Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Losing Interest

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MAST

Anyone else having a hard time sticking with Borderlands?

For the record, I played World of Warcraft for 3 years or so, and the entire reason I quit playing that game is because I came to the realization that the gameplay and questing is never going to change. It's always going to be "Go here and kill 10 of these" or "Take a note to this guy that's waaay over there" or "Gather 15 of these." I got so sick of that type of gameplay. I quit WoW, and haven't touched it in almost 2 years.
       So now, that type of gameplay seems to be cropping up in single-player games (most recently in Borderlands and Magnacarta 2), and I could just care less about it. It comes across as lazy to me, for one, incredibly stale, and boring. I feel like I'm doing chores for someone, not playing a fun video game. Not to mention the fact that you are basically playing an MMO without any of the benefits. In addition, there are plenty of Free-to-Play MMO's out there with basically the same type of gameplay. If I wanted that, I could go play one of those without having to pay a penny.
       I guess I just find it a bit disconcerting that this kind of thing is finding it's way into single-player games. I don't think developers would be doing that if they didn't think people wanted it. So for some reason people seem to desire this type of repetitive, single-player content, and it worries me that it's going to become the norm in console games.

The other problem I have with Borderlands is that loot centric games, to me, are all about finding cool stuff, making your guy look badass, and then being able to show that off to other people. Which you can't really do at all in Borderlands. Your look never changes. A level one guy will look the same as a level 50 guy. All you can really show off is your gun, which just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

So, does anyone else feeling that way about Borderlands? I guess if you've never played an MMO, or have never played one for any real length of time (like Jeff), then the type of gameplay found in Borderlands isn't going to be stale to you yet. It might even be brand new to you. So I can see why some might enjoy it, but damn... I'm still sick of it. I just haven't been away from WoW long enough to find that type of gameplay enjoyable again.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Symphony

You raise a good point about the nature of quests and quest-based games. Though to be fair Borderlands is as much a multiplayer game as it is single-player. Most would argue it's far more enjoyable to play in a group. But then again that doesn't address the issue of the monotony of a standard quest-system.

WoW did try to address this issue in Wrath of the Lich king offering many different types of repeatable quests (bombing runs, shooting down dragons with turrets, arena matches, etc), but no matter how many different types of quests are available after doing them a few times all of them become a repetitive grind. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose.

I can totally see your point, but Borderlands doesn't strike me as the sort of game intended to hook you for months on end... more like play through it once or twice and that's it, till DLC comes out, like Fallout 3. I imagine nearly everyone will get sick of the "collect 15 of these" repetitive quests at some point, it's just a matter of peoples personal thresholds for such monotony. Like you said, people not familiar with the MMO grind would probably have a higher tolerance for it, while people who grew sick and tired of the system in MMOs might groan and say "Ugg not MORE gathering quests"

I haven't got to play it yet as my 360 is still in for repairs ; ; I'm looking forward to it, but I definitely plan on playing with friends because I think I'd feel similar to how you do if I were to pretty much be playing an MMO by myself.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pause422
    @Symphony said:
    " You raise a good point about the nature of quests and quest-based games. Though to be fair Borderlands is as much a multiplayer game as it is single-player. Most would argue it's far more enjoyable to play in a group. But then again that doesn't address the issue of the monotony of a standard quest-system.  WoW did try to address this issue in Wrath of the Lich king offering many different types of repeatable quests (bombing runs, shooting down dragons with turrets, arena matches, etc), but no matter how many different types of quests are available after doing them a few times all of them become a repetitive grind. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose.  I can totally see your point, but Borderlands doesn't strike me as the sort of game intended to hook you for months on end... more like play through it once or twice and that's it, till DLC comes out, like Fallout 3. I imagine nearly everyone will get sick of the "collect 15 of these" repetitive quests at some point, it's just a matter of peoples personal thresholds for such monotony. Like you said, people not familiar with the MMO grind would probably have a higher tolerance for it, while people who grew sick and tired of the system in MMOs might groan and say "Ugg not MORE gathering quests"  I haven't got to play it yet as my 360 is still in for repairs ; ; I'm looking forward to it, but I definitely plan on playing with friends because I think I'd feel similar to how you do if I were to pretty much be playing an MMO by myself. "
    Yeah, exactly. Borderlands, even though it has similarities, isnt going for an MMO like hook. You beat it once or twice to get a character to level 50, and maybe then make an alt if you feel like it...while playing with friends, and thats what its about. Also, its about the gameplay, not the story, or the way you accept quests. The gameplay is real fun, and the loot is addictive..thats what counts with a game like that.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I didn't think borderlands was repetitive at all. I mean, there are always going to be quests where you go out and kill bandits, but it never felt like I was doing the exact same thing twice. I never once saw a quest saying "Kill 15 bandits" or "Collect 10 items" and felt like I had to work up the motivation to do it. My thoughts were always "Hell yes! More dudes to shoot in the face!" They take this "stale gameplay" and make it incredibly fun.

