Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

End Boss Visits Lands of the Border Variety.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By End_Boss

Don't Worry, Bro; No Spoilers Here.

I just finished playing the first hour or so of Gearbox’s RPG-shooter, Borderlands, and I’m left with mixed feelings. On the one hand, Borderlands brings its Diablo-esque “loot everything” appeal home nicely, as I began to get that familiar giddiness every time I opened a chest, be it big or small. On the other hand, the PS3 version has some significant technical issues that kept me from fully enjoying the game. Among these were some pretty alarming frame rate drops (more severe online, but also present offline), texture pop-ins and disturbingly long load times between zones.
    No Caption Provided

As for the content itself, it has the kind of charm you’d expect from the game’s art-style; though it’s gritty and at times gory, it never takes itself too seriously, and that’s definitely to its benefit. The quest line I played through was a fairly simple “fetch this, kill these and assemble this so you can fight a boss” affair, and in the context of an MMO-esque game, that usually wouldn't bode well; however, Borderlands is also a shooter, and let’s face it, if the RPG elements were entirely absent from it, you’d still be shooting shit, so the “kill this many of so-and-so enemy” quest style never really detracted from the experience.

Aside from the issues mentioned above, Borderlands is a mechanically sound game. The guns feel pretty good, and enemies (despite their “attack until you can’t attack no mo’” AI) pose a pretty healthy challenge.

Borderlands really is the Diablo of the firearms world, and if it can overcome its technical issues, I think it will find a healthy user base, particularly among those who played the Diablo series; if you liked (or loved) those games, you’ll definitely be down for what Gearbox’s newest title has to offer. I know I am.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Don't Worry, Bro; No Spoilers Here.

I just finished playing the first hour or so of Gearbox’s RPG-shooter, Borderlands, and I’m left with mixed feelings. On the one hand, Borderlands brings its Diablo-esque “loot everything” appeal home nicely, as I began to get that familiar giddiness every time I opened a chest, be it big or small. On the other hand, the PS3 version has some significant technical issues that kept me from fully enjoying the game. Among these were some pretty alarming frame rate drops (more severe online, but also present offline), texture pop-ins and disturbingly long load times between zones.
    No Caption Provided

As for the content itself, it has the kind of charm you’d expect from the game’s art-style; though it’s gritty and at times gory, it never takes itself too seriously, and that’s definitely to its benefit. The quest line I played through was a fairly simple “fetch this, kill these and assemble this so you can fight a boss” affair, and in the context of an MMO-esque game, that usually wouldn't bode well; however, Borderlands is also a shooter, and let’s face it, if the RPG elements were entirely absent from it, you’d still be shooting shit, so the “kill this many of so-and-so enemy” quest style never really detracted from the experience.

Aside from the issues mentioned above, Borderlands is a mechanically sound game. The guns feel pretty good, and enemies (despite their “attack until you can’t attack no mo’” AI) pose a pretty healthy challenge.

Borderlands really is the Diablo of the firearms world, and if it can overcome its technical issues, I think it will find a healthy user base, particularly among those who played the Diablo series; if you liked (or loved) those games, you’ll definitely be down for what Gearbox’s newest title has to offer. I know I am.

Thanks for reading,
    End Boss.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Could the technical issues be because you got the game through not-so-legit means.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Johnny5

You bring up a pretty interesting point of rewarding a player for something they'd like to do even if they werent. Maybe MMOs should take a similar route.

I wonder if the 360 has the same issues.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By End_Boss
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: No, the copy of Borderlands I'm playing is legit. I manage the games section at my local video store and we were sent our copies today.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demyx

I want to get the PC version, but I'm pretty paranoid that I might not be able to play it. Sucks that this version isn't so good. It was my second choice.

MrMuise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrMuise

I believe selling a copy of a game before its release date can result in a heavy fine, if you did not sell yourself the copy of the game then it would be stealing. YOUR COPY IS NOT LEGIT I'M CALLING THE COPS ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@End_Boss: Oh I thought you said you got it through torrent or something....

Hmm, makes me wonder if that's just the PS3 version with issues or if the all versions might have some... =/
    hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By hpv

I was told that the PS3 version wasn't as good as the 360's (which felt really smooth at PAX), but how bad is it in real world terms?  Are there any games that you can compare the framerate to?  Did you play any Saints Row 2 online that you could give us an over/under on?  Because that framerate was kind of shit but the game was still playable and a ton of fun.

And how big is the install?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I read somewhere that the 360 version has a better frame rate, but the PS3 version has better color.  I've also read that the game becomes a lot more enjoyable after you're several hours into it.  The AI should get a bit better as well, when you're fighting specially trained soldiers, rather than desert creatures and wasteland bandits.  Congrats on getting the game early, btw. 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

....how come you didn't tell me you were playing borderlands, Fucktoad.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

Gah, it pisses me off when people get games before they're officially released.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Damian

Were the offline framerate drops comparable to the ones on the Quick Look?

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming
    @natetodamax said:
    " Gah, it pisses me off when people get games before they're officially released. "
    Same here, but that's just my jealous side talking. :P
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422
    @natetodamax said:
    " Gah, it pisses me off when people get games before they're officially released. "
    Yeah, someone getting the game like, 3 days ahead of time is a real huge deal......
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By End_Boss
    @Damian said:
    " Were the offline framerate drops comparable to the ones on the Quick Look? "
    Yes, I would say the offline drops were comparable to those of the Quick Look, though perhaps slightly more severe. To everyone questioning the legality of my being in possession of a copy of Borderlands: there is nothing illegal about it. As the head of the games section at my store, I'm expected to know about every major title so that I can inform my customers. Thus I am allowed to "rent" a copy a few days prior to release to take it for a test drive. 

@Sweep: I'm sorry, pumpkin.
    cyrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By cyrax
    @End_Boss said:

To everyone questioning the legality of my being in possession of a copy of Borderlands: there is nothing illegal about it. As the head of the games section at my store, I'm expected to know about every major title so that I can inform my customers. Thus I am allowed to "rent" a copy a few days prior to release to take it for a test drive.  

Jealousy is a powerful emotion.
    They've been working on the game for a while and Randy even said they were done around a month ago. Confusing why what seems to be 20fps drop wasn't dealt with. The team always acted proud of their product in videos. Not sure I could do the same.
    Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Xandurson

That's awesome that you got the game early! I would buy it but I want to hold on to my money right now because I'm a poor college student.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

How's the story?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Out_On_Bail

@End_Boss
    said:
    As the head of the games section at my store, I'm expected to know about every major title so that I can inform my customers. Thus I am allowed to "rent" a copy a few days prior to release to take it for a test drive.   
    Lol, that sad excuse may of worked on your boss but you aren't fooling us!  We know you just wanted to play games as soon as possible! I can't blame ya, either.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By End_Boss
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    "  
    @End_Boss
    said:
    As the head of the games section at my store, I'm expected to know about every major title so that I can inform my customers. Thus I am allowed to "rent" a copy a few days prior to release to take it for a test drive.   
    Lol, that sad excuse may of worked on your boss but you aren't fooling us!  We know you just wanted to play games as soon as possible! I can't blame ya, either. "
    Quiet, you.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bubahula
    @Delta_Ass said:
    "How's the story? "

thats what i wanna know. they havent shown much of that
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By End_Boss
    @Bubahula said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    "How's the story? "
    thats what i wanna know. they havent shown much of that "
    The story's presented in two ways, one of which might be considered a spoiler, so I won't say too much about that. The other, which is your standard "find out about the world through quest flavor text" is not bad. As I've said, I'm not too far in yet, so I assume the plot will get meatier.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

Awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.