Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Brutal Disappointment

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By MetalGearSunny

*sigh*
     *sigh*
    As you can tell from the "Brutal" part of my blog title, I rented Brutal Legend this week. As you can tell from the "Disappointment" part of my blog, it's a total let-down. For one, yes, this game is an RTS. I tried to get past that when I first heard that the game was this style, but as I played I found it impossible to look past. It's an RTS. And it's not that good.

For one, you have no HUD. How in the world would I know that one of my squads (or groups or army, whatever the hell you want to call it) has been killed? You don't, unless you look on the field yourself, which I found to be a hassle because you're doing a million other things in between. And on top of that, I find the squads are really hard to manage.

The game also tries to do a million things at once. An open world game, a hack and slash, a rhythm like game (which is another thing that gets in the way of the RTS bits), a racing game, and I think you get the point.

Instead of throwing a bunch of random gameplay elements together and call it a game, just focus on one part of the game. It's a really interesting idea, which could be good but if the ideas were fleshed out.

And now I'm debating on if I should say "fuck this game" or attempt to finish it. Maybe the latter. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking to myself I considered buying this game. I almost payed $60 for it. Man. What a bummer.    
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MetalGearSunny

*sigh*
     *sigh*
    As you can tell from the "Brutal" part of my blog title, I rented Brutal Legend this week. As you can tell from the "Disappointment" part of my blog, it's a total let-down. For one, yes, this game is an RTS. I tried to get past that when I first heard that the game was this style, but as I played I found it impossible to look past. It's an RTS. And it's not that good.

For one, you have no HUD. How in the world would I know that one of my squads (or groups or army, whatever the hell you want to call it) has been killed? You don't, unless you look on the field yourself, which I found to be a hassle because you're doing a million other things in between. And on top of that, I find the squads are really hard to manage.

The game also tries to do a million things at once. An open world game, a hack and slash, a rhythm like game (which is another thing that gets in the way of the RTS bits), a racing game, and I think you get the point.

Instead of throwing a bunch of random gameplay elements together and call it a game, just focus on one part of the game. It's a really interesting idea, which could be good but if the ideas were fleshed out.

And now I'm debating on if I should say "fuck this game" or attempt to finish it. Maybe the latter. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking to myself I considered buying this game. I almost payed $60 for it. Man. What a bummer.    
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

The ending is pretty good. If you can stomach it, I would recommend doing so just for the end. It isn't a particularly long game either. 

I share your thoughts on the gameplay, but I loved it's style. The characters and setting really did it for me. 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @DanielJW: I agree, the story and characters are great, but it feels like a major chore to go through the RTS sections of the game just to know what happens.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
    " @DanielJW: I agree, the story and characters are great, but it feels like a major chore to go through the RTS sections of the game just to know what happens. "
    It is, yes. I binged on it one night, after deciding I hated it just to try and plow through. I burned out on it, and ended up not coming back for about a month. It was rewarding to finish... but yeah you shouldn't have to endure a crappy game for a good story. 
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By r0k1ll

If they took out the RTS, and made the world more dense, had character interaction, and more variety in quests, it would have been an amazing game.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bonbolapti

I said "fuck this game" by beating it. 
    My favorite part of the game was wandering around, but that kind of gets borring.. ffaaasssttttt

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I thought the demo was okay, but it never sold me on the game. I doubt I'll ever play it.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

This game was such a disaster.  

Everything except the story sucked ass, the setting was cool for a while but there was nothing to do in the world and it was so baron. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

Harsh dude, harsh.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny: 

I agree.  I loved the game but hated it's quick slip into a messy RTS game.  RTS games do not work in an environment with no mouse control.  I was so thrilled at the hack and slash and driving bits but the RTS stuff, which the centers around, was very poorly executed.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By vidiot

This game was marketed in a manner that really annoyed me. The RTS elements were behind closed doors up to the game's launch, and they're pretty much the central mechanics. Double-Fine proved themselves when it comes to building a varied and artistic world. The presentation: Spot on.

You do not just jump into making an openworld game and expect everything to function correctly.
    You do not just jump into making an RTS game and expect everything to function correctly.

More importantly: You don't dive in head first trying to do both. You don't have experience yet tackling the genre, why are you trying to be so much for your first attempt. It's no surprise the action-adventure elements all work, Double-Fine has past experience. 

If anything Tim Shafer's comments about the game latter not being an RTS was indicative of the theory that this game's design wasn't focused to begin with. 

Now with that being said: I wouldn't mind seeing Brutal Legend 2. 
    Assassins Creed 2 has given me hope that developers are ready to change and learn from glaring game-breaking faults such as this. If I hated the first Assassins Creed, (boy did I ever) then a sequel can most certainly turn me around for sure. The good news is that the problems with Brutal Legend are far more easier to fix in my opinion than Assassins Creed, and I most certainly have faith that the team at Double-Fine can learn from their mistakes.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @vidiot said:
    " Now with that being said: I wouldn't mind seeing Brutal Legend 2. 
    Assassins Creed 2 has given me hope that developers are ready to change and learn from glaring game-breaking faults such as this. If I hated the first Assassins Creed, (boy did I ever) then a sequel can most certainly turn me around for sure. The good news is that the problems with Brutal Legend are far more easier to fix in my opinion than Assassins Creed, and I most certainly have faith that the team at Double-Fine can learn from their mistakes. "
    I agree. If Double-Fine can improve on this, I would be a happy boy.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Am I the only person at Giantbomb that enjoys the Brutal Legend RTS?

You people go into the RTS area with the thought 'OH ITS JUST LIKE STARCRAFT!'. It's not. It doesn't feel like any other RTS I can think of. You don't go into it expecting anything. You just go into it and open your mind to learning. Only then will you appreciate the Brutal Legend RTS mode.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    @SuperSecretAgenda: I went into that having an open mind. And then I started losing without any indication.
    Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By Tireyo

Well, at least you didn't buy it. If you didn't like the game, no sense of trying to finish it. If you really want to finish it, rent it again.

I like to rent games, and if I like it enough I'll buy it; if not, I don't bother.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#16  Edited By Soap

It was my most dissapointing game of 2009. :/

hoseph1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By hoseph1337

I may be crazy, but I personally thought the RTS sections were the best. I never really have enjoyed console RTS games, but I love the multiplayer. Maybe it's just the fact that I get my butt stomped on normal RTS's because I try to keep all of my units together. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By TheHBK

You see the characters and the awesome world and art design, and you got to think to yourself, if they had made this an open world game, an adventure game, like infamous almost but in this world, it would have been amazing.  Almost an RPG too, where you have side quests, missions, people to meet.  But damn, Tim Schaefer fucked up.  Guess he was trying to go for the "this world is at war" kind of thing.

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Noxpectius

I finished it in one sitting. I liked what it offered in the main campaign, but there are just so many areas you go through that have 1 RTS battle, then you move on. The World was there, they should have just made more, and just more varied, Quests. Now, I sold the game after two days. I dont Think its doing all that well either, my gameshop rarely drops prices, but Brutal Legend became 25 Euros this morning. Seems a bit soon for a game that only came out a few months ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.