How many side quests are worth doing?

Avatar image for cubidog1
#1 Posted by Cubidog1 (414 posts) -

Are there a bunch of collect X things, kill X creatures? Those aren't the ones I want to do.

Avatar image for landon
#2 Posted by Landon (4137 posts) -

All of them if you want your character to level up faster.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@Landon said:

All of them if you want your character to level up faster.

/thread 
 
I did all of them. This is the best answer. Loot you get and dont want just sell. 
Avatar image for laserbolts
#4 Posted by laserbolts (5506 posts) -

The firehawk chain is worth it because I think you get a pretty good orange shield out of it if I can remember right.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
#5 Posted by ChadMasterFlash (1000 posts) -

I don't remember there being a ton of collect x items or kill x creature missions. Most of the side missions are good and like someone else said you level up faster.

Avatar image for hizang
#6 Posted by Hizang (9358 posts) -

So far I have done them all, whats the point of buying Borderlands if your not doing side quests?

Avatar image for starvinggamer
#7 Posted by StarvingGamer (11360 posts) -

The only reason to not do the sidequests would be if you wanted to get less gameplay, dialogue, and loot out of your Borderlands experience.

Avatar image for _zombie_
#8 Posted by _Zombie_ (1483 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

The only reason to not do the sidequests would be if you wanted to get less gameplay, dialogue, and loot out of your Borderlands experience.

This.

By the way, no, very few quests are pure fetch/kill quests. They mix it up from quest to quest so they don't get boring.

Avatar image for hbkdx12
#9 Edited by hbkdx12 (800 posts) -

Certain side missions have good loot. Especially if you do them on your 2.5 playthrough

Avatar image for dagbiker
#10 Posted by Dagbiker (7041 posts) -

All quests have unique dialogue, and I did all of them except for the timed ones.

Avatar image for jazzycola
#11 Posted by Jazzycola (672 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

The firehawk chain is worth it because I think you get a pretty good orange shield out of it if I can remember right.

Even quest designated loot is kind of random even when doing co-op. I got a better shotgun than my friend at the same level for the same quest reward. Also the firehawk questline is the worst questline I have done in BL2.

Avatar image for punisherkaos
#12 Posted by punisherkaos (336 posts) -

All of em, I honestly couldnt even think there would be another way to play borderlands

Avatar image for gunstarred
#13 Edited by GunstarRed (6044 posts) -

I have tried to do all of them, but by the time I'd gotten around to Eridium Blight the thought of doing another one of those timed letterbox challenges made me feel sick. The first one was ok, but the one in the Highlands was a total nightmare.

I don't know why you're playing Borderlands if you are not going to do most of/all the side quests.

Avatar image for neurotic
#14 Posted by Neurotic (635 posts) -

I do all of them except those goddamned time-based ones. Those ones suck. I had a bad experience with the one where you get a bunch of arms for Zed when I was playing Siren so I just said 'Fuck it' and my Mechromancer doesn't do none of that shit. Maybe I'll finish em off when I'm about to beat the game but I'll have to be in a good mood.

Avatar image for _zombie_
#15 Posted by _Zombie_ (1483 posts) -

@Neurotic said:

I do all of them except those goddamned time-based ones. Those ones suck. I had a bad experience with the one where you get a bunch of arms for Zed when I was playing Siren so I just said 'Fuck it' and my Mechromancer doesn't do none of that shit. Maybe I'll finish em off when I'm about to beat the game but I'll have to be in a good mood.

Oh, yeah. Fuck the timed missions. I only managed to do the one Marcus gives you in the Eridium Blight, and even that ended with me frustrated.

Avatar image for mosespippy
#16 Posted by mosespippy (4751 posts) -

@Neurotic said:

I do all of them except those goddamned time-based ones. Those ones suck. I had a bad experience with the one where you get a bunch of arms for Zed when I was playing Siren so I just said 'Fuck it' and my Mechromancer doesn't do none of that shit. Maybe I'll finish em off when I'm about to beat the game but I'll have to be in a good mood.

