Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Should I buy or should I go?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Azteck

Hey fellow bombers, I've got a question for you since I'm kind of on the fence on this one. 

Recently, I found Borderlands for around 249 SEK (~34USD / 26€) in a local store, brand new copy. My issue though is that none of my friends play this as far as I know, and I would therefore be playing it on my own (assuming I can't convince a friend to buy it too).  

Would I get my moneys worth with it? I've been interested in it for quite a while, but wasn't ready to put down $60 for it when it was new. But now that it's gone down quite a bit, it's looking more attractive to me, so to speak.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

I bought it for that price and I've mostly played it alone, it's still worth it

250 SEK på MediaMarkt för typ ett halvår sen

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Azteck
    @Venatio:
    Do you know if it's still going for that price at MediaMarkt? I was looking at Webhallen but buying it at MediaMarkt would mean not having to take an annoyingly long route home from work to get it.
    Mocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Mocha

You should definitely buy this. I don't think the game got enough recognition. It was my favorite game last year. It's definitely more fun playing co-op, though. I played through the whole game with my wife.

CodeMcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By CodeMcK

Borderlands will ruin friendships if you play with the wrong people, so much looting. Single player was still good for me, but I was never really motivated to buy the expansions. I would recommend it though

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

Buy it. I played multiple playthroughs by myself and it was still a blast. It is just a plain fun game.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Mocha said:
    "  I played through the whole game with my wife. "
    that sounds so.. good .. 

though im never getting married, i wish i could have a significant other who i can beat a fucking co-op game with. 

no really, that sounded fucking awesome.
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By sarge1445

I thought it was boring and overrated and you should spend that money on something else and the only time I enjoyed it was with other people.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By gingertastic_10

It's totally worth it. Get it.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dillonwerner

Buy

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

@Azteck: It is highly addictive, even by yourself so it's definitely a must buy. If you can, find a couple of friends and make them buy it, since it is way more frantic with others. If I were you I would wait for the GOTY that is coming out soon because most of the DLC is of a very high quality and worth the wait.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By gla55jAw

Get it. I played with friends a decent amount but put way more in alone. It's awesome.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Get it, it's so worth the full 60, so for 26 it's a steal!

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By WickedCobra03

I don't know if I would have blew $60 on it either.  There are actually very few games that I would really say have been worth $60 to me.  But for that $34 bucks.  That is a good deal.  I have been playing through my Steam version that I got for $10.49 about a month ago and have been really enjoying myself.  

Just make sure you are into the whole "looting" thing.  That is a huge part of this game, and I can imagine that if you are not a huge fan of that, or just don't care much, this game might not be as fun.  But personally, it is funny, full of personality and generally just an interesting and different experience.  I am really happy they decide to go for the cartoon-ish look, gives the game some extra distinction and allows it to be more fantasy based and less reality oriented or worried about explaining how things happened because it is almost assumed that this is a cartoon so anything is possible mentality.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I actually thought the game was very overrated.  If you want loot hunting / dungeon crawler / exp. grinding, there are far better games out there.
    That's not to say I wouldn't buy it..  But at this stage, I'd hold off.  Chances are they'll release a GoTY version with all the expansions shortly.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By damswedon

I punched my brother in the face during a Borderlands session. Don't play it with friends. 
    But you should buy it for that price, too bad you missed the DLC sale it made some of those packs more appealing. 

neoBub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By neoBub
    @damswedon: Wow.  What could your bro have done to deserve a punch in the face?   

I've played most of the game by myself and have mostly had a great time doing so.  The online portion is fun with strangers.  Online is super laggy when I join games however, so I always end up hosting.  
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By damswedon
    @neoBub: Many things stealing health kits when I needed them most, stealing guns oh and pushing me off a cliff in a buggy. It was more of a backhand than a punch but damn it was annoying.
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By fugie7

buy it.

jacksonroye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jacksonroye

Just do what I did: bought the game, started convincing others to buy it too.  

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By dbz1995

If you buy it there'll be trouble...if you go there will be double.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.