Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Broken Age

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

A point-and-click adventure game from Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions, and the first huge success story for a game on Kickstarter, which firmly put Kickstarter on the map as a source for games funding.

What part of the DF Kickstarter did you like better?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By BisonHero

Poll What part of the DF Kickstarter did you like better? (35 votes)

Broken Age 6%
    The documentary about the making of Broken Age 94%

I find myself falling in the Vinny camp of "Broken Age is good, but not great." I actually liked most of the puzzles, but the followthrough on the story and character arcs leaves something to be desired.

On the other hand, I think the documentary is pretty phenomenal, and provides some interesting insight into the challenges of trying to run a medium-ish developer that isn't publisher-owned and tries to self-fund where it can.

• 
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Definitely the doc, not because Broken Age isn't great, but because there is literally nothing like the DFA doc out there. It's been amazing having that level of access to the development process.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

I have some major issues with Broken Age as a whole, but I still loved the game.

The reason why is how it treats most of the second characters. While all those on the spaceship fell flat, I liked how it treats the individual ark of each character on earth. The two act structure makes all characters have a before and an after. If the story of the game is not great as a whole I think the individual arks of most of the secondary character is extremely well handled. Thus I really loved the game.

The documentary itself was interesting, but I wasn't the biggest fan of. I liked it.

So my answer is the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I still haven't even played Act 2, although the first was pretty cool. So the documentary wins out for me.

It was certainly interesting in a lot of ways, but my biggest takeaway is the horrid project management skills on display. I know managing creatives is challenging, but I was amazed with how they seemed to miss every milestone. Lots of meetings that seemed to accomplish very little (with Greg Rice's stressed phoney smile appearing in almost every episode). Crappy scheduling, poor allocation of resources, and immense pressure on the team.

Look, I like Double Fine and their games, but I lost some respect over the course of this thing for Tim. But then I gained a lot of respect for the studio because the members of the team dug in and pulled it off. They really care and put everything they have into this project.

I'm glad the game's done and came out well. And I'm glad the documentary was as transparent as it was. So Broken Age is a super cool thing all around.

triplestan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually really enjoyed what I've played of the game (though I've only played Act 1, so take that as you will).

The documentary was on a whole other level though. In terms of in-depth looks at real ass game development, it was nothing short of amazing.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

I didn't back the kickstarter but the 5 or 6 videos I watched on Youtube are fascinating. I never had a real idea of the scope of work that goes into even a relatively small video game but man, that's a lot of stuff to have to do.

Can you imagine the scope and work load on something AAA? And then imagine trying to produce a game that size. Seems impossible.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Avanzato

I didn't like the finished game but the videos are a fascinating view of why it ended up that way.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I backed the Kickstarter for the documentary, not the game.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ThunderSlash

I like the game, but the documentary was on another level. Aren't 2 Player Productions doing another one for the Mighty Number 9 folks?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.