Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brink

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released May 10, 2011

A multiplayer-focused, class-based first-person shooter running on id Tech 4, in which oppressive soldiers and anarchistic terrorists battle for the few remaining resources on a failed paradise known as the Ark.

First time I completely disagree with a GiantBomb review.

• 114 results
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By GunslingerPanda

This for £30 or Section 8: Prejudice for a tenner?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkstar614 said:
    " I totally agree with the Topic Creator, this game is good on PC. Glad that one of the 5 members of GB made them all hate it because of a review of the console version. Also was shot down for TNT this week because of Jeff's(one person's) review of the game.But hey! it's the internet! Weeeee "
    Aww, man, you totally figured out Jeff's evil plan. He was hell bent on making sure this game failed by savaging the 360 version so no one would play the PC version. Jeff's sole reason for reviewing games is to make sure people who don't play Call of Duty games have a miserable time, and you've FINALLY exposed him for the evil monster that he is!
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By DonPixel
    @papuccino1: 
    I pass thank you.  
    I pass thank you.  
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By scarace360
    @ShiftyMagician said:
    " Looks like a situation where the PC version will likely gather a greater audience that may keep that game alive.  Hearing about dedicated servers on the PC version and seamless netcode from that review makes it sound like they were developing for PC and porting over to consoles, only to mess up a lot of it throughout the process.  However the two complaints that are valid regardless of the platform are the dumb AI (at least true for any characters in the early levels I have heard) and that $60 is understandably quite a bit much for what looks like a multiplayer component to what should feel like a bigger game. "
    But your playing multiplayer so why care about AI.
    ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By ethan_raiden

Don't buy this game because the OP says it's good, don't not buy the game if Jeff Gertsmann doesn't like it, buy the game if YOU want to play it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Subjugation

Reviews help me form an opinion but my opinion is still my own. I'm not a sheeple and watching video coverage from many sources gave me all of the information I needed to realize I didn't want anything to do with this game. Any gamer worth their salt knows that a review isn't ever the end all be all when it comes to making a decision.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By captainfish
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By CL60

I disagree with A LOT of GB reviews.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By No0b0rAmA

It seems to be getting pretty low-average scores on PC with a 72 on metacritic.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I tend to agree with most Giant Bomb reviews.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By iamjohn
    @Darkstar614 said:
    " I totally agree with the Topic Creator, this game is good on PC. Glad that one of the 5 members of GB made them all hate it because of a review of the console version. Also was shot down for TNT this week because of Jeff's(one person's) review of the game.But hey! it's the internet! Weeeee "
    They've said numerous times that they're tired of playing FPS games on TNT, and no one else in the Whiskey family seems to like the game or care.  So what's the problem?

Oh, and if you want to blame anyone for them reviewing the console version, blame Bethesda for sending them the 360 version.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By JJOR64

Opinions are opinions.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Hitchenson

First time? Really? Damn.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @drhans said:
    "  @papuccino1: The publisher sent it to them on the 360. No one but occasional reviewers are playing pre-street date, so bots are what you end up with a lot of the time. Why is that so tough for people to understand? Jeff himself on Twitter said the PC version was a better game after spending a little bit of time with it, but if the publisher doesn't send that to you, I'm not really sure how anyone was supposed to know that, or if it would have changed the review all that drastically. "
    People also forget that alot of the complaints were based on the multiplayer side and the core mechanics too since everyone also keeps assuming that all Jeff had a problem with was that it had no single player and wasn't CoD.
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Lemmycaution217
    @Elazul said:
    " @papuccino1 said:
    " Buy this game, it's really fun and it's amazing how they removed the K:D rating. "
    No. Regardless of reviews, what I saw of the game in the Quick Look seemed extremely middling. "
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#66  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @iAmJohn said:

Oh, and if you want to blame anyone for them reviewing the console version, blame Bethesda for sending them the 360 version. "

Really?

