Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

WTF @ lack of a manual save for Borderlands

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mhkjtha

Autosave makes sense for very linear action games, but it doesnt in an open-world diablo-style RPG like this. This is retarded.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By angelkanarias

once you quit it saves. the new diablo type game auto-saves automatically and it's being developed by the ones who made diablo, so I doubt they are retarded (both the diablo team and the borderlands team)

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

whenever you quit it saves your character progress.  those save points on the map I think are just there to mark your spawn point for when you die, and if you quit the game and start it up again you will be placed back at your last saved spot, but your character progress has all been saved so don't worry.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mhkjtha

well ok thats a little bit less retarded, but id still by far prefer a save system in the same style as fallout 3 or any pc fps

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

It kinda takes some getting used to, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Driadon
    @angelkanarias: Umm...I think you're getting Torchlight (made by Runic games who are ex Blizzard North people) and Borderlands mixed up.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Manatassi

when you exit and autosaves all the time...  wheres the problem? 

It would pretty much ruin the game if you could manually save and load sections. Thats not even counting the daft mess you would have in COOP which the game is built for.

mackdaddicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mackdaddicus

In addition to the game saving when you quit, it also saves whenever you pass one of those giant green lamp-post things that have the new-u station on them; so the game is pretty much saving constantly.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

To be honest, I'm not hurting from the lack of an auto-save.  Then again, I can barely put the controller down, and I know where virtually every auto-save point on the map is now.  Therefore, it's not really an issue to me.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chokobo

If you exit through the menu it saves.  Don't turn off your system without exiting.

Jeff: WHAT ARE YOU, SOME KIND OF CAVEMAN?!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Fallout 3 had manual saves because when you die, you need to load that save. In Borderlands, when you die you respawn from the last New U station or spawn pole you went near.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By Hamst3r

There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual save system in a game like this. If you can't manually save your progress at any time, via a menu or quick save feature, the game is broken. The only time lack of save makes sense is when the gameplay is explicitly about conserving lives (arcade games, dual-stick shooters) or about the challenge of the traversal (platformers, sidescrollers). An FPS is neither.

In the case of Borderlands, If you're in co-op mode, the manual save should simply be grayed out with the subtitle, "cannot manually save during co-op."

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Colin
    @Hamst3r said:
    "There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual save system in a game like this. If you can't manually save your progress at any time, via a menu or quick save feature, the game is broken. The only time lack of save makes sense is when the gameplay is explicitly about conserving lives (arcade games, dual-stick shooters) or about the challenge of the traversal (platformers, sidescrollers). An FPS is neither. In the case of Borderlands, If you're in co-op mode, the manual save should simply be grayed out with the subtitle, "cannot manually save during co-op." "

But but green lamp post things are basically manual save points, you have to walk near them to save. 

Why does it have to be in a menu?   Having it ingame just saves you time and makes the process much more streamlined.
    Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Absolute

I think I was in the boss battle with Sledge and was too tired to finish. i quit from the menu but going back in the next day I had to do the entire area over again. Didn't have a problem since but that was strange.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @Driadon said:

" @angelkanarias: Umm...I think you're getting Torchlight (made by Runic games who are ex Blizzard North people) and Borderlands mixed up. "

I agree with you about Torchlight. After installing, I played that game for a few hours, and then got to a point where I was ready to save and quit. After probably 10 minutes of searching for some method of saving, I eventually built up the courage to just click the exit button. Luckily, it apparently does autosave your character, but it never gives any indication that it does.

I never had a problem with Borderlands though. It clearly indicates when it autosaves, and the "Quit" option actually tells you that all of your progress will be saved. Also, I don't really have any desire to keep multiple save slots if I don't need to. Even in a game like Fallout 3, I only ever used two or maybe three save slots during my many hours of playing through it, mainly just so that I could have an older failsafe save to fall back to if I ran into some glitch that stopped my progress (which never actually happened).
    Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Hamst3r
    @Colin said:
    " @Hamst3r said:
    "There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual save system in a game like this. If you can't manually save your progress at any time, via a menu or quick save feature, the game is broken. The only time lack of save makes sense is when the gameplay is explicitly about conserving lives (arcade games, dual-stick shooters) or about the challenge of the traversal (platformers, sidescrollers). An FPS is neither. In the case of Borderlands, If you're in co-op mode, the manual save should simply be grayed out with the subtitle, "cannot manually save during co-op." "
    But but green lamp post things are basically manual save points, you have to walk near them to save.  Why does it have to be in a menu?   Having it ingame just saves you time and makes the process much more streamlined. "
    Having it be the F5 key makes it even more streamlined. :)
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By angelkanarias
    @Driadon said:
    " @angelkanarias: Umm...I think you're getting Torchlight (made by Runic games who are ex Blizzard North people) and Borderlands mixed up. "
    No. He said Diablo games have a better save system, and torchlight, which I know is made by ex blizzard people, uses an auto-save system.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By sixghost

