Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Split screen co-op on PC?

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mortface

What is the status of split screen co-op on the PC version? Is it just not supported at all? I've been told elsewhere "oh it'll be modded in". Has that already been done yet? Is that easy? Does it require SLI/crossfire or any other multi-GPU gubbins? I have only one GeForce 560 Ti (and two monitors).

That's pretty much a solid selling point for me, with regards to which version I get.. I have a fairly good gaming PC, and a 360. I'm sure the PC version will look better, but I need split-screen co-op.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By bibamatt

Currently it's not there. I don't think that they're going to officially support it (bullshit!) but it might be modded in, who knows. I think someone modded in a multi-monitor co-op on the original game. If it's selling point, you should definitely go console!

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mortface

Yeah, I did read about the modded multi-monitor co-op. That is pretty awesome. I would love more games to have multi-monitor support.

Is there likely to be a similar mod for Borderlands 2? How did the mod for the first game work? Can that be implemented easily into Borderlands 2? I'd feel like an absolute sucker if I settled for the 360 version and then this mod comes out for PC a few weeks later..

mrstones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mrstones

Playing split-screen/multi-screen PC in Borderlands 1 was pretty much as simple* as running the game window twice, lan-ing the two together and hooking up two xbox/ps controllers. The only bit of actual game modding that needed to be done was if you wanted to use m&k + controller (pain in the ass, temperamental and imo not worth it). I'm currently in the same dilemma as to buy pc or xbox with split-screen being a hinge decision for me.

If anyone reading this with BL2 installed could have a go at starting two windows lan-ed up there is a virtual pint in it for you :)

* Getting the two windows to be both active at the same time is the trick, anyone interested should google up "auto window manager" or head to the steam forums where there's a decent tutorial

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@bibamatt said:

Currently it's not there. I don't think that they're going to officially support it (bullshit!) but it might be modded in, who knows. I think someone modded in a multi-monitor co-op on the original game. If it's selling point, you should definitely go console!

Are you saying the consoles have split screen and the PC doesn't? Why is that?

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mirado

@AhmadMetallic: Don't know why they didn't put it in the PC version, but I can confirm it's on consoles. I grabbed a PC copy and my buddy for the 360, and we could split it on his TV (and take it online with it, which was nice).

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By bibamatt

@AhmadMetallic: Yeah, it's not in the PC but is in the console. I don't know why PC games never have split-screen. Obviously a PC through a monitor on a desk isn't ideal for two players, but I (and I'm sure many others too) play Borderlands 2 PC through my TV with a controller. I wish a friend could jump in like on the console.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#8  Edited By Wemibelle

Dual monitor split-screen is a very intriguing idea. I would think that most desks wouldn't be big enough for two players to sit at though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I wish it did, but there is a way to play the first Borderlands on two different monitors, with one person on one monitor and the other on another. Or split screen with a similar method. Anyway, it doesn't seem too hard to adapt that method to the second games, so maybe you can jerry-rig it to happen.

Shame that devs won't put split screen in the PC versions now that many people play on their living room TV, with a controller.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

I guess there's also the matter of Steamworks. You can't log in with two different Steam accounts at the same, AFAIK. Unless they somehow let you create a character that's not linked to a Steam account, but that defeats the purpose of having Steamworks integrated with the game.

balgoth17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By balgoth17

I too want to get borderlands 2 for pc (our xbox is for family friendly games) but want dual monitor/splitscreen co-op. I'm using a free trial for a program called softXpand, it basicaly creats 2 vertual mechines on one computer, two mice, two keyboards, two monitors. i also found a program called sandboxie that lets you run two steams! i tested it on mount and blade warband, and it worked great! I not sure i this will work for borderlands 2 (im pretty sure some one posted a video on youtube using this method for borderlands 1 ) but i dont want to through $60 away just to find out. so if someone already has borderlands 2 for pc, try it and let us know how it go!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@JoeyRavn said:

I guess there's also the matter of Steamworks. You can't log in with two different Steam accounts at the same, AFAIK. Unless they somehow let you create a character that's not linked to a Steam account, but that defeats the purpose of having Steamworks integrated with the game.

Whereas on the 360, the two people log in to both their XBL accounts on the same machine to play....split screen? What? :P

balgoth17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By balgoth17

@JoeyRavn said:

You can using a program called sandboxie!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.