Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

So the fist two reveiws are in (kind of)

• 115 results
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Pie

The official xbox magazine gave it a 8.5 whilst some australian gaming magazine gave it  91%.
    Pretty good scores and its pleasing to see that it didnt turn out like Scribblenauts did.
    The main criticisms seem to be how useless some loot was and how when youve find a really good gun its hard to replace

Damn, I just noticed my spelling error

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Atlas

So many threads with typos in the title...

Sounds promising. I'm not sure that it will be a strong GotY contender, but it should be fun. To be honest those criticisms sound pretty minor to me, so if that's really the worst aspect of the game, that's even more promising.

JordanSnyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JordanSnyder

I love games that give lots of loot (which is why I love Ratchet and Clank's ridiculous amount of bolts). My birthday is coming up in November, so I'm highly considering picking this up.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pie
    @Atlas said:
    " So many threads with typos in the title...
    I said sorry!

I just looked at Jeffs achievment page and noticed that he's already got 1000/1000 gamerscore which is pretty promising
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By Atlas

Yes I just saw that on Twitter about the full thousand. Really petty thing, I know, but that just makes me more excited.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By General_D23

I don't have the magazine in front of me, but I think it got a 86% from PC Gamer. 4/5 form Just Push Start, too. 

I use neither magazine or website, but just throwing that in here.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

With games like MW2 and uncharted 2 this year Borderlands won't be GoTY but hopefully still make many people's top ten list or at the very least be the pleasant surprise of the year. I'd almost say this wouldn't be RPG-ish without vender trash.Its amazing how even though I'm playing Uncharted 2 right now, I check the borderlands forums more. 

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By VWGTI

I think we'll see the game sit at the 80-85% mark when all of the reviews are in.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike
    @StaticFalconar said:
    I'd almost say this wouldn't be RPG-ish without vender trash."
    The only problem is that there is a lot of trash and not much inventory space to carry it all in - and so far, I haven't found a way to quickly get back to a vendor to sell everything off, either. That's really my only complaint with the game after about seven hours of play.

I have heard that inventory space can be expanded but I haven't seen how to do it yet.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @MB: 

You got a review build or something?
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By General_D23
    @MB:
    So, nowhere to store stuff? Are there crates or anything that you can keep stuff for safekeeping? Dammit, first Dragon Age....
    Avatar image for gristlemcthornbody
    GristleMcThornbody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: Can you tell how far into the campaign you are?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mike
    @General_D23: Not that I have seen, but I only got Brick to level 12 last night before I had to leave my friend's house.

Playing retail 360 version.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mike
    @GristleMcThornbody said:
    " @MB: Can you tell how far into the campaign you are? "
    No, but it doesn't seem like I have done very much.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24

The OXM review was positive; I read it and they applauded its old-school difficulty and look. Combat actually seems a great aspect of it too, something I was iffy about with all the weapons and such. It looks like a good game overall; Jeff's full 1000/1000 is a bit shocking this soon but I am sure it is an enjoyable ride.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ChickenPants

On paper I really should love this game but after watching some of it in action there's something I find really off-putting about it... haven't quite put my finger on it yet but I'll make sure to try before I buy :)

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pie
    @MB said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    I'd almost say this wouldn't be RPG-ish without vender trash."
    The only problem is that there is a lot of trash and not much inventory space to carry it all in - and so far, I haven't found a way to quickly get back to a vendor to sell everything off, either. That's really my only complaint with the game after about seven hours of play.  I have heard that inventory space can be expanded but I haven't seen how to do it yet. "
    Save the damn claptraps!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scooper

They're very good scores and the points they make against it seem legit from watching some videos and the quicklook of it. I'm excited to play it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mike
    @ChickenPants said:
    " On paper I really should love this game but after watching some of it in action there's something I find really off-putting about it... haven't quite put my finger on it yet but I'll make sure to try before I buy :) "
    Is it the fact that you have to shoot some dudes in the head 47 times for them to die?

