Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bravely Default

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

An enhanced version of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. This edition was localized and released internationally, as opposed to the original Flying Fairy.

Anyone like this game but....

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Totally turned off by the chibi art style?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Aegon

Not really. It's fine. Although I'm one of those people who sometimes likes anime (always hated the chibi style in anime though). However, the background art in towns could've used more fine-tuning.

icybankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi art is what attracted me tbh.... reminds me of Fire Emblem awakening :D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Not at all. It's the exact same style that was used in the DS versions of Final Fantasy III and IV.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aegon

I think part of what saves it is that they don't have huge eyes and the general character designs are pretty good. Sadly that's not the case with Persona Q (the eyes).

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I would be but I'm actually fine with it. After playing the game for a bit I just forgot about it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@aegon said:

I think part of what saves it is that they don't have huge eyes and the general character designs are pretty good. Sadly that's not the case with Persona Q (the eyes).

Well, Persona Q uses the same character art direction as Etrian Odyssey.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icybankz: that's not chibi that's just feetless.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks identical to the art from Final Fantasy Tactics, and that's awesome.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi characters aren't my favorite, but I don't dislike them either. They look fine for what they are. More importantly, everything else looks great and more than makes up for that.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the art style is alright.

But so far the story is dull, most of the characters are uninspired and the boss fights seem to require a bit too much grinding.

But that just me being a bit rusty with my JRPG's.

futurstock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i played the demo alittle, seems pretty cool, looks good too... that maid lookin' one ;)

amani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I'm with you. I love the art work to unhealthy degrees and I really wanted to see that style represented in game with full-bodied models and all. Would've been completely fine with what Golden Sun: Dark Dawn did and have chibi models for the over world and cutscenes, but full sized animations, models, etc. for the actual battles. Here's hoping in any future installments they give it a go (doubt they do so in Bravely Second, but we'll see).

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jz said:

Totally turned off by the chibi art style?

It was part of the reason I pre-ordered the collectors -.-

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@amani said:

To be honest, I'm with you. I love the art work to unhealthy degrees and I really wanted to see that style represented in game with full-bodied models and all. Would've been completely fine with what Golden Sun: Dark Dawn did and have chibi models for the over world and cutscenes, but full sized animations, models, etc. for the actual battles. Here's hoping in any future installments they give it a go (doubt they do so in Bravely Second, but we'll see).

Yeah, that would've been nice. But while not exactly double the work, it does mean they now have to have two models for any character that exists in overworld/cutscenes and in battle.

I'm guessing that the chibi art style was a way to simplify the character models to fit within hardware constraints, similar to how they took out the feet (thus ankle joint) in Fire Emblem because the game started development before the 3DS hardware was finalized and they weren't sure if their character models were going to have too many joints for the system to handle or something so they figured who looks at the fucking feet anyway and/or now they look kinda chibi. Then it turns out their precaution was unnecessary because the 3DS did ship with enough horsepower that it could support the characters having feet and ankle joints, but it was way too late in development to go back and change all the animation.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really mind the art style, but I do not like the combat screen - the animations are lacking and everyone is all bunched up. You can barely see the two people in the back half the time has the camera pans.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

@garfield518: The animations are one of the things I found most impressive about the graphics actually. The enemies especially animate really well.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, after spending some time with the demo, I might have the opposite problem. I love the art style but am a bit worried about whether I'll like the gameplay.

Sadly I think I'm leaning this way as well. I'm hoping it's just an issue of it being a demo and maybe I'll get into it more once I have the full game.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Garfield518

@zeik said:

@garfield518: The animations are one of the things I found most impressive about the graphics actually. The enemies especially animate really well.

