Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Should I or do I need to play Borderlands before Borderlands 2?

vivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By vivek

Borderlands 2 is on my wish list but I never had a chance to play the original. If I play through it, how long does it take and is it worth it before the sequel is released? I am looking to play this possibly over the next 2 weeks on PS3.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By maginnovision

I don't think you need to play it, but you could probably manage to play it all the way until 2 is released. You may want to pick it up for cheap just to make sure you'll even want 2 since it seems to just be more of the same.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Solh0und

It helps. I hear that there will be references of the first game in 2.  

Either way, you totally should.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

You don't need too but the original Borderlands is a really fun game and cheap now so I would reccomend it.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By YI_Orange

It takes as long as you want. The story is insignificant. It's just a loot driven FPS with quests and skill trees. So no, you don't need to play it, but it's still really good. If you can pick up a GOTY edition I would recommend it. Skip Mad Moxxi, the rest of the DLC is good though.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Catarrhal

@Vivek: Borderlands is a timeless classic. Definitely go for the Game of the Year edition, but keep in mind--if you're the type who likes to finish everything, you may need longer than two weeks.

Also: Lilith is the best character, flat-out. Even Randy Pitchford acknowledges this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

I've been thinking about picking it up since it's dirt cheap everywhere but I've been told by various people that it's boring to play by yourself. Not sure how much truth is in that - I was just fine playing through Diablo 3 by myself even though a majority of the time I played with a friend.

In the end though I decided to just wait for Borderlands 2 - it's coming out pretty soon and if I dive deep into the original now I might feel burnt out on that style of gameplay by the time the sequel comes out.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

I doubt you need to, but you probably should. Story is pointless and the writing is funny, especially in the Knoxx DLC. It's probably worth playing just for the gun fountain when you throw away all your unwanted guns.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _Zombie_

Not really. It's still a fun game, and with all of the DLC, it'd go long enough to last you 'till 2 drops, most likely.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mekon

The original Borderlands is worth a purchase, I've got >300's of hours on it just having fun and trying to find *that* gun/weapon.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Borderlands doesn't have a deep story or anything like that, but I think you'll enjoy the sequel more if you have knowledge of the first game.

It's also pretty cheap now, if you hate it, you know not to waste money on Borderlands 2.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Zelyre

I'd hold out til 2 with a FOV slider.

Borderlands 1 was all right, but its super narrow FOV made playing it for any extended periods of time hard. There were ways to get around it, and maybe someone figured out how to permanently change it, but every time you sprinted or boosted, after it was done, it'd return to a narrow fov.

If you're playing on a console, I dunno. Rent it, have a save file, and get some cheap DLC for Borderlands 2?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Vivek I think I quit after about 40 hours and didn't finish the first playthrough (no dlc)
    Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Echofoxz

Borderlands is not known for its story, so I don't think you will miss that much if you start with Borderlands 2. I mean I played Mass Effect 2 before Mass Effect, and I totally enjoyed the game, and the story is really important in the Mass Effect franchise. So, you will totally have fun in Borderlands 2 even if you never played Borderlands. Although if it's cheap, you should totally get it because it's super rad.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By fattony12000

@Vivek:

Well, you have a personal computer device, why not try it right now?

Borderlands: Game of the Year for £9.99

Borderlands: The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned

Borderlands: Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot

Borderlands: The Secret Armory of General Knoxx

Borderlands: Claptrap's Robot Revolution

http://store.steampowered.com/app/901566/

It's a fine game, you'll definitely get your money's worth out of it. As to whether or not you need to play it, for the story and shit? No. But that's not what Borderlands is. It's just good co-op fun!

http://www.giantbomb.com/steam/92-718/your-guide-to-the-steam-summer-sale-2012/35-553995/

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karkarov

Doubt it is that important, but you can likely find it for cheap and it will give you a good idea on what to expect from the sequel. Not to mention help you choose a playstyle.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrockNRolla

I certainly don't think you need to play it, but it was pretty enjoyable. The only major problem is that it's a huge time sink, and I think the best stuff is probably in the DLC, which you wouldn't get to until later.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

You should play it because its a great game despite its flaws.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deox

I doubt you'll need to, but you should. Its a fantastic game, pretty cheap now, and I'm sure you'll still be able to find people to play with online. Most importantly it will give you a chance to get a feel for the game mechanics. If you don't like the original you probably shouldn't bother picking up the sequel because from what I've been hearing it's still very much the same game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

@Zelyre said:

Borderlands 1 was all right, but its super narrow FOV made playing it for any extended periods of time hard. There were ways to get around it, and maybe someone figured out how to permanently change it, but every time you sprinted or boosted, after it was done, it'd return to a narrow fov.

