Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Broken Age

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jan 14, 2014

A point-and-click adventure game from Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions, and the first huge success story for a game on Kickstarter, which firmly put Kickstarter on the map as a source for games funding.

With the Broken Age Beta coming tomorrow...NO SPOILERS

• 77 results
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#51 chaser324  Moderator

I've only played about 20 minutes, but that's more than enough for me to recommend it without any reservations.

Imaginative. Well written. Beautiful. The classic point-and-click adventure game is born anew, and the pedigree of the development team definitely shows.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By abendlaender

I played for about one hour and "beat" Shay's first chapter and all I can say is: I'm glad I backed this. It looks great, it plays great, it has a lot of charm and humor (although the humor is much more subtle so far, no "LOLS" up till now. And I'm totally fine with that). Voice Acting seems great, even though Frodo seems a bit....bored? Not sure if this is on purpose but it seems a bit off at some point. Still: If the rest of the game is as good then....well then this is a really, really, really good game.

If you want to be extremly harsh: There are some minor bugs (I hesitate to call them bugs but I don't know a better word for it). I think two times the "scene" ended a bit to early cutting of a word of the dialogue and sometimes the audio seems to be a bit off. But other than that? I dunno, call me biased cause I'm an early backer but I really love it so far.

The classic point-and-click adventure game is born anew

Daedalic is flipping you off so hard right now.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Darji
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 chaser324  Moderator

@chaser324 said:

I'm sure the team at Wadjet Eye is pretty pissed off about it too.

To be fair to them, they make some great games, but they don't have Tim Schafer or the luxury of a $3M+ development budget.

Also, in the case of Wadjet Eye, I don't know that they're necessarily even shooting for making something like the old LucasArts games. They seem much more interested in telling stories with a darker and grittier tone - classic detective noir kinda stuff.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@abendlaender said:

@chaser324 said:

I'm sure the team at Wadjet Eye is pretty pissed off about it too.

To be fair to them, they make some great games, but they don't have Tim Schafer or the luxury of a $3M+ development budget.

Also, in the case of Wadjet Eye, I don't know that they're necessarily even shooting for making something like the old LucasArts games. They seem much more interested in telling stories with a darker and grittier tone - classic detective noir kinda stuff.

Still, making grandiose statements like the genre is born anew does ignore the work others have done to keep the genre alive since the old Lucasarts days. It's no different than those people that seem to ignore the variety of 2D fighting games released between Third Strike and Street Fighter IV. That Broken Age is a high quality example of the genre shouldn't relegate games that came before it to has-been status.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@hailinel: I agree. Even as I wrote it, I knew it was hyperbolic beyond reason. Once you shift into box quote mode, it's hard to get out.

"I was blown away!" - IGN.com

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't received my email! Does anyone know who I contact?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@cheesebob: Try just going to the Humble Bundle site and seeing if you can claim the key (Go to 'My Library' and check 'Claim Past Purchases'). I was able to do that before I actually got the e-mail.

If that doesn't work, try using the Key Resender.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Found it! Problem was that I had changed email addresses since I backed the kickstarter.

I can't seem to find the DRM-Free version though. Is that coming later?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 chaser324  Moderator

@cheesebob: The DRM-Free version is only going to be released after Act II is out.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I hear the game is super easy. Doesn't sound so great to be honest.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 chaser324  Moderator

@flacracker: If all you want is difficult puzzles, then you probably are going to be disappointed. The puzzles I've seen so far lean more on being neat or clever, but personally, I'm fine with that. This game is much more about crafting an engaging world and characters than challenge.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So I hear the game is super easy. Doesn't sound so great to be honest.

It wasn't difficult, but it never got boring either.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I haven't enjoyed a point-and-click adventure game this much since Machinarium.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I just finished it. The puzzels are never that hard but I'm totally fine with it. I have to say it seems a bit short (I beat it in ~3 hours) but it was well worth my time. It'll be interesting to see how act II connects the ends of both characters cause they seem a bit...off

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AMyggen

Great to see this game getting lots of positive Buzz.

jfbguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Took me roughly 3 hours to finish Act 1. Great characters, very good writing, and actually laughed out loud at the jokes. Would like Act 2. Great ending of first act so you should not have it spoiled.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#68  Edited By golguin

I must be slow because it took me a little under 3 hours to just finish Vella's section. I was also kinda thorough with all the dialogue options once I realized the game essentially had unique dialogue for all new items on every NPC. I did a lot of back tracking to see what X character said when presented with items outside of their area. I also got stick for like 20 minutes on the riddle until I really stopped to think about it and realized that the game had given hints to its solution.

I'll play Shay's section later today.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#69 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Just finished it, I quite enjoyed it, and I am also rather interested on where they take the story from here.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am a backer and have watched about 3 or 4 of the documentry episodes. I am also debating on waiting to play the full thing or not. Regardless the game looks beautiful and I cant wait to dive in.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ssully: I personally really dig the pause they're giving us to speculate how things turn out in Act 2. Act 1 is big enough not to make you feel left out either.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Darji

Is it only me or is Shay's part really boring? I really enjoyed Vella's part but Shay? Man....

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@darji said:

Is it only me or is Shay's part really boring? I really enjoyed Vella's part but Shay? Man....

Kinda. Since the setting of his story is mainly around the spaceship. I like those yarn dolls though

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@golguin: Yeah it took me just about 3 hours to play Vella's section as well. I'm not sure how people are beating both halves in that amount of time unless they're skipping every cutscene and dialogue choice.

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews and initial impressions have been really good so far. At the same time, expect confusion over it's "release" to create a literal tidal wave of hate. Most of the people I know are steering clear of this game like the plague ever since they announced it would be broken up into two parts and available as "early access"

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it, loved it, spotted Vinny's name in the backer credits.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it wrong that I'm more looking forward to the next episode of the documentary than the next act of the game? The game was great and all, but the documentary is really what I signed up for and anyone who simply skipped over it is missing out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.