Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Franchise »

The first-person shooter / RPG franchise from Gearbox Software and 2K games.

In what order should i play this ?

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VioleGrace

Greeting everyone :)

I played some of borderlands 2 , but stopped a little after because of my work , and now after the pre sequel came out , i really want to get into this franchise .

I never played Borderlands 1 either , but i am not really planning to as people told me that the second one did everything that the first couldn't do and better .

So in which order should i play borderlands 2 ( + the dlcs ) and the pre sequel ? i am guessing that i should play the pre sequel first since it takes place before the second one ?

Sorry if this was answered before and thanks ^^

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip the first one, play the second one, don't believe the hype.

The Tiny Tina DLC is really cool and funny, the rest of the DLCs seem a bit uninspired. If you're anything like me, then 40+ hours of Borderlands 2 are going to be enough and you will have no desire to play the PreSequel Australia thing.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

Just play Borderlands 2, or maybe the new one.

TheQuestyen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should play them in the order they were released. Even though the Pre-Sequel shows a story that takes place between the two games it hinges on your knowledge of the second game.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Play the first Borderlands, and then the DLC - some of that is really great.

Then play the main part of Borderlands 2 and if you're anything like me you'll be TOTALLY FUCKING DONE with anything related to Borderlands at that point.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VioleGrace

Thanks everyone :) , i guess i will play Borderlands 2 first since i already own it , and if i still feel like it i will play the pre-sequel .

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Thanks everyone :) , i guess i will play Borderlands 2 first since i already own it , and if i still feel like it i will play the pre-sequel .

You wouldn't guess it, but the pre-sequel actually spoils the plot of Borderlands 2, because it assumes players have finished that game. So yes, play them in order of their release. I wouldn't bother much with the first game. It was good, but it's hard to go back after playing the sequel. Perhaps just you tube the cut-scenes, and then continue playing Borderlands 2.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands 1 is still the best unless you think grinding for legendary gear is super fun.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@spaceinsomniac: In what way does pre-sequel spoil the plot of BL2? That doesn't make any sense to me

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first one way more. Never got any weapons I actually enjoyed using in BL2. My suggestion would be to play the first one, but I seem to be outnumbered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: Things that happen in the Borderlands 2, important plot sensitive things (The state of certain characters and the world) are explicitly stated less than a minute into Pre-Sequel. If you care about the story, there's a straight up spoiler that's like "This important thing happened in Bordelands 2 and we are going to tell you RIGHT NOW!"

The games story is narrated by a character from the Pre-Sequel game, but they are telling the story after the events of Borderlands 2 and the DLC. They make you well aware of this, with other characters chiming in from time to time and commenting on what the pre-sequel characters were doing and how it influences certain events in Borderlands 2. Borderlands 2 is not the biggest story game, the story might even be inconsequential to some people, but if you think it matters; There are spoilers in there.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sinusoidal

Borderlands had a story?

I hated the loot system in 2. Putting legendary drops only on bosses was a terrible idea. The grind in 1 was fun because you could run around killing stuff and checking chests. In 2 you end up just beating the same bosses over and over and over if you want any legendaries.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

I preferred the settings or stages in B2 over B1, but I liked the characters of B1 more. Lillith is definitely better than Maya as far as the Siren class goes. Mechanically, I found them both to be very similar. I never used the eridium-based weapons in B2. Acid and Fire are the way you always want to go. I haven't played the 3rd game yet. I'll get it when it's on sale (PC) this holiday.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Play the first Borderlands, and then the DLC - some of that is really great.

Then play the main part of Borderlands 2 and if you're anything like me you'll be TOTALLY FUCKING DONE with anything related to Borderlands at that point.

Borderlands 1 is still the best unless you think grinding for legendary gear is super fun.

These guys know whats up. Borderlands 1 is a better game, even if it has no plot. The level design, skill trees and loot systems were better and that makes for a more fun game.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll second that if you care about the loot grind, go for Borderlands 1. If you just want a game with a story that you can run through and enjoy then go for Borderlands 2.

VioleGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VioleGrace

@sinusoidal: @spaceinsomniac:

Borderlands had a story?

I hated the loot system in 2. Putting legendary drops only on bosses was a terrible idea. The grind in 1 was fun because you could run around killing stuff and checking chests. In 2 you end up just beating the same bosses over and over and over if you want any legendaries.

@violegrace said:

You wouldn't guess it, but the pre-sequel actually spoils the plot of Borderlands 2, because it assumes players have finished that game. So yes, play them in order of their release. I wouldn't bother much with the first game. It was good, but it's hard to go back after playing the sequel. Perhaps just you tube the cut-scenes, and then continue playing Borderlands 2.

Umm i might consider getting the first one if i really liked the second and the third one , Maybe after finishing them i will have that thrill for more =D ty

Borderlands had a story?

From the way you say it , i think i will like the second one way more than the first then , because i hate grinding normal enemies , but i might like grinding bosses for loot , and it seems more logical for bosses to possess higher-tier gear anyway :)

I'll second that if you care about the loot grind, go for Borderlands 1. If you just want a game with a story that you can run through and enjoy then go for Borderlands 2.

I really liked that Dlc character in BL2 named Gaige , for the fact that she's focused in lightning damage , i love everything that has anything to do with lightning :3 , she can also summon a robot which can tank for her , it's really perfect , + some of the skins out there makes her so cute :P .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.