Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Worth buying the GOTY?

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hi all 

I just noticed that on the UK pre-order schedule Borderlands is getting a re-release as a bundle with all the current DLC. I have not picked the original up as it just passed me by but I have had it in mind a fair bit as a cool looking game. Basically is it worth buying to play it offline? I do not know anybody with it so if it was to be done with co-op is there a matchmaking service? 

Thank you
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

Yes, it's worth it. 

/thread

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I've played the game mostly on my own, or in splitscreen so I can vouch it's definitely still worth it for playing offline. It's a great deal too, when you put the full game plus all it's DLC together.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Garfield360UK

Is it something that you can get hooked to? I liked Fallout 3 a lot and this looks to have some similiar ideas (i.e. post apocoplyptic world, lots of different wepons to use etc) but it took me a while to get into that. Is Borderlands a similar tale where it starts off slow and then picks up?
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @Garfield360UK: It starts off with you shooting shit and finding cool guns and it will end with you shooting shit and finding cool guns
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

what the fuck is a Game Of The Year edition anyway ? 

hows it different from the game itself ?

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By christ0phe
    @Garfield360UK: This game is nothing, nothing like Fallout.  Setting aside, if you like a story, Borderlands has no story.  But it is very fun, and I've only played by myself.  I think it adds to the atmosphere
    Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Mrskidders
    @Ahmad_Metallic: It's a one box with every expansion pack and version of the game included.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By spazmaster666

It's definitely worth it if you compare it to what the cost would be for the vanilla game + DLC ($30 + 5x$10) vs. the GOTY edition. Even if it comes out at $60, it'll save you about $20 compared to the current pricing. And while it doesn't have match making per say, it will search for public games with people who are of similar level and/or similar progress in the story. You can also just create a public match yourself.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Many games come out with Game of the Year of Ultimate editions that contain the original game and all of the DLC that came out post release. To name some notable and recent examples Oblivion, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Dragon Age, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 have all done this. You also sometimes get games which simply become 360 Platinum Hits or PS3 Greatest Hits and those editions will include all content as well. The original Mass Effect, Fable 2, and now Uncharted 2 fall into that catagory.

@Garfield360UK: Borderlands is an amazing game and I strongly recommend you pick up the Game of the Year edition if you have an interest. You'll be getting three great expansions (and one not so great one) plus the full game for how much everyone else payed in the first place. However, it's much more shooter than it is role playing game. While in Fallout 3 you had a huge open world full of things to discover, people to talk to, and loot to gather of various types Fallout is much more focused. Sure, you'll get rudimentary quests but there are no dialogue options and it's simply "Go to zone, find dude or object, kill or collect, and return to sender." It's simple but effective as I've beaten the game both by myself and with my sister. Which was shocking because she usually hates video games but loved Borderlands.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " what the fuck is a Game Of The Year edition anyway ?  hows it different from the game itself ? "
    Everything that was released after the original is in it.
    Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Garfield360UK
    @CenturionCajun said:
    "@Ahmad_Metallic: Many games come out with Game of the Year of Ultimate editions that contain the original game and all of the DLC that came out post release. To name some notable and recent examples Oblivion, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Dragon Age, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 have all done this. You also sometimes get games which simply become 360 Platinum Hits or PS3 Greatest Hits and those editions will include all content as well. The original Mass Effect, Fable 2, and now Uncharted 2 fall into that catagory.

@Garfield360UK: Borderlands is an amazing game and I strongly recommend you pick up the Game of the Year edition if you have an interest. You'll be getting three great expansions (and one not so great one) plus the full game for how much everyone else payed in the first place. However, it's much more shooter than it is role playing game. While in Fallout 3 you had a huge open world full of things to discover, people to talk to, and loot to gather of various types Fallout is much more focused. Sure, you'll get rudimentary quests but there are no dialogue options and it's simply "Go to zone, find dude or object, kill or collect, and return to sender." It's simple but effective as I've beaten the game both by myself and with my sister. Which was shocking because she usually hates video games but loved Borderlands. "

Sounds good. I basically did the same thing with Fallout 3 where I just did the main quest and then the dlc after completing the game. I enjoyed the dialogue in the game but Borderlands sounds good to play on. I shall have to see how much it is when it comes out as I have bought a few of the new releases recently and feel a tad bad wanting more :P
    faustyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By faustyn
    @Garfield360UK said:

" Hi all  I just noticed that on the UK pre-order schedule Borderlands is getting a re-release as a bundle with all the current DLC. I have not picked the original up as it just passed me by but I have had it in mind a fair bit as a cool looking game. Basically is it worth buying to play it offline? I do not know anybody with it so if it was to be done with co-op is there a matchmaking service?  Thank you "

yup. there's matchmaking and the whole game is drop in/drop out. but i would suggest playing in private if you don't know the other players that might join you. they usually steal all the loot or just ruin your experience by killing everyone because they're on a higher level than creatures in your game.

tl;dr - play singleplayer if you don't know other players.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond

I think if you look around you'll be able to find some better deals for Borderlands + the DLC.  Steam sales, retail sales, stuff like that.  I know my friend definitely got a better deal, and I did when I traded him his copy for one of my games.

matthewrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By matthewrex

Will the GOTY load your existing Borderlands save game? I'm going to sell my original copy and get this, but I don't want to start from scratch!

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By samcotts
    @matthewrex: I believe the game disk is exactly the same, so should do. There are codes in the box for the DLC (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Rxanadu

I already have Borderlands on the PS3, along with General Knoxx.  Should I still sell the game for a GOTY edition for the other DLC?  Are they even worth it?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Get it. The game alone is worth the price, let alone with all that DLC. 

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By JokerFrown
    @samcotts: Yep.  Its codes for the DLC.  Bought the GOTY edition today.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Garfield360UK: YES YES YES YES YES YES OH GOD YES 

Yes? 

YES
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aus_azn

Yes, but the game is MADE for 4 people, so some enemies are quite tough in the lategame. 

The one DLC that is definitely not worth buying is Mad Moxxi. It's just like paying for raw misery. If you want to treat yourself to it, then the GOTY will include it. But if you get the regular edition, don't even consider it.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Bouke

Just buy it, its awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.