Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

The Thing With Borderlands

• 90 results
    Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By Jeff  Staff
    Sure, it looks great standing still. But it looks better in motion.
    Stop me if you've heard this one before. I know it's come up on the podcast a couple of times since we saw it at E3 last week. But in case you missed all that stuff, you should probably know about Gearbox's upcoming shooter, Borderlands. While I was already into the basic concepts that were discussed around a year ago, seeing how far it's come and where it's heading from here make it look like something special.

A lot has already been said about the art style in Borderlands, and sure, there are some screenshots out there and a touch of video that focuses more on teasing the environment than actually showing the game being played. But it's actually seeing the game in motion, seeing the characters, how they'll move, and how the enemies look that really sells the look. The art style looks awesome in stills. But it looks even better in motion. Really, Gearbox should just release a guided demo video that covers the same stuff shown at E3. Randy Pitchford's enthusiasm for the game was absolutely palpable during the demo I watched at the show.

Another bit from that demo is the thought that Borderlands' new look almost didn't happen. It sounds like a few artists went off and started prototyping a version of the game with the new "concept art" style. Seeing as how the game had already been in development for a long time, it's a pretty major change to make. Pitchford said he was ready to shut the artists down, but after seeing what they had built, he went ahead and overhauled the entire look of the game.

But what about the game itself? So far, a lot of the hype surrounding Borderlands has focused on its weapons, or more specifically, the number of available weapons. It's described as having over half a million guns... but it's more informative to say that the weapons are generated procedurally, so you'll get randomized statistics and potential status effects or bonuses across an array of weapon archetypes. It sounds like the defensive shields that you'll equip will also be handled this way. Equipment will also be broken out by rarity using the same color-coded system that World of Warcraft (and our own achievement system) utilizes.

If this is starting to sound more and more like an action RPG, you're not wrong. Characters are broken out into four classes, each with a branching skill tree and unique abilities. You'll be able to name your character, but Gearbox has also named its versions of each of the four types. So we saw the heavy, tank-like character, Brick, trigger some kind of wild berserker rage, causing him to switch to fists and run around wasting enemies while growling, grunting, and laughing maniacally. Since the game allows for four-player co-op, you'll be able to mix and match the different classes into your party. As you gain levels, you'll fill out your tree and also build up other statistics, including things like "shotgun proficiency." You'll also earn more storage slots in your digital backpack, allowing you to carry more items.

Not too much has been said about the story in Borderlands yet, but we do know that the players are on the hunt for an alien vault full of... something. I don't know, I'd guess that a vault built by aliens would probably have some pretty cool stuff in it. Between that quest and the post-apocalyptic vibe, Gearbox describes it as a sort of Mad Max version of Indiana Jones.

The demo of Borderlands wasn't very long, but it most definitely made an impact. I could feel my weird loot lust creeping up my spine as soon as I saw a list of gun stats. The mission structure sounds cool, the co-op (with a few options for actually fighting players) looked sharp, and all in all, it was one of the most impressive games I saw during E3 last week.

Here's the teaser trailer for Borderlands, which doesn't really do it justice:

Here's a trailer for Zardoz, which is only loosely connected in that Zardoz has a floating head that pukes guns (which I don't think Borderlands actually has, but hey, guns):

Jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Jeff  Staff
    Stop me if you've heard this one before. I know it's come up on the podcast a couple of times since we saw it at E3 last week. But in case you missed all that stuff, you should probably know about Gearbox's upcoming shooter, Borderlands. While I was already into the basic concepts that were discussed around a year ago, seeing how far it's come and where it's heading from here make it look like something special.

A lot has already been said about the art style in Borderlands, and sure, there are some screenshots out there and a touch of video that focuses more on teasing the environment than actually showing the game being played. But it's actually seeing the game in motion, seeing the characters, how they'll move, and how the enemies look that really sells the look. The art style looks awesome in stills. But it looks even better in motion. Really, Gearbox should just release a guided demo video that covers the same stuff shown at E3. Randy Pitchford's enthusiasm for the game was absolutely palpable during the demo I watched at the show.

