Follow

Bravely Default

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Dec 05, 2013

An enhanced version of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. This edition was localized and released internationally, as opposed to the original Flying Fairy.

Endurance Run material?

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Seeing as how Persona 5 won't be coming out for a while, anyone else think this would make a good Endurance Run game? I could use another Endurance Run...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

By saying that, you probably insured that it never will be since the Bombsquad hates these questions. But yeah, it would be cool.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rather like the Demon's Souls "Endurance run" currently going on.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well they've already done a quick look, so probably not. I think they usually go into an Endurance Run cold.

It also doesn't really seem like their sort of game, to be honest.

majorziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@geirr said:

I rather like the Demon's Souls "Endurance run" currently going on.

Yeah, Breaking Brad is an Endurance Run in everything except name. And it's great!

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Petiew

No, the game is mostly grinding. There's no real interesting story, characters or events to make it work as an endurance run. Plus there's a big chunk of the game that's really bad.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. In the two jrpg endurance runs, the battles were the worst/most frustrating part to watch. This game is so grind heavy, it would just be boring.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 61

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone who has played a decent amount of the game thus far, I think it would be a pretty bad endurance run candidate. It's quite grindy and the story is straightforward and bad in a way that doesn't really allow for much riffing material the same way a Persona or Deadly Premonition allowed for.

Also yeah, Demon's Souls endurance run already exists.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

They probably wont ever do another traditional endurance run. They definitely will still have lets play type videos, but not under that banner. Not sure why they hate it so much

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alwaysbebombing

I assume they're going to do Persona 5, to be totally honest with you.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyrodactyl

I hear the story is kinda meh and an endurance run is never about the mechanics because these guys don't have a clue about the gameplay systems half the time. So no, it would be terrible

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@narujoe93 said:

They probably wont ever do another traditional endurance run. They definitely will still have lets play type videos, but not under that banner. Not sure why they hate it so much

They said many times it's because it takes to much commitment to get an episode out every day and it handicaps their other work obligations.

@alwaysbebombing: no way in hell. It's too predictable, they would be in trouble with atlus on their new strict no spoilers policies on internet videos and I'm not sure they will even do another endurance run ever again. The most we can expect is a referential joke or two from Vinny and Jeff on the quicklook.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, fair enough. Good points. Sigh... I want P5... :(

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By phantomzxro

I don't think so. There is not as many funny bits to get the bomb crew interested to play this whole sale. Too much of a normal rpg for them to care for that long. But it a great game by the way but it won't be a good endurance run.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cutyoface

Yeah, until they get more staff members there won't be another Endurance Run. Even then it is the question if they would do it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm not sure we'll ever see another "proper" endurance run. Breaking Brad is pretty much that now.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breaking Brad's have been the Endurance Runs for the last year. I guess the main difference is that they don't get a new episode every day. I'm sure a "real" ER won't happen for a long time, as GB is super under-staffed right now. It'll probably be a couple years, if at all.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BisonHero

Yep, every time a JRPG comes out, just keep on saying "Endurance Run material". Ya know, because the main staff loooooves JRPGs so much. It definitely had nothing to do with how Persona 4 and Chrono Trigger have far and away more fun storylines and likable characters than most of the post-FF7 JRPGs out there. Bravely Default's story isn't its strength, from what I've heard.

@narujoe93 said:

They said many times it's because it takes to much commitment to get an episode out every day and it handicaps their other work obligations.

Yeah, I don't know why people don't understand this. Committing to a daily format (which is the precedent they set with the first ER and they're stuck with) is a pain. Sometime they have to be out of the office to go to press events are E3/PAX/GDC. Sometimes they get sick. Sometimes they're busy with actual reviews, or a busy week where there is a bunch of stuff to Quick Look. So they inevitably record a bunch of them ahead of time and have to pretend they're recording them "daily", when clearly they've recorded like 8 twenty-minute episodes in one sitting.

People should be happy, between all of the weird pretty-much-ERs, between Devil May Cry, sorta Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, etc.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know why someone thinks Bravely Default would be good for an ER, really. The reason Persona 4 and to a bit lesser degree DR worked, was because both are games with a lot of strange/funny moments for the crew to react to. DR is by and large a serious ass serious JRPG, wouldn't be much fun.

And no, they're never doing an ER again.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By topsteer

@bisonhero said:

So they inevitably record a bunch of them ahead of time and have to pretend they're recording them "daily", when clearly they've recorded like 8 twenty-minute episodes in one sitting.

I was under the impression that this is how they always did it, maybe it was different early on in P4 but it definitely seemed like later on they found out it was easier to just do a bunch of episodes in one sitting.. Also didn't people look up Jeff's achievements and find out that they beat Deadly Premonition like two or three months before the videos ended? EDIT: Here is the thread I'm talking about. Also at the start of the Chrono Trigger ER Patrick mentions something about it being October or Halloween and that ER didn't start until late November.

