Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 07, 2013

Two brothers are on a search for a cure for their dying father.

I feel like a monster for not enjoying Brothers *Spoilers*

• 63 results
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I would have liked it more if I wasn't constantly wrestling with the controls. When the older brother died I almost fist-pumped because that meant I could just focus on moving one character with one stick. There were some moments that made me smile. Like the bully in the beginning getting his comeuppance or making the mad scientist dance. I also got a particularly good kick out of becoming the idol to save the woman. It was pretty cute.

All that said though, the controls sucked. There's absolutely no reason why you can't magnetize the younger to the older brother and break them up as necessary. The kind of thing Starbreeze was going for is only effective if the player doesn't loathe the controls.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By glots

Whole game had this wonderful short movie vibe to it, which I loved about Journey as well, as another videogame example. Not having any journal entries, loading screen information dumps or the likes was also a great decision, as you could just sink into the world and figure things out on your own. Techincally it also looked great, but I never got too comfy with the controllers, even if it was only a few times that those lead to my death, instead of just running one of the characters against a wall constantly.

Ending didn't really tug my heartstrings as well as TLOU earlier this year. Neither did the controller thing, at least not on the "OHMYGODWOWZERS!" level. After this and the TV boss of DmC, I feel like every time Brad says some moment in a game is amazing beyond belief, I should just assume it'll be "somewhat neat" at best.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I thought it was stale. Some sections were gorgeous but I think a majority of Brothers is super boring. It was too long to keep me invested and most of what happens is dull and lifeless even though the ending demands a strong emotional bond to the characters. The two brothers were cardboard and the interesting things about them (the younger brother being afraid of water, the older brother being militaristic) were underutilized. I thought everything up until the end was just underwhelming and lacked identity. I loved what they did with the controls at the end but the 4 hours prior to that 15 minute segment weren't very compelling.

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just beat it and went to post the same thing. I just...idk. I'll admit I was always playing the game slightly sleepy, so I'd keep accidentally moving one brother or another. I honestly would have preferred if I could alternate between brothers witha button, idk.

It was pretty, doe.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Felt manipulative to me right from the beginning, that it was poking and prodding you for an emotional response and it just made me roll my eyes.

As a result I was thinking very early on, "Either one of these kids is gonna die, or they're going to find the cure and return to their father and find they were too late or it didn't work and he's gonna die". Old Yeller was more subtle.

This is not me trying to pretend to be a manly, tough-guy, emotional brick wall either. There are episodes of Futurama for God's sake that put a lump in my throat, and one in particular I refuse to watch ever again.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For me, it was the language used that I didn't like. Felt like The Sims talking back and forth. And a boss fight taken straight from Limbo.

@Royce_Mccutcheon: Out of curiosity, was it Jurassic Bark? That episode totally got to me.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@juzie said:

Well if you didn't like Ico then you should avoid Brothers. It's not for everyone but if you like that kind of game then it is pretty good imo... + the genre is so niche what other games can you play instead?

Late to the party but I have to say: I absolutely adore Ico but really really dislike Brothers. I don't think it's about liking a genre, I like the genre just fine. I don't like Brothers' lacklustre gameplay and how there is nothing subtle about its story and narrative. And then there is the point made by @sharkethic: there is no time to really become attached to the brothers as characters.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By SharkEthic

@rvone said:

@juzie said:

Well if you didn't like Ico then you should avoid Brothers. It's not for everyone but if you like that kind of game then it is pretty good imo... + the genre is so niche what other games can you play instead?

Late to the party but I have to say: I absolutely adore Ico but really really dislike Brothers. I don't think it's about liking a genre, I like the genre just fine. I don't like Brothers' lacklustre gameplay and how there is nothing subtle about its story and narrative. And then there is the point made by @sharkethic: there is no time to really become attached to the brothers as characters.

Yup, definitely not a genre thing - I really like Ico as well.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I thought it was ok, even though it was somewhat spoiled for me it didn't do anything where things have been spoiled and I still felt something. The ending with the youngest returning home was fantastic but the rest was….meh. I felt kinda confused as everything turned really dark and "disturbing" towards the last third with what felt like no apparent reason. The controls were ok, I played in one sitting and got the hang of it by halfway through, yeah it was just ok. I haven't played a lot of games from last year but everything else I played I enjoyed more.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@galacticgravy said:

I found the puzzles extremely lame, I found the controls cumbersome and annoying and never acclimated to them. Up until the last sequence I was still having trouble running both of them at the same time. That could just be me. I'd make a terrible drummer.

The ending. I couldn't care less. Really. I have 2 brothers (middle child) and this didn't elicit anything from me. This is strange because I cry like a toddler at movies. I was expecting to feel something.

I don't think it looks amazing. It looks alright, and I like the Scandinavian folklore styling, but it didn't look amazing to me.

Things I liked: The achievements were nicely done. They rewarded exploration and you didn't get any for just beating the game. It's short, and I really appreciate that (and not just because I didn't like it).

I feel weird that I don't like it. I feel like I missed something, or that I didn't play the same game as everyone else.

I don't think the puzzles were puzzles at all, more exploration and a way to force you to consider the relationship between your hands, but I guess people call them puzzles as a habitual descriptor. IMO, the point of the "puzzles" and controls wasn't for you to acclimate to them; it's like a two-hour game, so what good is acclimating? The controls were an integral part of the story about relationship and loss.

The environments were interesting and scenic, if not technical wonders. Anyway, I agree that the achievements were good - I wish more games would use creative achievements to encourage exploration and other things you might not do otherwise, instead of doling them out like bait for nothing.

In short, yes you are a monster. Unless you cried when Goose died in Top Gun, admit to that and you are redeemed.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The ending was rough on me, I really don't like emotional games or movies or anything for that reason, I'm weak. I loved the way they implemented the mechanics at the end as well, as someone called it, "the LT moment". That said, the game was a pain to control and the gameplay felt more like an obstacle to seeing the story and the environments, rather than something to enjoy. You know a game is in trouble when they have a whole section of the game that is (somewhat) challenging only because the controls are awkward (specifically talking about the wolves here).

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't give a fuck about Brothers and I feel just fine, it's a game mang, who cares? You like it or you don't.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.