But that's just me.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kingkorn69

If you got tired of WoW then why did you buy borderlands! It was always going to be quest base.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

In the end, it beats wandering around a certain section of a forest waiting for random encounters in order to level up (DQ anyone?).  I actually preferred some of the fetch-quests/kill-quests that WoW had to offer because they required no thought.  WoW really is a different beast than Borderlands even though they share some similarities.  My goal in Warcraft was to hit 70 or 80 and then begin raiding and doing heroics.  There's no endgame to Borderlands, so I'm still trying to figure out my goal.  Right now, it's just to get through it once.  This isn't the type of game where I am feeling pressured to max out as fast as possible.  I am enjoying the exploration and treasure hunting.  Is it a perfect game?  Assuredly not, but I is satisfying my "loot-whoring" desires. 

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bane

In my mind, the quests are there just to give you a destination on the compass.  Why you're going there is inconsequential.  The real point is what you're doing on your way to that destination: shooting things in the face and collecting phat lewt.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

But it's like an MMO without all the things I hate about MMOs! Namely the Massively. 
    Also I find clicking on things and letting everything play out boring. The reason I've never liked MMORPGs is that they are all just number games. You can say there is skilled involved, but really it all comes down to who is better equipped and who knows more about their own skills and their enemies weaknesses. That's what makes quests like those a chore, to me at least. 

Ok, yes, FPS are basically clicking on things as well. Well, on the PC at least. At the very least Borderlands is an MMO on fastforward. You click an enemy and a spell casts in half a second. I still find that much more involved.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAST
    @pause422 said:
    "Yeah, exactly. Borderlands, even though it has similarities, isnt going for an MMO like hook."
    That is untrue, they absolutely are going for the "MMO hook." That's why this game has basically everything an MMO offers, except for the "Massive" part. Jeff even said as much on the bombcast, and other websites have said the same thing in their reviews. This game has gone so far down the MMO tunnel, it's basically all the way there. It's only missing a few things (trading system, chat system, and a couple thousand players, etc).

Really, the only thing I was trying to get at, is that I'm just done with that type of gameplay. The repetitive questing. This game feels exactly like playing through WoW on my own.

@kingkorn69 said:
    " If you got tired of WoW then why did you buy borderlands! It was always going to be quest base. "
    I didn't buy it. I got it through Gamefly, and it's going back tomorrow probably. It was sent to me before I read the reviews, and found out that it's entirely made up of "Go here and kill 15 of these" type quests. I read about the game a little bit in the months leading up to its release, but I don't ever recall them talking about it having quests like that. They made it sound way more involved. Which is typical marketing spin I guess. I should have known better.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @MAST: Hey, if you're dead set on not liking it, you're not going to like it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

Personally, Borderlands isn't tiring yet.  I've been through all the Arid Badlands stuff quite a few times already, and I still enjoy it every time.  It's definitely a game that gets more mileage from it when you're partied up with some friends.  It also helps if you have no problem just being in that world and goofing off.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By torus

I completely agree, and though I'm still having fun with Borderlands, I really wish there were more types of enemies. So far I've only run into Scags, harder scags, raiders, tiny raiders, malformed raiders, harder raiders, and a huge raider. Oh, and some birds. Variety is really lacking.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By nanikore
    @Symphony said:
    " WoW did try to address this issue in Wrath of the Lich king offering many different types of repeatable quests (bombing runs, shooting down dragons with turrets, arena matches, etc), but no matter how many different types of quests are available after doing them a few times all of them become a repetitive grind. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose. "
    I actually loved the questing in Wrath of the Lich King (shoot me). There's something with WoW that has something really awesome that I can't put my finger on. It's scary. :(
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138

Nope me and my 3 other buddies from college have played it all the way through and aren't tired of it at all .

