar image for fattony12000
#20 Posted by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -

8.8!???????????????????????????????????????

Avatar image for theimmortalbum
#21 Posted by theimmortalbum (578 posts) -

@Mnemoidian said:

@theimmortalbum: Hang on now, don't be talking spit about Fall of Cybertron, that's a pretty good Transformers game!

And yeah... early review ;)

So I heard! Just seems the consensus wasn't that it was a 9. Haha. I'm waiting to get it on the cheap on Steam!

Avatar image for jimbo
#22 Posted by Jimbo (10472 posts) -

Pre-ordered it blind so that's cool.  I'm about ready for some more Borderlands.

Avatar image for pillclinton
#23 Posted by PillClinton (3551 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

8.8!???????????????????????????????????????

I give this comment an 8.73. Would recommend to a friend.

Avatar image for morrelloman
#24 Posted by morrelloman (639 posts) -

I calculate that to be the best game of the year so far.

Avatar image for jasonr86
#25 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

I don't get the 'early review' comments. It sounds like the got the game on Monday. Game Informer may have even gotten it sooner because they are a big outlet. I could see someone dedicating a day or two to a game to beat and then review it.

Avatar image for obikwiet
#26 Posted by ObiKwiet (242 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

I don't get the 'early review' comments. It sounds like the got the game on Monday. Game Informer may have even gotten it sooner because they are a big outlet. I could see someone dedicating a day or two to a game to beat and then review it.

Most of the time early reviews are only allowed to be posted if they are above a certain score.

Avatar image for meltac
#27 Posted by Meltac (2008 posts) -

I liked the first one, but I am still not really anticipating this game.. at all. Good for Gearbox, though.

Avatar image for hosstile17
#28 Posted by Hosstile17 (819 posts) -

I loved the first Borderlands when I picked it up and I started progressively souring on it as I got further in the game. I think I might wait on this one. I totally get why people loved the first game and can't wait to get their hands on more of that hot loot action. But, I will wait for a Black Friday sale.

Avatar image for jasonr86
#29 Edited by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

@ObiKwiet said:

@JasonR86 said:

I don't get the 'early review' comments. It sounds like the got the game on Monday. Game Informer may have even gotten it sooner because they are a big outlet. I could see someone dedicating a day or two to a game to beat and then review it.

Most of the time early reviews are only allowed to be posted if they are above a certain score.

The review wasn't released by gameinformer. It was leaked from their magazine.

EDIT:

Oh, I guess it is from their digital issue. But all sorts of reviews are in that issue too I imagine both positive and negative. I doubt the high score has to do with some underlying nonsense.

Avatar image for mildmolasses
#30 Posted by MildMolasses (3200 posts) -

As much as I loved the original game, and 3 of the 4 add-ons, I'm really not interested in another one. I'm glad that they improved on it and do like some of the stuff they're doing, but the fun of that game is collecting loot, and I just don't want to be collecting any more loot this calendar year

Avatar image for napalm
#31 Posted by Napalm (9230 posts) -

It's no 9.80.

Avatar image for cptbedlam
#32 Posted by CptBedlam (4513 posts) -

Haha exclusive reviews... hilarious!

Avatar image for cale
#33 Posted by CaLe (4755 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

Haha exclusive reviews... hilarious!

It isn't an exclusive review.

Avatar image for cptbedlam
#34 Posted by CptBedlam (4513 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@CptBedlam said:

Haha exclusive reviews... hilarious!

It isn't an exclusive review.

Haha, print magazines ... hilarious!

Better?

Also, maybe they make these things look like leaks these days because "exclusive review" has gotten a pretty negative connotation.

Avatar image for humanity
#35 Posted by Humanity (16224 posts) -

It's always a bummer when a series you don't have any real attachment to gets all this praise and attention. No matter how many people give this game high scores and talk about how many hours they'll spend playing I'll probably never be able to enjoy the game on the same level and I'd really like to.

Avatar image for cale
#36 Posted by CaLe (4755 posts) -

@CptBedlam: What's wrong with print magazines? I don't buy them, but wasn't aware of any negative reputation associated with them. I know they get stuff earlier than most websites so early reviews aren't very surprising to me.

Avatar image for jasonr86
#37 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@CaLe said:

@CptBedlam said:

Haha exclusive reviews... hilarious!

