Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

What's wrong with the PC?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

So I have Borderlands on the 360, and I love it. I was considering buying it for PC, but Jeff convinced me to buy the 360 version, claiming that the PC version is all kinds of messed up. Having never played or seen the PC version, I have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the PC version that is better on consoles?

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

The only things I have trouble with are the UI not being PC optimized and the hit boxes being really finicky 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I believe the issue is just more that the game was made for consoles and therefore all the UI and menu systems don't work well with Keyboards and mice. At least that's what I can remember. There's actually a PC specific QL up, so you could watch that.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By coaxmetal

As someone who has the PC version: nothing is wrong, except maybe a large ui, but that isn't a big deal. Also, better graphics on PC, as usual. So maybe if you hate graphics, it's not your thing.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zithe

There are a couple things with the menu that clearly point out the game's console roots, but they are pretty minor. The game actually plays great on PC. You will just have to use some arrow keys or something in the menus instead of being able to click on everything like you might expect. I still prefer it on PC just for the mouse controls.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Co-Op was nearly unplayable at launch, not sure how that is now though since I didn't reallylike the game and only played it a few times.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ShaunassNZ

The menus, and I had to turn the sensitivity down, because it pissed me off too much, because was slow and didn't need flicking or twitching. I played the PS3 version for a bit, and it feels better, but PC definitely looks and runs better. 

EDIT: Runs super good at CLOSE to max 1080p on my HD4850 + AMD 2.7x2 (I'm getting a GTX460 + i5 760 soon.)

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zithe
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Co-Op was nearly unplayable at launch, not sure how that is now though since I didn't reallylike the game and only played it a few times. "
    I guess I should add that the online play is done through GameSpy (who knew they still existed?), but it seems to work perfectly fine. Just kind of a bummer that you have to register an account through them if you don't already have one that you know about. I played with some guys from these forums not too long ago.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Dtat:  i played the PC version and it's fine
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By alistercat

I am curious, is the framerate locked on PC? Because that's a big deal for me.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dtat
    @Zithe said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Co-Op was nearly unplayable at launch, not sure how that is now though since I didn't reallylike the game and only played it a few times. "
    I guess I should add that the online play is done through GameSpy (who knew they still existed?), but it seems to work perfectly fine. Just kind of a bummer that you have to register an account through them if you don't already have one that you know about. I played with some guys from these forums not too long ago. "
    Oh that's really weird :/ Well it sounds like not much is wrong with it then. That's kind of what I expected. I wish Jeff would elaborate on his grievances, because he really seems to hate it. Thanks everyone!
    Cactberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cactberry

I just found issues with the mouse, not just because of sensitivity but because it felt a bit laggy, but after doing some tweaks with the inis it was fine.  The one I haven't been able to fix and is a bit annoying is that in the menu where you see your level with each kind of weapon the sniper rifles can only be selected using the keyboard.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By salad10203

It works fine, a little laggy, i also had to fix the FOV 

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By rentfn

I heard there were issues. But thanks for this thread it helped with part of a quest :)

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColMirage
    @AlisterCat said:
    " I am curious, is the framerate locked on PC? Because that's a big deal for me. "
    Nope. Or not at anything less than 60, after which it dosen't  really matter anyway.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Dalai

You can play the PC version with a 360 controller which eliminates the janky PC controls. Other than that, there's really no difference.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By melcene

I've finished the game and Co-op'd (local network) on PC before I ever played it on 360.  In some ways I liked the PC better for local Co-op than split screen on the 360, but gameplay was fine on either.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By zidd

the pc version is fine when you plug an xbox controller in.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Ghostin

Nothing is broken about it at all.  The only minor gripes I have are a poorly implemented UI and the fact multiplayer is fed through gamespy.  Other than that it's still a brilliant game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

The only significant problem is the poor UI hotkeys (having to hit enter to accept quests instead of clicking a button on-screen, etc.). The game also has mouse acceleration so a small crowd of people won't like that; pretty sure there are guides detailing to turn it off on the Gearbox forums, though. There's also the fact that the multiplayer is through Gamesppy if you're really trying to find something to complain about I guess.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By captain_clayman

the UI isnt really PC oriented, but you can use an xbox controller and its virtually the same but with better graphics.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Geno

It's a bit on the demanding side with AA forced (it's not an option in the game menu either), but other than that there's not much to complain about. 

