Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Finished Borderlands: "Time to pound some meat puppets!"

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By AssInAss

Pretty much bought this game over the weekend and finished it (35 hours!) in catch-up to the sequel. Played it completely solo, just for kicks and it's totally playable. Did Mordecai, and being a sniper (I hardly play one in other games) with the Bloodwing was great fun. A lot of it is basically what RAGE should've been.

I liked it, it's an awesome foundation, but I have quite a bit of nitpicks. I really liked the shooting, headshots feel great, dismemberment in any FPS gets bonus points. It definitely has that "one more quest" feeling, I just want to complete quests just because of the UI presentation with the sound effects and parade, very satisfying. Definitely getting into loot games now (Too Human was my first proper one, believe it or not). I'll start with the negatives, and then leave on a good note.

How do people hate on Far Cry 2 for the respawning guard posts, and not this game?! You could be even in the same area like Old Haven, and as day/night cycle changes or if you're near a save-point enemies just keep on respawning. I guess that's a part of a way of farming in loot games?

The fast travel system needs to be singled out for how awful it was paced. Took me maybe 10 hours when I'm at New Haven?! Especially for such a barren world where there's not much visually interesting, and not enough cool random moments like AI vs AI (Bandits vs Skags/Scythid/Spiderants, Lance vs Bandits, Lance vs Guardians), it felt really tedious with the back-tracking. I guess not every game can be STALKER.

I didn't appreciate every female being referred to a "bitch", especially after the FilmCritHulk article on Catwoman still on my mind.

Yes, the ending is pretty bad, it was getting interesting with the Guardians and the Crimson Lance (now I felt bad for the bandits), and then it's a tedious end boss battle. Everything after Salt Flats where you're stuck on this linear course because there are no other missions in the other towns was just a downhill course. What's worse about the ending is NO ONE FUCKING ACKNOWLEDGES IT HAPPENED! I hate this in some RPGs where the world just isn't reactive to your progress. Maybe the DLCs do this.

Now some significant PC problems. It's not a good port, I hate not being able to mouse scroll through a lot of stuff, especially graphics options. Music would be mute during the splash screens when the game booted up. I was getting framerate drops whenever the day/night cycle changed, maybe just my laptop. I was constantly getting stuck on geometry, was I the only one?! I'd get stuck if I was sprinting and went into menus, came out and was glued to the floor.

And I now fucking hate cutscenes on PC games as really low-res videos, it just screams CHEAP PORT.

It's severely underwritten! There were like 8 writers in the credits, including Randy Pitchford. I want more dialogue, most of the characters mumble a bit, the rest is just written as descriptions as if we're a 90s RPG. TK Baha's fate was a shock to the system, really gave that bleak post-apocalyptic western feeling. I love the enemy chatter ("Time to pound some meat puppets!") and how they threaten you if you're just far enough, telling you to back away.

It's just that one layer of AI that makes it feel more alive.

The only character we got fully voiced is Claptrap, and that's great but I want more. I really like all the characters, Crazy Earl is my fave and with his ridiculously cute pet!

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AssInAss

Pretty much bought this game over the weekend and finished it (35 hours!) in catch-up to the sequel. Played it completely solo, just for kicks and it's totally playable. Did Mordecai, and being a sniper (I hardly play one in other games) with the Bloodwing was great fun. A lot of it is basically what RAGE should've been.

I liked it, it's an awesome foundation, but I have quite a bit of nitpicks. I really liked the shooting, headshots feel great, dismemberment in any FPS gets bonus points. It definitely has that "one more quest" feeling, I just want to complete quests just because of the UI presentation with the sound effects and parade, very satisfying. Definitely getting into loot games now (Too Human was my first proper one, believe it or not). I'll start with the negatives, and then leave on a good note.

How do people hate on Far Cry 2 for the respawning guard posts, and not this game?! You could be even in the same area like Old Haven, and as day/night cycle changes or if you're near a save-point enemies just keep on respawning. I guess that's a part of a way of farming in loot games?

The fast travel system needs to be singled out for how awful it was paced. Took me maybe 10 hours when I'm at New Haven?! Especially for such a barren world where there's not much visually interesting, and not enough cool random moments like AI vs AI (Bandits vs Skags/Scythid/Spiderants, Lance vs Bandits, Lance vs Guardians), it felt really tedious with the back-tracking. I guess not every game can be STALKER.

I didn't appreciate every female being referred to a "bitch", especially after the FilmCritHulk article on Catwoman still on my mind.

Yes, the ending is pretty bad, it was getting interesting with the Guardians and the Crimson Lance (now I felt bad for the bandits), and then it's a tedious end boss battle. Everything after Salt Flats where you're stuck on this linear course because there are no other missions in the other towns was just a downhill course. What's worse about the ending is NO ONE FUCKING ACKNOWLEDGES IT HAPPENED! I hate this in some RPGs where the world just isn't reactive to your progress. Maybe the DLCs do this.

Now some significant PC problems. It's not a good port, I hate not being able to mouse scroll through a lot of stuff, especially graphics options. Music would be mute during the splash screens when the game booted up. I was getting framerate drops whenever the day/night cycle changed, maybe just my laptop. I was constantly getting stuck on geometry, was I the only one?! I'd get stuck if I was sprinting and went into menus, came out and was glued to the floor.

And I now fucking hate cutscenes on PC games as really low-res videos, it just screams CHEAP PORT.

It's severely underwritten! There were like 8 writers in the credits, including Randy Pitchford. I want more dialogue, most of the characters mumble a bit, the rest is just written as descriptions as if we're a 90s RPG. TK Baha's fate was a shock to the system, really gave that bleak post-apocalyptic western feeling. I love the enemy chatter ("Time to pound some meat puppets!") and how they threaten you if you're just far enough, telling you to back away.

It's just that one layer of AI that makes it feel more alive.

The only character we got fully voiced is Claptrap, and that's great but I want more. I really like all the characters, Crazy Earl is my fave and with his ridiculously cute pet!

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By topsteer

Apparently I'm one of the few people that didn't have any problems with the PC port. I thought it was a great version and had no issues at all. My guess on the whole Far Cry 2 guards respawning thing is you get nothing for killing them in Far Cry, while in Borderlands you get xp and a chance of loot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

@TopSteer said:

Apparently I'm one of the few people that didn't have any problems with the PC port. I thought it was a great version and had no issues at all. My guess on the whole Far Cry 2 guards respawning thing is you get nothing for killing them in Far Cry, while in Borderlands you get xp and a chance of loot.

I've played the port a whole lot and I also think it's a pretty good port. It doesn't crash or anything like that. It does have some odd slowdown spots (particularly one at the beginning of the level where you're going to kill Sledge) but it's not bad and the console versions slow down at the same spot. Yeah, it could be better, but it's nowhere near "bad".

Yes, the menus are horrid with a mouse and keyboard, but they're not much better with a controller either.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AssInAss

@TopSteer said:

I totally get why they do the respawning feature in loot RPGs for people who want to grind. But the way it's done in Borderlands 1 is you can be in the same area and they respawn, which feels more like a bug/glitch than a design decision.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.