It isn't an exclusive review.

Haha, print magazines ... hilarious!

Better?

Also, maybe they make these things look like leaks these days because "exclusive review" has gotten a pretty negative connotation.

It's from the digital issue. Subscribers get access to the digital issue before the print issue. You're reading too much into this.

Avatar image for cptbedlam
#38 Edited by CptBedlam (4513 posts) -

@CaLe said:

@CptBedlam: What's wrong with print magazines? I don't buy them, but wasn't aware of any negative reputation associated with them. I know they get stuff earlier than most websites so early reviews aren't very surprising to me.

They (and IGN) are pretty much the last bastion of that whole exclusive review thing.

@JasonR86: I'm always sceptical of early reviews. Especially when there's an embargo in place.

Avatar image for bravetoaster
#39 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

Speaking of which, I placed a 50000 point bet for a 5-star rating on I'm Calling It. I have faith in this game.

Avatar image for jackohara
#40 Posted by JackOhara (233 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

8.8!???????????????????????????????????????

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jasonr86
#41 Posted by JasonR86 (10178 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@CaLe said:

@CptBedlam: What's wrong with print magazines? I don't buy them, but wasn't aware of any negative reputation associated with them. I know they get stuff earlier than most websites so early reviews aren't very surprising to me.

They (and IGN) are pretty much the last bastion of that whole exclusive review thing.

@JasonR86: I'm always sceptical of early reviews. Especially when there's an embargo in place.

That's fine. But I think Gameinformer has been a pretty good company for quite a while. If they broke embargo I imagine it was a mistake more then something else.

Avatar image for subject2change
#42 Posted by Subject2Change (2971 posts) -

@Meltac said:

I liked the first one, but I am still not really anticipating this game.. at all. Good for Gearbox, though.

I'm the opposite way, so far this year to me has been a let down in terms of games for me; Diablo 3, ME3 (not as good as I had hoped), Twisted Metal, etc. Borderlands 1 was good to me, but needed some work (at least on PC). So I am hoping they fix their mistakes, especially for online play. As BL2 will take up most of my free time, if all goes well.

Avatar image for fattony12000
#43 Posted by Fattony12000 (8273 posts) -

@PillClinton said:

@Fattony12000 said:

8.8!???????????????????????????????????????

I give this comment an 8.73. Would recommend to a friend.

A FRIEND!? YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, JUST CUT THAT DEAL WITH THOSE SUITS.

Blood Money. Blood Money. Blood Money.

@JackOhara said:

@Fattony12000 said:

8.8!???????????????????????????????????????

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for sanity
#44 Posted by Sanity (2149 posts) -

Good score i guess, but i dont trust reviews that i cant read unless i buy the magazine. Already know this game is going to be good just watching the previews.

Avatar image for solh0und
#45 Posted by Solh0und (2045 posts) -

I made the right choice to preorder this super early I see. a 9.75 is pretty high for GI nowadays.

Avatar image for aegon
#46 Posted by Aegon (7236 posts) -

I couldn't watch that borderlands quick look EX. I usually watch quick looks in their entirety, but I had to keep skimming until I reached the end. Something about that game just bores me so much.

Avatar image for fearbeard
#47 Posted by Fearbeard (877 posts) -

I'm really eager to play the game. Still don't give a shit about reviews.

Also, I'm not that big a fan of Quick Look EX's either (particularly when it means that GB doesn't do a normal QL for the game). While it can be nice to get an early look of the game, I'd personally rather wait and see what the Giant Bomb crew really thinks in their own QL rather then being stuck with someone who worked on the game guiding them through it.

Avatar image for sanity
#48 Posted by Sanity (2149 posts) -

I will be surprised if we dont get a true QL for borderlands 2 plus a TNT for it. Im sure there will be tons of talk on next weeks bombcast as well.

Avatar image for huntad
#49 Posted by huntad (2346 posts) -

I wonder if when they call the game 'rewarding' if they mean it in the literal sense that the game gives you rewards for everything. The other example would be a game that challenges you and rewards you when you accomplish stuff.

Avatar image for red
#50 Posted by Red (6146 posts) -

While I too don't really care much about reviews, there was part of me that was thinking BL2 could end up shipping ridiculously broken or something. So good to hear it isn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.