Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

Tiny Tina sucks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#101  Edited By Humanity
    @aurahack I don't think I agree with that, but then again I find most of it fine with a few rough spots here and there. It's easy to see why some might find parts of it unbearable.

As for Tiny Tina it was just a way to write Ashley Burch into the game. I didn't find her particularly offensive but they already have Scooter as a crazy gibberish type so she seemed somewhat redundant.

In a game filled to the brim with over the top dialog, characters and action I think normal quiet characters that add a bit of grounding resonate the best with me.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By JasonR86

A lot of the characters in this game suck. Tiny Tina is one of them.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By bushpusherr

@Scrawnto said:

Why does everyone have to be funny? Why can't some characters just be weird, broken people?

They certainly don't have to be...but it is very clear that they were trying to make Tina funny. And nothing brings on the cringes like people desperately trying to be funny and totally falling flat.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By TheHumanDove

The black market vendor is the fucking worst.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By Phatmac

Isn't she a bit too young?

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

@Hokucho said:

I personally love T.T.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#107  Edited By MEATBALL

So I did the Tiny Tina stuff yesterday, found her pretty funny. Then again I also find HAWP quite funny.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By xyzygy

I think she's fucking awesome.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By Daveyo520

I thought she was funny. It fits with the game. Don't take it seriously.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By Genkkaku

@StarvingGamer said:

I think BL2 is plenty funny. I am sorry my friends and I are having so much more fun than everyone else. Actually I'm not really sorry. Suckas!

This

kalibr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By kalibr

I think she's kinda entertaining and I really don't see a huge difference in humor between the first and second game. Get over yourself and stop pretending you have such a sophisticated sense of humor that this game is below you and you feel the need to complain about some secondary character.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Dagbiker

The thing is, everyone has a different sense of humor. Some people like dick jokes, some people like poop jokes, but if your using this sight you probably like the humor of Giantbomb. That's probably why it always seams like Jeff or Ryan can do no wrong. Its a Venn-diagram, if it wasn't 11:00 at night I would make one.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Awwww.

I liked her in an ironic kind of way.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RedRavN

I dont think every character needs to be actually funny. I always liked how characters in borderlands are often just f-ed up and awkward and possibly schizophrenic. Sometimes I think that is just a way of being comical without being overt. For example, I think the lame and schlocky dialog with lilith and roland was designed to be that way and not a result of bad joke writing. I think that tiny tina was supposed to be wierd, irritating and uncomfortable to be around and that was the intended effect.

You can not like the character but I dont think that necessarily make the writing bad because your not supposed to identify or like her in the first place.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By kishinfoulux

@BisonHero said:

@Maajin said:

I guess I'm the opposite of most of Giant Bomb users: I couldn't care less for Borderlands 2, but freaking love HAWP and their podcast. Also, I think they've gotten better, the Quantum Conundrum and Game of Thrones episodes are both fantastic.

I'm actually with you. I'm a huge fan of HAWP and think Anthony and Ash have really interesting things to say about gaming on the podcast and in their other writing, but I just can't get interested in Borderlands 2 even a little bit. Borderlands 1 completely burned me out on the idea, and despite the fact that I have 5 Steam friends who have been playing Borderlands 2 all week, I just have no interest in the game.

Also, the podcast has been less interesting as of late, because there's just too many people on it. I was fine with Justin and Blavis being added, because they don't say much and still let Anthony and Ash lead the discussion. Grant and Uly just seem excessive, especially when Grant is so outgoing that the discussion tends to revolve around him unless Anthony or Ashly really think of a discussion topic that they put their foot down on. Also Grant and Uly are only barely related to the webseries. It ends up feeling like Grant Storytime Hour most of the time. Admittedly, because of this, I've actually fallen several months behind on that podcast, so for all I know maybe the last couple podcasts have been awesome.

I miss when the podcast was deeply personal discussions between Anthony and Ash about gaming and fiction and life in general. That Choco Taco story, man.