So many people are gonna be disappointed/angry when there's no ER of Persona 5.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The best part of Bravely Default is the turn based combat system which is much better played than watched. I think action games like Dark Souls and DMC or games with a great story are the best ER candidates.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Aegon

Meh, I think there could potentially be a Persona 5 Endurance Run if it strikes their fancy. It would probably depend on if Jeff and Vinny like the characters.

If that happens though, I'll probably play through P5 before watching it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topsteer said:

@bisonhero said:

So they inevitably record a bunch of them ahead of time and have to pretend they're recording them "daily", when clearly they've recorded like 8 twenty-minute episodes in one sitting.

I was under the impression that this is how they always did it, maybe it was different early on in P4 but it definitely seemed like later on they found out it was easier to just do a bunch of episodes in one sitting.. Also didn't people look up Jeff's achievements and find out that they beat Deadly Premonition like two or three months before the videos ended?

So many people are gonna be disappointed/angry when there's no ER of Persona 5.

Yeah, they've always done the pre-recorded thing to some extent, but I believe Persona 4 was slightly more live/daily than everything after. I think they didn't record nearly as many in advance.

Deadly Premonition and Chrono Trigger they clearly recorded like weeks and weeks in advance. Chrono Trigger ran November 28 to January 24, but they goof up enough dates that I'm fairly certain the first like 15-20 episodes were all recorded in some long sessions in like late October. The last couple eps seem like they might've actually been recorded around the time they aired. I forget exactly how it played out.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure there will never be a new Endurance Run ever again, and I've kind of come to terms with that now when all the Breaking Brad and LOLS playthroughs are all the rage... It's just too bad Jeff isn't on more of those.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think the game is outstanding, but not really the most ideal ER material. Doesn't have enough wacky story stuff and character hijinks for them to latch onto like Persona.

I think they'll do another ER, but not before they get these mythical new hires Jeff wants.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would prepare for disappointment.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Wasn't the final episode of Chrono Trigger aired live?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they did record a lot of episodes ahead of time. I would, however, be surprised if they did an Endurance Run of Persona 5. I'm not even sure if we're going to get a Quick Look.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, the next 'endurance' (but not really) run is Dark Souls 2

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guys have said they aren't in the business of playing through Persona games. Anyone who thinks there will be a Persona 5 ER is going to be disappointed. Besides, there are plenty of Endurance Runs, they are just under different names and behind a pay wall now.

I feel like Patrick may have been the most likely to do an ER since he was the newest hire and therefore the least jaded about it, but with him being in Chicago I feel like the likelihood of seeing another "Endurance Run" is basically nonexistent, and really, it was before he left anyways.

I guess I could see an ER like three years or more down the line, but at this point an ER is like Half Life 3. Theoretically it could happen, but don't hold your breath.

If I were the guys I would put up a Persona 5 ER video the day it releases, and fifteen seconds into the video just scramble it out, not dissimilar to what they did when they were going to announce the next ER awhile back.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DonMFJohnson

D4 endurance run with Vinny playing and Jeff commenting.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I had a 3DS, I would have probably checked out Bravely Default, but watching the Quick Look was kind of boring. That was only 80 minutes, too.

@milkman said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

I would prepare for disappointment.

I agree, but the evil businessman in me would tell Jeff and Vinny to do an Endurance Run of Persona 5, and it has to be premium. You would piss off a lot of people, but you would get so much more subscriptions because of it.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By viking_funeral
    1. There's no way they'd do another Persona endurance run. Especially with a newly released game that the producers probably want people to go out, buy, and play first.
    2. There likely isn't going to be another Endurance Run. The guys really seem to dislike doing them.
    white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not if you want to ruin their eyesight by staring at a 3DS everyday for hours on end.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, because it's on the 3DS. Everybody knows they will first do an ER of Dark Souls 2, then Ni-No Kuni and then P5. This is the year of the endurance run after all.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fengshuigod: Patrick basically just did an endurance run of Spelunky.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not sure it would be that interesting. The best part of the game is the return of the jobs system and going through menus isn't that interesting. Plus the game can be difficult if you don't use the brave default system effectively so I could foresee a lot of deaths in tougher fights

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, Breaking Brad Demon's Souls is a stealth Endurance Run.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Patrick may have been the most likely to do an ER since he was the newest hire and therefore the least jaded about it, but with him being in Chicago I feel like the likelihood of seeing another "Endurance Run" is basically nonexistent, and really, it was before he left anyways.

If anything I think the Endurance Run might become a right of passage for new duders. Can't post an editorial on Giant Bomb without being subjected to the hazing ritual of playing a game every day until you beat it.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By mousse_gallon

If more ERs are done I would want it to be not be everyday maybe once or twice a week at most and stick with older games (like mario rpg, star ocean 2, tales of vesperia, or odin sphere).

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arach666

Vinny mentioned before they were looking into playing Yakuza 3/4,I feel those two games would fit perfectly for an ER,strong on story and ridiculousness and the gameplay isn´t annoying at all,I´d love to see them play those.

A typical JRPG doesn´t seem like a good fit for an ER,I personally wasn´t a fan of the Chrono Trigger ER.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.