It's bothering me a little but I'm getting used to it. It just seems like too many of the enemies I'm encountering are bullet sponges.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By General_D23
    @MB:
    Thanks. I'm really picky about equipment , I don't like having to make on the fly descions and giving up named items. Do items/bodies stay in certain areas when dropped, or do they always clean it up when you exit/enter a area?
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchScabby

Well I think that's just a problem with all loot games.  You end up with something really good and 95% of everything else becomes usless.  I kind of has to be that way or nothing would be a better item then anything else.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Rhaknar
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    " The OXM review was positive; I read it and they applauded its old-school difficulty and look. Combat actually seems a great aspect of it too, something I was iffy about with all the weapons and such. It looks like a good game overall; Jeff's full 1000/1000 is a bit shocking this soon but I am sure it is an enjoyable ride. "
    this soon? you realise jeff has been playing the game for weeks now (in fact, for more than a month, in the 09-01-09 podcast, he mentions they got batman and borderlands in the office and he started playing borderlands, but couldnt talk about it because of the embargo that every game seems to have these days)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mike
    @General_D23: Can't really say for sure yet, I haven't done a lot of backtracking. I know I have left areas, only to come back later and see some ammo sitting there, but in the back of my mind I feel like when you zone out and zone back in all of the dropped items are gone. I'll double check this when I play more later.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By General_D23
    @MB:
    Thanks, appreciate it.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn
    @Atlas said:
    "So many threads with typos in the title...  Sounds promising. I'm not sure that it will be a strong GotY contender, but it should be fun. To be honest those criticisms sound pretty minor to me, so if that's really the worst aspect of the game, that's even more promising. "

Yea, whats up with all the typos this weekend? Are people just not paying attention? 

Anyways im glad the reviews are good, it looks like an interesting game.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pie
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Atlas said:
    "So many threads with typos in the title...  Sounds promising. I'm not sure that it will be a strong GotY contender, but it should be fun. To be honest those criticisms sound pretty minor to me, so if that's really the worst aspect of the game, that's even more promising. "
    Yea, whats up with all the typos this weekend? Are people just not paying attention?  Anyways im glad the reviews are good, it looks like an interesting game. "
    I said that I was sorry, OK?!
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Griddler

Glad it's getting good reviews, I'm just not seeing the hook to this game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mike
    @General_D23: So far I haven't really ran into any tough decisions as far as equipment goes. It seems to have been like...I'll find ten shotguns that are about the same or marginally better in some ways and worse in other ways than what I already have, then all of a sudden I find a blue one that does triple the damage of anything I've previously seen in the game.

Some decisions aren't as clear-cut, I guess. For instance, I found a pistol that had +100% melee damage that had a very high rate of fire and had a chance to light dudes on fire. However, the next pistol I found did 50% more damage and had a better zoom with aiming down the sights. At that point in the game I was more concerned about conserving ammunition so I sold the fire pistol and kept the new one. I kind of miss the fire pistol, though.
    n00d13z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By n00d13z

If you check the achievements, they don't seem all too challenging, just time consuming. But then again, i haven't played the game yet so who knows!
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pie
    @n00d13z said:
    " If you check the achievements, they don't seem all too challenging, just time consuming. But then again, i haven't played the game yet so who knows! "
    But the fact that Jeff wanted to try do everything is the good thing
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Shadow

This type of game isn't for everyone.  It is however, for me.  I'll be picking this up ASAP

cyrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By cyrax

Thanks for the information, MB.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mike
    @Shadow said:
    " This type of game isn't for everyone.  It is however, for me.  I'll be picking this up ASAP "
    So far it's combining two of my favorite things very nicely - loot and shooting dudes in the face.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Pie said:

" The official xbox magazine gave it a 8.5 whilst some australian gaming magazine gave it  91%. Pretty good scores and its pleasing to see that it didnt turn out like Scribblenauts did. The main criticisms seem to be how useless some loot was and how when youve find a really good gun its hard to replace  Damn, I just noticed my spelling error "

Uh? Scribblenauts reviewed pretty damn well also? I don't really see the comparison in any case but whatever...
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pie
    @Al3xand3r: A case of overhyping
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, if you think it's overhyped due to the good reviews, what makes you think Borderlands didn't turn out the same based on two reviews?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pie
    @Al3xand3r said:

" So, if you think it's overhyped due to the good reviews, what makes you think Borderlands didn't turn out the same based on two reviews? "

Why are you so anal?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mike

Knock it off you two

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Pie said:
    " @Al3xand3r said:

" So, if you think it's overhyped due to the good reviews, what makes you think Borderlands didn't turn out the same based on two reviews? "

Why are you so anal? "
    Lol?

