Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Broken Sword

Franchise »

Broken Sword is a Point and Click style game. You play as George Stobart - A lovable American tourist in Paris. After a clown blows up the cafe he was in, his adventure takes him throughout Europe in search of some answers.

OH GOD NEW BROKEN SWORD game and in 2D!

• 58 results
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

FUNDED!

No Caption Provided

UPDATE!!!:

Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is now on Kickstarter

No Caption Provided
    Revolution adventures have had considerable success - but the traditional publishing model has prevented us receiving the required royalties to fund future games. With limited financial reserves we have been unable to fund our own titles and so we have not benefited from their success. Now you can help us to change this. For the first time in our history, we will be funding an original adventure game: Broken Sword - the Serpent's Curse. This will give us full creative freedom, and let us work with you. We promise to keep you up to date with all aspects of development and we will value your support.
    Development of the game is going well - we hope that you like what you see. Kickstarter funding will allow us to proceed at a faster rate, and ensure the game achieves its ambitious design. Without this funding we will risk having to cut back features and delay the game's release.
    Whether you are able to back this project or not, if you're a fan of the Broken Sword games then please share this with your friends so they can help make the next Broken Sword the best game yet!

Welp, there goes $100 for my most anticipated game! XD

Original Post:

Sounds like a new Broken Sword game, and possibly in 2D!

If the new title is the fifth instalment in the Broken Sword saga, it will be Revolution’s first fresh iteration of the point-and-click adventure series since 2006.
    “We’ve risked the frustration of the fans,” says Cecil. “They know that we’re writing a new game. We’re going to be announcing it with a fanfare.”
    Cecil claims the decision to move back into 2D for the new game is not down to criticism of the third and fourth entires in the series, but he did acknowledge that games can “lose something” with the switch to 3D. Cecil said: “When you move to 3D it changes the essence. With 2D the game feels like a classic adventure. But in our next game we will use 3D where appropriate.
    “Visually in 2D we can go for a ‘2D look’. Layout artists bend perspective to suit a mood, whereas the 3D camera is literal,” added Cecil.
    The game will be a retail and digital release for PC, Mac, iOs and Android, but Cecil - a “huge fan” of Xbox Live marketplace and PlayStation Store - has not ruled out console versions.
    “These are extraordinarily exciting times for Revolution," he says. "Things have changed radically with the digital distribution model, especially when you have brands people recognise.
    “After quite some wait we are thrilled we are writing original games.”
    No Caption Provided

http://www.edge-online.com/news/revolution-software-unveil-new-adventure-next-month

First two games are adventure classics, but I really liked Sleeping Dragon too. Never finished Angel of Death, though, got to Istanbul. Nico Collard is widely regarded as one of the best female videogame characters. Stobbart and Collard's interactions were sweet, hilarious, and thrilling which is what I liked most in the character interactions of Uncharted games.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

OH GOD!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pie

I need to go play/replay them now!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zyn

Yay!

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HiCZoK

I am replaying broken sword1 (original - not terrible directors cut) on scummvm on my android :D

For 15 years I wanted to play this and finally got to it. Amazing game

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AssInAss

@HiCZoK said:

I am replaying broken sword1 (original - not terrible directors cut) on scummvm on my android :D

Oh wow, didn't know ScummVM was on Android! I'll have to try this :D

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Steve_C

Awesome. I really need to play the original. I remember playing a ps1 demo a bunch of times, but only played BS2 in the end.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

OH DUDE! Yesss! :D

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rattle618

I still have to finish the first one, damn it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This would be great, but I'd hope they do something similar to what Telltale did with the new Monkey Island game and kind of just pretend certain games in the series never happened.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Awesome. I really need to go back and play the first two Broken Sword games to completion. What I played of them was awesome, but I never finished them.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HiCZoK

@AssInAss said:

@HiCZoK said:

I is and it works fantastic! At least BS1 and 2

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jaktajj

OH GOD!!!!!!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That's awesome news! Side note, if you haven't heard, the remastered original is on sale on GOG right now for the day.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ducksworth

Maaaan, I have almost no interest in this game but now I feel obliged to play the older ones just to see if I should be excited. GOG, here I come!

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JoeBigfoot
    @HiCZoK said:

Played the original and the director's cut, thought they were both ok. The only one i didnt like was the last one, the angel of death. 

Either way I'm excited about this, my girlfriend loves these games, means we'll have something new to play!
    JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By JamesJeux007

Oh please god no...