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the review (it's far too out of my wheelhouse to have that valuable an opinion anyways) but you really believe that should be a standard for how reviews go down?
    Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mahonay

Here's what I had to say in the "What's Jeff's deal?" thread.  I think it applies here;

It's not a great game.  Brink tried to pass it's self off as a full fledged AAA title complete with a single player campaign.  Anyone who has played this game knows that is a lie.  It deserves the scores it's receiving.  If they had marketed as a multiplayer only game and actually gave some polish to it they might of had a chance at getting better scores.

Personally, I bought this game and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.  You have to really...caress the fun out of this game though.  You have to be an incredibly patient person to have any real fun with this game.  Things like having to keep trying different rooms until you find one with out latency so bad that it's unplayable.  It's a niche game that's arrived piecemeal.  It's not for everyone.  Get over it.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Aronman789

People need to stop freaking out when a game they like gets a bad review. A review represents the experiences that the writer had, not those that you have or will. 

If the reviewer had a bad experience with the game doesn't mean its shit, a review is meant to be a suggestion.

Stop complaining and go play your fucking game.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Solh0und

It seems like the PC version is the way to go. I've seen lagless matches on the PC compared to the consoles. 

*Cough*Team Fortress 2*cough*
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By iamjohn
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @iAmJohn said:

Oh, and if you want to blame anyone for them reviewing the console version, blame Bethesda for sending them the 360 version. "

Really?I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the review (it's far too out of my wheelhouse to have that valuable an opinion anyways) but you really believe that should be a standard for how reviews go down? "
    They're going to review the version they'e sent, barring it's a scenario where the publisher tries to force a review event on them and they refuse.  The onus is on Bethesda to put their best foot forward with the game and send the version they think best represents the product.  If that just so happens to be the PC version (and frankly based on the Quick Look, it doesn't look like this game would be any better on PC because it looks to just be flawed on a base level), they should've given them the PC version for review.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By napalm
    @Aronman789 said:
    " People need to stop freaking out when a game they like gets a bad review. A review represents the experiences that the writer had, not those that you have or will. 
    If the reviewer had a bad experience with the game doesn't mean its shit, a review is meant to be a suggestion.

Stop complaining and go play your fucking game.
    "
    Alas, when people read a negative review, they need to stop hopping on the bandwagon and declaring it the WORST GAME OF ALL TIME, when over half of those people haven't even played the fucking thing.

Honestly, GTFO with this bullshit. Your attitude and the WORST GAME EVER attitude is infinitely more prominent here, rather than the occasional person that defends the game.
    Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mahonay

Can we all agree that it's just a flawed game?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By napalm
    @Mahonay said:
    " Can we all agree that it's just a flawed game? "
    That would mean that posters have to be reasonable. No, Brink is the worst game to ever be created and released in the entire existence of forever. According to Giant Bomb posters, this is fact.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Gaff
    @Napalm said:
    " @Mahonay said:
    That would mean that posters have to be reasonable. No, Brink is the worst game to ever be created and released in the entire existence of forever. According to Giant Bomb posters, this is fact. "
    That would mean that people would have to look past the bad to see the good. Oh, wait.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Napalm said:
    " @Mahonay said:
    That would mean that posters have to be reasonable. No, Brink is the worst game to ever be created and released in the entire existence of forever. According to Giant Bomb posters, this is fact. "
    high five bro

Brink is poop in disc form.

Let's go get drinks and improvise karaoke over how poopy Brink is. I'll drive afterwards.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Mahonay
    No, because Call of Duty is given AAA ratings even though it has lag, imbalanced multiplayer (not saying Brink does) and the players are as dumb as Brink A.I. Brink is a much better game then Call of Duty.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#77  Edited By Hailinel

Congratulations on breaking free of the hive mind. :P
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ShaneDev

I am very meh on the whole game. As for reviews it seems like the first time in years anyone as ever talked about bots in a multiplayer game. Its bizarre for what is obviously a multiplayer focused game everyone including Jeff seems to talk about its awful singleplayer.

