Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Brütal Legend

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Brütal Legend is a humorous heavy-metal, open-world, action-adventure game with light real-time strategy elements. As Eddie Riggs, lead the people of the Brütal World to rise up against the Tainted Coil demons who rule the world, and their leader, the sinister Emperor Doviculus.

Brutal Legend: Impressions and other thoughts.

IgnisCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By IgnisCA

I thought I would make my first blog post. 

I've played a few games recently which I think I can write intelligently about: Halo 3: ODST, Mini Ninjas, Batman: Arkham Asylum and most recently Brutal Legend. 

Now, while I did beat the game, I did not complete it, and so I don't think my impressions qualify as a full review. My impressions below will be largely spoiler free, I will assume that at the very least you've completed the demo, or know the basis of the story. 

First Impressions: The Demo

The demo amazed me, it was immediately engaging and entertaining. The characterization of Eddie Riggs was great, and the world he was in was great. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments, and some really interesting combat. However, at the end of the demo you use "Earthshaker" ability to drop the gate on the giant monster. I took me a good minute or two to sort that out, and while that in and of itself isn't terrible, having Ophelia yelling at me every 5 seconds was incredilby painful. 

My frustration was rewarded with a great little cut-scene and I remained unscarred. 

Beyond the Demo    

After I played through the initial portion of the game again, after renting it, I was pumped. I went straight into the first missions and came across the beginnings of the RTS portion of the gameplay. I had read reviews that hadn't been overly impressed, but I found it incredibly fulfilling.  

I played though a few missions then set out on the island in search of bound dragons, legends, view points and secondary missions. The initial progression curve made this fun, I was getting new axes, new moves, new parts for the Deuce, I kept doing secondary missions because I wanted the items in the shop.  

The Legend tomes were incredibly well done, it was a treat to come across one. The bound dragons were good, they were hidden, but numerous enough that I could get a few health upgrades. However, the view points didn't do it for me, I think I skipped all of those cut scenes, a little voice over explaining the artefact or item you were seeing would have been fun, but they didn't do it for me. 

At different points I would decide to rejoin the story and it felt seamless and fun. I was introduced to the Stage battles and they were a blast. Then at the midpoint in the game there were some great plot elements that really enthralled me in their world and I wanted more, I was honestly pumped. However...  

Last Half

... the game just fizzled for me. A new portion of the island opened to me, but it didn't feel inviting like the first half. I understand that it shouldn't have felt warm and cozy inviting, but I literally felt that I wasn't supposed to explore it yet. So much so that by the end of the game I'd barely explored it. I pretty much went from story mission to story mission. What made this even more doable though was there was no longer any reason to do secondary missions. I had all the stuff I wanted, there were no more combos, and the weapon options presented to me didn't seem better than the axe I was using. 

So I just progressed the story. That was cool with me though, I was enjoying it, but that didn't come to a head the way I expected either. After the story ended (I didn't even realize I was on the last mission) I felt unfulfilled, there were things I wanted to know, and still didn't understand, I'm not sure if the legends would have filled some of it in, but I felt like I missed a lot, but at the same time, I didn't want any more.

Summary

There are games that you play and play, even after you beat them, there are games that you never beat because they just don't hold your interest. Brutal Legend fell nicely in between, I beat it, but I don't know when or if I'd pick it up again.

IgnisCA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IgnisCA

I thought I would make my first blog post. 

I've played a few games recently which I think I can write intelligently about: Halo 3: ODST, Mini Ninjas, Batman: Arkham Asylum and most recently Brutal Legend. 

Now, while I did beat the game, I did not complete it, and so I don't think my impressions qualify as a full review. My impressions below will be largely spoiler free, I will assume that at the very least you've completed the demo, or know the basis of the story. 

First Impressions: The Demo

The demo amazed me, it was immediately engaging and entertaining. The characterization of Eddie Riggs was great, and the world he was in was great. There were a couple of laugh out loud moments, and some really interesting combat. However, at the end of the demo you use "Earthshaker" ability to drop the gate on the giant monster. I took me a good minute or two to sort that out, and while that in and of itself isn't terrible, having Ophelia yelling at me every 5 seconds was incredilby painful. 

My frustration was rewarded with a great little cut-scene and I remained unscarred. 

Beyond the Demo    

After I played through the initial portion of the game again, after renting it, I was pumped. I went straight into the first missions and came across the beginnings of the RTS portion of the gameplay. I had read reviews that hadn't been overly impressed, but I found it incredibly fulfilling.  

I played though a few missions then set out on the island in search of bound dragons, legends, view points and secondary missions. The initial progression curve made this fun, I was getting new axes, new moves, new parts for the Deuce, I kept doing secondary missions because I wanted the items in the shop.  

The Legend tomes were incredibly well done, it was a treat to come across one. The bound dragons were good, they were hidden, but numerous enough that I could get a few health upgrades. However, the view points didn't do it for me, I think I skipped all of those cut scenes, a little voice over explaining the artefact or item you were seeing would have been fun, but they didn't do it for me. 

At different points I would decide to rejoin the story and it felt seamless and fun. I was introduced to the Stage battles and they were a blast. Then at the midpoint in the game there were some great plot elements that really enthralled me in their world and I wanted more, I was honestly pumped. However...  

Last Half

... the game just fizzled for me. A new portion of the island opened to me, but it didn't feel inviting like the first half. I understand that it shouldn't have felt warm and cozy inviting, but I literally felt that I wasn't supposed to explore it yet. So much so that by the end of the game I'd barely explored it. I pretty much went from story mission to story mission. What made this even more doable though was there was no longer any reason to do secondary missions. I had all the stuff I wanted, there were no more combos, and the weapon options presented to me didn't seem better than the axe I was using. 

So I just progressed the story. That was cool with me though, I was enjoying it, but that didn't come to a head the way I expected either. After the story ended (I didn't even realize I was on the last mission) I felt unfulfilled, there were things I wanted to know, and still didn't understand, I'm not sure if the legends would have filled some of it in, but I felt like I missed a lot, but at the same time, I didn't want any more.

Summary

There are games that you play and play, even after you beat them, there are games that you never beat because they just don't hold your interest. Brutal Legend fell nicely in between, I beat it, but I don't know when or if I'd pick it up again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.