Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands 2

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Sep 18, 2012

Return to Pandora as part of a new group of ragtag Vault Hunters in this sequel to the 2009 first-person "role-playing shooter" Borderlands, now with new crazy enemies, new crazy character classes, and even crazier weapons.

W4R D3N boss unbalanced for solo play?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HerbieBug

So. This thing. It doesn't seem balanced to me. I'm level 14 Zer0. I have an okay corrosive SMG for that level and an alright electricity sniper rifle. Run up, unload three clips worth of the SMG into it's eye, barely take down the shield, get in trouble, run for cover to deal with the respawning minions (infinite spawns?). By the time I've cleared a path back to him, the goddamn shield is fully charged again.

What the hell?

And no, I'm not paying for xbl gold just to beat a boss. D:

edit--- got him, see post below.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By konig_kei

drop sentry, wait then collect loot.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ares42

While some bosses certainly are hard when playing solo I've found the key to succeeding is using your ability. When I did W4R D3N as Zer0 I actually just ran out of the room and got just the right angle to keep sniping him in the eye from range.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@HerbieBug: You might have to grind elsewhere for a bit before taking this prick down. If you can find one, use an electric weapon against shields, or slag the Warden and switch quickly to an explosive gun/high powered weapon.

I know it's easier said than done, but if you're playing solo your strategy needs to prioritize your own survival. If you die while playing alone any boss you've encountered will regain all of their health and shielding. Again, grind a bit to 15 or 16 and see if you can't make a bigger dent in the armor.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By Mnemoidian

Corrosive is pretty terrible against shields, while Lightning damage pretty much shorts the shields immediately. So... it sounds like you are doing it backwards. Snipe the eye, then swap to the SMG.

And as far as I can remember; the W4R D3N is a constructor? So... yeah, it pretty much creates additional enemies infinitely.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

Shotguns are quite useful on that fight. You will have to run in and out to avoid his pound attack but it drops him pretty quickly. Just did it on Zer0 today using that strategy, in fact.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By HH

i retreated and bought myself some electicity grenades and a better electricity sniper rifle, then approached him from his right side, where there's decent cover, threw all my grenades at him, and unloaded clips into his eye till he was dead, trying to stay behind cover from the minion's fire. i was lvl 15 i think, a siren. it was the first time i had to rethink / plan something in the game, so i was glad of it.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

Done.

Change of strategy did the trick. Mostly just picking sniping locations that fell on the very edge of the robits aggro range so to minimize the amount of distraction they provide.

Balance on this is wacky though, I will still maintain. That is a random difficulty spike for this area of the game. Particularly due to the 1-way fast travel point nearby = major backtrack if you happen to arrive at this boss with ineffective weaponry.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I didnt manage to kill him by myself, not even close. But it was fun that you actually get to see a different area if you dont manage to scrap him the first time. The second fight was long but successfull in the end.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigdaddy81

That fight was pretty intense. I was rocking a Commando, had a corrosive rocket launcher, and had a legendary electrical grenade. Even with all that I still had one hell of a battle. They definitely did a better job with bosses this time around.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hangedtoaster

I failed the first time trying to take him down, just couldn't bust through his shields. He took off to the Friendship Gulag and I was able to easily mop him up there with no issues whatsoever. I thought it was just scripted that way. Didn't even realize that you could take him down on the dam

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mosespippy

My first time trying it I happened to be in a 4 player party and we got tore up pretty bad so it's not a solo problem. We wiped once and on the second try he went to the Friendship Gulag. We even wiped on the badasses that spawned in after he left. My second time through I was in another 4 player party and we took him down in about 40 seconds.

knitlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By knitlife

I had similar difficulty defeating this one solo as a level 15 gunzerker, it was the first time I had to consider something besides a guns blazing strategy. I eventually hid behind a crate and did jumping and shooting. Vv tedious, but got it done. It should be much easier co-op (which is totally worth $4/month with this game IMO)

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By _Zombie_

Seems that the common problem players have with him is Zer0.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By mosdl

I pretty much kept a lightning sniper/shotgun just for the constructors around, especially since Siren's skill doesn't do much damage to them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By GunstarRed

Yeah, it was the first point I felt like I was getting killed unfairly (playing as zero) I finally got him by spamming my decoy whilst standing behind a pillar shooting him with a powerful shotgun.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

hah just wait until you fight the next constructor....I lost at least $20,000 because I went in with no electric weapons (the game just sorta happened to me) and his fucking rocket attacks devastated me.

BTW W4R D3N was hard to beat even with 2 players, so it's not just a solo problem.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I died once on W4R D3N, using Maya. I ran up, immediately got pummelled by stuff. Second time, I used phase lock to knock it's shields out then dumped a corrosive SMG into it.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By churrific

Lol maybe I got lucky? Beat it on the first try solo. I had an explosive pistol on me that I used on it. I just ran right up to its face and mashed my shoot button. I think it was able to spawn its minions one time, but I just ignored them and kept on mashing the shoot button. All crit shots, and it died without a problem.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

I don't even remember the Warden encounter as anything significant during my playthrough. Just pummeled into him and rolled over is memory serves.

Now stuff like Dukino's mom, Super Badass Constructors, and later on some enemies on playthrough 2 , that shit can get vicious.

Law313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Law313

@HerbieBug said:

So. This thing. It doesn't seem balanced to me. I'm level 14 Zer0. I have an okay corrosive SMG for that level and an alright electricity sniper rifle. Run up, unload three clips worth of the SMG into it's eye, barely take down the shield, get in trouble, run for cover to deal with the respawning minions (infinite spawns?). By the time I've cleared a path back to him, the goddamn shield is fully charged again.

What the hell?

And no, I'm not paying for xbl gold just to beat a boss. D:

edit--- got him, see post below.

I through a shit ton of grenades and he fell instantly. I had the orange colored one that drops multiple "baby" bombs. That grenade mod is just too sick. Not many enemies I can remember will get up and walk away after that- including that homocidal motherfucking robot.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Dagbiker

The first time I tryed to fight him solo I lost like 3 times. then gave up. I regrouped and got some corrosive guns. Got some badassness, and kicked his ass, solo. But I agree, that fight was pretty hard compared to the guys even just down the hall.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Garfield518

I'm surprised people had trouble with his guy, or any boss in BL2, especially as Zero.

Just stealth in, go up to his eye, and unload.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker

@Snail: Yah, to play any game online you have to pay for a gold membership. Yes there is a silver membership, but thats just a non gold member, there is only silver and gold. I agree, paying for online is kind of dumb, but people still do, thats why people get so mad about Xbox having so many ads.

One thing Xbox has that I like over PSN is usability. It is much easer to use Xbox then it is to use the playstation menu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.