Broken Sword 1 & 2 are among my favorite point & click games and I played and replayed them so much I know them almost by heart by now. The 3rd installment, The Sleeping Dragon, was "meeeeh" mostly because of the controls and the not so great QTEs (and the fact that this game was BUSTED on the PS2). The 4th Broken Sword, The Angel of Death, was one of the crappiest P&C... No, GAME, I've ever played. The scenario was uninspired and dumb, the voice-acting was bad, the gameplay (i.e. P&C puzzles) was abysmal, the graphics were aweful... And then came Broken Sword Director's cut which, from what I've heard and saw (so I don't really know), was not very good at all. So... Yeah. Not excited whatsoever.

But in case you're wondering, Broken Sword 1 and 2 are great point & click games, with really funny dialogue, a great plot, good voice-acting and well-designed puzzles. And they are availible on GOG :'D (And I'm glad they now include the original game. Before, you could only get the "Director's Cut" :'/)

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HiCZoK

I've finished Only Broken Sword 3 and remember loving it.

Played bs2 demo when I was a kid so couldn't appreciate advernture games back then. Now I am all on adventure games and finalyl playing whole trilogy. (Don't like angel of death too).

Still. My fav adv is Black Mirror. Have 2,3 games but not played them yet. adv games are soo long

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By kindgineer

@AssInAss: I've been staring at this franchises entries for a while now wondering if I would enjoy them. I absolutely hated Monkey Island, but thoroughly enjoyed Resonance and Gemini Rue.

Would I like this game, and it's franchise, or should I stop staring and pass.

PS: I feel weird replying to "AssinAss," lol.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust

I loved Broken Sword 3 too. A pity they aren't making one similar too it. But any Broken Sword is good!

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AssInAss

@ck1nd said:

@AssInAss: I've been staring at this franchises entries for a while now wondering if I would enjoy them. I absolutely hated Monkey Island, but thoroughly enjoyed Resonance and Gemini Rue.

Would I like this game, and it's franchise, or should I stop staring and pass.

PS: I feel weird replying to "AssinAss," lol.

Gorgeous hand-animated visuals in 1st two games by Dave Gibbons (Watchmen comic). Hilarious writing. This is a very relaxing and mature adventure series that any fan of Wadget Eye games like you would like. If you like Indiana Jones, globe-trotting, and great writing. Brilliant and charming characters in the form of George Stobbart (the Nathan Drake of his time) and Nico Collard.

Some of the puzzles can be obtuse, but this is perfect to have the family around solve puzzles together. I remember playing Broken Sword 2 and 3 with my sister and cousins (local co op? :P) playing together, figuring it all out.

No Caption Provided
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

Everyone thank Double Fine and Telltale.

Also, GET HYPE! BROKEN SWORD! FUCKING WOOT!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I sometimes feel as if I missed out having never played a adventure game. I wonder if I would enjoy them.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Broken Sword 1 and 2 remain two of the best point and clickers ever. Broken Sword 3 was a pretty decent puzzler, and I like it.

Broken Sword 4 was shit. Utter shit. Completely listless voice acting, poor character animation, dumb story.

If you want to get ahold of Broken Sword 1 and 2, get them from GOG.com. Purchasing it there gives you both versions of both games, the original and Director's Cut. The Director's Cut of 1, while not awful, completely changes George Stobbart's character in the opening scene. The DC of 2 was unchanged as far as I could tell when I last played it, aside from graphics of course.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AssInAss

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I sometimes feel as if I missed out having never played a adventure game. I wonder if I would enjoy them.

I love introducing adventure games to a family or relatives, it's the perfect introductory genre for anyone. Broken Sword is a pretty good way to get introduced to the genre, as are the recent Wadget Eye games like Resonance (they did a Quick Look a few days ago) or Telltale's more cinematic Walking Dead.

One of the very best along with Broken Sword and Lucasarts games is The Longest Journey.

Lucien21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Lucien21
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AssInAss
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By damodar

OH GOD!

guyver0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By guyver0

I've given $100! this needs to be made or i will cry!

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SamStrife

@HiCZoK said:

I've just done this and it was awesome!

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Guyver0yk: It will hit the goal by the end of the week, pretty much guaranteed.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SamStrife

@AssInAss said:

@HiCZoK said:

Yeah, I run a load of ScummVM games on my tablet and they work near flawlessly. They're awesome to chill out on a sofa/in bed with.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SamStrife

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Broken Sword 1 and 2 remain two of the best point and clickers ever. Broken Sword 3 was a pretty decent puzzler, and I like it.