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @nanikore said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " WoW did try to address this issue in Wrath of the Lich king offering many different types of repeatable quests (bombing runs, shooting down dragons with turrets, arena matches, etc), but no matter how many different types of quests are available after doing them a few times all of them become a repetitive grind. That's the nature of the beast, I suppose. "
    I actually loved the questing in Wrath of the Lich King (shoot me). There's something with WoW that has something really awesome that I can't put my finger on. It's scary. :( "
    Its the simplicity of the game . Simple means good . Good means addicting . Addiction = money
    CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CandleJakk

26 Hours of gameplay since Friday, around a full time uni course, and I'm not tired of it yet, in fact I've just started playthrough 2.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Rhaknar

im on my second playthrough, level 45 (or 46...dont remember) and all i want is to play more. I never...or VERY RARELY replay games after i finish them, and i jumped right into playthrough 2 as soon as i finished the first. ill hit the cap for sure (probably tomorow) and finish playthrough2 for sure... what happens next? i dont know, ill probably move on to something else, i doubt ill start a new character (actually I have a lvl 7 soldier).

that said, i WILL buy the dlc for sure, and any dlc they pump out, something I didnt do with fallout 3 for example, even tho i liked and finished the game. Borderlands blew me away and is by far my GOTY (not the best game, just my favorite)

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well, here's the thing. 

When my friends didn't get off work yet etc and i got some time to myself for borderlands. I can find it a tad boring since its just me out there. But then when the rest of my friends log on all those stupid grindy quest seem so much more fun.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I sort of agree with you. I have been playing for about a week or so, and i have found it quite repetitive in a sense, and have sort of lost interest. It almost is like a chore to get from point A to B. Even on line play, i found  quite boring. It may be because i have yet to find a decent enough gun (the Orange ones or whatnot) I'm stuck with the Purple ones which i can only seem to find.

I'll continue playing though just to see it to the end.

Kraylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kraylor

The quests are really just a narrative device. Swap out the plot quests (and maybe some of the RPG elements)  for a linear story, and it's still an awesome shooter with a really fun tone.

Complaining about the quests being grinds is really missing the point of the game.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NinjaHunter

After completing the game with the Hunter I'm playing through the game with my Siren and I'm starting to lose interest after getting to lvl 31 with her. I don't think it's same reason as yours though. The thought of bringing my Hunter to lvl 50 is always on the back of my mind as well as getting the trophies for using the other two characters action skills. For the most part I just need new things to do because I keep asking myself what's the point of playing through the game again with a new character.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolswor
    Uhh...you complain that you find killing things monotonous?  Every single game has you kill a set number of enemies, just because it doesn't say "kill 20 bandits" doesn't mean it is some unique experience.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By DrRandle

Nope. I love the hell out of Borderlands. Just beat it last night with the boyfriend and we're gearing up for New Game +. Shooting dudes with awesome weapons is just awesome.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Alphawolfy

I may be wrong because I don't have Borderlands, but from what I've seen the most fun you can have is from playing with friends. That's what stopped me from buying it, because not many of my friends can play games that often. I played WoW for almost a year I think, and I sort of just got bored of it (although bad connection contributed too), and quit. 

So I guess if you're playing mostly single-player and don't find the gameplay or the looting addicting or fun, then you won't enjoy the game much. From what I've heard, the story is "paper-thin", so I guess there isn't much motivation to doing quests except for leveling up and getting loot. Personally I'll wait for Dragon Age: Origins :P.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jmrwacko
    @MAST: I also feel that Borderlands took some lazy turns with the direction of the quests in this game. It's like they almost tried to copy the WoW formula by coming up with overly simple collection or npc killing quests, which is weird because they easily could have put more effort into the quests instead of recycling content. This ain't an mmo, it's a fully featured retail singleplayer-coop shooter. So I shouldn't have to mine for crystals four times with one character.
    Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Von

I don't mind the quests, I just want MORE of them. I'm looking very forward to the DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.