They do suck. I did one of them when I was in a 4 player game so we had people in position when the timer started. For Zed's arm one I set up both vehicles, drove around in one to collect the items, collected the last one near a vehicle station and teleported to the second vehicle that was right at the turn in point.

Avatar image for theunsavedhero
#17 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1308 posts) -

Every Side Quest is needed for character leveling. I did almost all of them. (Except the Crawmerax type ones.) They were fine.

I did the timed ones too. Didn't think they were all that bad. The only one I hated was the "Deliver the Mail" type quest. Fucking bandits.

Avatar image for sikapwach
#18 Posted by sikapwach (49 posts) -

@Jazzycola said:

@laserbolts said:

The firehawk chain is worth it because I think you get a pretty good orange shield out of it if I can remember right.

Even quest designated loot is kind of random even when doing co-op. I got a better shotgun than my friend at the same level for the same quest reward. Also the firehawk questline is the worst questline I have done in BL2.

I'm pretty sure the final mission in the Firehawk line always gives a legendary shield.

Avatar image for jazzycola
#19 Posted by Jazzycola (672 posts) -

@sikapwach said:

@Jazzycola said:

@laserbolts said:

The firehawk chain is worth it because I think you get a pretty good orange shield out of it if I can remember right.

Even quest designated loot is kind of random even when doing co-op. I got a better shotgun than my friend at the same level for the same quest reward. Also the firehawk questline is the worst questline I have done in BL2.

I'm pretty sure the final mission in the Firehawk line always gives a legendary shield.

Just because the shield is blue, purple, or orange doesn't mean that the stats for said shield are actually good.

Avatar image for robo
#20 Posted by Robo (887 posts) -

I did all but the last couple of rounds in the second arena place you find in Eridium Blight. Only because it was pretty clear from the previous rounds and the other arena near The Fridge that you really shouldn't be doing them until you're either ridiculously over-leveled or have a decent group.

Avatar image for 137
#21 Posted by 137 (487 posts) -

did all of them... I was told that if you wait until you're lvl 50 then do them, the loot also gets better with your levels you gain... So I want to get to level 50 and get the sweet ass talking robot shield haha

Avatar image for zaccheus
#22 Posted by Zaccheus (1981 posts) -

Fuck the timed ones, otherwise everything.

Avatar image for spaceinsomniac
#23 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (5947 posts) -

@137 said:

did all of them... I was told that if you wait until you're lvl 50 then do them, the loot also gets better with your levels you gain... So I want to get to level 50 and get the sweet ass talking robot shield haha

As a correction, you should be aware that you have to wait until you're level 50 and finish the the second playthough before even ACCEPTING side quests, if you want to get level 50 rewards for those quests.

Avatar image for 137
#24 Posted by 137 (487 posts) -

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@137 said:

did all of them... I was told that if you wait until you're lvl 50 then do them, the loot also gets better with your levels you gain... So I want to get to level 50 and get the sweet ass talking robot shield haha

As a correction, you should be aware that you have to wait until you're level 50 and finish the the second playthough before even ACCEPTING side quests, if you want to get level 50 rewards for those quests.

Yeah, what you said... It's late and I've been on a conference call all night at work. Forgive me! (please send cake and doughnuts maybe some milk too)

Avatar image for rafaelfc
#25 Posted by Rafaelfc (2225 posts) -

I've been doing everything so far, just past the mission involving Bloodwing,

I have been clearing every side quest before tackling the main quest and so far, I've been grossly overleveled for all the story stuff...

Still having tons of fun though.

Avatar image for ritehandluv
#26 Posted by RiteHandLuv (14 posts) -

How do you start 2.5? IS it similar to TVHM where you can select 2.5 from the menu, or does it overwrite you previous TVHM playthrough?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.