Broken Sword 4 was shit. Utter shit. Completely listless voice acting, poor character animation, dumb story.

If you want to get ahold of Broken Sword 1 and 2, get them from GOG.com. Purchasing it there gives you both versions of both games, the original and Director's Cut. The Director's Cut of 1, while not awful, completely changes George Stobbart's character in the opening scene. The DC of 2 was unchanged as far as I could tell when I last played it, aside from graphics of course.

I really can't be bothered to play the directors cut because I hated the Nico part so much (it felt really unnecessary). What does it do to ruin George's character?

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ducksworth

Why is Beneath Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress one of the "rewards" for pledging $50? Those games are already free on GOG. I might pledge $50, I haven't played any of the games but only heard good things.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By zyn

FUCK YEAH! I hope it gets funded.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Well, I've just given them $100. Never played the later two games, but I think I'll replay the first two again now at least.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WickedFather

My girlfriend says "The door was securely locked" in a French accent after closing it when she's 'receptive'.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

Love the franchise dearly, first two games are two of my all time favourites. I enjoyed the third game to, despite it's stupid box puzzles. Backing this needs no thinking.

Just hearing Rolf Saxon's voice was enough for me. Already noticed a few familiar characters.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By UncleDisco

Threw $50 at them. I just hope that it dosen't end up having a bullshit ending, like 4 did... god damn.. that ending was the worst.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@FlemmingM said:

Threw $50 at them. I just hope that it dosen't end up having a bullshit ending, like 4 did... god damn.. that ending was the worst.

Dude the whole game was the worst.

Dude.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MachoFantastico

Yeah, its interesting hearing Charles Cecil talk about the changes they made in the franchise. Get the feeling the publishers had more sway then Charles liked, the reason he's gone with Kickstarter and I don't blame him. Allows him to make a proper Broken Sword.

Love the new look, the 3D stuff reminds me of the Runaway stuff but it still as the artistic style that (being totally honest here) made me actually want to visit Paris. :D

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Enjoyed the pitch video, the one complaint I have is that Nico sounds like a heavy smoker, or that she's in her 60s.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MachoFantastico

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Enjoyed the pitch video, the one complaint I have is that Nico sounds like a heavy smoker, or that she's in her 60s.

Pretty sure it's the original Nico voice actress, I know they've had a few different women playing her in past games.

Her voice sounds different because... well age! Rolf Saxon hasn't lost that classic tone though.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By UncleDisco

@dekkadekkadekka said:

@FlemmingM said:

Dude the whole game was the worst.

Dude.

I liked it.. well except for the ending. But I do think it's the weakest game in the series.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@TrueEnglishGent said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Pretty sure it's the original Nico voice actress, I know they've had a few different women playing her in past games.

Her voice sounds different because... well age! Rolf Saxon hasn't lost that classic tone though.

Is it? I guess it'll grow on me, but it just seems out of place for that character.

Unless of course Nico herself is a heavy smoker, in which case it fits!

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@SamStrife said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I really can't be bothered to play the directors cut because I hated the Nico part so much (it felt really unnecessary). What does it do to ruin George's character?

I don't want to say I'm the only person put out by it, but I probably am.

In the original, the opening has a more mysterious tone, along the lines of "and it was to change my life, forever..."

In the director's cut he's way more forthright, more in the tone of "I am going to catch these guys if it's the last thing I do."

The lines are in the same spot, right at the beginning of the game. None of the rest of the game is changed, however just from that single line, George's motivation changes entirely. He goes from simply wanting to solve a mystery, to revenge.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SamStrife

@dekkadekkadekka: Yup, I can totally see why that bothers you. It changes George completely. I always got the impression that he set out to catch the guys because he felt like the police were never going to get the job done (psychic police work for instance) and he quickly got in over his head to the point where he could only go deeper. That makes it sound like he has a hero complex.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Karkarov

While I have never played the Broken sword games or been a point and click fan I can see why they appeal to people and know the original Broken Sword games are serious classics. However the 400k goal may be reaching a little too far. Either way I hope it makes it.

dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@SamStrife: Just to show I'm not crazy, here's a video of the Director's Cut line (skip to 2m20s)

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Baillie

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Are you crazy? The first thing I thought was, thank god they've got the right voice actor back!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.