If you're playing on a console, I dunno. Rent it, have a save file, and get some cheap DLC for Borderlands 2?

Huh? I never had any issues with the FOV in Borderlands, unless you're one of those insane people that constantly needs the FOV at something insane like 150.

Anyway, I'd suggest giving the first one a look at a cheaper price to know if you'll like the series or not. I had fun on my first playthrough but can't even make myself play it since then.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

You don't have to play it. The story isn't what you're there for. You should play it because its a great game.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Nah, Borderlands isn't about story so starting with 2 should be no big deal.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By mosespippy

I've played Borderlands 7 or 8 times, maybe more. I don't think you need to play it before Borderlands 2 and I don't think you should play it before Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 looks like more of the same so why would you want to possibly burn yourself out by playing it?

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
    thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like this same question came up alot with diablo 3. i doubt you'll need to play the original, but its an awesome game, so if you're interested in the sequel there's no reason you shouldn't play the previous installment

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sungahymn

I'm pretty sure you don't have to (says the guy who's playing it).

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Sooperspy

@Hizang said:

You don't need too but the original Borderlands is a really fun game and cheap now so I would reccomend it.

Basically this. If you can get a friend or 3, then totally play the first Borderlands.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By probablytuna

Well you still have at least two months so why not? I'm playing through it right now.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5$ on Steam right now, so I'd recommend it for that price.

Personally though, I wouldn't want to play a bunch of borderlands just before 2, so I don't get bored with it.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DocPorpoise

i would agree with all the people who've said you don't need to play the first but should cause it's a fun game. the only reason to not play the first one at this point is if you're planning on picking up 2 at launch and are the type of gamer who (like me) likes to space out there third and first person shooters to avoid getting burned out on them. As an aside there are only two fps's that i go back to regularly, halo and borderlands..

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Subjugation

The story is inconsequential. There may be callbacks in Borderlands 2, but it isn't like you will be missing out on some grand story arc.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ulain

@believer258 said:

@Zelyre said:

Huh? I never had any issues with the FOV in Borderlands, unless you're one of those insane people that constantly needs the FOV at something insane like 150.

Anyway, I'd suggest giving the first one a look at a cheaper price to know if you'll like the series or not. I had fun on my first playthrough but can't even make myself play it since then.

This. If you like FPS and hack-and-slash style loot, but not both, you may not enjoy it.

Then again the game is so damn cheap there's really no reason not to. And make sure you at least get the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. It's fucking awesome. For reference, a friend of mine immediately pre-ordered Diablo III without ever having played the first 2. D3 may be subpar anyway, but the point stands: Test out the cheaper merchandise first!

@addictedtopinescent said:

5$ on Steam right now, so I'd recommend it for that price.

Personally though, I wouldn't want to play a bunch of borderlands just before 2, so I don't get bored with it.

$7.98 for me, but thanks! Downloading now lol

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NekuCTR

If you can get it for like $5 go for it. Play through the first area at least, and that should be enough.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 49th

If you want.

mitsuko_souma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mitsuko_souma

You don't need to play it. It depends on how much free time you have and do you have a backlog of games? If yes, then I would say skip it, because Borderlands 2 looks to be the same as Borderlands 1, but better at everything.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By golguin

I ordered the game of the year edition yesterday because I want to become familiar with the series instead of going in blind in September.

I doubt I'll burn out on that type of gameplay since I haven't played an FPS regularly for a VERY long time. The only shooty game I've played in the past several months is Gears of War 3 and that's not really a FPS. ME3 had some shooting except that I rarely used firearms as an Adept (stasis+warp detonation all the way). Skyrim and The Witcher 2 are all swords and magic. Stuff like Asura's Wrath, Walking Dead, Fez, Iron Brigade, and Dark Souls round out the rest of the console games I've played this year.

I think I'm ready to get into some RPG loot FPS action.

Rhinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rhinox

It's a great game you can find for dirt cheap. Why not play it? Plus, there are the little bonuses you'll get in BL2 for having save data from the first game and, who knows, you might just get a few of the more "in" jokes in BL2.

all in all, no reason not to play it, barring time and your own personal life.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

You don't need to, but you should.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By audiosnow

I think a consensus has been reached.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands was okay. Not exactly sure why people loved it so much, it failed at nearly everything it promised.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

PUSSY MONSTER....that is all you need to know

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By toowalrus

I actually just finished the first Borderlands. It was super fun, I'm glad I played it, but after watching all of the trailers for 2, I don't really see any reason you'd need to play the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.