Another bit from that demo is the thought that Borderlands' new look almost didn't happen. It sounds like a few artists went off and started prototyping a version of the game with the new "concept art" style. Seeing as how the game had already been in development for a long time, it's a pretty major change to make. Pitchford said he was ready to shut the artists down, but after seeing what they had built, he went ahead and overhauled the entire look of the game.

But what about the game itself? So far, a lot of the hype surrounding Borderlands has focused on its weapons, or more specifically, the number of available weapons. It's described as having over half a million guns... but it's more informative to say that the weapons are generated procedurally, so you'll get randomized statistics and potential status effects or bonuses across an array of weapon archetypes. It sounds like the defensive shields that you'll equip will also be handled this way. Equipment will also be broken out by rarity using the same color-coded system that World of Warcraft (and our own achievement system) utilizes.

If this is starting to sound more and more like an action RPG, you're not wrong. Characters are broken out into four classes, each with a branching skill tree and unique abilities. You'll be able to name your character, but Gearbox has also named its versions of each of the four types. So we saw the heavy, tank-like character, Brick, trigger some kind of wild berserker rage, causing him to switch to fists and run around wasting enemies while growling, grunting, and laughing maniacally. Since the game allows for four-player co-op, you'll be able to mix and match the different classes into your party. As you gain levels, you'll fill out your tree and also build up other statistics, including things like "shotgun proficiency." You'll also earn more storage slots in your digital backpack, allowing you to carry more items.

Not too much has been said about the story in Borderlands yet, but we do know that the players are on the hunt for an alien vault full of... something. I don't know, I'd guess that a vault built by aliens would probably have some pretty cool stuff in it. Between that quest and the post-apocalyptic vibe, Gearbox describes it as a sort of Mad Max version of Indiana Jones.

The demo of Borderlands wasn't very long, but it most definitely made an impact. I could feel my weird loot lust creeping up my spine as soon as I saw a list of gun stats. The mission structure sounds cool, the co-op (with a few options for actually fighting players) looked sharp, and all in all, it was one of the most impressive games I saw during E3 last week.

Here's the teaser trailer for Borderlands, which doesn't really do it justice:

Here's a trailer for Zardoz, which is only loosely connected in that Zardoz has a floating head that pukes guns (which I don't think Borderlands actually has, but hey, guns):

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By CowMuffins

Do want.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Endogene

Haaa so that is where Gorillaz got their intro for their second album from.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By Hector

I'm interesting in trying this game. At first I thought it was just a Fallout 3 rip-off.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kohe321

This game looks so rad

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EndrzGame

I can has?

ZARDOZ!!!!

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Death_Burnout

Randy Pitchfords enthusiasm for the game has been amazing from the start...So has my need for this game!

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

An alien vault is most certainly filled with space cash.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rad

WasteBasket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WasteBasket

I forgot everything about the game and now I have an urge to see Sean Connery in a thong with a revolver.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ZeroCast

Hey, if its a Gearbox game, I'm up for it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hamz

I'm somewhat looking forward to this game, caught my interest!

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By zoozilla

I must see Zardoz.

Borderlands looks very nice - I've been anticipating it for a while now.

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luchadeer797

Zardoz created Boarderlands!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scooper

Not Sean Connery's finest moment.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MatthewMeadows
    upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By upwarDBound

Damn I have to watch Zardoz now, but wtf is up with Sean Connery's costume? lol.

Oh, and borderlands looks cool.
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Alphazero

The gun is good. The penis is bad.

Zardoz is a really confusing, "arty", sci-fi movie, but it's worth seeing, if only for the boobies.

It's legit science fiction, but everything is so goofy it's hard to take it seriously.

I give it seven out of ten red thongs.

Also, Borderlands had me as soon as someone said, "like Diablo."

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I nominate Zardoz for a TANG.  Yeah, I know there wasn't a game, but it's an acceptable requirement omission.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

@Scooper: You bite your tongue!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By gingertastic_10

art style looks fantastic

Schuultz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Schuultz

There's a Randy Pitchford interview on GameTrailers that shows bits and pieces of actual gameplay between the questions. I gotta say, it looks freaking awesome!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-borderlands/51346

The game had been totally under my radar until you guys brought it up on the podcast(s), and the more I learn about it, the higher up it moves in my wishlist. If they finally showed some full gameplay clips, or maybe even a demo, it has the potential to become a must-have for me!