When they added Uly and kind of made it a threesome I wasn't feeling it at first. Then it starting clicking over time. But then more and more people starting coming on and it just doesn't feel the same. I agree it's at its best when it's just the two of them bullshitting about whatever.

@Maajin said:

@VooDooPC said:

Then her voice acting is like a fat black woman with an attitude.

Yep, that pretty much defines Ashly Burch.

(I think this interview is one of the greatest things to ever be uploaded on the internet, by the way.)

The comments on that video are hilarious because internet. I'm amazed how this video went over the heads of so many people.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By GunstarRed

I only got to her last night and I found her stuff genuinely funny, some of the funniest stuff in the game in fact. If it wasn't for her, the amazing Turtles mission and the bit where Bloodwing gives his opinion over the radio I would have continued to think that the jokes weren't quite as funny as I wanted them to be.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously? She was actually the best character in the game by far. Easily the funniest. As far as the writing, it's also some of the best because of the close connection between the writer and the actress. They're siblings. I'm not sure why exactly you don't like the character. As a creative writer myself, I thought it was very clever and interesting.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Scotto

Didn't roll on the floor with tears streaming down my face at her lines, but I thought Tiny Tina was fine.

Most of the digital ink I'm seeing spilled about the humour in this game just makes me sad, because it seems like a contest between people to prove they have the most sophisticated sense of humour. These games aren't made for one person's incredibly discerning sense of what is funny - they are made for millions of disparate personalities.

I don't find obtusely placed internet meme jokes funny - my friend thinks they are hilarious. I like Claptrap as a character - my other friend can't stand him. I actually don't mind the Handsome Jack character - Jeff hated him.

Personally, I'm really liking the tone of Borderlands 2. Even if every joke doesn't hit for me, I like the overall silliness of the universe this time. My favourite moments, honestly, are some of the things the enemies themselves say when you're fighting them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So far I have found Tiny Tina, and the Tea Party quest, have been the most entertaining quests... Except for the AI Core quest.

Overall I think the humor in the game falls kinda flat and the majority of the characters are more annoying than funny, which is a shame since the rest of the game is great.

Actually I like Handsome Jack too, and I think he is fairly funny. But all the torture "humor" the game has is weird and kinda uncomfortable in my opinion, so I guess it all kinda evens out in the end.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By EuanDewar

there's already people on the Internet who wanna fuck this little girl

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Humanity

@Village_Guy: Did you choose to get the gun or the shield? I chose the gun and it talks CONSTANTLY.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By bushpusherr

@Humanity: I picked up the gun on that quest, and given that it was a sniper well better than anything I was using (playing as a sniper centric Zer0 character), I had to endure the annoying bullshit. They literally had to make it say something after every kill and reload? Was so happy when I found a sniper better than it.

Still not as bad as "The Bane" at least haha

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Humanity

@bushpusherr: Thats kinda neat since I got a shotgun version. Nice that they actually randomly generate the gun. Except for all that trouble the gun wasn't even that good and I'm a sniper Zer0 also. Overall I'm level 19 and I haven't found a new sniper, PERIOD, since like level 14. Only thing I really hate about loot driven games is constantly getting loot you don't want.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Humanity: I choose the shield since I needed that more at the time, though I kinda regretted it later. I'm picking up the gun on my next tour through.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By EuanDewar

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By bushpusherr

@Humanity said:

@bushpusherr: Thats kinda neat since I got a shotgun version. Nice that they actually randomly generate the gun. Except for all that trouble the gun wasn't even that good and I'm a sniper Zer0 also. Overall I'm level 19 and I haven't found a new sniper, PERIOD, since like level 14. Only thing I really hate about loot driven games is constantly getting loot you don't want.

I guess I just got lucky it fit my character haha, up to that point I had been using a sniper with around 600+ damage, and the sniper from that mission was 900+, so I was quite happy with it (other than the annoying speech of couse haha).

