The goal of BrainPipe is to transcend humanity. To achieve your goal you must fly through the tunnels of your mind and collect "glyphs". Each glyph represents a state of mind or an emotion, with the end of each level having a special golden glyph, which essentially tracks your path to achieving transcendence. BrainPipe's use of sound is arguably it's best feature, where your flight through the mind is accompanied by strange music, odd sound effects, and creepy voices.
BrainPipe is one of a number of games of the so far unnamed genre Flying Down Tunnels Quickly. You collect the glyphs while dodging obstacles of increasing frequency and size. All the while you are accelerating down the tunnel of your mind. The player is represented by a wireframe eye, which appears to be viewed from behind (the mind's eye, if you will) This is how you aim your way down the tunnel, and it also shows your health. When hit the pupil dilates, after several impacts with obstacles the game is over. Health regenerates quickly, and the player has the ability to slow time for a brief period when in a difficult spot.
As you collect glyphs and accelerate down through your mind you get points, which when you die, go onto a traditional high score table.
- Each level of the game is named after an area of the brain.
- After achieving transcendence at level 10, you can continue to fly through your mind for high scores.
- On achieving transcendence, you can pick from several images to sit next to your name on the high score table.
- In the menu, the menu buttons (they are eyes) follow the movement of your cursor
- BrainPipe was the winner of the IGF 2009 Excellence in Audio award, for it's unique use of sound effects.
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP or Vista
- Processor: Pentium 1.8 GHz
- Memory: 512 MB RAM
- Graphics: ATI Radeon X700+ or NVidia 6800+ video card, OpenGL 1.1 compatible video drivers
- Hard Drive: 50 MB HDD
- Sound: Windows Compatible Sound Card
Mac System Requirements
- OS: OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later
- Processor: Intel Mac
- Memory: 128 MB RAM
- Graphics: 32 MB 3D Video Card
- Hard Drive: 40 MB free space