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Borderlands used to look like Haze, now it looks awesome.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By RHCPfan24

Looks very slick. The Crackdown style translates very nicely to the steampunk, Mad Max vibe.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stinky

don't let anyone here fool you, 20 minutes into  Zardoz your mind will wonder and you'll either walk away or decide you have something better to do.

inversely if you want to feel you have something better to do, start watching Zardoz.

i'd rather watch the Wizard of Oz again.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rio

Sean Connery with mustache = Burt Reynolds

Natedog24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Natedog24

Wizard of Oz
    Zardoz
    oh sh--

MenacingEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MenacingEye

no matter how hard i try i can never unwatch that trailer.... >.<

luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By luthorcrow
    @Rio said:
    " Sean Connery with mustache = Burt Reynolds "
    No.  Your computation is wrong.  The correct formula is...

Sean Connery + mustache = Burt Reynolds = dead sexy.
    Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rio

I have been watching this game for a long time now and I am very excited to see that Jeff is totally pumped for this game.  Now I know we will here plenty of coverage on it that will undoubtedly get me that much more obsessed with it.  So, all in all, I dont know if this is a good thing or a bad thing........... but im still excited.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

God, Zardoz is a TERRIBLE movie. Borderlands is looking pretty good though.

THE GUN IS GOOD!

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AllanIceman

I will have nightmares for the rest of my life now.   Thanks Jeff.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FCKSNAP

I've been watching it since it was announced (CGW/GFW?) and before I though it was going to be pretty awesome, now I know it's gonna be pretty awesome. Just wish it would've been a full-blown PSO-style MMO.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By jacksukeru

Uh, I came across Zardoz while watching random things on tv one night. It was really wierd and I didn't like it, but watched the whole thing anyway.

I didn't remember it when it was mentioned on the podcast, but somehow just a glimpse of the sky from the video pic brought it all back.

Borderlands look cool, but not like a first choice. If there's not to many other good games coming out at the same time I might pick it up.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 61

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

First Person Diablo with Guns? Sign me up!
    Sean Connery in bizarre high-concept sci-fi movie wearing a loincloth? No thank you! 

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo7676

How could Sean Connery not know the tabernacle is indestructible and everlasting?

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By ishotmrburns

Screw Borderlands,

ALL HAIL ZARDOZ!

SlimDogg95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SlimDogg95

Can not wait for this game !!

Classic_Gs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Classic_Gs

I wish more info was out about this game, because you know, I want to know more about it.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#40  Edited By MeatSim

Yea I wanna see this game in motion too so they should release some gameplay footage already.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoOneFive

wait a minute. After watching that movie trailer i completely forgot why i was here. There was an article about something, but it couldn't be about that trippy wild ass Sean Connery sci-fi film. i don't know what is going on now.Its like this web site, and it spits out articles, about guns, and these guns are being spit out and, its indestructible and everlasting. and. oh my god i....i..just..I...

ZARDOZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Crono

Interesting.   I will have to keep an eye on this one.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Wildfire570

Wow that teaser was just as informative as the Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer...

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wildfire570 said:
    " Wow that teaser was just as informative as the Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer... "
    Check out the first page of comments or search on youtube.  There's one where Randy Pitchford explains the whole thing and there's gameplay footage.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

I remember catching Zardoz on TV while on something hallucinogenic and wondering how much of it was my imagination. Turns out none of it was.

Definitely looking forward to Borderlands. Fallout 3 didn't grab me like I had wished.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jiggah

My problem with this game is it's reminding too much of Hellgate London, which was essentially Diablo with guns.

ozeki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ozeki

How the hell did sean connery get involved in this. Holy fuck...

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Reverseface

Pretty excited about this game.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By fox01313

Ahh Zardoz, what a strange yet amusing film. So looking forward to Borderlands, it's a shame that Gearbox is so close to where I live & yet the game is so far away.

Still prefer this clip from Zardoz on the B-movie review.
    http://www.badmovies.org/multimedia/moviesl/zardoz1.mpg

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turbomonkey138

THE GUN IS GOOD ?

THE PENGIS IS EVIL

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.