@EuanDewar said:

The age of consent in Vatican City is 14, and not that long ago used to be 12. Also, let's not being the fundamentalist Islamic regions into this lol...this is still very much an issue in this day and age.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Humanity

@Village_Guy: Did it talk all the time too?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Humanity: When you get hit it does, acting like it doesn't take damage and that the elemental damage isn't harming it, and then it goes all "oh no!" when your shields are depleted.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Humanity

@Village_Guy: Hmm, I think that might be even more annoying than when he screams stuff when you're shooting. Either way it's a pretty neat idea and fun for a few minutes so kudos to them. It's unfortunately that for the length of the quest the item you get is pretty mediocre, or it was in my case, but at the same time it would be a bummer if the gun was super good and I was stuff with all that yacking for hours on end.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#130  Edited By Dreamfall31

I love the Hey Ash Whatcha Playin? videos, but her character was just plain stupid.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#131  Edited By Renahzor

I don't like HAWP, but I found Tiny Tina amusing. My wife even chuckled hearing a couple of her lines from across the room. I find all of the humor in the game pretty stupid, but in an endearing way. Yes Tiny Tina is a stupid character, but its all so overblown that it gave me a couple good laughs. It's all very self aware, and the lines that miss are quickly drowned out by gunfire anyway, so whatever. The one I find most annoying is Zer0's action skill quote about activating his trap card, it's pretty long winded and triggers probably 1/3 of the time you use it.

What I find more disturbing is that searching for pull quotes from her dialogue on google and typing in "Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina", one of the top suggestions is "rule 34". Fuck the internet.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Renahzor said:

I don't like HAWP, but I found Tiny Tina amusing. My wife even chuckled hearing a couple of her lines from across the room. I find all of the humor in the game pretty stupid, but in an endearing way. Yes Tiny Tina is a stupid character, but its all so overblown that it gave me a couple good laughs. It's all very self aware, and the lines that miss are quickly drowned out by gunfire anyway, so whatever. The one I find most annoying is Zer0's action skill quote about activating his trap card, it's pretty long winded and triggers probably 1/3 of the time you use it.

What I find more disturbing is that searching for pull quotes from her dialogue on google and typing in "Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina", one of the top suggestions is "rule 34". Fuck the internet.

Oh no you didn't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BigDaddy81 said:

I hate this site more and more with each passing day.

Then leave.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#134  Edited By Yummylee

@Renahzor said:

Yup. It's the same thing when you begin typing ''Walking Dead Clementine'' as well =/

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By AndrewB

@Yummylee: Oh dear lord...

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#136  Edited By Brad

@Akyho said:

That is the joke..........also helps if your a fan of Hey Ash Watcha Playin.

The two people responsible for what you dont like.

I've really liked all the HAWP I've seen but find Tiny Tina tremendously annoying. WHAT NOW?!

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By _Zombie_

Don't hate her. Some of her lines managed to make me laugh, but she's not hilarious or anything.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By SuperTess

I feel like she should annoy the heck out of me, yet I kinda dig her.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Akyho

@Brad said:

I've really liked all the HAWP I've seen but find Tiny Tina tremendously annoying. WHAT NOW?!

Then you wont like the HAWP you havnt seen!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#140  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Brad: Play a couple more missions and never listen to Tiny Tina again. Her bit in the story is short.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By emem

I've never seen the show on Gametrailers and I think Tiny Tina is a really funny character. She is interesting, the writing is strong, and the voice acting is actually extremely good (great work by Alanis Morissette's sister), imho. But I get why a lot of people would probably dislike her. Well, what can you do...too bad for them.

koolaid39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By koolaid39

I really enjoyed Tina. Her story is dark as hell, and she's nutty because of it. IMO Roland talks too much and is the most annoying. Either way, the game is entertaining and fun for me.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By bushpusherr

@koolaid39 said:

I really enjoyed Tina. Her story is dark as hell, and she's nutty because of it. IMO Roland talks too much and is the most annoying. Either way, the game is entertaining and fun for me.