Sounds like someone doesn't want to take the 10% money hit when he dies.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mhkjtha
    @sixghost said:

" Sounds like someone doesn't want to take the 10% money hit when he dies. "

or i can just exit just before i die and keep all the money, xp and items i had gathered on that journey. and still end up on the same spot as i wouldve if i wouldve let myself die instead for no reason
     its retarded that i can abuse this system so easily. it allows you to play sloppily while xp grinding with no punishment. a simple quick save/quick load/manual save system wouldve prevented this.

@Colin said:

" @Hamst3r said:

But but green lamp post things are basically manual save points, you have to walk near them to save.  Why does it have to be in a menu?   Having it ingame just saves you time and makes the process much more streamlined. "
    it doesnt have to be in a menu, it could be assigned to buttons (quick save and quick load). assuming youre playing on a pc off course, which i am

besides, even if youre not playing it on a pc going into a menu to manually save is easier then looking for these retarded posts and/or memorizing where they are to go there all the time.
    Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Naughton
    @mhkjtha said:
     besides, even if youre not playing it on a pc going into a menu to manually save is easier then looking for these retarded posts and/or memorizing where they are to go there all the time. "

There's a post basically every ten feet. Quit whining.
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrLove
    @Hamst3r said:

" There's really no excuse for the lack of a manual save system in a game like this. If you can't manually save your progress at any time, via a menu or quick save feature, the game is broken. The only time lack of save makes sense is when the gameplay is explicitly about conserving lives (arcade games, dual-stick shooters) or about the challenge of the traversal (platformers, sidescrollers). An FPS is neither. In the case of Borderlands, If you're in co-op mode, the manual save should simply be grayed out with the subtitle, "cannot manually save during co-op." "

im lost in this thread.. you CAN save anytime in the game, you wil have to respwan a few steps away at a lamp-post.  what is the problem?  its not like Fallout 3 but you and run or drive a car to where you want to go so it only takes a second to get back to the same spot.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm fascinated by all these people who keep finding things that aren't in most console games then getting surprised when they find out the PC port of said game doesn't have this extra feature.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mhkjtha

"extra function"? a game like this should obviously be built around a feature like that. and it isnt a pc only thing.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jkz

Yeah if you spawned right into the middle of a high-level mob that you had killed when you quit, I assure you you'd have even more of a problem with it. This way, they can spawn you at locations where it makes sense, while letting you keep any and all character and item progression.

mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mhkjtha

^^and if youre not stupid you have more then 1 save. 
    or are you suggesting that gearbox would mess up and create a bugged quicksave system that doesnt save everything youve done properly? well considering they cant even port a game without forcing retarded mouse smoothing i guess you have a point.
    the system is way to easy to abuse in xp grinding and it basically lets you teleport to the last important location you where at, while still keeping all your xp. 
    it doesnt even have to be a pc style quicksave system, it could be a jrpg style "go to a savepoint and press use to save" thing. as long as its not this autosave nonsense

DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrLove
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Yeah if you spawned right into the middle of a high-level mob that you had killed when you quit, I assure you you'd have even more of a problem with it. This way, they can spawn you at locations where it makes sense, while letting you keep any and all character and item progression. "
    this..
    DrLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrLove
    @mhkjtha said:

" ^^and if youre not stupid you have more then 1 save.  or are you suggesting that gearbox would mess up and create a bugged quicksave system that doesnt save everything youve done properly? well considering they cant even port a game without forcing retarded mouse smoothing i guess you have a point.the system is way to easy to abuse in xp grinding and it basically lets you teleport to the last important location you where at, while still keeping all your xp.  it doesnt even have to be a pc style quicksave system, it could be a jrpg style "go to a savepoint and press use to save" thing. as long as its not this autosave nonsense "

i dont understand what your saying.  in Fallout you can manually save, and teleport to any location you have been too while keeping your xp.  so whats the difference?
    quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By quirkwood

quick saving == cheating :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.