I was talking more about the player characters, specifically their idle animations - they just kinda... stand there and fidget.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought I was going to be turned off by the art style but everything else in the demo is just so good that the art style doesn't bother me anymore. Hell I'll even go as far as to say that I really like the art now that I've been playing it for a while.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Isn't this whole game supposed to be a throwback to Final Fantasies of yore? In that case, the weird proportions are pretty understandable. Remember that tiny, weirdly shaped sprites were standard in RPG's until FFX.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I definitely prefer this graphic style over trying to make it look realistic on the 3DS.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sinusoidal

I'm more put off by the proliferation of witch costumes with garters and barely-there skirts on an almost entirely young female cast.

Where's the outrage anyway? The Polygon review hardly mentions the creepiness. Did the industry get over the sexism hysteria, or does this game get a pass for some reason?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the art, its fantastic.

Sometimes I think the hats are too big, but I get over that fairly effortlessly.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't this whole game supposed to be a throwback to Final Fantasies of yore? In that case, the weird proportions are pretty understandable. Remember that tiny, weirdly shaped sprites were standard in RPG's until FFX.

In JRPGs, perhaps. Western RPGs were more like tabletop RPGs. Either out of books, or like painted miniatures. I can't think of an 80-90's RPG on the computer that had a chibi art style unless it was trying to play like a console game.

Though, I don't remember FF8, Parasite Eve, or Legend of the Dragoon having chibi characters. FF8 is where Square started to make their in-game character models consistent. In game and cut scene characters were at the very least very close simulacrum. Unlike FF7, which had chibi map characters, combat characters, nice cinematic cut scene characters, and blocky ass cinematic cut scene characters.

I do wonder which came first. Chibi characters, or JRPGs that used that art style. The big head did allow characters to show expressions that proportional character sprites would not be able to show.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

@zelyre said:

@believer258 said:

In JRPGs, perhaps. Western RPGs were more like tabletop RPGs. Either out of books, or like painted miniatures. I can't think of an 80-90's RPG on the computer that had a chibi art style unless it was trying to play like a console game.

Though, I don't remember FF8, Parasite Eve, or Legend of the Dragoon having chibi characters. FF8 is where Square started to make their in-game character models consistent. In game and cut scene characters were at the very least very close simulacrum. Unlike FF7, which had chibi map characters, combat characters, nice cinematic cut scene characters, and blocky ass cinematic cut scene characters.

I do wonder which came first. Chibi characters, or JRPGs that used that art style. The big head did allow characters to show expressions that proportional character sprites would not be able to show.

I did mean JRPG's, though you can't tell me that the character models in late 90's DnD-based CRPG's aren't weirdly proportioned. They're not chibi, but they don't exactly look right either.

I didn't mean chibi characters, either, I meant weirdly proportioned characters in general. Final Fantasy IX still looked weird quite often, especially in the overworld. I'm no expert on mid-'90's/late 2000's WRPG's (or RPG's in general), but I can't name anything else from before Final Fantasy X where the characters were proportioned like real fucking people. Mostly, anyway. Except the hair. And Lulu's boobs.

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that chibi came before JRPG's. I think early Dragonball episodes occasionally had characters drawn in a chibi style.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bravely Default isn't Chibi.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how the characters are Final Fantasy Tactics-esque (they got no nose).

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn based combat is too slow imo. Don't care about the art style, but dat menus.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'm actually ok with the art style, music, story, characters...I just don't like the gameplay, they should've just made it like a traditional jrpg without the default/bravely system.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: chibi is Japanese for little and you can not deny that the characters are little.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

agreed with op. I prefer more realistic and mature art styles

and dark storylines

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't mind it too much, even though the chibi style is probably my least favourite part of the game. The art direction is superb though, from the design of the classes to the monsters and the cities, they absolutely beautiful.

Skullking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm turned off by the sexualization of childish characters

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Freshbandito

It just looks like they're emulating the old final fantasy sprites as 3d models to me. What bothered me more is how the woman who appears at the beginning of the quick look just looks like a palette swap Rhinoa.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like the in game character models. Normally I like chibi stuff but I find it hard to enjoy in this game. Which sucks because I actually like all of the art aside from that.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By benspyda

I like just about everything about the artstyle. It's the generic anime character archetypes that can be a little grating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.