I can appreciate the darkness of her origin story (found in an Echo for those that haven't heard it), but I just wish they would have taken her resulting behavior in a different direction, instead of all "Look at me, I'm CRraAaaaaAAZzZzZzyy"

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#144  Edited By ProfessorK

Man, I'm actually amazed at how the reception has been to BL2's humor has been here. I figured enough people would get the fact that it's 99.9% ironic and mostly dumb for the sake of being dumb. Now whether or not someone finds it funny is fine. But really I feel it's a commentary of the state of gamer/online humor, which in itself is completely dumb/ironic.

Also, I love Tiny Tina, she somewhat reminds me of Pinky from Pinky and the Brain.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Sanity

@ProfessorK said:

Man, I'm actually amazed at how the reception has been to BL2's humor has been here. I figured enough people would get the fact that it's 99.9% ironic and mostly dumb for the sake of being dumb. Now whether or not someone finds it funny is fine. But really I feel it's a commentary of the state of gamer/online humor, which in itself is completely dumb/ironic.

Also, I love Tiny Tina, she somewhat reminds me of Pinky from Pinky and the Brain.

I agree, its poking fun at that kind of crappy humor more then its embracing it.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By RazielCuts

Personally coming from Borderlands 1 I'm weirded out by how much chatty cathy's the prior vault hunters are, like too much dialogue, stop being so needy for me to think you have a personality now when you so evidently didn't have one's in the first.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By phantomzxro

@MariachiMacabre said:

@bushpusherr

@MariachiMacabre said:

Seriously the hate train for every major release is getting crazy. Positivity is becoming a rarer site with each passing day.

I don't really see any "hate trains" going around. A lot of people in this thread have stated (and I will join them) in saying that BL2 is an awesome game. The game isn't perfect though, and people shouldn't be discouraged from speaking out about that. Sure there are always exceptions, but I think for the most part, a lot of legitimate criticisms of games gets blown off as "unjustified hate and negativity."

It's not just BL2. It's been several of the major releases this year. The best example is the Mass Effect 3 bullshit that climaxed in death threats towards BioWare staffers. The video game community has a lot of growing up to do. It seems like the only things people ever pay attention to in games are the negatives. No matter how minuscule it's blown completely out of portion and reiterated with more threads than it ever warrants.

Fair point but that is a two way street and i feel too many people take isolated problems and just dumb it on the gaming community. Sure people will complain and when you have a free space to complain you are going to get a lot of it. Some will be pity complaints just to complain other will be heart felt complaints. Like with mass effect 3 sure you going to have the radical group who write death threats but no normal gamer is supporting that. Many generally had problems with the game.

The real growing up part is learning to not fuel the crazy behavior while still listening to people who have real problems with something. With borderlands 2 i feel it all part of the debate, not every joke will be winners and gearbox will learn what worked and what did not for the next game.

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jtman54179

@Humanity: @Humanity said:

@Village_Guy: Did you choose to get the gun or the shield? I chose the gun and it talks CONSTANTLY.

Want to really get annoyed? Switch between the gun and another weapon repeatedly for about 10 seconds. After which, the gun talks even when it isn't drawn...May have been patched, I sold the gun a while back.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By JackOhara

I've seen video of a lot of this game, and in general the dialogue seems to be awkward and poorly written. But given that it's a video game and not a film that's ok, the dialogue doesn't really matter that much in a game like this anyways since you always get 'quest arrows' showing you what to do and where to go.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#150  Edited By Alphazero

Tiny Tina made me laugh several times. Over the top fits the game. I mean, you finished the Top Gun mission in The Dust right? The tea party mission with TT was fun, and if you're looking for character justifications, explains a bit why she's messed in the head.

HAWP makes me laugh almost all of the time. They're some funny people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.