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#79  Edited By CosmicQueso
    @benjaebe said:
    " It might be good if you have an Nvidia card, but last I checked it didn't fucking run at all on ATI cards. "
    Completely untrue.  I've been running it on a Radeon HD 5000 series and while it's chugged occasionally for the most part it works fine.  That'll get patched.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80  Edited By EuanDewar
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Mahonay
    No, because Call of Duty is given AAA ratings even though it has lag, imbalanced multiplayer (not saying Brink does) and the players are as dumb as Brink A.I. Brink is a much better game then Call of Duty. "
    The players are as dumb as the Brink A.I.? In what way? Not an arsehole question, just genuinely curious what you meant by that.
    anypti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By anypti

i was really looking forward to this game, but im not sure now.. One point Jeff had, was that you it's not worth 60 dollar \ 50 euros with that little content..

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#82  Edited By CosmicQueso
    @Mahonay said:
    Isn't every game a flawed game?  
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Napalm said:
    " @Mahonay said:
    Show me one quote where anyone ever said that.
    Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Mahonay
    @CosmicQueso said:
    " @Mahonay said:
    Isn't every game a flawed game?   "
    That's deep.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By Ravenousrattler

Yeah its a very divisive game. Some people (like me) love the game, but alot of people don't like it or won't even give it a chance.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @EuanDewar
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Mahonay
    No, because Call of Duty is given AAA ratings even though it has lag, imbalanced multiplayer (not saying Brink does) and the players are as dumb as Brink A.I. Brink is a much better game then Call of Duty. "
    The players are as dumb as the Brink A.I.? In what way? Not an arsehole question, just genuinely curious what you meant by that.
    Most of the players of Call of Duty are 12 year olds who not only don't know how to work as a team and just spray and grenade spam. Brink A.I is way better than people who play CoD. (Not ALL people, just most :P)
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#87  Edited By shiftymagician
    @scarace360 said:
    " @ShiftyMagician said:
    " Looks like a situation where the PC version will likely gather a greater audience that may keep that game alive.  Hearing about dedicated servers on the PC version and seamless netcode from that review makes it sound like they were developing for PC and porting over to consoles, only to mess up a lot of it throughout the process.  However the two complaints that are valid regardless of the platform are the dumb AI (at least true for any characters in the early levels I have heard) and that $60 is understandably quite a bit much for what looks like a multiplayer component to what should feel like a bigger game. "
    But your playing multiplayer so why care about AI. "
    It doesn't matter what the intent of the product is.  If a developer adds features to the game and they are broken, they are held responsible for the features not working.  The value of AI in a multiplayer game will always be subjective to each and every individual and thus that point still stands in a general context.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By Brendan

Ok now I'll buy it.  

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

This game is horrible on console, at least. Broken on so many levels. I kinda want to return it, and I never return games. I'm going to wait and see if they fix it up within the week.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Evilsbane

