Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Broken Age

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

A point-and-click adventure game from Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions, and the first huge success story for a game on Kickstarter, which firmly put Kickstarter on the map as a source for games funding.

3 years later...

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mrcraggle

The game is mere days away and the 2Player Production documentary has wrapped with episode 19 titled Last Call. I'll admit, after the release of part 1 of Broken Age, I basically fell off. I've sort of kept up but at first I watched every single episode as soon as I got the e-mail from Kickstarter but I never expected the project to run for 3 years and I'm sure the small team that worked on the game didn't either. 2014 just seemed like a crushing year for Double Fine as a studio; people moved from project to project, left the studio to work elsewhere, the whole ordeal with SB-DF9, 12 people being laid off and the underwhelming sales of part 1. Tim Schafer has been criticized a lot during this period especially of how he runs the studio and some of those would probably be correct but at the same time, he moulded my childhood with the games he created and those games and experiences will always stay with me.

For those that backed the project, have you paid much attention over the last 3 years? Did you stay up to date, participate in the forums or did you simply back it and forget about it and figured you'd play it once it was done?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I have actively avoided paying attention. I might watch the documentary stuff later (but, honestly, I probably won't get around to it...)

Anyway, I'm glad that Act 2 is finally getting released. The first part was pretty good.

Donoram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a backer, I am incredibly excited. Maybe some cynical people got pissed but for a hundred bucks a got the sausage, I learned how the sausage was made, and they're even shipping me the sausage with some condiments in a beautiful bun.

Sorry, I'm really hungry.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donoram said:

As a backer, I am incredibly excited. Maybe some cynical people got pissed but for a hundred bucks a got the sausage, I learned how the sausage was made, and they're even shipping me the sausage with some condiments in a beautiful bun.

Sorry, I'm really hungry.

The overall tone I got was, don't work in games. You have to work long hours, you'll probably get sick, your job is constantly on the line and one small thing can suddenly turn out to be a huge problem. If anything, I'm glad for the team that it's finally over. They probably still have some work to do in regards to post launch support in regards to bug fixing but I doubt they'll have to sleep in the office but it's been interesting to see how that sausage does get made. I may need to go to Herman Ze German...

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I watched the first few episodes of the documentary then decided to wait for all for them to be released before continuing. I'm pretty cool with how it all turned out.

This is the first I've heard of the underwhelming sales though, that sucks and I wonder how big an impact it has had on the studio.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane122: it's covered in the documentary. PC sales (outside of backers) was just over 100,000 but something I wasn't aware of was that they weren't paid for Costume Quest 2 because of financial issues with Majesco. Then they had a publisher cancel a game on them which forced them to fire 12 members of staff. Pretty grim end to 2014.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Backed it and forgot about it, i know I've watched some of the documentaries and i assume they were related to the Broken Age production but, nah, haven't really paid any attention to it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know with the way Spacebase DF-9 finished it made me more aware of backing an early access game and understanding what kind of investment I'm getting myself into.

In the case of Broken Age I have honestly forgotten a lot of the plot points of the game that I might have to re-play episode 1 again if episode 2 doesn't include some sort of story recap.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThunderSlash

I've just been following along with the documentary, which was pretty much worth the price of admission. The game is alright from what I've played of it. I'll probably go through the whole thing once Part 2 drops next week.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I basically filed off all the email updates into a folder and didn't bother reading them and haven't really been keeping up with the news about the game since I backed it. I got the Collector's Edition so I'm waiting for the box with all the goodies to arrive. Then I'll probably watch the whole documentary.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The second act is available for backers.

Also, reviews have started coming in. So far, a lot of 9/10s.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never participated in the forums, but never missed a documentary chapter, honestly the documentary alone was more than worth my 15$, so much so that i buyed the game again for 25 $ when chapter 1 was launched. However, if there was no documentary i still really like the game and am very much looking forward to playing it from start to finish this weekend.

Even with all the delays, layoffs and stuff that has surounded doublefine lately, i'm actually more eager to play the game now than i was when i backed it 3 years ago, and also i'm even more willing than ever to have confidence in their work and to buy their products.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing the first couple hours, it's interesting though, they certainly responded to the criticism about difficulty even if it feels like they went overboard on a few things. I haven't seen any major technical hiccups so far, but the UI still leaves a lot to be desired and some puzzles feel far to finicky with it. I think with everything going on with DoubleFine a lot of people are going to be less willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, which I don't think is undeserved. Seeing some early negative press before I started playing (Rock Paper Shotgun) colored my expectations a little but I think I'm liking it more than their reviewer did so far. It'll be tough to say until I finish it though.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought Broken Age back in the day because I loved the old style adventure games but for some reason the style of Broken Age just didnt appeal to me visually. It is a beautiful game but for me the graphics are a bit too much like something out of a children´s book. Everything has a kind of soft animation style that puts me off for some reason.

I think the game is a bit too much of a fairytale kind of a game when it comes to its graphics. Especially the world of Vella with its people living apparently in the clouds seems very unrealistic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nardak said:

I bought Broken Age back in the day because I loved the old style adventure games but for some reason the style of Broken Age just didnt appeal to me visually. It is a beautiful game but for me the graphics are a bit too much like something out of a children´s book. Everything has a kind of soft animation style that puts me off for some reason.

I think the game is a bit too much of a fairytale kind of a game when it comes to its graphics. Especially the world of Vella with its people living apparently in the clouds seems very unrealistic.

I think the visuals are at least a little misleading, it's a fantasy world sure, but the story isn't that lighthearted when you get into the real details of it. At least one reveal in Act 2 made me say "that's pretty messed up", but it's still played in a pretty light way. In that respect it feels like how Pixar movies hide deeper plot threads that the kids won't exactly notice, but the adults might appreciate.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, why can't there just be an option to start Act 2 immediately...? I don't have a save file right at the end, so it seems like I need to redo a bunch of stuff in order to get to Act 2 =/

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@nardak said:

Actually, just to be fact police for just a second, Vella and where she is from is not in the clouds. I won't get into spoilers with you, but there are other people who live in clouds for very funny reasons. Well whether or not it's funny to someone is subjective, but I think it's funny.

Anyway, Vella ends up there at one point, but isn't from there nor does she stay there.

It's perfectly fine if you don't like it and what not, but I just had to correct that detail. =)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BTW, someone on the Steam forums linked to this. It has a Act 1 endgame save file, if anyone else need it.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By SSully

I watched the first few episodes, but eventually fell off. I plan to watch them all soon.

I stayed away from the game completely until the first part was released. Played it and loved it. I am downloading the second part now and most likely will replay the whole thing. Looking forward to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the second part, I think it's better than some of the more negative reviews, but I probably wouldn't consider it as anywhere near as good as some of the 'classic' adventure games. Still, I think this is probably my favorite DoubleFine game to date, as someone who never cared much about Psychonauts, I hope they get to make another adventure game after this now that they have the tech for it. I don't think I'd be jumping on another Kickstarter or Early Access product from them though.

Also, total thing clocked in at just over 9 hours for me though I looked up solutions for some of the puzzles I was getting stuck on.

superkebabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backed it, never followed it at all, didn't even play part one. My computer probably won't even run it.

Upgrading later this year, and will play through and watch the documentary afterward. Looking forward to hopefully playing with an less biased and more objective perspective/context.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.