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coaxmetal
    @AlisterCat said:
    " I am curious, is the framerate locked on PC? Because that's a big deal for me. "
    no, you can't do that on PC because you don't know what hardware the game will be on, but if your hardware is good enough (it doesn't take a whole lot for borderlands) you can turn on v-sync and its locked 60 (or whatever your monitor refreshes at) 
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#24  Edited By alistercat
    @Riboflavin:  What? You can because some really bad PC ports of console games have their framerate hard coded. Force Unleashed is a prime example. That's what I was worried about.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Riboflavin said:
    " @AlisterCat said:
    no, you can't do that on PC because you don't know what hardware the game will be on, but if your hardware is good enough (it doesn't take a whole lot for borderlands) you can turn on v-sync and its locked 60 (or whatever your monitor refreshes at)  "
    Actually you can do that on PC.  Doom III had a locked framerate, based on animation cycles, but it could be overridden with a console command which people had to do to benchmark the game performance.  Lots of games, including Arkham Asylum also work the same way on PC.  Framerate isn't only derived from how often framebuffer updates (ie vsynch).
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rmills87

The only MAJOR reason I could think why the PC version is inferior is because the online functionality on the PC version requires a GameSpy ID.  Which means that if you want to get online with friends on your PC, you all need GameSpy accounts in order to play co-op.  The interface is a little clunky with the mouse and keyboard but I don't find it to be annoying at all.  I have played the PC version all the way through the original game and through all the DLC and I am about to play through everything again.  If you have more questions about the PC version of the game, just PM me.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By rachelepithet

1) VSYNC option not found in settings. Makes the framerate f'ed up and the screen gets janky whenever you turn around fast. 
    2) Mouse sensitivity screwed up by default. You turn around at 100 miles per hour it seems. This may depend on your brand of mouse and certain Windows settings. 
    3) Auto-aim and mouse smoothing as well as turn sensitivity hard to balance. Hard to tell if they're working well. You would assume a PC game would need no autoaim. 
    4) Frustrating menus not optimized for PC. Pointer lags to where you want to click, and many options require you to use a combo of mouse clicks and keyboard clicks. (Like you can point to "Accept" or "exit" and click and the menu will do nothing, you have to hover on it and then press Enter on the keys. Lame. 
    5) Field of view too zoomed in versus console version. This is the effect that screwed Bioshock PC owners, where widescreen monitors were only getting the 4:3 "square" TV's field of view with just the tops and bottoms cut off! Rather than the same view with the added width bonus on the sides. 

All of these issues however were fixable unofficially by changing words within the type of Windows notepad file ("settings.ini") that PC games use. Someone even made an EXE program that would fix these things for you without having to do any coding. 

I still think you were best with the 360 version, but the PC one when taken the time to optimize is pretty close, and since it was like $8 on Steam a few months ago, good enough for me!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper

PC's fine. It runs much smoother than the 360 version which for me was unplayable in some spots. It's much easier to control and shoot and I really didn't like the aiming controls on the 360, especaily towards the end when the framerate was really bad it made sniper rifles and things like that really hard to use.

The only problem with the PC version is the UI is designed for a console so it's pretty clunky to use and you'll probably have a hard time with the coop. Apart from that it's great.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

UI is kinda goofy, but I just used a 360 controller and everything for the most part works fine, except for map scrolling. There is also mouse smoothing when you are using a Mouse, but can easily be turned off in the config files. After that, everything worked just fine.

Runs at a solid 60fps with vsync on and it still looks like a damn good looking game.

I think a PC raped Jeff during a rough point in his life. That could explain why it's so scary at times.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Driadon

UI's odd; Gamepy for co-op can be very hit or miss; and performance, though usually really really good with nvidia cards, can be all kinds of fucked up with ATI hardware. 

Though I still love the game on PC, I desperately want a copy of the 360 version so I can jump into random games with people and not get fucking lag heaven due to GameSpy.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo

Nothing that isn't more than made up for by the better graphics / framerate / input device.  You need to navigate the menus with the move keys instead of the mouse, that's it.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sn1PeR

I would highly recommend it on the pc.  I played it on the xbox, but the frame rate _sucks_.  The game is beautiful on the pc and runs smooth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.