All I can say is this, I went into the QL not having seen a Single Second of this game played, I had seen some marketing videos but never actual gameplay, and what I had heard gave me high hopes, And instantly it looked Slow, Plodding and frankly boring, its a cool concept but there are So many good shooters out there, this just isn't up to snuff.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I "disagreed" with Mercs 2, Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno... it doesn't really matter though. "
    I liked Dante's it wasn't GoW but it was fun, BL was alright, Mercs 2 is the only one I have to ask you about, I LOVED, Fucking Loved mercs one, one of my favorite Xbox games bar none. But when I played 2 I just remember (PC btw) the frame rate being completely off the charts bugs abounded, the reason I say this is because I loved Mercs, do you think its worth going back to for  a 2nd try? My computer would be able to run that game 4 times over now so not worried about performance but is it worth bothering?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By toowalrus
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    " I "disagreed" with Mercs 2, Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno... it doesn't really matter though. "
    I liked Dante's it wasn't GoW but it was fun, BL was alright, Mercs 2 is the only one I have to ask you about, I LOVED, Fucking Loved mercs one, one of my favorite Xbox games bar none. But when I played 2 I just remember (PC btw) the frame rate being completely off the charts bugs abounded, the reason I say this is because I loved Mercs, do you think its worth going back to for  a 2nd try? My computer would be able to run that game 4 times over now so not worried about performance but is it worth bothering? "
    Dude, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I fuckin' loved Mercs 2. I played on the xbox, and never really noticed any framerate issues (or maybe I just wasn't paying attention to that). I never experienced any bugs either (I didn't really count the retarted way dudes hung out of windows as bugs, it was just dopey and lazy programing.) I don't know man, I never played Mercs 1, but 2 was goofy and you could blow stuff up real good. That deck of 52 was pretty rad too.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By napalm
    @DryvBy said:
    " This game is horrible on console, at least. Broken on so many levels. I kinda want to return it, and I never return games. I'm going to wait and see if they fix it up within the week. "
    I don't know what jerry-rigged piece of shit console you're playing on, but beyond awful texture pop-in, I've had no real issues.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @TooWalrus said:
    I liked Dante's it wasn't GoW but it was fun, BL was alright, Mercs 2 is the only one I have to ask you about, I LOVED, Fucking Loved mercs one, one of my favorite Xbox games bar none. But when I played 2 I just remember (PC btw) the frame rate being completely off the charts bugs abounded, the reason I say this is because I loved Mercs, do you think its worth going back to for  a 2nd try? My computer would be able to run that game 4 times over now so not worried about performance but is it worth bothering? "
    Dude, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I fuckin' loved Mercs 2. I played on the xbox, and never really noticed any framerate issues (or maybe I just wasn't paying attention to that). I never experienced any bugs either (I didn't really count the retarted way dudes hung out of windows as bugs, it was just dopey and lazy programing.) I don't know man, I never played Mercs 1, but 2 was goofy and you could blow stuff up real good. That deck of 52 was pretty rad too. "
    Ah man I loved Mercs 1, If I could get an HD remake of that on PC ... But fuck it I have know! *Reinstalling*
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By toowalrus
    @EuanDewar said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Mahonay
    The players are as dumb as the Brink A.I.? In what way? Not an arsehole question, just genuinely curious what you meant by that. "
    He's saying they're like 3/5th of a person. Shame, I thought we were past this as a society.
    cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By cnlmullen

You can't be wrong for liking or disliking something. I disagree with reviews all of the time -- I bought Kanye's MBDTF and was totally bored by it. 

Video games are a little less subjective than other mediums, but opinion still plays a huge role.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Sooperspy

I rented it from Gamefly, and I'm having a good time with it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

It's not fantastic, but it's definitely not a 2/5 either.

That said, it's a review.
    ICF_19XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By ICF_19XX
    @Azteck said:
    " The Witcher 2 > Brink "
    Well, duh.
    idioismist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By idioismist

Yes, the Quicklook was boring. As are all Quicklooks with Jeff and Ryan (or Jeff and Brad) when Jeff doesn't like a game. He get's that whiny sigh-voice, he stays in the menus for 10 minutes to really make things dull, and he generally acts like sniveling little child. When asked what he doesn't like he says things like "(sigh) I don't know... (sigh) it's just bad." Then repeats that sentiment in myriad forms for the next 20 to 40 minutes. And for some reason, Ryan and Brad are very susceptible to getting sucked into and reinforcing his whiny spates. I can't be the only one to cringe whenever Jeff feels the need to crush Brad's enthusiasm of a game so it won't get in the way of whatever cynical bitchfest Jeff wants to go on about.

Remember that story time Quicklook? Remember how unimaginable dull that "game" was yet how fucking hilarious the Quicklook was? The point is, dull games do not make dull Quicklooks. The dullness comes entirely from the attitude of the presenters. Jeff and Ryan were exceedingly dull in the Brink Quicklook. I'm not arguing that brink is a good game or a bad game, but please let's not confuse the quality of the Quicklook with the game. Quicklooks are a product of Giantbomb and when they are dull, it is the fault of Giantbomb, not Bethesda or Splash Damage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.