@MB said:
    " Knock it off you two "
    Huh? Discussing the op is out of line?
    Fuzz_Butt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fuzz_Butt
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " With games like MW2 and uncharted 2 this year Borderlands won't be GoTY but hopefully still make many people's top ten list or at the very least be the pleasant surprise of the year. I'd almost say this wouldn't be RPG-ish without vender trash.Its amazing how even though I'm playing Uncharted 2 right now, I check the borderlands forums more.  "
    Won't be GOTY? You have mind powers? Do you think MW2 is gonna be GOTY because it has the words MW2 in the title?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mike
    @General_D23: Items aren't persistent...but I can't put my finger on exactly how it's done because I'm picking up and selling almost everything still. 

Started over as a Soldier tonight. I just found a grenade mod that turns them into projectiles, they shoot out straight towards your target and then explode instead of being lobbed like a traditional grenade.
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By djstyles92
    @MB said:
    " @General_D23: Items aren't persistent...but I can't put my finger on exactly how it's done because I'm picking up and selling almost everything still.   Started over as a Soldier tonight. I just found a grenade mod that turns them into projectiles, they shoot out straight towards your target and then explode instead of being lobbed like a traditional grenade. "
    holy crap that sounds so cool.  I cant wait to get it on tuesday!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By jakob187
    @MB: The enemies may feel like bullet sponges...but you ARE playing it on single player.  As was said in the quick look...the enemies don't scale, just their overall quantity. 

@MB said:
    "I found a pistol that had +100% melee damage that had a very high rate of fire and had a chance to light dudes on fire. However, the next pistol I found did 50% more damage and had a better zoom with aiming down the sights. At that point in the game I was more concerned about conserving ammunition so I sold the fire pistol and kept the new one. I kind of miss the fire pistol, though. "
    See, I would've LOVED to find that 100% melee damage pistol, since I'm going to be playing as Brick to start with a Brawler/Tank spec. 

GET HYPE, FOLKS!
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By General_D23
    @MB:
    Thank you kindly. Sounds really fun. I bet someone'll figure out how the items are cleaned soon enough. There's probably a way to work the system. 

Now to decide whether to get it on the 360 or wait a bit and get a gaming rig....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mike
    @jakob187: I wasn't playing single player last night and they still felt like bullet sponges.

Also, Brick's special makes tough situations into easy mode. I'm missing it right now as a soldier.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187
    @MB: I'll be okay with them being bullet sponges.  How about, like, boss fights?  Any of those, or is it just peons?  How alive does stuff feel? 

Man, I wish Jeff's review was out already!!! 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mike
    @jakob187: There are bosses and named NPC's. It's a lot like an MMO actually, in many ways.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Fuzz_Butt said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " With games like MW2 and uncharted 2 this year Borderlands won't be GoTY but hopefully still make many people's top ten list or at the very least be the pleasant surprise of the year. I'd almost say this wouldn't be RPG-ish without vender trash.Its amazing how even though I'm playing Uncharted 2 right now, I check the borderlands forums more.  "
    Won't be GOTY? You have mind powers? Do you think MW2 is gonna be GOTY because it has the words MW2 in the title? "
    Borderlands may be your GOTY then but most gaming journalist pick a much promoted, much hyped game to give GOTY. While I want to play Borderlands more than I want to play MW2 now (since its more original), I highly doubt it will get GOTY by that many journalist.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By Milkman
    @MB: You're making this game sound way too awesome. You need to stop.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.