Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Braid

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 06, 2008

Manipulate time to complete puzzles in this 2D platform game made by indie developer Jonathan Blow.

Beat Braid, but... story went over my head?? *Spoilers*

sjtigsjdmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sjtigsjdmg

Okay, I beat Braid, but, I feel retarded, it didn't click at the end. But, I want to figure it out by myself, so can someone somehow HINT to me, one step at a time, towards figuring it out? Like, I don't know how, maybe like emphasize on a book in there or something that happens to clue me into putting it all together? Know what I'm trying to say here? But easy now, just a little small vague piece at a time, I want to figure it out without as much information as I can get away with at first.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

Hey you posted this on Gamefaqs too right?

Anyway, I'd say don't read any so called 'explanations' online, because the story is open to interpretation, and you'll kill it's subtlety if you read those.

Read this.
    It's the script for the game, and reading it in that straightforward way should help you get some idea of the story.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/file/943284/53801

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I don't know if this actually happened, but from my interpretation:
    -Maybe a way to specific hint ahead-

The cake is a lie.

(Sorry if it is a way too specific hint, I'm not a qualified English teacher. :D)

sjtigsjdmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sjtigsjdmg

Sure did, but the board was deleted, so I didn't get to check out any posts made in there --- if there were any. And I HAVE read that it is indeed open to interpretation, but I figured there was still at least some base for a general idea that would click at the end, but just didn't happen with me. And I definitely didn't find the script, I think that will actually help a lot, thanks! I'll give it a read-through and see if I can put some things together.

sjtigsjdmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sjtigsjdmg

Ehh, still a little lost, but, wasn't there "hidden" text? I remember I read a couple in the epilogue, and I missed one of them, wasn't sure if there were more. Don't they add to the story and help to interpret it?

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlwaysCrashing
    sjtigsjdmg said:
    "Ehh, still a little lost, but, wasn't there "hidden" text? I remember I read a couple in the epilogue, and I missed one of them, wasn't sure if there were more. Don't they add to the story and help to interpret it?"
    The hidden text is also in that script I sent.

If you want the long and short of the story, I think it's this:

Tim remembers when he was a kid, his mother's braid, and looking at sweets he couldn't have behind the glass front of the candy store.
    He gets used to wanting things he can't have, and it turns into an obsession with him. He goes to uni, he gets a girl, experiences a little of the happiness he's looking for, but goes in search of another, he gets married, but still goes in search of something. All of that causes him and the people around him some sorrow.
    He ends up working on the atomic bomb, succeeding, and gaining some sense of finding what he was looking for.
    In the epilogue, it says he sifts through memories as if they were stones, and can use them to build a palace. I think this sums it all up.

The last level (which is actually the first) I think basically a riff on that. You see him chasing something as if to save it, but in reality, he is chasing something he saw behind a glass front, that he doesn't succeed in catching.

You can find loads of explanations online that pretty much say 'IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BOMB' or 'IT'S ALL ABOUT TIME TRAVEL' but I think they're bullshit. Guy himself even denied that it had some specific plot that you had to 'uncover'. It's just a deconstructivist story that's supposed to read abstractly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.